Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,272 members, 7,811,802 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:52 PM

The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread (209993 Views)

Comparing Some Honda, Toyota, Nissan And Volkswagen Cars / Is The Audi A6 A Good Car To Buy? / Sienas Help And Advice To Eternal05 On The Audi A6 2001 Model. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (58) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:23pm On Nov 27, 2011
kelecchi:

I drive an audi 90. V6 injector engine. I think its 1994. Problem is when the car is cold, it starts but won't keep running unless u keep firing the accelerator. One mechanic says it is a problem with the airflow meter. But I look up to you @ siena

The airflow meter will cause higher than normal fuel consumption if faulty, and sluggish performance. The engine will also respond better to gradual pressure on the gas pedal, but will hold back if you shove it to the floor sharply.

You don't state if your engine is a 2,6 or 2,8. The 2,6 doesn't have an air-flow meter, the 2,8 does[i].[/i]..

Most possible case scenarios with non-idling when cold:

a) Faulty coolant temperature sensor.
b) Faulty idle control valve.

I would rule out the idle control valve. If faulty, the idle will be poor or non-existent, regardless of temperature.

The CTS (coolant temperature sensor) is the most common item to fail. This is very different to the coolant temperature sender, which powers the coolant temperature gauge on the dash. The coolant temperature sensor is strictly for fuelling, and is connected to the ECU. When cold, it alters the duty cycle for the injectors. So in laymans terms, it makes the fuel mixture richer when cold. As the coolant warms up, the fuel mixture leans out.

If faulty, the ECU sees the engine as hot all the time, and of course fuel enrichment doesn't take place when cold. You'll have to keep your foot on the gas pedal to maintain idle till warm.

Very cheap, and easy to replace, max 5 minutes. It's a white / cream-coloured 2-pin sensor at the back of the engine. I've attached a diagram to give you an idea what you're looking for, it's number "11".

1 Like

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 27, 2011
2dmax:

Dear Sienna
Still diligently awaiting your response. But if for any reasons that i maynot get an answer from you, do send me a mail to maxndianaefo@yahoo.com.
I would understand and still appreciate your person. U are one of a kind, sir.

Email sent.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 27, 2011
foal:

@Siena, still awaiting your response.

My apologies. I can't find your query, unless you posted under a different ID?  undecided
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by 2dmax(m): 8:18am On Nov 28, 2011
Siena:

Email sent.
Gbam! Yes o! Expect reply asap! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks siena, thanks a lot!
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by ralphilo(m): 8:44am On Nov 28, 2011
I appreciate this thread.

This is my car configuration:
1) Make: Audi
2) Model: A4
3) Engine size: 1.8L
4) Trans. type: Manual (5 speed)
5) Model year: 1997
6) Specification: Euro
7) Drive Confi. : Front wheel drive

Issues:
(43) Knocking or some kind of noise from the rear of the car when driving over bumps or rough roads.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 28, 2011
ralphilo:

I appreciate this thread.

This is my car configuration:
1) Make: Audi
2) Model: A4
3) Engine size: 1.8L
4) Trans. type: Manual (5 speed)
5) Model year: 1997
6) Specification: Euro
7) Drive Confi. : Front wheel drive

Issues:
(43) Knocking or some kind of noise from the rear of the car when driving over bumps or rough roads.

Knocking from rear when driving over bumps or rough roads would suggest worn rear suspension components. Most likely:

a) Worn rear wheel bearing.
b) Worn rear damper (shock absorber).
c) Broken rear coil spring.
d) Worn upper and lower damper (shock absorber) bearings.

1) Check the rear wheel bearings. This is easy, and cheap, does not require the services of a mechanic. Jack up each side, and support the car with stands (or blocks). Do not rely solely on the jack! Grasp the wheel, and rock from left to right, top to bottom. If any movement is detected, renew the wheel bearing (either by your mechanic, or yourself, not a difficult procedure).

2) Whilst rear of the car is up, check the dampers (shock absorbers). If oily, or excessively corroded, replace. Always replace as a pair!!

3) Whilst rear of the car is up, check the coil springs. Particularly the top and bottom coils. If broken, or excessively corroded, replace. Always replace as a pair!!

4) Whilst rear of the car is up, check the damper (shock absorber) upper and lower bearings. Grasp the top of the wheel with both hands, and try pulling and pushing the damper towards you and back towards the car. If movement is excessive, renew the upper and lower rubber bearing.

Diagrams are attached for component location:

Diagram 1) Rear wheel bearings (2 & 3).
Diagram 2) Rear damper (shock absorber) (#21).
Diagram 2) Rear coil spring (#1).
Diagram 2) Rear damper (shock absorber) upper and lower rubber bearings (#18 & 19).

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by gogodaye(m): 3:20pm On Nov 28, 2011
Good day, Sir, thanks for your prompt response to my enquiries. Yes, as you had rightly pointed out my Hazard light switch is on top of the steering column and also the cars' windscreen wipers are equally functional and working.
The car has an AC with 'Climatronic' switch board. Although the AC isn't chilling cold. l belief this could be gas related. l'll give the heater blower[ interiro fan] a try as you'd requested and update you.
Whenever, both the trafficators are switch on in either direction as well as when the Hazard switch is thumbed on, a swishing noise emanates from the direction of the fuse box.
l all ready have the four figure codes. My difficulty is on how to input them to get the 'gamma' radio operational from its present 'SAFE' mode. The manual in my possession isn't helpful as its written in german.
Thank you once again for sharing out your knowledge with us and helping us out of our miseries.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by gogodaye(m): 3:22pm On Nov 28, 2011
Good day, Sir, thanks for your prompt response to my enquiries. Yes, as you had rightly pointed out my Hazard light switch is on top of the steering column and also the cars' windscreen wipers are equally functional and working.
The car has an AC with 'Climatronic' switch board. Although the AC isn't chilling cold. l belief this could be gas related. l'll give the heater blower[ interiro fan] a try as you'd requested and update you.
Whenever, both the trafficators are switch on in either direction as well as when the Hazard switch is thumbed on, a swishing  noise emanates from the direction  of the fuse box.
l all ready have the four figure codes. My difficulty is on how to input them to get the 'gamma' radio operational from its present 'SAFE' mode. The manual in my possession isn't helpful as its written in german.
Thank you once again for sharing out your knowledge with us and helping us out of our miseries.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 28, 2011
gogodaye:

Whenever, both the trafficators are switch on in either direction as well as when the Hazard switch is thumbed on, a swishing  noise emanates from the direction  of the fuse box.

Hi!

Does the buzzing from the fuse box / relay panel occur only when the hazard switch is thumbed, or when it's thumbed in conjunction with either direction indicator?

Please give me your Gamma radio model. It's also worth noting, most Audi / Volkswagen models have a separate supplement for the audio units, due to different fitments being offered by supplying dealerships.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by gogodaye(m): 7:35am On Nov 29, 2011
Good day, sir, the swirling noise emanating from the Fuse/Relay box area is only heard when either the hazard switch is thumbed on or alternatively when the trafficators indicators are swicthed on. l cannot tell the model of the gamma radio now off hand, its a conventional radio with a cassette player. it however, does not have a CD player. l'll need to check on the model and get back to you.
Please any headway yet with the english translation/version of the Vento owners/service manual?
Thank you once again.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 29, 2011
gogodaye:

Good day, sir, the swirling noise emanating from the Fuse/Relay box area is only heard when either the hazard switch is thumbed on or alternatively when the trafficators indicators are swicthed on. l cannot tell the model of the gamma radio now off hand, its a conventional radio with a cassette player. it however, does not have a CD player. l'll need to check on the model and get back to you.
Please any headway yet with the english translation/version of the Vento owners/service manual?
Thank you once again.

I'm still working on an Owner's Manual in English.

The buzzing noise sounds like your flasher getting a partial earth feed. If you can get to the fuse box, try locating the flasher relay. It will be easy to locate, bu placing your finger on the relays in turn, to find one that vibrates when the buzzing occurs.

If you can snap a picture of your Gamma unit, it will help, as there were several versions fitted, depending on supplying dealership or export market.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 29, 2011

1 Like

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by corneli83(m): 3:08am On Nov 30, 2011
this is my car configuration
WOLKSWAGEN GOLF 3
1994 MODEL
2.0 INJECTOR ENGINE
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

It jerks on motion and sometimes returns the gear to 3 from 4
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 11:29am On Nov 30, 2011
corneli83:

this is my car configuration
WOLKSWAGEN GOLF 3
1994 MODEL
2.0 INJECTOR ENGINE
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

It jerks on motion and sometimes returns the gear to 3 from 4

Hi! Are you positive your Volkswagen Golf III is a 2,0? To my knowledge, both the 2,0 8 and 16V engines were GTI's, and were only ever available with a 5-speed manual[i].[/i]..

The jerking - is this more of a jerking, as in rough running (engine) or a transmission issue? Do you feel it shifts gears erratically, as in it appears to slip out of higher gears, and drop to a lower one?

The Golf III won't have a dip stick, but the ATF level still needs to be checked. And Volkswagen will tell you it's a sealed unit, and doesn't need a fluid change, but that's untrue. Dirty fluid will cause erractic, rough gear shifts. The same applies to low fluid levels. If you wish to tackle thgis yourself, I'll give you the procedure.

In the meantime, check for leaks from your transmission. Most common areas for leaks are:

a) Driveshaft output flange seal, left.
b) Driveshaft output flange seal, right.
c) Torque converter oil seal (leaks evident from between engine and transmission, underneath).
d) ATF oil cooler (on top of transmission, visible from engine bay).

I have attached diagrams, showing the oil cooler, driveshaft output flange seals. Note, the torque converter oil seal is not accessible with the transmission in place, so I have not included it as a diagram:

Output flange oil seal, left (23).
Output flange oil seal, right (25).
ATF oil cooler (34).

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by iKoksi(m): 12:43pm On Nov 30, 2011
"Please scan the following:
a) Engine.
b) Transmission.
c) Climate control.
Post whatever codes you come up with, and I'll talk you through the processes you'll need to take for rectification."

Hello Siena,
Following you recommendations, have had the car scanned with Auto Scanner Plus CP9180, results as follows:
P0455 - Evap System Large Leak
P0102 - MAF or VAF A Ckt low input
P0706 - Transmission Range Sensor ckt Rng perform

P0300 - Random Misfire cylinder misfire Detected
P0442 - Evap syste small leak
P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

Oil: as per the owner's manual, recommended Engine oil are SAE 0W-30, SAEv5W-30 or SAE 5W-40, the closest i can get here is 0W-40 (Mobile 1), will that be a problem? also please wat's the recommended Transmission Oil? (can't find in manual)

Its a pity i'm yet to find an autoshop that'll solve this puzzle in Abuja. meanwhile please can we arrange to get me a diagnostic scanner. please contact with imenkweini@gmail.com.
Many thanks Sir
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 30, 2011
Hello Siena,
Following you recommendations, have had the car scanned with Auto Scanner Plus CP9180, results as follows:
P0455 - Evap System Large Leak
P0102 - MAF or VAF A Ckt low input
P0706 - Transmission Range Sensor ckt Rng perform

P0300 - Random Misfire cylinder misfire Detected
P0442 - Evap syste small leak
P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

Oil: as per the owner's manual, recommended Engine oil are SAE 0W-30, SAEv5W-30 or SAE 5W-40, the closest i can get here is 0W-40 (Mobile 1), will that be a problem? also please wat's the recommended Transmission Oil? (can't find in manual)
[quote][/quote]

Faulty MAF (Mass Air Flow) meters does affect transmission shifts. The reason being, the transmission range switch (F125) are on the same circuit. The F125 switch constantly calculates the gear the transmission is in, compared to what the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) sees. If they don't match, the transmission goes into limp mode.

The MAF is easier to replace. The F125 switch difficult, and time consuming. My recommendation?

1) Replace the MAF, clear codes and test. If transmission issues persist:
2) Replace the F125 switch. It's a lengthy process, I'll post a diagram showing orientation, should you decide to attempt it yourself. You're more likely to do a better job than your mechanic, I can assure you. Clear codes, and test transmission for drivability.

For P0455. You need to check every vacuum hose.

1) If any are split, renew. Again, I'm attaching a diagram, showing the EVAP system for the 3,0 V6 engine.
2) Check fuel filler cap seal. If it looks worn, or you have any doubts, renew. They're cheap to buy.

Clear codes, and retest.

P0442 is linked to P0455.

P0305 / 0300:

1) Check spark plug in cylinder #5, particularly pay attention to the electrode and porcelain end. If the porcelain is cracked, or the electrode tip is burnt / damaged, renew the plugs as a set.

2) Replace the coil pack on cylinder #5. Genuine Audi only.

Diagrams are attached below:

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 30, 2011
Diagram 1) Transmission range switch (F125) #3. Fitted to transmission casing, driver's side, above the catalytic converter. Plug must be oil-free.
Diagram 2) Evaporative Control System (EVAP) # 5,7 and 8. All pipes and joints must be air tight.
Diagram 3) Coil pack (COP) #1.
Diagram 4) Mass Air-Flow Meter (MAF) #6. Replacement must be genuine Audi or BOSCH.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 30, 2011
iKoksi:

I have tried 0W-40, and the hydraulic tappets were noisy, especially when engine was cold. 5W-30 or 5W-40 are the minimum I would recommend for the 3,0 ASN engine.

As for the transmission, there are two separate fluids. The differential uses regular SAE 75/90 synthetic gear oil. The tiptronic box section requires ZF Life Guard 5 fluid.
On no account should you use the more common ATF Dexron fluid, that will destroy your transmission beyond economical repair.

iKoksi:

meanwhile please can we arrange to get me a diagnostic scanner. please contact with imenkweini@gmail.com.

I'll email you details of a VAG diagnostic tool, as per your request.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by 8ightball: 8:40pm On Nov 30, 2011
Hey Guys,
I have been really enjoying my Audi A6, but I got into a rough spot yesterday and it seems I ripped something. Most probably the exhaust, as the sound of my engine is now very loud as against its gentle purr. when ever I idle the engine, it sounds normal but as soon as I put my foot on the accelerator, it starts to sound like a bulldozer. I need some advice, do I take the car to a panel beater to help me weld the broken exhaust? or do I take it to an Audi mechanic? Although I font know of any around me here in Lagos. I need help fast.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 30, 2011
8ightball:

Hey Guys,
I have been really enjoying my Audi A6, but I got into a rough spot yesterday and it seems I ripped something. Most probably the exhaust, as the sound of my engine is now very loud as against its gentle purr. when ever I idle the engine, it sounds normal but as soon as I put my foot on the accelerator, it starts to sound like a bulldozer. I need some advice, do I take the car to a panel beater to help me weld the broken exhaust? or do I take it to an Audi mechanic? Although I font know of any around me here in Lagos. I need help fast.

The first step is to identify what part of the exhaust is split / leaking.

And it's also worth noting, MIG / Arc welding involves having an earth clamp on any exposed metal part of your car, and can damage your ECU, or any other semi-conductor device in your car. TCU, ABS Control Unit, Airbag Control Unit, Instrument Cluster.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by 8ightball: 9:18pm On Nov 30, 2011
Baba siena,
What do you suggest I do? Do I just take it to any panel beater or must it be one skilled with Audi's?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 9:28pm On Nov 30, 2011
8ightball:

Baba siena,
What do you suggest I do? Do I just take it to any panel beater or must it be one skilled with Audi's?

A panel beater does bodywork, even in Nigeria.

An exhaust does not come under bodywork. An exhaust is part of the emission control, so mechanical. Take your car to any decent garage, determine where the damage is first. Heck, if it's that loud, you yourself can find the damage. Leave the engine idling, go underneath the car, and get a friend to gently blip the gas pedal. Then take things from there.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by 8ightball: 9:32pm On Nov 30, 2011
Baba Siena,
Thanks for your response.I think I would do just that to locate the leak. To audi users in Lagos, Where can I get a very good Audi Mechanic Oh!!!! I need one very fast. I stay in magodi, Ikosi Axis so I would like one around there
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by 8ightball: 9:37pm On Nov 30, 2011
Baba siena,
Pls my Audi didnt come with an owners manual. Do you know where I can download the owners manual of Audi A6 2001, quattro model?
thanks
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 10:02pm On Nov 30, 2011
8ightball:

Baba siena,
Pls my Audi didnt come with an owners manual. Do you know where I can download the owners manual of Audi A6 2001, quattro model?
thanks

I don't think there are downloads, unlike some Japmobiles. I do have one though, from a 2001 Audi A6 quattro, which I broke up for spares, if you're interested.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by 8ightball: 4:48am On Dec 01, 2011
Baba Siena,
Of course I am interested in the Audi 2001 owners manual. How do I get it?
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 6:48am On Dec 01, 2011
8ightball:

Baba Siena,
Of course I am interested in the Audi 2001 owners manual. How do I get it?

You can Paypal me. Shoot me an email.

siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by sweeteasy(m): 8:47am On Dec 01, 2011
@siena, this is one of the most informative threads i've come across on NL; keep up the good job. I intend to purchase a 2008 Volkswagen passat, am i making a good choice as per engine reliability? and what other 'Audi' options do i have in the same class? What engine type would you recommend with fuel economy in mind?
Regards
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by ralphilo(m): 12:05pm On Dec 01, 2011
@Siena ,I found your response to my issue with my Audi A4 rather help ful and want you to know that the issue has been resloved. But there is on e issue i did not mention to you but is becoming a source of embarassment to me when driving.

Issue;
There is an irritating noise from the fan belt area . This noise comes and goes but most especially when i make a full turn of the steering wheel to either side.

expecting your opinion .
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by zakaliyu: 3:55pm On Dec 01, 2011
Make; Volkswagen
Model, passat
Engine size, 2.8L, V6, 30V
Year, 2002-2003
Transmission, 5-speed triptronic
Specification, US
Drive configuration, 4 motion, AWD

Issues;
(12)&(04)
My problem started when my timing belt got worn out(some of the teeth got removed). It happened as I was about entering my gate and I heard the engine noise got slower, I opened the hood to check maybe the fan belt is off but it was intact. Then I drove inside and turn off the engine, I tried starting but it refuse even though the crank is turning. I called a mechanic who confirm it is the timing belt. We replace the belt and start the car, but the engine begin to vibrate. The mechanic said some valves are bent. The mechanic opened the top cylinders and replace the bent valves, but intact from then the car became from bad to worst. From then the car became undrivable, I had to tow the car to Zuba(a town close to the federal capital Abuja). The mechanics at zuba made me change the passenger's side top cylinder, the oil pump,gaskets, and fan. The car started properly, but on a test drive after 40km the engine stop and won't start again. We discovered the timing belt has cut off, and the mechanic replaced the valves, grind them, and put another timing belt. The car became drivable but the engine is vibrating just like the first time we replace the belt. I drove the car for a week before the engine stopped on motion again. Please what do I do? Should I replace the engine? Or can you refer me to a mechanic in Abuja? Cos I live close to Abuja. And How much will the engine cost? (an idea please) I am desperate.
Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 01, 2011
ralphilo:

@Siena ,I found your response to my issue with my Audi A4 rather help ful and want you to know that the issue has been resloved. But there is on e issue i did not mention to you but is becoming a source of embarassment to me when driving.
Issue;
There is an irritating noise from the fan belt  area . This noise comes and goes but most especially when i make a full turn of the steering wheel to either side.
expecting your opinion .

Power steering issues. Squealing / groaning from belt area. Most likely causes:

a) Power steering pump drive belt loose.
b) Power steering pump drive belt worn.
c) Power steering fluid level low.

The power steering vane pump is under constant pressure whilst the engine is running. This pressure increases when the wheels are in any other than the straight ahead position. So when the wheel is turned either way, the drive belt is under extreme stress. If the belt is loose, it will slip on the pump pulley when the wheel is turned, giving the characteristic "squealing." Taking up the belt tension by adjustment will stop this, but much depends on how long it's running slack.

The Audi A4 1,8 20V engine has a separate belt to drive the power steering vane pump, with manual adjustment. If in doubt of the belt's integrity, replace it. They're relatively cheap to buy, fitting is about 10 minutes.

Check the power steering fluid level, and top up if low. Do not use ATF, as in BMW and most Japanese vehicle's power steering systems, it will destroy the seals in the pump and rack, resulting in massive leaks. Replacing the steering rack in the B5 A4 with the engine in situ is a beast of a job, you don't want to kill it! Your car uses Mineral Hydraulic Oil in the power steering system. It's green in colour.

Power steering fluid for the Audi A4 B5:

Genuine Audi: G002000.
Pentosin: CHF 11S.
Febi-Bilstein: 06162.

Or any other mineral oil that meets CHF 11S spec.

The power steering pump and belt are shown below, for reference. Vane pump (#1) Vane pump drive belt (#2) Vane pump pulley (#4).

1 Like

Re: The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread by zakaliyu: 4:18pm On Dec 01, 2011
@Siena you are a great person, am sure God will reward You. Please tell me what to do, I love my car sooo much. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (58) (Reply)

What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / Help.my Honda Crv Drive "d" Indicator Light Blinks (Now solved) / BMW Owners' Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.