Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,819 members, 7,841,166 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story (9561 Views)

Controversy Surrounds Demolition Of Property Next To Gbajabiamila's Residence / Zahra Buhari To Sue Sahara Reporters Over N51 Billion Fraud Story / House Of Reps Member In Ekiti Defects To Apc,sends Letter To Gbajabiamila(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by naptu2: 9:22am On May 09
First News apologises to Gbajabiamila over alleged $30 billion fraud story

First News publishes retraction of the story concerning Mr Gbajabiamila with apology on its website.

By Ameh Ejekwonyilo
May 8, 2024

The management of First News, an online newspaper, has retracted a story of a purported $30 billion fraud story allegedly involving President Bola Tinubu’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila.

The newspaper published a retraction of the story with apology on its website on Wednesday.

The controversial news story, authored by the newspaper’s editor, Segun Olatunji,
was published on 29 January.

It was published with the title, ‘How Gbajabiamila attempted to corner $30bn, 66 houses traced to Sabiu’.

But retracting the article on Wednesday, the First News management admitted that it found out that the publication about Mr Gbajabiamila contained “falsehoods and fabricated stories handed out to us as facts by a misleading source which was highly negligent on our part and for which we deeply tender an unreserved apology to the Chief of Staff to the President.”

The media outlet further said it has no malicious intent towards Mr Gbajabiamila

“Hence, our decision to tender an unreserved apology and the need to publish a retraction of the said story,” it added.

Gbajabiamila’s threat to sue

First News’ apology came days after Mr Gbajabiamila’s lawyer, Kemi Pinheiro, wrote the outlet demanding apology over the defamatory publication against his client.

In the letter dated 3 May and addressed to Mr Olatunji, Mr Pinheiro, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), demanded First News apologises within seven days of the receipt of the letter. The letter of demand for retraction was published by the law firm in the 7 May (Tuesday) publication of ThisDay newspaper.

The lawyer added that the retraction must be published in two Nigerian dailies, and the apology letter circulated on the same media platforms on which the disputed article was published.

Mr Pinheiro threatened that should First News fail to comply with his client’s demands, a defamation suit would be instituted against the newspaper.

Background

As a fallout of the defamatory article against Mr Gbajabiamila, Mr Olatunji said he was seized from his home in Lagos on 15 March and flown to Abuja by the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA).

Mr Olatunji was detained for 14 days. He was only released following persistent demands by the International Press Institute (IPI), the Nigerian Guild of Editors, the Nigeria Union of Journalists and other civil society groups.

His arrest and manhandling drew outrage within the human rights community in Nigeria.

In the defamatory article, Mr Gbajabiamila was portrayed as re-looting funds and landed properties allegedly recovered from Tunde Sabiu, an aide and relative to former President Muhammadu Buhari.

First News says it has now determined that the claims about the Chief of Staff were fabricated.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/692445-first-news-apologises-to-gbajabiamila-over-alleged-30-billion-fraud-story.html

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by naptu2: 9:22am On May 09
Olatunji Resigns As First News Editor After Publisher’s Apology to Gbajabiamila

Published 8th May, 2024
By Opeyemi Lawal

Segun Olatunji, the editor of FirstNews, has resigned from his position following an apology by the management of the organisation to Femi Gbajabiamila, Chief of Staff to the President.

In a statement he shared with FIJ on Wednesday evening, Olatunji said while his resignation was important for his and his family’s safety, he is confident that the truth would be revealed with time.

“In view of the latest development regarding the Gbajabiamila story and the stance of the company’s Management, I hereby tender my resignation as the General Editor of First News,” he said.

“It has become imperative for me to resign my appointment for the safety of my person and my family. However, I want to state that in no distant time, the truth will come out and then it’ll be my word against theirs.

“I hope the Management of First Media Network Limited, publishers of First News newspaper, will be magnanimous enough to fully settle the one-year outstanding salaries I am being owed, in no time.

“I thank the company’s management for giving me the opportunity to contribute my quota to its operations in the past four years.”

In an apology also published by FIJ, the management of First News said it had discovered the said story contained “falsehoods and fabricated stories handed out to us as facts by a misleading source which was highly negligent on our part and for which we deeply tender an unreserved apology to the Chief of Staff to the President”.

https://fij.ng/article/olatunji-resigns-as-first-news-editor-after-publishers-apology-to-gbajabiamila/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by naptu2: 9:29am On May 09
Previous thread.

1 Like

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by EmiloCorn: 9:33am On May 09
Awesome cheesy
Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by Urheadmaster(m): 9:37am On May 09
tongue

Criminals masquerading as leaders

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by helinues: 9:51am On May 09
They should be taught a bitter lesson instead in order to stop others who are fake news merchant

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by NoniblaqStore(m): 9:55am On May 09
Apologies comes in different shape and sizes, some apology is said just to shut you up, some is said to mock you while others is said to avoid trouble. Anyway I sell quality vintage shirts, ranked number one in the world. See my thread now

6 Likes

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by nenergy(m): 9:56am On May 09
Booked
Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by SeeWahala: 9:56am On May 09
helinues:
They should be taught a bitter lesson instead in order to stop others who are fake news merchant

Like APC's agbad0rians abi?

1 Like

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by atiku4President(m): 9:57am On May 09
Fake news is bad, but APC started it in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by grandstar(m): 9:57am On May 09
Does one need to be a rocket scientist to know this news is fake?

How much is the country's budget that someone will corner $30bn? The budget is barely $24bn.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by Imka: 9:58am On May 09
Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by SmartyPants(m): 9:58am On May 09
It has reached a point where both sides of the divide know that the majority of these stories are either outright fabrications, or exaggerations, or dilutions of the truth. But it is politically expedient and unfortunately, most of our media houses do not adhere to the ethics of good journalism.

I am convinced that if you dig deeper into any of these outlets you will find that many of them receive funding from unusual sources such as the diaspora. Heavy agendas are being pursued using the media.

It's so bad that once I'm reading any news article and see that the source is "an unnamed source" I am convinced that the story is likely a fabrication. The media should be the one neutral party that we can trust as we navigate these present perilous waters as a nation but nope, they prefer to thrust us deeper into contrived chaos.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by Dannyset(m): 9:59am On May 09
grin

What's funny is that some dumb people believed one person will loot a 30 billion dollars in this Nigeria. They are that dumb!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by nenergy(m): 9:59am On May 09
nenergy:
As a fallout of the defamatory article against Mr Gbajabiamila, Mr Olatunji said he was seized from his home in Lagos on 15 March and flown to Abuja by the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA).

Mr Olatunji was detained for 14 days. He was only released following persistent demands by the International Press Institute (IPI), the Nigerian Guild of Editors, the Nigeria Union of Journalists and other civil society groups.
After illegal arrest, detention and harassment. All of you will serve jail terms one day!

1 Like

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by Naijanascam: 10:00am On May 09
On The mandate we shall stand

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by grandstar(m): 10:01am On May 09
SmartyPants:
It has reached a point where both sides of the divide know that the majority of these stories are either outright fabrications or exagerraions, or dilutions of the truth. But it is politically expedient and unfortunately, most of our media houses do not adhere to the ethics of good journalism.

I am convinced that if you dig deeper into any of these outlets you will find that many of them receive funding from unusual sources such s the diaspora. heavy agendas are being pursued using the media.

It's so bad that once I'm reading any news article and see that the source is "an unnamed source" I am convinced that the story is likely a fabrication. The media should be the one neutral party that we can trust as we navigate these present perilous waters as a nation but nope, they prefer to thrust us deeper into contrived chaos.

I wonder how uneducated one must be to publish such mind blowing figures?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by theophorus(m): 10:01am On May 09
If you no get who go fight for you Abeg no just dem push Fake news ooo, make dem no go carry you go where you no know ooo.

No let make your Bitterness control your brain to your hand to post Iberiberism ooo.

#Okbye

2 Likes

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by Konquest: 10:01am On May 09
naptu2:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/692445-first-news-apologises-to-gbajabiamila-over-alleged-30-billion-fraud-story.html
It's time to fully activate the aspects of online and offline defamation laws. It's NOT enough to make apologies (and accept apologies here) because fabricated news stories go viral online and remain there for life. These FAKE stories have populated cyberspace and in 10 to 15 years when online searches are being made, the younger ones would stumble on these fabricated and defamatory stories and believe them.

History is being distorted right before our very eyes with fake news and those among the deviant Journalists and wannabe bloggers and YouTubers who relentlessly push out fabricated and HIGHLY defamatory news MUST be brought to maximum justice for engaging in mass misinformation of the public. The punishments must be severe to deter others.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by PerfectJUSTICE: 10:01am On May 09
Because na big man
Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by Judolisco(m): 10:02am On May 09
Baba fold.... An adage says if you don't have the antidote for stomach ache then don't eat cockroaches
Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by Randal: 10:02am On May 09
They have been armtwisted

1 Like

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by sheungeek(m): 10:03am On May 09
Cool
Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by SmartyPants(m): 10:03am On May 09
nenergy:

After illegal arrest, detention and harassment. All of you will serve jail terms one day!

He was arrested on March 15th and released 14 days after, on March 29th. How is a retraction coming on the 7th of May, nearly a month and a half later, possibly linked to that earlier arrest and release, but not - to your mind - the later warning letter served on them on the 3rd of May, just 4 days apart?

Must I think for you? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by HopeUzodinma: 10:04am On May 09
Story
Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by emkz: 10:06am On May 09
This is a post I made about a broadcast media. The practice has been common among the print media over the years.

Recently, a media house popular among the GenZs has been doing what was done hush hush in media circles in the past, i.e., when journalists are PR consultants to some wealthy but shady businessmen, companies, and politicians. Some of them are used to plant stories in the media or used to kill stories that may potentially embarrass their paymasters.

Some of the journalists who write lengthy columns in their newspapers sometime sell those columns to the highest bidder, where they write to promote the paymaster or demonize the paymaster's enemies sometimes.

If you see someone writing castigating someone, be rest assured that the writer may have been paid heavily for that hatchet job.

Senior journalists know what I am talking about and won't deny this. Some senior journalists opened companies to get PR contracts from shady businessmen.

It is a multi-million naira business.

If you open any newspaper and you see a company getting some favourable press, the company paid for it.

Trust me, if not for the advent of online journalism with Fisayo Soyombo's Foundation for Investigative Journalism and Sahara Reporters, Yahaya Bello's case would not have made it to the press. Nor IBD Dende.

Another trick is that when you see a media house consistently attack someone, they want the person to come and settle.

Above is the business model of one of the controversial TV stations in Nigeria. But they now carry out their media assassination in full glare of all of us.

They repeat a lie consistently until it becomes gospel truth to buffoons. What sort of journalism is that?

If they didn't receive PR consulting contracts, why was one television station consistent in attacking the candidate of the APC while giving positive press to the candidates of PDP and LP? It was so bad that the media proprietor of the said media house launched a direct attack on the candidate of the APC.

That had never happened in the history of Nigerian politics.

Now, why is the same media house discrediting the coastal road project? Did Landmark retain them for PR? Remember that this same media house never interviewed anyone or gave rigorous coverage to the Emefiele trial as they did the cases they had an interest towards protecting.

What I explained above was drawn from a petition written by a dismissed editor of PUNCH newspapers against a former director of the newspaper some ten years ago, and from my own observation of the media business. It was common in the print media; it is now being brought to the fore in the broadcast media by the same controversial television station.

It is shameful.

Ladies and gentlemen, while it is sensible to seek information and entertainment from the media, never forget that it is a business and the highest bidder receives the best press coverage.

They are not after your interest.

3 Likes

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by SmartyPants(m): 10:07am On May 09
grandstar:

I wonder how uneducated one must be to publish such mind blowing figures?

The sad part is the publishers are educated and know what they are doing. They are rather targeting the less educated masses who tend to consume everything once it appeals to certain emotions. This is propaganda at work, not ignorance.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by Paraman: 10:08am On May 09
Only dumb IPOBdients believed the news

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:12am On May 09
Enemies of the nation and stupid rumors sha.....

This reminds of the lies against Me Mohammed few years ago.
Quoted :

I explained that, even if I managed to divert every kobo of it to my personal account, it would take at least 104 years to save the sum of 1.3 billion dollars being peddled that I stole,” he said.
Mohammed added: “My wife insisted that the whole world believed the story and that her friends had as a result, besieged her with all kinds of requests.

Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: First News Apologises To Gbajabiamila Over Alleged $30 Billion Fraud Story by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:12am On May 09
Paraman:
Only dumb IPOBdients believed the news
Gbamsolutely!!
You've said it all.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

How GEJ/Yaradua Spent $67Billion / Give Us Light Now : Enough Is Enough / Nigeria's Unity Not Negotiable Senate Insists (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.