Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) (9644 Views)

Waziri’s EFCC Initiated $6m No-trial Deal With Suspect, Says Adoke / Amaechi: Why Presidency Wants My Removal As NGF Chairman / Why Mrs Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) Was Removed - Reuben Abati (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by iz2much: 12:59pm On Nov 24, 2011
I heard about my removal on TV –Waziri

The removed Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes, Mrs. Farida Waziri, on Wednesday said she heard the news of her sacking on the television.

In a brief telephone chat with one of our correspondents late on Wednesday, Waziri also said she was yet to be formally communicated. She, however, added that she would determine her next line of action whenever the sack letter reached her.

The brief telephone chat went thus:

Good evening Madam. My feeling is that you were out of the country?

No, I am in the country.

How did you see what happened?

I don’t know; I will talk to you later because I have not gotten any fact. I only heard of it on television and I have nothing to say.

What do you intend to do if you are formally communicated?

When we get there we will decide the next option. I will link you up through the EFCC spokesman, Mr. Femi Babafemi.

Jonathan on Wednesday sacked Waziri and replaced her with a director in the agency, Mr. Ibrahim Lamorde, who is to run the commission in acting capacity.

A statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, said the change took immediate effect. But the statement was silent on the reasons for the change.

The statement reads, "President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the appointment of Mr. Ibrahim Lamorde as the Acting Chairman/Chief Executive of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

"The appointment takes immediate effect, and effectively relieves Mrs. Farida Waziri of her position as EFCC Chairman.

"Mrs. Waziri was appointed EFCC Chairman by the Late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua on May 18, 2008 and confirmed by the Senate on May 27, 2008.

"Mr. Lamorde, an officer of the Nigeria Police, was, until this appointment the Director of Operations of the EFCC. He was also Ag. Chairman of the EFCC before Mrs. Waziri assumed duty at the Commission."

Also, in a text message sent to THE PUNCH on Wednesday, Abati said the removal was to revitalise the fight against corruption.

"The President may in due course announce further reforms and will be looking at other key areas to give more vigorous emphasis to the administration’s transformation agenda," he said.

Why she was removed

Also on Wednesday, reliable sources in government who spoke to our correspondents explained why Waziri was removed.

A source in the Presidency told THE PUNCH that the President acted under the "pressure of the petitions, alleging corruption against top officials of the anti-corruption agency."

The source who only agreed to speak on the condition of anonymity said that the EFCC had suffered "huge reputational injuries" on account of Waziri’s headship of the agency.

The source listed Waziri’ sins to include the alleged shoddy handling of the case of former governor of Delta State, James Ibori, whose acquittal by a court was not contested with an appeal by the EFCC.

The source also blamed the leadership of the agency for the loss of the goodwill it had enjoyed in the international community before Waziri took over.

The source said, "The agency’s loss of credibility has continued to attract doubt about the government’s anti-corruption crusade. Hillary Clinton (US Secretary of State) was unsparing in her assessment of the EFCC under Waziri.

"The London Metropolitan Police also announced a severance of ties with the EFCC over the Ibori case. Other partners like the UK Serious Fraud Office also gave the agency a wide berth.

"It is the loss of credibility that is responsible for the doubts that have trailed the recent arraignment of some former governors."

Another source in government, who also pleaded anonymity while speaking with our correspondent in Abuja, said the President was also worried about the way the plea bargaining agreements with some high profile suspects were handled.

Senators and Reps react

Meanwhile, some members of the National assembly said on Wednesday that Jonathan could not be questioned for removing Waziri. They said the President acted within his powers.

The Chairman of the House Committee on Drugs/Narcotics and Financial Crimes, Mr. Adams Jagaba, while speaking on the development, noted that Jonathan had the power to "hire and fire" a head of the agency.

"The pencil used in nominating Waziri has an eraser. He has used the eraser to erase her name. What is important is that the EFCC as an agency is still there. It is our wish that whoever takes over from Waziri should drive Nigeria to become a corrupt-free society," he said.

He recalled that before the sack, some Nigerians had clamoured for the removal of the EFCC chairman.

"Some people have been calling for her removal. Others have even said that they do not want anybody with a police background to head the agency", the lawmaker added.

The sack came barely one month after the House had initiated a bill to amend the EFCC Act to make either a retired justice of the Supreme Court or the Court of Appeal the chairman of the agency.

It was speculated that the move was to foreclose the chances of re-appointing Waziri at the expiration of her tenure next year.

However, Jagaba claimed that Waziri was not the target.

"The National Assembly has no hand in her removal. The bill we proposed was intended to strengthen the operation of the agency; it was not targeted at anybody. It was the President who sacked her; so he alone can explain why," he said.

The Chairman of Senate Committee on Narcotics, Drugs and Financial Crimes, Senator Victor Lar, said the sack came to him as a surprise.

He said, "It is a tenure appointment and it has not reached the end of her tenure and she has been removed from office. That she has been removed from office means that the President who appointed her has cogent reasons for doing so. Since he has not said that, I can only say I am sure it is for the good of the fight against corruption."

He said the Act establishing the EFCC was clear about the appointment and removal of the Chairman of the commission, noting that he was satisfied with the way the Act was designed.

Chairman of the Senate Committee on Gas, Senator Nkechi Nwaogu, told one of our correspondents that it was the prerogative of the President to appoint or remove whoever was the Chairman of the EFCC.

Nwaogu said, "You and I know that the EFCC has been facing criticisms of inefficiency, and she herself had admitted a number of frustrations and had listed a number of factors working against the agency.

"The President is an executive President, he has the right to hire and fire. We hope that the action would lead to an effective agency that would fight corruption."

Also, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Women Affairs, Senator Helen Esuene, said the removal of Waziri by the President could be in the interest of the country.

According to her, the fight against corruption in the last four years had lost its steam and bite, given that very few achievements were made.

"In the last four years we did not make much progress in terms of the fight against corruption; we did not get to hear about much arrest. I may be wrong, but we need to do more," she said.

Leader of the Senate, Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba, said he would need to take a look at the EFCC Act before commenting on the issue.

"Why is it coming at this time, do you have any idea? Well I will have to look at the EFCC Act before I comment," he said.

What the EFCC Act says

Section 3 of the EFCC Act 2004 says, “(1) The Chairman and members of the Commission other than ex-officio members shall hold office for a period of four years and may be re-appointed for a further term of four years and no more.

(2) A member of the Commission may at any time be removed by the President for inability to discharge the functions of his office (whether arising from infirmity of mind or body or any other cause) or for misconduct or if the President is satisfied that it is not in the interest of the Commission or the interest of the public that the member should continue in office.

(3) A member of the Commission may resign his membership by notice in writing addressed to the President and that member shall, on the date of the receipt of the notice by the President, cease to be member”

http://www.punchng.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=5606:i-heard-about-my-removal-on-tv-%E2%80%93waziri&Itemid=542
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by werepeLeri: 2:48pm On Nov 24, 2011
Is it new? She probably heard about her appointment on TV as well.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by Bawss1(m): 2:49pm On Nov 24, 2011
werepeLeri:

grin grin grin grin
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by OAM4J: 3:17pm On Nov 24, 2011
lol grin

You should have learned from your predecessor Ribadu.

What goes round comes around Madam.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by TRACK: 4:36pm On Nov 24, 2011
Farida took us many steps backward and posterity will not forget evil deeds in a worry.EFCC shud arrest her oo
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by ortopazz(m): 4:43pm On Nov 24, 2011
What was she xpecting?

GEJ.ELO Madam waziri, hw iz ur day,

Waziri: Elo, sir, Ya xcelency, evryting iz fine, ehm ehm, buh sah y d call at thz hourg?

GEJ: wel d land is nt green o!, jus calld to tel u, dat u av bin FiRED,

WAZI.: O.M.G ehn, buh y sah?

GEJ: d tin sef tire me o! Ask ribadu and nairalandaz, dose guys 2 d distub.

Cnversation endz.

Na wetin want b dat.

1 Like

Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by ortopazz(m): 4:47pm On Nov 24, 2011
I tot predicessorz normally give their successorz orientation as to watsup wiv the office, she must have been that yar'adua n nt GEJ, employd her, and GEJ USES HIZ ERASER XPECIALY UNDER PRESSURE, and im d clean paper tear.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by ortopazz(m): 4:48pm On Nov 24, 2011
buh then, she deserved the sack, bottoms up!
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:57pm On Nov 24, 2011
Mmmm
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by Baawaa(m): 5:22pm On Nov 24, 2011
What next?
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 24, 2011
NONSENSE angry tongue
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by babadlaw1(m): 5:54pm On Nov 24, 2011
When u no perform ur duties, na for t.v u go hear am na.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by itiswell1(m): 6:30pm On Nov 24, 2011
werepeLeri:

grin grin grin Dont mind her.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by itiswell1(m): 6:32pm On Nov 24, 2011
Madam, Its like you've not heard this saying before, 'The cain used for the first wife is on the lintel for the new wife'. Why not continue fighting your predecessor now. Rubbish.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by UyiIredia(m): 6:57pm On Nov 24, 2011
Madam Waziri >>> You're not the first to have heard your sacking from outside sources.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by efisher(m): 6:58pm On Nov 24, 2011
Bullshit! I'm 1000000% sure she knew what was coming. Someone even posted on nairaland about a day or 2 before that there are concrete plans to remove her. The so called meeting she was in could have even been a "strategy meeting" to prepare the organization for her sack.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by sexlog(m): 6:59pm On Nov 24, 2011
Se na country be dis? I tire o!
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by HighChief4(m): 7:02pm On Nov 24, 2011
Did she even prosecute anybody all through her reign as Efcc boss?
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by efisher(m): 7:06pm On Nov 24, 2011
She was a monumental failure!
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by babaowo: 7:10pm On Nov 24, 2011
drama just dey happen naa nii , naija nd drama
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by werepeLeri: 7:16pm On Nov 24, 2011
sexlog:

Se na country be dis? I tire o!

hen hen - no be country. Na today dem don dey fire person? Abi na her papa office? Or which kain talk u talk self?
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by maxtum(m): 7:20pm On Nov 24, 2011
LOL! This story almost kill me sha! i was eating corn when i saw the News on Channels TV, i bursted out in laughter to the extent i could feel corn seed's in my boxer! lol! imagine getting sacked via text message or as Madam Waziri, Tv! lol!

So many thing to ask but no medium! Oga GEJ  dey france and he dey sack person for Nigeria, was wondering have all the ministries sent in there Hampers to GEJ?

Heard there are returns yearly! if you are DG of any ministry, this na example for una, the next one might be via text message ! pls don't quote me ooooo!

Long Live GEJ! LOL!
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by nelly4(f): 7:49pm On Nov 24, 2011
grin

grin
I said it then , in my mind ooooo
Bunch of foollsssss
angry
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by 1025: 7:54pm On Nov 24, 2011
She was a monumental failure!

@efisher,
do u speak english bcs others are speaking?
in all ribadu's noise, name one federal criminal(politician) that he jailed.
we saw bode george and cecilia ibru arrested and convicted by this same woman.
it is madness that we support devils in power and we rejoice every shit that comes from them.
we are a group of useless ppl in a useless jungle.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by ortopazz(m): 8:24pm On Nov 24, 2011
^^^ yet it was under her regime that Nigeria scord highest when it came to plea bargain, and u cud imagine the rot, after evrything bankole demanded an apology, even when he was guilty.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by efisher(m): 8:24pm On Nov 24, 2011
@1025, in other words, as far as u are concerned, Waziri was a monumental success and she did better than Ribadu! I will not even attempt to disprove your claim because the difference between them is as distinct as light is from darkness.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by nelly4(f): 9:31pm On Nov 24, 2011
cool
But come to think of it they knew she was goona b a toothless dog and left her their for so long until they needed a reason to uproot her abi
grin
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by Shalomniyi: 9:48pm On Nov 24, 2011
Whatever the 'sins' of Waziri may be, the 'use them and dump them syndrome' in Nigeria should stop. That style is not encouraging, how would you give your best under the prevailing conditions in this country and you just wake up one morning to read about your sack news on the TV or Newspaper ? There should be a more civilized way of doing it. Our country must move forward & progress.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by OmoTier1(m): 9:51pm On Nov 24, 2011
Reading much of the comments in here, it is quite a pity that we as a nation have a long way to go! It is so so sad that so many appear ( from their post) to hold firm the believe that every 'wrong must be right with a wrong'

Before going further with my opinion, let me categorically say this: Waziri deserve to be sacked but my very serious concern is the lazyman approach with which the presidency went about her removal. For heaven and the good spirit of democracy sake, why can't we seek to do things right?

What is so difficult for the Office of President,(Presidency) through the Office of the Secretary to the Federal Government (SFG) writing Waziri an official dismissal letter, sent through the standard channel? Afterall as the EFCC acts (as amended) stands today, the President is empowered to hire and fire the Chairman of that agency - hence no biggy with GEJ's actions- so why did He not do it in the proper way?

For a smart President, it would have simple to invite Waziri to Aso Rock, have a meeting with her and tell her to her face how much you appreciated her service to the nation ( whether or not the service was good or bad, posterity would judge) then hand her the dismissal letter. With that, send your press man out to make the announcement to the whole world.

To relieve someone of His or Her position on tv or in a manner that suggest otherwise especially in agencies like the EFCC means our collective National Security is being erroded. The next we hear of what happens is that the US, UK,France and possibly Germany invites Waziri over for "Lectures" where they would extract more sensitive information so easily. Remember the Ribadu episode?

I hope Reuben Abati would not hear his own sack through Saharareporters?   Nigerian Politrickians are heartless you know
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by OmoTier1(m): 9:54pm On Nov 24, 2011
Shalomniyi:

Whatever the 'sins' of Waziri may be, the 'use them and dump them syndrome' in Nigeria should stop. That style is not encouraging, how would you give your best under the prevailing conditions in this country and you just wake up one morning to read about your sack news on the TV or Newspaper ? There should be a more civilized way of doing it. Our country must move forward & progress.
God bless you for this post! You beat me to it, but I guess we were thinking alike. Many are having a laugh forgeting that democracy has rules -some seemingly obvious while others aren't- and how we choose to obey and play by these rules will define our organized and orderly our society will be.

Yes, Waziri wasn't effective in her duty post, but must the President show the whole world that He is uncut by taking to the television to dismiss her?
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by moshoodn(m): 10:24pm On Nov 24, 2011
Bad way to sack someone who deserved to be sacked. . . . Clueless presido.
Re: I Heard About My Removal On TV – Farida Waziri (EFCC Boss) by expert555: 10:30pm On Nov 24, 2011
This woman in inept the first time I saw her on television I nearly fell off the chair. She look and speaks slow, my 11 year old daughter walk and speaks more smarter. She look like a dead wood I would not even appoint her as a house maid. She is too slow. This is everything that is wrong about Nigeria, from the smart innovative and charismatic Ribadu to a dead-wood. One step forward, ten step backwards. Her time was a waisted time in the fight against corruption. I don't think she took anything to that position and I don't think add value to that position.

(1) (2) (Reply)

China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project / Breaking! Omoyele Sowore Was Disgraced Heavily In Kebbi (pictures) / 2019: IDPs in Niger, Chad to vote, says INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.