Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,194 members, 7,829,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (97563 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 22, 2011
The point of this thread is not to hate or love any particular tribe.

But I see that ppl are admitting that those attires DO belong to Yorubas. That's all.

Cultural influence happens. Esp in this 21st century.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Afam4eva(m): 5:56pm On Nov 22, 2011
It happens both ways. But the influence is minimal.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 6:07pm On Nov 22, 2011
There is no problem.

We welcome every potential yoruba into our fold.

Let us know if assistance is needed with governance, romance issues, cultural know how, etc. We'll send someone over to teach these things.

No biggie and nothing new. We are all one.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 6:42pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

There is no problem.

We welcome every potential yoruba into our fold.

Let us know if assistance is needed with governance, romance issues, cultural know how, etc. We'll send someone over to teach these things.

How can you teach something you lack? Now scram. Dont jump your boundaries.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by lagcity(m): 6:48pm On Nov 22, 2011
Chyz*:

How can you teach something you lack? Now scram. Dont jump your boundaries.

Are u not the clown who said ibos wear Yoruba and Hausa clothing to blend in and do business? why are ibos still wearing it in America and Western world? is it also to blend in with Yoruba or what? cheesy
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by NegroNtns(m): 6:53pm On Nov 22, 2011
I've watched the argument back and forth on this topic.  I don't even think I need to come in annd give backgroud on Yoruba traditional garments and its origin.

It's true Igbo have the right to wear what they want, that freedom of choice does not in any way invalidate the point here; the style, craft and custom of agbada and its accustomed hat for men and gele and pakaja for women are Yoruba cultural identity.  If Igbo dress in these same attire then it's copied from Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by lagcity(m): 7:09pm On Nov 22, 2011
It doesn't even matter where Boubou originated. The point is that it is not the same cut as the Hausa riga and Yoruba agbada. The cut and style makes all the difference. Hausa and Yoruba haven't always worn flowing robes like Agbada and they may ditch it 50 yrs from now. Maybe then, others in Eastern region would have fully adopted it and even modify it further. That is how clothing culture and tradition changes.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by NegroNtns(m): 7:38pm On Nov 22, 2011
Hausa and Yoruba haven't always worn flowing robes like Agbada

That's not true. You don't know the history so dont go into that alley.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 8:20pm On Nov 22, 2011
lagcity:

Are u not the clown who said ibos wear Yoruba and Hausa clothing to blend in and do business? why are ibos still wearing it in America and Western world? is it also to blend in with Yoruba or what? cheesy

The names chyz* and no i never said anything like that so go bury you face omo. grin
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 8:55pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

There is no problem.

We welcome every potential yoruba into  our fold.

Concentrate on converting the ones in Lagos first.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by NegroNtns(m): 9:03pm On Nov 22, 2011
Eze, the ones in Lagos are already conditioned to see West as their surrogate home and political shelter. It's an incremental psychological re-orientation. In few more years their naturalized children ad grand children will spit at you if you dare call them Igbo.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 9:04pm On Nov 22, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Eze, the ones in Lagos are already conditioned to see West as their surrogate home and political shelter.  It's an incremental psychological re-orientation.  In few more years their naturalized children ad grand children will spit at you if you dare call them Igbo.

That's good. That means they will one day hold office as governor. By the way are they spitting out Igbo yet? And I guess their licking Yoruba and wearing their desert clothes?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 9:20pm On Nov 22, 2011
look, lets face the facts here.

the rate at which yoruba men are gallivanting around, swooping in and carrying off women of other tribes is indeed out of control and i'd be alarmed too if it were me.

so the next best thing is to get this swagger or mojo or whatever you want to call it. Let the ladies see the thing wey dey shack dem in the yoruba dudes, in their own men as well.

if na agbada and cap dem dey take oppress these non-yoruba guys, then agbada will suffer a sea change and move temporarily to the other side of the niger.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by NegroNtns(m): 9:21pm On Nov 22, 2011
That means they will one day hold office as governor.

After they shed the blood of Oduduwa enemies, Yes!
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 9:25pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

look, lets face the facts here.

the rate at which yoruba men are gallivanting around, swooping in and carrying off women of other tribes is indeed out of control and i'd be alarmed too if it were me.

so the next best thing is to get this swagger or mojo or whatever you want to call it. Let the ladies see the thing wey dey shack dem in the yoruba dudes, in their own men as well.

if na agbada and cap dem dey take oppress these non-yoruba guys, then agbada will suffer a sea change and move temporarily to the other side of the niger.

I don't know if you know anything about Nigeria, but it's men that usually chase women, not the other way. And there are excess Igbo women on this earth so it's okay for them to go and spread culture elsewhere, like they are with other Nigerians, Caribbean's, and African Americans. Go and ask the Kalabari how it turned out for them. The hand that rocks the cradle. . . . .

[size=4pt](imagine bragging about your men travelling to find other women to marry instead!)[/size]

Negro_Ntns:

After they shed the blood of Oduduwa enemies, Yes!

Don't even know what the means, but yeah, whatever.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 9:40pm On Nov 22, 2011
ezeagu:

I don't know if you know anything about Nigeria, but it's men that usually chase women, not the other way. And there are excess Igbo women on this earth so it's okay for them to go and spread culture elsewhere, like they are with other Nigerians, Caribbean's, and African Americans. Go and ask the Kalabari how it turned out for them. The hand that rocks the cradle. . . . .

we have to face facts here- most non-yoruba women find yoruba men very attractive.

i dont know the whys and wherefores but that's how it is.

as i pointed out elsewhere, yoruba men are an acceptable alternative to hausa, who are more or less forbidden for the most part.

imagine bragging about your men travelling to find other women to marry instead

not sure where you're seeing bragging.

i'm simply commenting on what i've observed?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 9:47pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

we have to face facts here- most non-yoruba women find yoruba men very attractive.

i dont know the whys and wherefores but that's how it is.

Can I say I expected anything better? I think the answer is no.

Men chase women, women don't chase men (especially Igbo women). As for attractiveness, that's your own business.

tpia@:

not sure where you're seeing bragging.

i'm simply commenting on what i've observed?

You've observed that Yoruba women are being dumped for women of other cultures?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ChinenyeN(m): 9:48pm On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Cultural influence happens. Esp in this 21st century.
The correct term would actually be diffusion.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 10:04pm On Nov 22, 2011
ezeagu:

You've observed that Yoruba women are being dumped for women of other cultures?

give examples.

last time i checked, nigerian men in general are running haywire in every nook and cranny looking for foreign women [and men] to assist them with papers.

doubt its an exclusively yoruba thing and dont go there because you might be pointing fingers at others while ignoring the fingers pointing back at you.

Men chase women, women don't chase men

indeed.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 10:12pm On Nov 22, 2011
To relieve the tension, how about a nice dose of culture? cool

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8UJU-v5GFo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/flash]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ChinenyeN(m): 10:14pm On Nov 22, 2011
Odumchi, I'm still waiting on your reply in the "Are Igbos Culturally Fused?" topic, or did you think my question wasn't serious?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 10:20pm On Nov 22, 2011
stillwater:

Only on NL people think Igbos hate Yorubas and vice versa. You people should separate internet from reality, unless that's your reality sha.

It's just fashion people. Fashion in Nigeria has changed. Anybody can wear anything.
Like I said before, it's of recent Yoruba's started wearing this kind of gele. Maybe madam Kofo was the inspiration. lol.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-ERIHla7jXjE/Tkw23rbkjRI/AAAAAAAAAD8/g7HbLy7EWCQ/s1600/gele-photoshoot-behind-the-scenes32.jpg[/img]

The colorful geles are a recent modification from not even Nigeria. Geles used to look more like the top picture, but they have been modified to look like this now. That is fashion. Yoruba did not start it. That is why in your weddings you were aso-oke and Igbo and south south wear them more in their weddings.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-PIGQP9aHqxY/Tkw210Qdp9I/AAAAAAAAAD4/RvjQJY1Hx74/s1600/Ade+Adetayo.png[/img]

Someone said Igbos called it Ichafu. That is why in most Igbo weddings and South South weddings they wear them more. You people should stop using internet to know the Nigerian culture, go to Naija. Everyone knows the stereotypical yoruba dressing is aso-oke, and south east to be the george and the gele. That is the Nigeria I grew up in. Let's not twist fact. I think Madam Kofo actually paved way for Yorubas to start embracing this type of gele.

See Dakore's wedding.

Igbo Wedding

Even this paper-gele is becoming old school. What people wear now has this lacy texture to it in Nigeria.

This is a Yoruba girl getting married. Her sisters wore Igbo style of dressing, double wrapper george and lace top. The gele they are wearing is the modern modification of old school geles. It has a lacy texture. That is what is reigning now in Naija.

These material the girls on the side of the bride would pass for george.

On a closing note, Igbo people are not one dimensional, you can do whatever you like, wear whatever you like. It's all fashion. Afterall this is an Igbo couple on their wedding day, lol.

Same with Yoruba people. I'm sure I've seen the Indian style dressing in a couple of Yoruba weddings. grin
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 10:24pm On Nov 22, 2011
still water

the yoruba couple with bridesmaids in igbo dressing, probably have igbo admixture hence the dressing would be a reflection of their ancestry.

or the friends might be igbo.

the guy in indian dress is modelling it i suppose. He might be from kwara where they have a lot of fulani.

@ other photos in your post:

the material for the gele is damask like.

yoruba women had headties which were the same material as the wrappers. Then this changed to different materials over the years until we have the variety we see today. Which has also evolved to the lacy type now in vogue.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 10:28pm On Nov 22, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Odumchi, I'm still waiting on your reply in the "Are Igbos Culturally Fused?" topic, or did you think my question wasn't serious?

Didn't even notice it. I'll reply soon.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 10:30pm On Nov 22, 2011
for stillwater

In the 1950’s a British company “Hayes” made most of the Yoruba high fashion head ties.  In the 1970’s those head ties incorporated N  and $ (Naira or money) symbols into the woven fabric and other high society associated symbols including the Mercedes Benz symbol.   In the 1970’s the more popular head ties came from Switzerland.  Today they come from China.

There was a time when head ties were made of silk.  But when a head ties is old or of floppy material one has to stuff it with a plastic bag or paper for it to hold its shape.  Damask was used by the wealthy ladies as head ties because it was heady.  However, it was also difficult to tie.  If you are high fashion Nigerian then once a year you will clean out your head ties and distribute them to relatives who do not have as much as them. It is also quite fashionable to take old head ties turn them into quilts.

http://www.detomosabroad.com/?p=269
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ChinenyeN(m): 10:34pm On Nov 22, 2011
odumchi:

Didn't even notice it. I'll reply soon.
Alright, thank you.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 10:50pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

give examples.

last time i checked, nigerian men in general are running haywire in every nook and cranny looking for foreign women [and men] to assist them with papers.

doubt its an exclusively yoruba thing and dont go there because you might be pointing fingers at others while ignoring the fingers pointing back at you.

Don't understand why you're wagging your finger at me because of your own observation. If handsome Yoruba men are snatching even beautifuler Igbo women away, that also means Yoruba women are left behind, or maybe the gap is being magically filled somehow?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 10:53pm On Nov 22, 2011
Crap

no culture is static, Cultures are dynamic, that is why it is called culture

Igbos have influences Yoruba and much as yoruba to igbo

In terms of dressing, Yes check out Lagos state governor, He wears Igbo Attire

is that not mixing

just to set things straight
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 22, 2011
Also, no one is claiming that Yorubas were not or are not being influenced by other culture.

I see a alot of acculturation between Binis and Yorubas, both influence each other.

However, the topic as of right now, is the Yoruba influence on Igbos.

Anybody is allowed to make another thread of another influence.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 11:33pm On Nov 22, 2011
ChinenyeN:

The correct term would actually be diffusion.

Diffusion, also. Not te correct term. A term that can also be used in this situation.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 11:48pm On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Also, no one is claiming that Yorubas were not or are not being influenced by other culture.

I see a alot of acculturation between Binis and Yorubas, both influence each other.

However, the topic as of right now, is the Yoruba influence on Igbos.

Anybody is allowed to make another thread of another influence.

Believe it or not, I am yet to see Yoruba influence on Igbo culture. Attire (in the sort that has been posted on this thread) is not necessarily culture, rather it is "fashion".

Until Igbo people practice Yoruba marriage customs or answer Yoruba names, I can't say that theres any real influence on Yoruba on Igbo or vise versa. If you are serious about searching for real cultural influences groups have had upon each other, you'd look well before 1900.

Please refer to the video I posted above to see traditional Igbo clothing (especially on the women). I'm actuality, most of these things people wear today were not adorned by their ancestors 100 or even 200 years ago.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 11:55pm On Nov 22, 2011
odumchi:

Believe it or not, I am yet to see Yoruba influence on Igbo culture. Attire (in the sort that has been posted on this thread) is not necessarily culture, rather it is "fashion".

Until Igbo people practice Yoruba marriage customs or answer Yoruba names, I can't say that theres any real influence on Yoruba on Igbo or vise versa. If you are serious about searching for real cultural influences groups have had upon each other, you'd look well before 1900.

Please refer to the video I posted above to see traditional Igbo clothing (especially on the women). I'm actuality, most of these things people wear today were not adorned by their ancestors 100 or even 200 years ago.

It's okay to call it "fashion".

It's not American influence that the global world now wears jeans or shirt over jeans. It's fashion.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.