Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,129 members, 7,845,747 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari (10089 Views)

Planning A Protest? Save Your Fuel Because I Won’t Quit, Says Kachikwu / Buhari: 'I Will Never Quit Politics As Far As I Live' / Obj To Quit Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari by Nobody: 1:13am On Nov 30, 2011
[size=18pt]8th May 1984 - The NY Times
Buhari announces plans for hefty cuts in government spending and reduction of imports[/size]

LAGOS, May 7— Nigeria's military head of state, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Buhari, announced a tough austerity budget today for 1984 featuring hefty cuts in Government spending, higher interest rates and cuts in credit growth.

General Buhari said in a nationwide broadcast that Government spending this year would be cut by 15 percent from a budget presented by the ousted civilian Government only two days before its overthrow on New Year's Eve.

He said the Government would continue to try to cut imports, while giving priority to raw materials and spare parts for industry and agriculture, to reduce the country's balance of payments deficit.

General Buhari also said the Government would make every effort to keep oil production, which accounts for more than 90 percent of foreign exchange, up to the 1.3-million-barrels- a-day quota set by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.96.html
Re: I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari by Nobody: 1:24am On Nov 30, 2011
[size=18pt]6th July 1984   -  ITN News  (Video Clip)
UK: Exiled ex-minister wanted in Nigeria for  embezzlement, discovered by British Police in crate bound for Nigeria (Video Clip)[/size]

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1984/07/06/AS060784001/?s=nigeria+&st=2&pn=95&sortBy=date

Scenes from Stansted Airport where exiled former Nigerian minister, Umaru Dikko, was yesterday  (5.7.84) found drugged in a crate.
17 people have been arrested - three of whom were in crates at Stansted with Mr Dikko.

Nigerian govt deny involvement with the kidnapping, but the crate in which Mr Dikko was found was sent from the Nigerian High Commission and addressed to the Ministry of External Affairs in Lagos, where Mr Dikko is wanted for embezzlement.
A British Caledonian plane is being detained at Lagos in a diplomatic move by the Nigerian govt.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyTMMoh7xUQ?version=3[/flash]

Re: I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari by Beaf: 6:17am On Nov 30, 2011
PointB:

^^^^
This man, quit spamming us with this nonsense that nobody is reading.

Buhari will NEVER, EVER, rule Nigeria.

In fact, Nigerians will vote for a[b] moderate Ghanaian[/b] before they consider Buhari.

I'm beginning to think GenBuhari has some sort of problem. embarassed
Re: I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari by Demdem(m): 7:46am On Nov 30, 2011
grin grin grin grin

GenBuhari don Kolo.

grin grin
Re: I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 30, 2011
5th February 1985 -  Toledo Blade, Ohio. Newspaper
[size=22pt] Buhari rejects IMF terms for loan , and says Nigeria will match British oil prices[/size]

The Nigerian leader, Gen. Muhammad Buhari, says his country will match Britain;s oil prices even if it means undermining the pricing structure of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, the Financial Times reported yesterday.
The London business daily reported that General Buhari, in an interview in Lagos, also reaffirmed Nigeria's rejection of the International Monetary Fund's terms for a $2.4 billion loan.
General Buhari was quoted as saying the benefits if membership in the cartel outweighed the disadvantages, but that the 13-nation organization had to be realistic and allow flexibility for member countries in financial dificulties, such as Nigeria.

If Britain's North Sea oil prices dropped, Nigeria, which gets 95% of its foreign earnings from oil, would follow suit, he was quoted as saying, adding: "We will have to do that to survive."
General Buhari rejected monetary fund demands that Nigeria devalue its currency, the naira, by 50 to 60 per cent and that the west African country reduce domestic fuel subsidies, the Financial Times said.
The military leader, who came to power in a Dec. 31, 1983, coup, reportedly said higher prices for food and other items would result from devaluation.

28th February 1985  - Herald Journal newspaper
[size=22pt]Nigerian court acquits American woman of illegally exporting oil from Nigeria[/size]
Lagos, Nigeria (AP) - A military court  on Wednesay acqutted American businesswoman Marie McBroom of illegally exporting oil from Nigeria. Had she been convicted she could have been executed by a firing squad.
Mrs McBroom, who pleaded innocent to all six counts of the charge, had been in jail for a year and was freed shortly after the acquittal. She went to the U.S> Embassy and called her daughter in New York City.
Dana McBroom Manno said her mother "sounds great. She sounds in very good spirits," and planned to leave Nigeria very soon, perhaps today.

The 59-year-old businessswoman from Jersey City,N.J/, was the first foreigner acquitted of offenses related to Nigeria's petroleum industry by military tribunals established after a coup ousted the civilian government Dec. 31. 1983. A Spanish sea captain has been sentenced to death, and his government is appealing for mercy.

Re: I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 30, 2011
Buhari announces plans for hefty cuts in government spending and reduction of imports[/size]

LAGOS, May 7— Nigeria's military head of state, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Buhari, announced a tough austerity budget today for 1984 featuring hefty cuts in Government spending, higher interest rates and cuts in credit growth.

General Buhari said in a nationwide broadcast that Government spending this year would be cut by 15 percent from a budget presented by the ousted civilian Government only two days before its overthrow on New Year's Eve.

He said the Government would continue to try to cut imports, while giving priority to raw materials and spare parts for industry and agriculture, to reduce the country's balance of payments deficit.

General Buhari also said the Government would make every effort to keep oil production, which accounts for more than 90 percent of foreign exchange, up to the 1.3-million-barrels- a-day quota set by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I am finding it very fascinating - I do not think I could stop now even if I tried grin

[size=18pt]17th May 1984 - ITN News
QUEUES FORM OUTSIDE BANKS AS CURRENCY CHANGEOVER TAKES EFFECT.[/size]

Queues stretched outside the banks of Lagos on May 4 as people waited to hand in their invalid bank notes. Nigeria's military rulers ordered the currency changeover as part of an anti-corruption campaign.

The old notes had to be deposited in banks before May 6. After that date, new bank notes would be issued. But Nigerian banking sources have since conceded that an acute shortage of the new currency existed. On May 15, it was reported that there were still queues outside banks, with some people so short of cash they were going hungry. Before the currency changeover, petrol stations and food prices dropped. few people were able to obtain cash with which to purchase goods.

The military government of General Muhammad Buhari took power when the civilian administration of President Shehi Shagari was overthrown on December 31, 1983. Since then, Buhari has instituted a number of reforms, announcing on May 7 an austerity budget for 1984 which government spending by 15 per cent and reduced imports.

A tough new press law was published in April, giving the government the power to close radio stations and newspapers.

Buhari also turned his attention to cleaning up the streets of Lagos, creating a task force to remove all abandoned cars from the city. Offending vehicles were towed away and crushed. Major Oladimeji was given charge of this mission

Re: I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 30, 2011

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I am finding it very fascinating - I do not think I could stop now even if I tried grin

[size=18pt]17th May 1984 - ITN News
QUEUES FORM OUTSIDE BANKS AS CURRENCY CHANGEOVER TAKES EFFECT.[/size]

Queues stretched outside the banks of Lagos on May 4 as people waited to hand in their invalid bank notes. Nigeria's military rulers ordered the currency changeover as part of an anti-corruption campaign.

The old notes had to be deposited in banks before May 6. After that date, new bank notes would be issued. But Nigerian banking sources have since conceded that an acute shortage of the new currency existed. On May 15, it was reported that there were still queues outside banks, with some people so short of cash they were going hungry. Before the currency changeover, petrol stations and food prices dropped. few people were able to obtain cash with which to purchase goods.

The military government of General Muhammad Buhari took power when the civilian administration of President Shehi Shagari was overthrown on December 31, 1983. Since then, Buhari has instituted a number of reforms, announcing on May 7 an austerity budget for 1984 which government spending by 15 per cent and reduced imports.

A tough new press law was published in April, giving the government the power to close radio stations and newspapers.

Buhari also turned his attention to cleaning up the streets of Lagos, creating a task force to remove all abandoned cars from the city. Offending vehicles were towed away and crushed. Major Oladimeji was given charge of this mission

Re: I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari by kl2020: 5:37pm On Dec 01, 2011
can somebody on nairaland simply beg GEJ to give nigerians only electricity? and he should forget about every other thing
Re: I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 01, 2011
[size=18pt]25th June 1985 - ITN News
Buhari's anti-corruption tribunal convicts British /Arab business woman, Mahmet Chambi of economic sabotage[/size]

The Lagos Zone of the exchange control-anti sabotage tribunal today, ordered a British/Arab business woman Mrs Mahmet Bahia Bin Chambi and five other companies to refund a total of 2,558,744,902 26k to the Federal Military Government.

In addition Mrs Chambi is to be imprisoned for twelve years for the first count and ten years each for three other charges, the sentences are to run concurrently. Thus she is expected to spend twelve years in jail.

Delivering judgement in a case of an alleged illegal transfer of over 98 million naira Mr Justice Oladipo Williams ordered Mrs Chambi to pay N98,124,903.01k and that she should be deported at the expiration of her prison sentence.

The other companies include Green Engineering Limited as second accused and Uniparts and hardware Nigeria Limited as the third accused.

The other three accused are Nimpex, Sexterin and Unicon Enterprises, Nigeria Limited, respectively who are to refund 492,123,999.85k each.

Mr Justice Oladipo Williams after reviewing the case noted that from all intent and purpose the accused persons had intentionally planned from the beginning to sabotage the Nations economy which he said is punishable under the exchange control anti sabotage decree of 1984.

The other five accused persons who were represented by their Nigerian Directors' were however discharged but not acquitted.

The sentence are subject to the ratification of the Supreme Military Council.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ajaokuta Steel - The Road To Industrialization / March 8th Initiative "Friends Of Prof" Yemi Osinbajo Announces 2022 Programme / Ojukwu's Son Alleges Blackmail By Family Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.