Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra (12719 Views)

President Jonathan At Oronto Douglas' Burial In Yenagoa,Bayelsa Today(photos) / Governor T.A Orji Booed, Pelted At Bishop Ezeonyia's Burial In Aba! / Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by UcheSolomon(m): 10:11pm On Nov 29, 2011
Ojukwu deserves more than that,this is a man who out of deep love for his people risked his own life.may his soul rest in peace,
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by hackney(m): 2:22am On Nov 30, 2011
Still cant believe Ikemba has left the building.
here's a man who before the war, his dad was easily the richest man in Naija.
He still stood up for what he believed in like he had nothing to lose.

History will judge u fairly.

Adieu.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by ezeagu(m): 2:41am On Nov 30, 2011
Why are 'unrelated' people giving an opinion like any gives a fuck?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Ndipe(m): 2:46am On Nov 30, 2011
Vanity upon all vanities! I dont know how true it is, but I read the state government were footing his medical bills in London. So, if the family were not capable of paying for his medical bill while he was alive, where will the money come from to fly his corpse all around the countries that supported his failed mission in breaking away from Nigeria?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by ezeagu(m): 2:48am On Nov 30, 2011
Ọ wụ ego gi? Is it your money? Or is it California states cash, or is it mula?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by uche100(m): 4:59am On Nov 30, 2011
Rest in PEACE Ikemba Nnewi. Nigeria don lose another hero.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by SamMilla1(m): 6:59am On Nov 30, 2011
"Even in death, you still fight for your people. You still want the world to know where you stand. Your wish must be carried out even if it means digging up your corpse myself and flying it to those nations. One day i will tell my children and grand children about Ikemba, the greatest Nigerian that ever lived. The hero who fought against the world's three super powers Britain, US and Russia and held them off for three years. Although i have only seen you once but that was all i needed. Adieu Ikemba"
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Pukkah: 7:00am On Nov 30, 2011
In as much as the Ikemba made that wish, the people that are supposed to carry it out should deeply reflect about its immediate and future implications both for the Ndigbo and Nigeria.

While he was alive, Ojukwu contested for the position of the President of Nigeria and lost. If he had won and become the President of Nigeria, would it have been right to take his dead body to countries that supported the break-up of Nigeria or countries that recognized Biafra? The fact that he contested is a prima facie evidence that he had buried the Biafran dream. Did he even talk about actualizing it again after his pardon by the Federal Government?

Also, would it be right to start taking the bodies of dead Nigerian presidents to countries that supported Nigeria during the civil war? Would it not look somehow if Gowon wrote in his will to be taken to any of those countries upon his death?

Now, the reality is that Ojukwu is dead without ruling Nigeria and the nation which he presided over for 30 months is defunct. What do the supporters of this wish/will expect the leaders of those countries to say in their requiem? Does this not amount to putting the heads of those countries in a difficult position? Would it be politically correct for them to allow the remains of Ojukwu into their countries for official ceremonies? What if they say no?

At home, how do we expect the Jonathan-led Federal Government to feel as it watches the body of a pardoned civil war leader traverse the countries that supported the failed secession bid in a trip that will be funded with tax payers money?

Without doubt, Ojukwu was a courageous man who was passionate about what he believed in. He was controversial enough while alive and people should rein in their emotions in order not to bury him amidst another needless controversy. Taking his body to those countries will simply fan the embers of secession & separation and refresh the memories of bitterness, tribalism and sectionalism. It is an ill wind that will further cast the Ikemba as a 'warlord'. Yet the same people are asking the FG to name public places after him and also recognize him. Is this consistent?

Let the man be buried in peace in Nigeria as a Nigerian. Simple.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by jascon1(m): 7:11am On Nov 30, 2011
if this is his wish, then he deZerves it. However, while alive he should have publicly toured these countries himself to see how his corpse would be received.
what does it signify for a corpse to visit someone?
will he be imortalized in these countries?
did Ojukwu have a charity foundation?
or did he invest his entire money to politiics?
how many acclaimed biafran state (in REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA) will he tour?
is he imortalized anywhere in the east?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by 9javoice: 8:16am On Nov 30, 2011
@namfav & violent - mind your business and shut up!

To all those suggesting that this and that country be added to the list should remember that the request of a dead man should always be respected!
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by luluosas(m): 8:25am On Nov 30, 2011
Waste of money.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by King20: 11:32am On Nov 30, 2011
Rest in Peace, my Hero. You stood for your people and History will ever remember you. Adieu.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by okijajuju2: 11:39am On Nov 30, 2011
Ikemba is the most loved and celebrated African in recent history. No one even comes close!
He deserves all these and more.

Ikemba, ogwugwu akpu Okija na ekene gi o! cool
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by ideylaff: 1:01pm On Nov 30, 2011
Its going to be egg on your face if they carry his body to these places and the people don't turn up or end up saying "who"?  sad shocked

Better they use their think heads and decide to bury him in Nigeria with all honours possible and then they can go and tour these places afterwards but sure not with the dead body

Can these people really read, maybe what Ojukwu said was I'd like to be immortalized in Frank Ocean places,

I'd like is not the same as I WANT, so they had better think now before they carry The Great Mans body into an empty hall in these so called countries

Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 30, 2011
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu!
What a Man!
He fought for his people in Life, and even continues to fight in death!

For those of you making noise about his wish, maybe you should take a little time to understand what he has set out to do instead of empty criticisim!

For the Easterner's we must understand exactly what Ojukwu has asked for rather than struggling to defend it.
He is not asking us for a show of pump and wealth.
He is not asking us to show that his dead body will live forever.

Ojukwu is asking us to use his dead body to re-establish strong diplomatic relationship with these countries. Not as Nigerians, but As Igbos and potentially as Biafrans.

Something we would have found very ackward to do without his dead body. Ojukwu is making his deadbody a key to diplomatic circles for us against the future, and in such a way that the Nigerian Govt. can neither kick nor condemn. If you notice, he never bothered about who will fund it, cause we have enough individuals who can fund it without govt.

He is mindful that the greatest failings of the Biafran Govt. in the civil war was in diplomatic influence (often due to his own straight forwardness), hence he reminds us in his death so we do not repeat such a mistake in future.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Pukkah: 2:01pm On Nov 30, 2011
ideylaff:

Its going to be egg on your face[b] if they carry his body to these places and the people don't turn up or end up saying "who"?[/b]  sad shocked

Better they use their think heads and decide to bury him in Nigeria with all honours possible and then they can go and tour these places afterwards but sure not with the dead body

This is the point I was trying to make.  Those in support of the plan to take his body to those foreign countries need to pause, reflect and think through the immediate and far-reaching implications of such an action.  Would it be politically correct for those countries to be part of the activity?  What's in it for them?

Let's even assume that the countries play along, which is an indication of their sympathy for the Biafran project, would the organizers come back and still be asking the Nigerian government for support and recognition?  Would any Nigerian government official accompany them? What role would the FG play? Who would spearhead and lead the delegation and the process? Who would fund it? In what capacity would Ojukwu's body be taken to those countries - that of the Biafran leader?

Doesn't this action even smack of covert or 'hidden' treason for stoking the fire of the defunct Biafra? undecided Or lack of belief in the Nigerian entity? I tell you, it's not a gamble to take by anyone that really and truly loves the Ikemba.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Pukkah: 2:08pm On Nov 30, 2011
KenGali:

Ojukwu is asking us to use his dead body to re-establish strong diplomatic relationship with these countries. Not as Nigerians, but As Igbos and potential Birfrans.

Something we would have found very ackward to do without his dead body. Ojukwu is making his deadbody a key to diplomatic circles for us against the future, and in such a way that the Nigerian Govt. can neither kick nor condemn. If you notice, he never bothered about who will fund it, cause we have enough individuals who can fund it without govt.

I am not unaware of the agitations among the ethnic nationalities in Nigeria but I want to ask you: is Biafra officially recognized anywhere locally or internationally? Can you get anything done with world leaders on this platform? What really is the meaning of 'potential Biafrans'?

Why do you think members of MASSOB are being harangued and arrested every now and then?

No doubt, especially from the emotional posts on this thread, Biafra exists in the hearts and minds of a lot of people but you see, this does not in any way address the issues I have raised.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Nobody: 2:16pm On Nov 30, 2011
Pukkah:

I am not unaware of the agitations among the ethnic nationalities in Nigeria but I want to ask you: is Biafra officially recognized anywhere locally or internationally? Can you get anything done with world leaders on this platform? What really is the meaning of 'potential Biafrans'?

Why do you think members of MASSOB are being harangued and arrested every now and then?

No doubt, especially from the emotional posts on this thread, Biafra exists in the hearts and minds of a lot of people but you see, this does not in any way address the issues I have raised.

The Issues you have raised is for Nigeria, Ojukwu is for Biafrans (Potentially). Hence your issues are totally irrelevant from the point of view of Igbo who are forced to belong to a Country where his kinsmen are killed in annual pogroms since the 1960s.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Pukkah: 2:52pm On Nov 30, 2011
KenGali:

If you are not aware of agitations among ethnic Nationalities in Nigeria, then you must be living on the moon. Come down to earth.

You may want to re-read what I wrote:

Pukkah:

I am not unaware [/b]of the agitations among the ethnic nationalities in Nigeria but I want to ask you: is Biafra [b]officially recognized anywhere locally or internationally?

KenGali:

The Issues you have raised is for Nigeria, Ojukwu is for Biafrans (Potentially). Hence your issues are totally irrelevant from the point of view of Igbo who are forced to belong to a Country where his kinsmen are killed in annual pogroms since the 1960s. If you are not aware of agitations among ethnic Nationalities in Nigeria, then you must be living on the moon. Come down to earth.

Nigeria might have declared war on Easterners for succeeding, but cannot do so over the travels of a dead corps. that is the logic!

Does this mean that you won't have anything to do with the Federal Government when you bring back the body (after the tour of the countries)?

Would the tour be private or public?  If private, which private person would establish contact with the heads of those countries?  If public, who would fund the tour and would the public officials share your view of 'potential Biafrans'? What would be the relationship between the public officials and the FG?

Do you think the leaders of those countries would cooperate with those making the request (especially if they are 'potential Biafrans') to grant access to the body? What do you expect the leaders of those countries to say in their requiem?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by PointB: 3:03pm On Nov 30, 2011
@Pukka et al
This is a very simple matter really. If the countries he desired his body to tour accepts to receive him so be it.

As for how the Nigeria government will receive it, that is for Nigeria foreign diplomats to worry about and twist to their own advantage . Frankly the Igbo nation is not worried about how Nigeria will receive it. What sacrifice has Nigeria ever made to Igbos, that should make them worry about how the country will receive their dead hero's wish. What is important for now is to honour the dead man wish, and not how Nigeria government will interprete it.

By the way, who is Nigeria government? GEJ, Ayim, Sambo, Tambuwal, David Mark, etc? Are they going to legislate against a dead man's wish?

The main concern here should be whether those countries accepts to receive his body, the rest is immaterial. After the tour if the Nigeria government refuses honour Ojukwu or participate in his burial what difference does it make? Who cares? Igbos will simply honour him as Biafran President, Nigeria will be the loser in this case for failing to douse the Biafra spirit in anyway.

The smartest thing Nigeria should do is to facilitate and take part in the tour, after which they try to bring a closure to the Biafra issue by giving Ojukwu a honourable burial as a Nigerian hero. Any attempt to frustrate his final wish will play into the hands of extreme groups.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Pukkah: 3:08pm On Nov 30, 2011
PointB:

@Pukka et al

The main concern here should be whether those countries accepts to receive his body, the rest is immaterial. After the tour if the Nigeria government refuses honour Ojukwu or participate in his burial what difference does it make? Who cares? Igbos will simply honour him as Biafran President, Nigeria will be the loser in this case for failing to douse the Biafra spirit in anyway.

The smartest thing Nigeria should do is to facilitate and take part in the tour, after which they try to bring a closure to the Biafra issue by giving Ojukwu a honourable burial as a Nigerian hero. Any attempt to frustrate his final wish will play into the hands of extreme groups.

Very well then. Let's keep our fingers crossed. smiley
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by jascon1(m): 5:14pm On Nov 30, 2011
many igbos never liked ojukwu even after what he did many biafran war veterans i met one on one despise him for abandonement during the last phase of the war.
so, lets no pretend we ever loved him. cos i didnt see this love while he lived. when mandela returned from prison, every soul unitedly gave him the chance to be president. the igbos did not unitedly support ojukwu when he bidded for the presidenty.
i am yet to find a place named after ojukwu in the east(correct me if am wrong). nothing monumental to stand as a symbol representing odumegwu's personality. even in enugu where he lived, nothing to show that a great man for the igbos lived there. he lived there like a loner. i have been to his enugu residence twice and even the street isnt named after him.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Pukkah: 5:26pm On Nov 30, 2011
KenGali:

Ojukwu is asking[b] us[/b] to use his dead body to re-establish strong diplomatic relationship with these countries. Not as Nigerians, but As Igbos [/b]and potentially [b]as Biafrans.

PointB:

What sacrifice has Nigeria ever made to Igbos, that should make them worry about how the country will receive their dead hero's wish. What is important for now is to honour the dead man wish, and not how Nigeria government will interprete it.

By the way, who is Nigeria government? GEJ, Ayim, Sambo, Tambuwal, David Mark, etc? Are they going to legislate against a dead man's wish?

May be you guys want to address the issues in Jascon1's post below:

jascon1:

many igbos never liked ojukwu even after what he did many biafran war veterans i met one on one despise him for abandonement during the last phase of the war.
so, lets no pretend we ever loved him. cos i didnt see this love while he lived. when mandela returned from prison, every soul unitedly gave him the chance to be president. the igbos did not unitedly support ojukwu when he bidded for the presidenty.
i am yet to find a place named after ojukwu in the east(correct me if am wrong). nothing monumental to stand as a symbol representing odumegwu's personality. even in enugu where he lived, nothing to show that a great man for the igbos lived there. he lived there like a loner. i have been to his enugu residence twice and even the street isnt named after him.

Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by tunnytox(m): 5:32pm On Nov 30, 2011
okija*juju:

Ikemba is the most loved and celebrated African in recent history. No one even comes close!

Ikemba, ogwugwu akpu Okija na ekene gi o! cool

Wake up from your sleep! you must be living in dreamland grin grin grin
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by ezeagu(m): 5:42pm On Nov 30, 2011
PointB:

@Pukka et al
This is a very simple matter really. If the countries he desired his body to tour accepts to receive him so be it.

As for how the Nigeria government will receive it, that is for Nigeria foreign diplomats to worry about and twist to their own advantage . Frankly the Igbo nation is not worried about how Nigeria will receive it. What sacrifice has Nigeria ever made to Igbos, that should make them worry about how the country will receive their dead hero's wish. What is important for now is to honour the dead man wish, and not how Nigeria government will interprete it.

The Nigerian government HAS to bury him or they'll just be giving his funeral away to MASSOB, which is NOT what they want.
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by SOLLYBOY1: 5:43pm On Nov 30, 2011
So Igbos or Ibos (whichever is applicable) really love IKEMBA ? so funny the love is so strong he lost all elective post in the EAST (Probably to Hausas or Yoruba)

Or it the north or south who prevented the east from electing him senetors since 1993 ?

I really appreciate all what IKEMBA stood for it is so sad we are yet to comprehend them.

The same vultures who are now trying to relate with his corpes never believed in him politicaly.

Which way NIGERIA ?

The same problem Awolowo suffered in the hands of his tribe b4 they turned his burial to carnival

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nigeriaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Na only to use mouth fight people we no c on top NL na hin we know

Grow uppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Pukkah: 5:44pm On Nov 30, 2011
okija*juju:

Ikemba, ogwugwu akpu Okija na ekene gi o!  cool

In what specific ways has this love been expressed?  You may refer to the following in your response:

jascon1:

Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by PointB: 6:02pm On Nov 30, 2011
@Pukkah
Stop spamming us with Jacson1's post, if it makes sense someone will respond to it. The fact it is being ignored by most people is simply because it is coming from an uninformed or ill intended position.

Monuments and street name are not the only way to honour a man. Beside is there anything to suggest that he was interested in those while he was alive. His losing election in those era could not be dissociated with the frauds that are passed of as election in Nigeria.

In any case only bastard Igbo sons question the love Igbo have for Ojukwu. As for what his traducer think of him, who cares?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by OlokoNla1(m): 6:08pm On Nov 30, 2011
how about Somalia?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by Pukkah: 6:13pm On Nov 30, 2011
PointB:

@Pukkah
Stop spamming us with Jacson1's post, if it makes sense someone will respond to it. The fact it is being ignored by most people is simply because it is coming from an uninformed or ill intended position.

Monuments and street name are not the only way to honour a man. Beside is there anything to suggest that he was interested in those while he was alive. His losing election in those era could not be dissociated with the frauds that are passed of as election in Nigeria.

In any case only bastard Igbo sons question the love Igbo have for Ojukwu. As for what his traducer think of him, who cares?

If I feel there's any reason to reproduce it, I will do so as many times as I want. smiley This is not spamming because the context in which it was used was not irrelevant.

By the way, would you have addressed some of the issues contained in his post if not for what you saw as 'spamming'?
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by dayokanu(m): 6:18pm On Nov 30, 2011
jascon1:

My friend met one Biafran soldier in Ahiazu Mbaise where he went to serve in 2005.

I think he said the man was even injured during the Biafra fight. the man despises Ojuku like anything for abandoning them at war and running to Abidajan

The same people he fought, years later he went to join them in NPN
Re: Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial In Anambra by WilyWily4: 6:26pm On Nov 30, 2011
that is one person, millions of his people love, you have to deal with it. ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Arthur Jarvis University-1st Private University In Cross River State Under Const / Osinbajo Visits Niger Delta Today, Youths Give Condition For Peace / FG Partners Horasis Zenera Consulting To Attract 500 Investors To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.