Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? (8515 Views)

Angola Overtakes Nigeria As Africa's Top Oil Producer After Pipeline Attacks / G20 Summit :south Africa Takes Back It place as Africa Largest Economy / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by omo9ja1(m): 12:16pm On Nov 25, 2011
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.

I will always be proud of my country Nigeria
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Ganiyu11: 1:00pm On Nov 25, 2011
The continent they come from is Africa, so I don't think there is nothing bad in saying they are from Africa because if you mention some countries in Africa even the popular ones to some foreigner, they wouldn't understand unless you describe.Thus, they probably did not want to start description unless it is demanded. Just my two cents.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by expert555: 1:13pm On Nov 25, 2011
This reason is because the continent is a big embarrassment noting good ever comes out of it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by creamofluv: 2:00pm On Nov 25, 2011
Don;t even get me going with this, the stupid media propagate the whole country and have their ignorant people think Africa is a country. If they travelling to a country in africa, what would they say? oh am traveling to africa, if they going to spain, they will never say am traveling to europe, so why they do always class africa as a country pisses me off.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Skywalker5(m): 2:38pm On Nov 25, 2011
Don't believe this at all. Most Nigerians born abroad know where they are from and they know the different between calling Africa a country. its mostly Nigerians who want to make other feel they were not born in Nigeria act this way. I have seen it number of times. They pretend they don't know but they do.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by oge4real(f): 3:07pm On Nov 25, 2011
I am so guilty of this. Will make amends from today.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by SamMilla1(m): 3:15pm On Nov 25, 2011
i have said 'africa' instead of 'nigeria' many times. it all depends on the context and whom u are addressing. i remember a 17yr old german girl interviewing me about where i come from in berlin in 2004. it took me about three minutes to tell her that there is a country called nigeria. i eventualy settled to africa to make things easier. i recall telling a middle aged man that i came from nigeria in lisbon 2005 and he had no clue where nigeria is. they know more about places like the north africans
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by MrCork17: 4:10pm On Nov 25, 2011
becoz London is far more superior to Africa!! (no oofeince) angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by ezeagu(m): 4:31pm On Nov 25, 2011
People are to ashamed to say where their from, people are too ashamed to say what language they speak, people are even too ashamed to say their own native names.

"I'm going back to Africa. . "
"I'm from Africa. . . "

I once heard Oluchi the model say "when I was in Africa", this is from someone who won a modelling competition in Nigeria. Nigeria isn't anything to be proud of anyway.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by ezeagu(m): 4:31pm On Nov 25, 2011
Mr, Cork:

becoz London is far more superior to Africa!! (no oofeince)  angry

Are you speaking London?
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by MrCork17: 4:35pm On Nov 25, 2011
Yep!! You cant even compare Lagos to Peckham (no ofeince) angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2011
Mr, Cork:

Yep!! You cant even compare Lagos to Peckham (no ofeince) angry

Is "Yep!!" and "no ofience" the only thing u learnt
in London?
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by MrCork17: 4:52pm On Nov 25, 2011
kenis:

Is "Yep!!" and "no ofience" the only thing u learnt
in London?

kenis.  sadly you never been outter Nigeria.  do u want me to send u a picture of London bridge? wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2011
Mr, Cork:

ode dudu u av got some serious issues, u need to first of all work on self esteem, its obvious dt its battered, lost goat.
ezeagu:

People are to ashamed to say where their from, people are too ashamed to say what language they speak, people are even too ashamed to say their own native names.

"I'm going back to Africa. . "
"I'm from Africa. . . "

I once heard Oluchi the model say "when I was in Africa", this is from someone who won a modelling competition in Nigeria. Nigeria isn't anything to be proud of anyway.
av heard keke & D1 refer to Nigeria as Africa countless times, God help us.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Skywalker5(m): 5:04pm On Nov 25, 2011
Mr, Cork:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Mr cork, Mr cork .see wetin you cause now? you don allow my manager catch me on nairaland
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by MrCork17: 5:19pm On Nov 25, 2011
Julieccentric:

ode dudu u av got some serious issues, u need to first of all work on self esteem, its obvious dt its battered, lost goat.av heard keke &

Julieccentric.  If you ever get the chance to come to London, I will take you to a place wher you can take pictures with Pigieons & parrots Standing on your head. We call it: Trafalgua Square.    wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by r231(m): 5:22pm On Nov 25, 2011
undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by charlsecy4(m): 5:26pm On Nov 25, 2011
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Nigerian calling himself African, or calling Nigeria Africa, provided he's currently in a non-African environment, for example, Europe.
I am a Nigerian of Igbo extraction, precisely, Anambra state. If you saw me in Kano (a Nigerian Hausa state) and asked me where I was from, I would say, "I am from the South-east," or "I am Igbo". However, if you asked me the same question when I was in Imo (a Nigerian Igbo state), I would say, "I am from Anambra".

I tell you most solemnly, assuming those Nigerians living abroad came to say, Egypt, and you asked them where they were from, they would say, "Nigeria". I hope you got my gist.
Family > Kindred > Village > Town > State > Country > Continent. What you answer depends on your current location and the knowledge of the asker.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 25, 2011
Mr, Cork:

kenis.  sadly you never been outter Nigeria.  do u want me to send u a picture of London bridge? wink

Is London bridge where U stay.
Sadly you never been outter bridge. Do u want me to send u flight ticket? wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by MrCork17: 5:30pm On Nov 25, 2011
kenis:

Is London bridge where U stay.
Sadly you never been outter bridge. Do u want me to send u flight ticket? wink

You bush Monkey. London Bridge is a Residential area in London. I bet you think *Elephant & Caslte* is a Zoo. undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Beaf: 5:45pm On Nov 25, 2011
Whenever I meet anyone that does that crazy "Africa" thing, I silently make mental notes, if they are white, I'll take my time to educate them if they aren't racist scum; for black people, the rope is shorter and for fellow Nigerian's, I show contempt.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Beaf: 5:51pm On Nov 25, 2011
Its like id!ots that leave Nigeria as Seun to become Shawn abroad, or Ngozika becomes Godwin. God punish them! angry
If you ask them the reason, they will tell you its because whites can't pronounce their names. Can we pronounce white peoples names? And do the whites in Nigeria change their names because Nigerians can't pronounce them? Its sickening.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 25, 2011
Beaf:

Its like id!ots that leave Nigeria as Seun to become Shawn abroad, or Ngozika becomes Godwin. God punish them! angry
If you ask them the reason, they will tell you its because whites can't pronounce their names. Can we pronounce white peoples names? And do the whites in Nigeria change their names because Nigerians can't pronounce them? Its sickening.

You find that sickening, huh?
It will be interesting to know what you think of stay-at-home Nigerians who bear names that could fill an English man with pride. grin
<Hint> Our first citizen grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by MrCork17: 6:10pm On Nov 25, 2011
Beaf:

Beaf. when waz the last time you had 3 full course meal? dont lie. By the way, water is not included undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by SEFAGO(m): 6:10pm On Nov 25, 2011
eGuerrilla:

You find that sickening, huh?
It will be interesting to know what you think of stay-at-home Nigerians who bear names that could fill an English man with pride. grin
<Hint> Our first citizen grin

LOL at irony. All those fishermen do like taking oyibo names.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by manosteel(m): 6:11pm On Nov 25, 2011
We should not shy away from the truth. The name Nigeria rings bell and it means different thing to different people in Europe and Asia. Most times when you tell someone that you are from Nigeria, you may end up regretting why you did so because he will remind you how unsafe Nigeria is, the fraudstars, the corruption, kidnapping, killing etc. Probably, the only good thing they will remember about Nigeria is football, they will ask you do you know Amokachi, Kanu, Okocha, Finidi etc and that is the only time you will have reason to smile and possibly claim that one of them happened to be your uncle.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by kabukabu50(m): 6:17pm On Nov 25, 2011
The number one answer that Nigerians tell foreigners when asked "where they are from"? is Jamaica, believe me I have seen it with my own eyes many times, just hilarious. grin

On the other hand,quite a lot of Americans have no clue about anywhere outside their own state shocked, so it makes no sense to go into a 10 min elaboration on where Nigeria is and so on, so just tell them Africa and be on your way. cool

Europeans in the US that I meet know Nigeria very well, even most Latin americans,Brazilians,Argentinains, because of the Legendary Super Eagles, who they will even name for you, Amokachi,Amunike, Okocha.

Shame our Eagles are now a shadow of their former selves.

For Black Americans, I rub it in their face because they should know that 1 out of every 4 black people on Earth is NIGERIAN.And moreover more Nigerian young men and women are making their name in sports in the US like the NFL,College football and College Basketball.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by MrCork17: 6:24pm On Nov 25, 2011
^^^what in the name of Mr C0rk is this guy talking about? undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by ezeagu(m): 6:26pm On Nov 25, 2011
kabukabu50:

For Black Americans, I rub it in their face because they should know that 1 out of every 4 black people on Earth is NIGERIAN.

That would mean there are over 250 million Nigerians on earth.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by MrCork17: 6:26pm On Nov 25, 2011
omo9ja1:

I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.

I will always be proud of my country Nigeria

proud of what?  do you people have elctricity or water? even the Mosquito in NIgeria  look more healthier (no oofeince)  undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 25, 2011
ezeagu:

That would mean there are over 250 million Nigerians on earth.
who knows undecided im even thinking that Nigerians on earth is upto 200millions.

@topic, i dont see anything wrong with that infact i introduce myself first as "west africa" before Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians In Diaspora Refer To Nigeria As Africa? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 25, 2011
Don't mind them.  It is inferiority complex.  I harrass them a lot when I hear them refer to Naija as Africa.  I ask them if oyibo people to that why should we join them? Any way I tell all those who care to listen when I introduce myself as a Nigerian from Nigeria the capital of Africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Uncovers Overpayment Of N430bn To Fuel Marketers / African Union Presents Letter of Endorsement to IgbereTV Awards (Photos) / INEC Re-Affirms Victor Oye As APGA National Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.