Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,590 members, 7,827,219 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo (11441 Views)

Bianca Ojukwu To Become APGA Leader / Awolowo Asked Ojukwu To Be Open And Forthright . But Ojukwu Was Trying To Do Wuru Wuru Backroom Deals / Ojukwu To Be Buried In American Gold Casket –bianca (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by TRUTHTELA: 5:07am On Nov 29, 2011
I Told Odumegwu- Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War, Says Obasanjo

FORMER President Olusegun Obasanjo yesterday disclosed that he discussed the possibility of an expression of remorse from the late Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu “on the Nigerian civil war which in itself was a culmination of actions and reactions.”

Obasanjo said this while paying tributes to the late Ikemba Nnewi. He said: “It is with deep sadness that I received the news of the demise of my friend and colleague. He and I were subalterns in the Army at Nigeria’s independence in 1960.

“In a way, his death marks the end of an era in Nigeria.”

In an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) from London, Obasanjo said that he condoled “with his family and pray for the repose of his soul.”

Also paying tributes yesterday were Governors Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State and Gabriel Suswam of Benue State, Lagos State House of Assembly Speaker Adeyemi Ikuforiji and President of the Civil Rights Congress based in the North, Shehu Sani.

Others included Senator Andy Uba; the Prelate, Methodist Church, His Eminence Ola Makinde; former Managing Director of News Agency of Nigeria and Special Adviser to erstwhile President Obasanjo on Political Affairs, Chief Akin Osuntokun; the Chairman of Nzuko Ora Nnewi, Chief Charles Agu-Onyeka; Eastern Vanguard; and Igbo Leadership Forum.

Sani said that an Igbo president should be encouraged as a way of immortalising the late Biafran leader.

Oshiomhole said that with the death of Chukwuemeka-Ojukwu, Nigeria had lost a major personality and “an advocate for distributive equity” in the governance of the nation.

In a condolence letter to the Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi, Oshiomhole said: “Given your personal and political proximity to the Ikemba, I can appreciate how much pain his demise has caused you and several others, who found inspiration in his aversion to the opportunistic politics of the ‘Mainstream.’

“By his death, Nigeria has lost a major personality, who played a unique role in its modern history. We have also lost a well-acknowledged advocate for distributive equity in the governance of our federation.”

The Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Dahiru Musdapher, said Odumegwu-Ojukwu was a man who loved his country and had immense pride in the tradition, culture and heritage of his people.

Musdapher, who expressed these sentiments in two separate letters to the bereaved family and the people/government of Anambra State, said the death of Odumegwu-Ojukwu was a monumental loss.

He noted that Odumegwu-Ojukwu was “courageous in the Army, consistent in politics and in the long and protracted battle for his life, it must be said that he was as forbearing as he was brave.”

The Lagos State chapter of the Action Congress described the death of Odumegwu-Ojukwu as an irreparable loss, not only to the Igbo but the Nigerian nation that was fast running out of real leaders that would guide the march to national greatness.

In a statement in Lagos by the Lagos State Publicity Secretary of the ACN, Joe Igbokwe, the party said that the death of Odumegwu-Ojukwu should serve as a reminder to the nation that it still needed to settle yearning questions of true federalism so as to address the many agitations in the minds of Nigerians since independence.

“When it eventually arrives in Nigeria in the next couple of days, the body of the former Biafran leader will be taken to all states and communities in the South-East and South-South zones of the country that supported Biafra.

“This is in line with the wishes of Odumegwu-Ojukwu. A seven-day mourning from December 1 has been declared throughout Igboland in honour of the former Biafran leader.”

Anambra State Governor, Mr. Peter Obi, who disclosed this to The Guardian in an interview shortly on arrival to Nigeria from London yesterday, said moving the body round the communities that supported the Biafran cause would satisfy the aspiration of the late Ikemba.

However, Chief Sam Ubachukwu, Leader of the Eastern Vanguard, described the former Biafran warlord as a phenomenon whose sustenance and legacy would live for generations to come.

He said Odumegwu-Ojukwu, perhaps the most fluid orator in Nigerian history, would certainly be missed.

“Nigerians would certainly miss his unsmiling visage, carriage, charisma and doggedness.”

He regretted the absence of a monument, especially in the South-East to reflect the contributions he made in socio-political development in Nigeria.

Ubachukwu, a pharmacist, said by his death, a vacuum has been created in Igbo leadership and urged all Igbos to close rank and remain united so that Odumegwu-Ojukwu’s struggles and death would not be in vain.

The leader of Igbo Leadership Forum, Dr. Eustace Ejike, also described Odumegwu-Ojukwu as a courageous leader who provided leadership at a time the Igbo nation was in dire need for it.

“No one, not even his ardent critics, will overlook his monumental contributions to Nigerian nationhood, his love for the downtrodden and the passion for the development of his people,” it said.

To the senator representing Odumegwu-Ojukwu zone in the Senate, Dr. Uba, Ojukwu’s death is a big blow to the Igbos and indeed to the nation. He described Odumegwu-Ojukwu as a great man whose indelible mark and contributions to the zone and the country at large would never be forgotten in a hurry.

He recalled the contributions of the late Biafran warlord in the fight against oppression and injustice and stated that he deserves the entire encomium being showered on him.

“Our heart goes to his family, especially Bianca and children at this period of grief of her departed husband, uncle and brother. Our condolences go to the entire Igbo sons and daughters all over the world.”

http://ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69131:i-told-odumegwu-ojukwu-to-apologise-over-civil-war-says-obasanjo-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by dustydee: 6:16am On Nov 29, 2011
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 29, 2011
OBJ always talking poo as usual.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:13am On Nov 29, 2011
How ?
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by 9ijaprince(m): 7:36am On Nov 29, 2011
Obj should first apologise to Nigerians for not laying good democratic foundation in Nigeria. Nonsense!
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:40am On Nov 29, 2011
Murderer and War criminal asking a peace loving and humanitarian to apologise; for wat exactly? Wonders shall never end in that country. Errant nuisance!!
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:44am On Nov 29, 2011
angry angry
The Niger Delta village u destroyed, the yoruba's elite u killed and the millions of life's u murdered in the heartland of the southeast will forever be on the heads of u and your generations born and unborn. Dirty old man dat sleeps with his sons wife, incestuous pig, something is already rotten whilst still alive. HMMMMM! angry
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Areosapien(f): 7:45am On Nov 29, 2011
Obasanjo the hypocritical kleptomaniac should first apologize for the Odi massacre if he really wants to be taken seriously.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 29, 2011
OBJ shuld come to Awka and apologise for
1. Supporting Chris Uba to use the Nigerian Police Force under his command to kidnap a sitting governor. The first ever civilian coup in the whole world.

2. His endorsement of destruction Anambra State's properties by his tugs led by Chris Uba.

3. Forcing Andy Uba to be our governor even though he is for Ogun State and not from Anambra.

As for the atrocities he (OBJ), IBB, Murtala, Buhari, Gowon and all the other members of their gang misguided soldiers committed in Igbo land in the name of war, we have forgiving them.

OBJ should please keep his mouth shut. Enough of his insults.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by hugooh42(m): 9:34am On Nov 29, 2011
Are you guys surprised at OBJ'S utterances?Ojukwu had described OBJ on many occasion as one who talks and act as if he single handedly prosecuted and won the war and should be given credit for that.
Am not a bit surprised.I remember the one way flight ticket given to Ojukwu from OBJ and his SSS from Enugu to Abuja.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Okijajuju1(m): 9:46am On Nov 29, 2011
Obasanjo is right! YES!

Ojukwu should have apologised to the Nation for that war which achieved nothing and to Ndi Igbo and the entire south-south for taking them to war and desserting them when shit hit the fan. And also for setting Ndi Igbo backwards.

He was a brave coward and died a cowards death.

1 Like

Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by namfav(m): 9:56am On Nov 29, 2011
calm down, obj is not lying for once

Bliss4Lyfe:

angry angry
The Niger Delta village u destroyed, the yoruba's elite u killed and the millions of life's u murdered in the heartland of the southeast will forever be on the heads of u and your generations born and unborn. Dirty old man dat sleeps with his sons wife, incestuous pig, something is already rotten whilst still alive. angry 
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by kasiem(m): 10:08am On Nov 29, 2011
Okija_juju:

Obasanjo is right! YES!

Ojukwu should have apologised to the Nation for that war which achieved nothing and to Ndi Igbo and the entire south-south for taking them to war and desserting them when poo hit the fan. And also for setting Ndi Igbo backwards.

okay, jesus should also aapologise to christians for running to egypt, thereby, causing the massacre of children from 2years downwards. Elijah should also apologise for running away from jezebel, culminating in the massacre of prophets.

1 Like

Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by TenKobo1: 10:08am On Nov 29, 2011
Just when you think this old pig has outgrown his foolishness, he surprises even himself.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Okijajuju1(m): 10:18am On Nov 29, 2011
kasiem:

okay, jesus should also aapologise to christians for running to egypt, thereby, causing the massacre of children from 2years downwards. Elijah should also apologise for running away from jezebel, culminating in the massacre of prophets.

What are you going on about now?!
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 29, 2011
Obj, as soon as you apologise to your son Gbenga publicly for raping his wife, we may then give u a listening ear. Ewu.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by executinal(m): 10:30am On Nov 29, 2011
Okija_juju:

Obasanjo is right! YES!

Ojukwu should have apologised to the Nation for that war which achieved nothing and to Ndi Igbo and the entire south-south for taking them to war and desserting them when poo hit the fan. And also for setting Ndi Igbo backwards.

@ the bolded i don't understand what you mean by setting Ndigbo backwards, can you enlighten me more?? because i am confuse with your conclusion.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Shalomdee(f): 10:40am On Nov 29, 2011
Why should Ojukwu have apologised? He declared seccession and not civil war, rather Gowon should apologise for how he made the Ibos suffer.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by PointB: 10:41am On Nov 29, 2011
^^^
That guy Okija_juju is alh harem, pay no heed to his ranting.

@topic,
Obj should be discounted. He is senile old man. When a man grow old and senile, he becomes a child.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by 1025: 10:47am On Nov 29, 2011
this madman must learn to start from his house by apologising to his son for destroying his marriage in his randy life. again, the ppl of odi and benue state where he deleted two communities demand apologies.
why will ojukwu apologise for trying to rescue his ppl from slavery? very soon, with the way things are going on, another ojokwu move will spring up and this time around, there be no stopping us until devils like obasanjo and his evil groups are deleted.
the ojukwu i know even as a dead body will never ever apologise to this chimpanzee called obasanjo.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by Baawaa(m): 10:47am On Nov 29, 2011
Truth is always bitter
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by 9jaIhail(m): 10:49am On Nov 29, 2011
MY ADVICE TO OBJ IS. HE SHOULD TRY NOW THAT HE IS ALIVE TO PLAY SOME ROLES THAT WILL ENABLE HIS PEOPLE TO EVEN ATTEND HIS BURIAL.I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT OTHER TRIBES BUT I AM TALKING ABOUT HIS OWN TRIBE BECAUSE HE IS ENEMY OF MANY ESPECIALLY HIS PEOPLE,OBJ IS A MAN WHO IS BAD INSIDE BUT GOOD OUT SIDE, OBJ YOU ARE VERY MUCH AWARE THAT YOUR PEOPLE CAN NEVER CHERISH U LIKE IGBO'S ARE DOING FOR CHIEF ODIMEKWU OJUKWU,ABIOLA DIED WESTERNERS STOOD THERE FOR ABIOLA AND BURIED HIM WITH RESPECT.OBJ JUST FOR ONCE GIVE A THINK TO UR SELF JUST ASK UR SELF HOW WILL UR PEOPLE REACT ANY DAY WHEN THEY WILL HEAR THAT U ARE DEAD?

OLD MAN WITHOUT BRAIN,SELFISH AND GREEDY MAN
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by kasiem(m): 10:52am On Nov 29, 2011
okija, i'm just trying to give the name of people, wwho ran away from their mission at mone point or the, which led to the death of their followers. u can get more from the bible
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by namfav(m): 10:55am On Nov 29, 2011
you have to read some of the quotes by ojukwu, like every northerner in the east will be killed, that is not a man who wanted peace

Shalomdee:

Why should Ojukwu have apologised? He declared seccession and not civil war, rather Gowon should apologise for how he made the Ibos suffer.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by okpurukata(f): 11:12am On Nov 29, 2011
Okija_juju:

Obasanjo is right! YES!

Why should anyone respond to this foolish aboki. You are already doomed. Foolish Alhaji. If you have nothing better to say,keep your trap shut.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by badesco(m): 11:29am On Nov 29, 2011
Everybody is entitle to his or her opinion on issues. Obj is right to some extent, because the war achieved nothing at the end of the day.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 11:31am On Nov 29, 2011
namfav:

you have to read some of the quotes by ojukwu, like every northerner in the east will be killed, that is not a man who wanted peace

Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by aikay77: 11:34am On Nov 29, 2011
Obasanjo is a very BIG goat! Idiotic Anu mpam!

Ojukwu went to war for a good cause. His people were being slaughtered like chicken in the North. They were shut of of Government. No jobs, no rights. Death sentence passed on all. Just like Hitler treated the Jews during the Second World War.

And OBJ is there opening his big idiotic mouth. It's a pity our sensibilities was assaulted by the like of him ruling us. In sane countries he should be standing trial for his war crimes against the Odi people of Bayelsa State where Timaya hails from.

Oloriburuku like him.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by badesco(m): 11:46am On Nov 29, 2011
aikay77:

Obasanjo is a very BIG goat! Idiotic Anu mpam!

Ojukwu went to war for a good cause. His people were being slaughtered like chicken in the North. They were shut of of Government. No jobs, no rights. Death sentence passed on all. Just like Hitler treated the Jews during the Second World War.

And OBJ is there opening his big idiotic mouth. It's a pity our sensibilities was assaulted by the like of him ruling us. In sane countries he should be standing trial for his war crimes against the Odi people of Bayelsa State where Timaya hails from.

Oloriburuku like him.

You have allowed sentiment to over ruled your judgment in this context. remember that, at the end of the so call or senseless war declared by Ojukwu, the Ibos are still worse off and that's what lead to marginalization of the Ibos till today. it is an avoidable war, so don't hold any brief for Ojukwu.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by musiwa43: 11:51am On Nov 29, 2011

Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by member479760: 11:53am On Nov 29, 2011
Thank God, we saw the end of 20th century plague (Ojukwu) and the people are free at last. he is roasting in hell fire now.
Re: I Told Ojukwu To Apologise Over Civil War - Obasanjo by gbogboti: 12:19pm On Nov 29, 2011
Pls @all, what lead to the mad/mass slaughtering of the Igbos in the North that resulted into the CIVIL WAR? Were the Yorubas spared? Now the reasons for the senseless killing and bombings are Islamization and the revenge of Boko Haram leader. So why did the Northerners went all out to start killing and maiming of Igbos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Untold Story Of Former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s Leadership Success! / Ikpeazu Moves To Demolish Illegal Structures In Aba / Tunde Ajibulu: Yahaya Bello Lacks Knowledge Of Kogi Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.