Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,586 members, 7,823,528 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should (9914 Views)

Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) / Peugeot 307 Problems! Help! Car Does Not Start When Hot! / Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by debsty(m): 4:04pm On Nov 22, 2011
Hello NL and Car gurus,

kindly help with this issue on my car. I drive a Camry 2002/2003 and i recently changed its top gasket due to an unfortunate incident that caused overheating on the car. I also had to change two the Plugheads (which comes with its own coil). I however noticed after this, that when i am driving and i come to a place where i need to slow down, it slows down but does not accelerate again immediately, it drags continuously and just gradually picks it momentum again, but this situation continues every time i slow down. I know my mechanic would just want to do some trial and error but i want to see if i can get some knowledge from those that have experienced it or the Car gurus. Please help!!!
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by Lexusgs430: 4:45pm On Nov 22, 2011
Was a pressure done after headgasket rebuild ?
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by Lexusgs430: 4:46pm On Nov 22, 2011
Pressure test I meant to say
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 22, 2011
debsty:

Hello NL and Car gurus,

kindly help with this issue on my car. I drive a Camry 2002/2003 and i recently changed its top gasket due to an unfortunate incident that caused overheating on the car. I also had to change two the Plugheads (which comes with its own coil). I however noticed after this, that when i am driving and i come to a place where i need to slow down, it slows down but does not accelerate again immediately, it drags continuously and just gradually picks it momentum again, but this situation continues every time i slow down. I know my mechanic would just want to do some trial and error but i want to see if i can get some knowledge from those that have experienced it or the Car gurus. Please help!!!

Plugs should always be changed as a set, never individually. But that's by the way.

From what you're describing, it sounds like your camshaft timing is ret[i]a[/i]rded. Obviously that would have been lost when the cylinder head was pulled. Over-advanced timing will cause quick acceleration from low speeds, with detonation when hot, but performance will drop off at mid range to top end. R[i]e[/i]tarded timing will cause sluggish pick-up from low speeds, though mid-range and top end will be fine.

I also hop the cylinder head was pressure and crack-tested before it was refitted. An over-heated cylinder head will most likely require skimming to make the mounting face perfectly flat, or if too badly warped, it should be junked in favour of a good replacement.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by debsty(m): 6:07pm On Nov 22, 2011
@ Lexusgs430 and @ Siena ,

I appreciate your comments so much. @Siena, what you just described as slow timing seems to fit into my situation. Also , if i should get the pressure and crack test right , it is done to ensure the Cylinder head is perfectly flat before the new gasket is mounted, yes this was done by the mechanic because we discussed this and he actually went to do it . Somebody had actually mentioned the timing to me and as i am getting to hear it from you again, it has reimforced the need to check the timing one more time.
Once again, i appreciate your comments.

Thanks
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by Nobody: 8:23pm On Nov 22, 2011
Wish you all the best debsty, and do remember to keep us posted.
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by debsty(m): 8:25pm On Nov 22, 2011
Would do just that!

I would however be glad to hear comments from those that have actually experienced similar situations.

Thanks.
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by vinmol: 5:43pm On May 17, 2012
hi Siena, i see you are a top guru on car matters
i wish u have an auto shop....

my golf 3 was doing fyn before i serviced it, i changed the oil and oil filter
since then it would not accelerate well, it drags and would not pick not matter how much i accelerate
pls can u help me, kindly advise me before these mechanics start their trial and error job on my car.
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by JamieSax: 4:15pm On Dec 04, 2018

Plugs should always be changed as a set, never individually. But that's by the way.

From what you're describing, it sounds like your camshaft timing is ret[i]a[/i]rded. Obviously that would have been lost when the cylinder head was pulled. Over-advanced timing will cause quick acceleration from low speeds, with detonation when hot, but performance will drop off at mid range to top end. R[i]e[/i]tarded timing will cause sluggish pick-up from low speeds, though mid-range and top end will be fine.

I also hop the cylinder head was pressure and crack-tested before it was refitted. An over-heated cylinder head will most likely require skimming to make the mounting face perfectly flat, or if too badly warped, it should be junked in favour of a good replacement.

Thank you so much...
I use a Nissan Path finder 2005 and series of work has been done on ... recently it started acting up like the gear indication disaapering from the dashboard and the car starts dragging when slowed down or comes to a stop... u have to rev hard to get it going again and wont even go uphill... and if I turn off the engine at that point it wont kick in fully to make a start unless I leave it for to cool off with 15 to 20 mins... I dont know if u can help me with a suggestion on what to do
Thank you
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by Alexgray(m): 4:36pm On Dec 04, 2018
You have already highlighted the problem.
The gear indicator disappear from the dash
Check your transmission oil. When last was it changed? What Kind do u use.? The issue as declined is transmission related
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by nurey(m): 5:35pm On Dec 04, 2018
JamieSax:

Thank you so much...
I use a Nissan Path finder 2005 and series of work has been done on ... recently it started acting up like the gear indication disaapering from the dashboard and the car starts dragging when slowed down or comes to a stop... u have to rev hard to get it going again and wont even go uphill... and if I turn off the engine at that point it wont kick in fully to make a start unless I leave it for to cool off with 15 to 20 mins... I dont know if u can help me with a suggestion on what to do
Thank you

The 2005 pathfinder had a factory error which was corrected by radiator bypass. The error causes total transmission failure as liquid from radiator sipped into transmission and vice-versal.

if you open your radiator and it's oily or your transmission dips tick is watery with signs of colour change or foreign liquid on it. Then you need a new transmission and a bypass also to avoid future occurrence.
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by JamieSax: 8:27pm On Dec 05, 2018
nurey:

The 2005 pathfinder had a factory error which was corrected by radiator bypass. The error causes total transmission failure as liquid from radiator sipped into transmission and vice-versal.

if you open your radiator and it's oily or your transmission dips tick is watery with signs of colour change or foreign liquid on it. Then you need a new transmission and a bypass also to avoid future occurrence.

Ok.. i only had the transmission changed last year... and now I recently worked on the radiator coolant which my mechanic said was faulty and as result inflow of water into the transmission and oil flowing into the radiator... but as u rightly indicated... I still see oily pastes In the radiator... even after working on it... do is till have to change the transmission again..cant something else be done ..pls...?

Thank you

Yes I had the entire oil changed using Abro ATF after working on the radiator transmission coolant
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by JamieSax: 8:30pm On Dec 05, 2018
Alexgray:
You have already highlighted the problem.
The gear indicator disappear from the dash
Check your transmission oil. When last was it changed? What Kind do u use.? The issue as declined is transmission related

Yes I just changed the transmission fluid Recently using Abro ATF
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by nurey(m): 10:13pm On Dec 05, 2018
JamieSax:

Ok.. i only had the transmission changed last year... and now I recently worked on the radiator coolant which my mechanic said was faulty and as result inflow of water into the transmission and oil flowing into the radiator... but as u rightly indicated... I still see oily pastes In the radiator... even after working on it... do is till have to change the transmission again..cant something else be done ..pls...?

Thank you

Yes I had the entire oil changed using Abro ATF after working on the radiator transmission coolant

Abro ATF In that Pathfinder haba Bros nawa that's penny wise pound foolish.

drain totally with filter changed then go an buy total LV MV transmission fluid which is 3500 for 1L buy as needed then test the gear to see any improvement. if none Transmission spoilt you need a new one.

unfortunately when the root cause of your first transmission happened you didn't nip it in the bud. You were supposed to do a radiator by pass, stopping the hose that feeds the transmission direct because that hose actually gives way around 80k miles. The bypass is done because when the hose will give way nobody can tell.

You will change transmission again and this time around do a radiator bypass else the next transmission is bye bye.

But if a qualified technician can check whether this current one can be salvaged but water/coolant getting into the wrong place is a disaster

page 4 of that the below thread lies your solution

https://www.nairaland.com/678348/nissan-infiniti-parts-store-opebi/4
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by CityNGR: 7:21am On Dec 06, 2018
nurey:

drain totally with filter changed then go an buy total LV MV transmission fluid which is 3500 for 1L buy as needed then test the gear to see any improvement. if none Transmission spoilt you need a new one.

unfortunately when the root cause of your first transmission happened you didn't nip it in the bud. You were supposed to do a radiator by pass, stopping the hose that feeds the transmission direct because that hose actually gives way around 80k miles. The bypass is done because when the hose will give way nobody can tell.

You will change transmission again and this time around do a radiator bypass else the next transmission is bye bye.

But if a qualified technician can check whether this current one can be salvaged but water/coolant getting into the wrong place is a disaster

Nurey I need help on my transmission slipping. Happens randomly. It may not happen in a whole day then occur 3 times in 10 minutes
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by nurey(m): 8:23am On Dec 06, 2018
CityNGR:

Nurey I need help on my transmission slipping. Happens randomly. It may not happen in a whole day then occur 3 times in 10 minutes

scan the gear nah. Then with error codes we can know next step
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by JamieSax: 3:28pm On Dec 06, 2018
nurey:

Wow.. wow.. wow... there was no bypass done when the transmission was changed... but I still thinks it's fine...I dont kno....cos I noticed that the movement has been smooth these few days after working on the radiator coolant tho not an external one ...

Pls how can I locate you to check and see if the transmission can be salvaged pls...

Then afterwards I can drain and replace the oil
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by nurey(m): 6:44pm On Dec 06, 2018
JamieSax:

Wow.. wow.. wow... there was no bypass done when the transmission was changed... but I still thinks it's fine...I dont kno....cos I noticed that the movement has been smooth these few days after working on the radiator coolant tho not an external one ...

Pls how can I locate you to check and see if the transmission can be salvaged pls...

Then afterwards I can drain and replace the oil

Fortunately I am not a technician or mechanic so I can't really help out on checking.

What you need to do is scan the gear and see the error codes it generates.

Its cheaper to drain oil now and fill with right fluid than changing gear or asking technician to drop the gear and start fiddling with it.

that Abro is a disaster 1st of all then page 4 shows details of the bypass
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by Alexgray(m): 2:24am On Dec 07, 2018
JamieSax:

Yes I just changed the transmission fluid Recently using Abro ATF

The type of oil you used would have had a negative effect on the transmission which causes it to fail. Since the by pass was not done, that would have compounded the issue.
I might have to refer you to a nissan CVT transmission expert.
His name is yusuf. 08068173330.he would be of help to u. Good luck.
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by Nobody: 2:50pm On Dec 07, 2018
Alexgray:

The type of oil you used would have had a negative effect on the transmission which causes it to fail. Since the by pass was not done, that would have compounded the issue.
I might have to refer you to a nissan CVT transmission expert.
The Pathfinder is not run on a CVT.
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by Alexgray(m): 12:53pm On Dec 08, 2018
Costee:

The Pathfinder is not run on a CVT.
Reading is one thing.
Understanding is another thing.
Reading and understanding at the same time is not as easy as we expect obviously.
At no time did i say 2005 pathfinder run on CVT.
The guy i recommended demonstrated good understanding of CVT when issue came up with murano, so how much more a pathfinder?
You cld just have asked, it wouldnt have cost anything.
Im sure suggestions and recommendations would help this man solve the issue with his pathfinder.
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 08, 2018
Alexgray:

Reading is one thing.
Understanding is another thing.
Reading and understanding at the same time is not as easy as we expect obviously.
At no time did i say 2005 pathfinder run on CVT.
The guy i recommended demonstrated good understanding of CVT when issue came up with murano, so how much more a pathfinder?
You cld just have asked, it wouldnt have cost anything.
Im sure suggestions and recommendations would help this man solve the issue with his pathfinder.
Learn to write what you mean. How are we to infer for you that you meant any CVT expert must be a super expert on a mere Pathfinder.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by feelme3(m): 4:49pm On Dec 08, 2018
Costee:

Learn to write what you mean. How are we to infer for you that you meant any CVT expert must be a super expert on a mere Pathfinder.
grin grin grin
Re: Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should by ofemigeorge(m): 7:11pm On May 25, 2022
debsty:
Hello NL and Car gurus,

Am experiencing this same issue. Please what did you do to solve the problem.

(1) (Reply)

Spark Plugs Issues. / Buying Or Getting ECU (brainbox)? Read This! / No Transparency In Customs’ Clearance Process – Grimaldi MD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.