Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,788 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:35 PM

Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? (8509 Views)

Angola Overtakes Nigeria As Africa's Top Oil Producer After Pipeline Attacks / G20 Summit :south Africa Takes Back It place as Africa Largest Economy / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 24, 2011
Is it that they lose memory of their roots or what is it exactly. It has even reached †ђξ extent where some westerners think Africa is a country.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by freepeople: 9:43pm On Nov 24, 2011
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 24, 2011
@op
the same reason why some Nigerians say they are going to EUROPE rather than the specific country. are they lying?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 12:19am On Nov 25, 2011
^^
I doubt it is so because most if not all Nigerians on that level know Europe is not a country besides I've hardly met a nigerian refering to a particular country in Europe as Europe. A German in Nigeria will not call Germany Europe. I have never seen it. So what exactly is it. Bandwagon effect?
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Beaf: 3:04am On Nov 25, 2011
It is as a result of cowardice, foolishness, shame for where they come from because of the pressures of a racist World and a total disconnect from their roots.
I always look down on such types as untrustworthy and will never ever be involved in any sort of serious business with them.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 8:14am On Nov 25, 2011
As I suspected Beaf, its a real shame. Even friends that travelled this year are already referring to Nigeria as Africa. About 10yrs ago, a close friend got †ђξ visa lottery which I call modern day slavery, 2 days after she arrived people started telling me they could barely understand her. Ɣøû have got to be kidding me.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 8:43am On Nov 25, 2011
My guy @Poster I am a nigerian in the diaspora and will not in any guise call or refer my beloved country Nigeria as Africa.I of course understand what u are talking about because I meet a lot of Nigerians in the diaspora physically and on Nairaland who pretend to be more Europeans,Americans and Australians than the original owners of these countries.They have been cowed into submission and made to believe their origin is cursed! But Alas! there are some of us who love that country Nigeria with passion and no amount of intimidation will make us say such.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 25, 2011
I have never encountered anything like this. 

Why would Nigerians refer to Nigeria as africa? or do you mean "the giant of Africa"?

The worst case scenario is pretending to have never been to Nigeria or know anything about Nigeria even when the accent is so morrafccukkinly obvious.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by ektbear: 9:23am On Nov 25, 2011
I don't even understand this question.

Refer to Nigeria as Africa? Like, mix up the two?

Or refer to themselves as Africans (rather than specifically Nigerians)?
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 25, 2011
^
It's a very common occurrence. They say it in interviews and even nigerian films shot abroad.
Ileke-IdI:

I have never encountered anything like this. 

Why would Nigerians refer to Nigeria as africa? or do you mean "the giant of Africa"?

The worst case scenario is pretending to have never been to Nigeria or know anything about Nigeria even when the accent is so morrafccukkinly obvious.

Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 9:26am On Nov 25, 2011
blink182:

^
It's a very common occurrence. They say it in interviews and even nigerian films shot abroad.

Can you plz answer the question I posted. I'm kinda confused. . . . do you mean Nigerians seeing Nigeria as "Giant of Africa"
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't even understand this question.

Refer to Nigeria as Africa? Like, mix up the two?

Or refer to themselves as Africans (rather than specifically Nigerians)?
Its no mistake. I believe its done as a result of a complex and they denying their roots.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by ektbear: 9:35am On Nov 25, 2011
Which one are they doing? Mixing up nigeria and africa, or calling themselves africans?

Like, be more specific about what the issue is.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 25, 2011
blink182:

Its no mistake. I believe its done as a result of a complex and they denying their roots.
We all know we are no giant so that option is out. When they do it, if Ɣøû do not know what Africa is, you'll think its a country. Statements like 'i hope †ђξ people back home in Africa are fine', 'I sent some clothes to Africa', 'mama sent this pepper soup spice from Africa'. I hope Ɣøû understand now.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 9:40am On Nov 25, 2011
blink182:

[size=18pt]We all know we are no giant so that option is out[/size]. When they do it, if Ɣøû do not know what Africa is, you'll think its a country. Statements like 'i hope †ђξ people back home in Africa are fine', 'I sent some clothes to Africa', 'mama sent this pepper soup spice from Africa'. I hope Ɣøû understand now.

So? That shouldnt stop ppl them from claiming Nigeria as the giant of Africa. Old habits are hard to break, stereotypes are hard to shake off.

So if this is the case, I see no problem with saying "I'm from the giant of Africa".
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by ektbear: 9:40am On Nov 25, 2011
First two are questionable, third is fine.

E.g., "African day" at Nigerian churches like RCCG (one sunday a month where people wear traditional.)

It depends on the context.

It isn't like Africa is a sexier brand than Nigeria. So not much gained by embracing the former and denying the latter.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 25, 2011
But Nigeria is in Africa, no?

It is true that Nigerians outside Nigeria develop more of a Pan African orientation over time. But is this to be considered a bad thing?

What exactly is your point @OP?
That Nigerians lose their geographical bearings once they leave her shores?

Or is it simply that you'd rather have Nigerians thumping their chests in defence of parochialism of some sort?
undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by AjanleKoko: 10:36am On Nov 25, 2011
It's not really the fault of anybody. Americans especially are fond of lumping all Africans together.
It's not uncommon to hear an American ask if you're from Africa. Must be because they think 'Africa' is where all African-Americans are from. You don't get that in Europe. Most Europeans can distinguish between African countries.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by lovejo(m): 10:43am On Nov 25, 2011
When i'm in Nigeria I always criticised the system so they can know they need to improve, but immediately i'm outside 9ja i'm 100% loyal and patriotic and this even led to enmity between me and one Ghanian man telling me Ghana is better than 9JA .

9JA TILL DEATH.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 25, 2011
AjanleKoko:

It's not really the fault of anybody. Americans especially are fond of lumping all Africans together.
It's not uncommon to hear an American ask if you're from Africa. Must be because they think 'Africa' is where all African-Americans are from. You don't get that in Europe. Most Europeans can distinguish between African countries.
Ʈƕǎƞƙ Ɣøû, Ɣøû totally understand what I'm trying to say. If Americans are daft enough not to know Africa is a humongous continent, then Nigerians in their own little contribution towards eroding †ђξ ignorance should correct †ђξ white man instead of falling into line with his shallow perception.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by skfa1: 10:50am On Nov 25, 2011
Some think London is the whole UK.You hear them saying im going to London,whereas the person is going to Scotland lol  grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 25, 2011
blink182:

Ʈƕǎƞƙ Ɣøû, Ɣøû totally understand what I'm trying to say. If Americans are daft enough not to know Africa is a humongous continent, then Nigerians in their own little contribution towards eroding †ђξ ignorance should correct †ђξ white man instead of falling into line with his shallow perception.

Right, that dreadful American disease grin

I have met Americans who think all the black folk in Europe were sired by GIs who fought the 2nd world war.
Oh, have I met some dumbo Americans during my time.

But even so, I still think your sensitivities here may be misplaced.

What is fundamentally wrong with being mistaken for an African?
Help me understand. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by 195(f): 11:03am On Nov 25, 2011
I THINK IM GUILTY OF IT

U know when u say Nigeria

they look @ u one kin

so u say africa so they really dont know which
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 25, 2011
190_@:

I THINK IM GUILTY OF IT

U know when u say Nigeria

they look @ u one kin

so u say africa so they really dont know which

This happens in Birmingham too?
I mean, dem get the same American disease for that side?
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by AjanleKoko: 11:10am On Nov 25, 2011
blink182:

You can't really blame people. People tend to adapt to the environment, coupled with the fact that there is no strong affinity between Nigeria and its people.
I don't think it's something to fuss about. I live in Nigeria, but I'd much rather be referred to as a Yoruba man, an Africa. Any allegiances to Nigeria is under duress, and not my choice.
In fact I see myself as a citizen of South-Western Nigeria. I was born here, grew up here, went to school here, and earn my living here, in the South West.
I think of my fellow citizens as fellow Africans. I don't necessarily think less of a Ghanaian than I would an Ibo man. They're all my African brethren, period.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 25, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Right, that dreadful American disease grin

I have meant Americans who think all the black folk in Europe were sired by GIs who fought the 2nd world war.
Oh, have I met some dumbo Americans during my time.

But even so, I still think your sensitivities here may be misplaced.

What is fundamentally wrong with being mistaken for an African?
Help me understand. grin

There's nothing wrong with being mistaken for an African what I don't like is Africa being referred to as if its a country. Its belittling. As if there is an embassy that issues visa to a country called Africa.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by logica(m): 11:18am On Nov 25, 2011
Only people who've mixed with African Americans and are TRYING to an extreme to act like them will do that.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by MrTA(m): 11:35am On Nov 25, 2011
I live in England and I have never once heard any Nigerian , ever, refer to Nigeria as Africa.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 25, 2011
blink182:

There's nothing wrong with being mistaken for an African what I don't like is Africa being referred to as if its a country. Its belittling. As if there is an embassy that issues visa to a country called Africa.

Your point is understood.

In relation to your original question, I take the view that some Nigerians simply stop identifying with the country.
This disconnect, when it happens, is seldom articulated in words and, as a result, can therefore only be measured through observation.

The infidelity which you find a source of concern has many roots, but I will start by itemising a few.

(1) Some have never accepted the sanctity of Nigeria.
Note: In this group you would find secessionists with different agendas

(2) Some see no good in brand 'Nigeria'
Note: There is nothing peculiar about this lot; you find them in every country
I have met many from minority ethnic groups, who refuse to be 'tarnished' by the same brush whenever a Nigerian achieves infamy outside her shores.

(3) Some are Pan-Africanists who submerge Nigeria for political reasons
Note: This group draw heavily on the teachings of Nkrumah, Azikiwe and so on.

(4) Some have lost all the cultural affinity they once had for Nigeria.
Note: This group also comprises of some who were born abroad (South Africa, Japan, Russia, and the US) and thus never had any in the first place, as well as Nigerians who secured political asylum as Nationals of worn-torn countries like Sudan, Sierra Leone and Liberia.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by solomon111(m): 11:50am On Nov 25, 2011
It is one thing for the westerners to do that,and it wont bother me at all,afterall to them africa as a whole is one s.hit hole,and any country within it is irrelevant.But for Nigerians to exhibit that attitude is inferiority of the highest magnitude,utter disrespect for your nation,and low self esteem.It is highly pitiable.SMH
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by publisher(m): 11:52am On Nov 25, 2011
[size=15pt]@OP: i think you are VERY wrong,it's mostly African Americans that refer to Africa as though it were a country. However,Nigerian Americans i.e Nigerians who were born and bred in America could also be guilty of this.
However,dont forget that in casual conversations,Nigerians are known to sometimes avoid going into specifics unless asked. E.g.my broda dey for overseas,overseas here could mean,UK,America or Benin republic smiley[/size]
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 12:16pm On Nov 25, 2011
solomon111:

It is one thing for the westerners to do that,and it wont bother me at all,afterall to them africa as a whole is one s.hit hole,and any country within it is irrelevant.But for Nigerians to exhibit that attitude is inferiority of the highest magnitude,utter disrespect for your nation,and low self esteem.It is highly pitiable.SMH
i laf in the westafrican tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Uncovers Overpayment Of N430bn To Fuel Marketers / Nnamani Urges Electorates To Vote For Ugwuanyi,others / Osinbajo Inaugurates Electricity Board As FG Moves To Resolve Tariff Shortfalls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.