Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,616 members, 7,955,266 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:57 PM

Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? (9291 Views)

Will Nigeria Ever Become A Developed Country? / Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? / A Developed And Educated North Is The Last Thing Yorubas And Igbos Want (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Idealkocep: 6:02pm On Nov 21, 2011
Based on what we were thought those days in school and what we read in papers today, Countries like Italy, USA, France, and etc. despite their dwindling economy and low credit ratings are still called Developed countries. Whereas China of today even with their massive economic base and sprawling military might is classified as developing country. On the other hand Nigeria, the largest economy in West Africa and second in Africa, is also a developing country.

My questions are:-
1. Is the case of developing and developed countries based on politics and civilization?
2. Can a country move from developed to developing?
3. What are the yardsticks for classifying a country as developed or developing countries?
4. Can Nigeria in our own generation be referred as developed country?
5. If question 4 is yes, how long will it take and what caliber of Leader do we need to truly kick start the transition from developing to developed country?

Valuable contributions seriously needed,

This is my first topic in the forum; please forgive me if I fall short of the existing standards.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 21, 2011
Answer: Yes.

When: Never.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Idealkocep: 9:51pm On Nov 21, 2011
@Ileke-IdI, why never. please expatiate.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by maki(f): 4:30pm On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Answer: Yes.

When: Never.

best answer ever, grin
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Fhemmmy: 4:31pm On Nov 22, 2011
Nigeria and their leaders knows the right thing to do, but they have refused to do it why?
Cos they dont want equality
Cost they know they will not be able to steal the way they do now when things are better.
Who will finance campaign when we all have light and the importer of generators are no more needed .   . . .

We just have a nation that is clawed with too many demonic people as leaders
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by VoodooDoll(m): 4:39pm On Nov 22, 2011
Nigeria (or its constituent parts) can develop. It will happen despite all our faults.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by omo9ja1(m): 4:40pm On Nov 22, 2011
I think Nigeria pose too long for development, but I have not lost hope , better dey come 0o00
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Fhemmmy: 4:43pm On Nov 22, 2011
omo9ja1:

I think Nigeria pose too long for development, but I have not lost hope , better dey come 0o00

That was the statement of my great grand father and yet, he was long gone and nothing happened . . . . We have a nation that is due for development and has all it takes, but we have terrible leadership and that has eaten into the people like a bad worm and now no one really cares again.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by brainpulse: 4:44pm On Nov 22, 2011
Only when revolution begins and ends in our time
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by juman(m): 4:45pm On Nov 22, 2011
Probably never

Nigeria is a country in the year 1950s
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Baawaa(m): 4:53pm On Nov 22, 2011
YES,Nigeria can become a Developed country.As far as this country is concerned we are blessed with natural resources,man power and good weather.The main problem is CORRUPTION
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Fhemmmy: 4:53pm On Nov 22, 2011
juman:

Probably never

Nigeria is a country in the year 1950s
Tell them, please . .  Nigeria has been stagnant and allowing the little nations to be making waves. . .  yet we have leaders that just dont give a damn, they just wanna loot and move on
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Fhemmmy: 4:54pm On Nov 22, 2011
Baawaa:

YES,Nigeria can become a Developed country.As far as this country is concerned we are blessed with natural resources,man power and good weather.The main problem is CORRUPTION

You could say that again and we are blessed with wisdom and favor of God sef . . .else, that nation would have been wiped off the face of the planet
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Afam4eva(m): 4:57pm On Nov 22, 2011
The truth is bitter but has to be said. Nigeria does not look like a nation that will develop in the next 50 years. There's no light in the tunnel. It's an unfortunate truth.

2 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Godmann(m): 4:58pm On Nov 22, 2011
Nigeria can if and only if there is a REVOLUTION that brings in a people's oriented Government.

Tell me a developed/progressive country without a revolution?

Revolution creates  grounds for the people to take ownership of the government. Unless we achieve this, we will remain the way we are.

If you want progress, work for change/Revolution (Not necessarily by waste of blood by a serious conviction to reclaim what belongs to us.)
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Afam4eva(m): 5:01pm On Nov 22, 2011
Does Nigeria appear to you as a country that will experience any revolution in the next 20 years?

Nigerians have become so selfish and disjointed to forge a common course of action.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by proffmanue(m): 5:02pm On Nov 22, 2011
we should ask Israel how she moved from a third world country to a first world country. we are been governed by politicians that said graduates are unemployable, yet they are products of the same system. yes, Nigeria can develop if we start investing in science and technology because that is the pride of any nation.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by juman(m): 5:03pm On Nov 22, 2011
Godman_n:

Nigeria can if and only if there is a REVOLUTION that brings in a people's oriented Government.

Revolution creates grounds for the people to take ownership of the government. Unless we achieve this, we will remain the way we are.

If you want progress, work for change/Revolution (Not necessarily by waste of blood by a serious conviction to reclaim what belongs to us.)

Separation would be better. Or revolution that would lead to separation.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by deco2come: 5:04pm On Nov 22, 2011

@Poster

In my own opinion, no country is consider developed or developing. Technology change with time just like any other thing else. For example, check the meaning of Uranium as of 1890-1930, the dictionary defined it as a substance that amount to small or no value. But check the meaning again today, you will get my point.

Around 1600, China was the richest country in the world. I am sure that if you ask any of their professor as of the time, they will tell you that their country(China) is the most developed country in the world.

The same applys to Egypt when they where the world power and the most richest. I believe the same applies to Roman and other great countries of the  past.

Regarding Nigeria being developed, if we have to judge with the situation of today I will say that we still have a long we to go.

As things change, countries might not be consider developed anymore.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by paniki(m): 5:06pm On Nov 22, 2011
Japan has a population that can be roughly compared to Nigeria and they are also cramped in a small area. So we shall consider Nigeria to be developed once it looks like Japan grin grin grin grin
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Afam4eva(m): 5:07pm On Nov 22, 2011
paniki:

Japan has a population that can be roughly compared to Nigeria and they are also cramped in a small area. So we shall consider Nigeria to be developed once it looks like Japan grin grin grin grin

I don't get where you're coming from. Is this a joke?
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by pat077: 5:09pm On Nov 22, 2011
Vision 2020; an illusion.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by chopper(m): 5:10pm On Nov 22, 2011
You got it all wrong, countries like CHINA, INDIA, BRAZIL, INDONESIA, SOUTH AFRICA  and some in this category have really caught up with the so called developed countries if not surpass them. We now have what we call the G20 nations which includes the traditional G8 nations and this group that i just mentioned called the EMERGING  economies. May it be stated here that soooo many nations have left Nigeria behind. W e do not even need to go far as countries like GHANA and even BOTSWANA have been termed to be emerging economy by 2020. Nigeria falls in the league of nations like SUDAN that have just divided, so watch out, Nigeria will be next in line. After then can we now categorize the new entities that will evolve from the break up.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by executinal(m): 5:12pm On Nov 22, 2011
Yes
If Nigeria can embark on resource control, most of this problem will be addressed.Also once we have discipline and well articulated president who have the ball to deliver.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by hackney(m): 5:14pm On Nov 22, 2011
A country becomes whatever purely because of the type of people therein.
Development is not just having more and more buildings (without even any drainage first, i might add)
A place can be built up but the society is monkey-like.
Thats definitely not development.

It is hopefull to believe that as the decades roll by, the nigerian society might refine and start to see things
from a more mentally stable and balanced perspective (issues like just 1 person not having any need to steal billions).
The flaw there is that it might be a genetic compulsion and if monkey begets monkey, then . . . . . .

No 3rd world country has truly ever become 1st world and vice versa. (no matter how close by the exist).
WHY IS THAT?
Its the people.
chikena
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by pat077: 5:16pm On Nov 22, 2011
Godman_n:

Revolution creates  grounds for the people to take ownership of the government. Unless we achieve this, we will remain the way we are.

As long as there's an entity called Nigeria, forget about revolutn.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by umechuma: 5:31pm On Nov 22, 2011
[b]Nigeria as presently constituted may never develop in 50 years time.Northern part of Nigeria are not willing to develop because they are very conservative and religiously myopia and hardly welcome any major development policies,their leaders promote poverty in their communities and tell their people not to bother themselves about material things(but accept poverty as a way of life) and pray five things a day.
But the southern part of Nigeria are liberal and willing to welcome development,they are well-educated and travel to different part of the world like U.S,U.K,Italy,Germany,China and other developed countries of the world where they  mix and copy the ways they do things and apply them in Nigeria.
Nigeria can never develop as long as Northern and Southern Nigeria co-exit because they not share the same world view in terms of development.Most Northern Governors will not implement any radical development policies by the Federal govt but Southern Governors are always willing to make radical development strides(attracting foreign investors,building mega projects and better infrastructure) but corruption has been a barrier for those efforts to see the light of the day.[/b]
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by bkbabe97y(m): 5:31pm On Nov 22, 2011
Sorry, but your country will never develop. The youths are cowards, greedy and very tribalistic. . . . especially the South East and to a slightly less dangerous extent, the North.

Wanna bet that if an election was to hold again tomorrow, Ibos could be counted on to[b] MASSIVELY[/b] vote in GEJ again?! His name's Ebele, remember?
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Afam4eva(m): 5:32pm On Nov 22, 2011
Is this idiota still alive?
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Fhemmmy: 5:33pm On Nov 22, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Sorry, but your country will never develop. The youths are cowards, greedy and very tribalistic. . . . especially the South East and to a slightly less dangerous extent, the North.

Wanna bet that if an election was to hold again tomorrow, Ibos could be counted on to[b] MASSIVELY[/b] vote in GEJ again?! His name's Ebele, remember?

And selfish too
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:33pm On Nov 22, 2011
Lolz
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 22, 2011
Nigeria cn be a developed nation by 3040 after learning from Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, Brazil, India.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Orji - My Commissioners, Permanent Secretaries Are Rogues / Metuh Reacts To Being Included In Looters' List By Lai Mohammed / Ohanaeze Youths Seek Buhari’s Intervention In Kanu’s Arrest Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.