Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. (17456 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / We Should Support Initiatives To Promote Various Nigerian Cultures / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 11:50pm On Dec 04, 2011
@ NRI

Heres a picture of an Igbo maiden with head beads. In certain parts of Igboland, maidens usually tied their hair in round knots and laced it with beads just as Ibibios and Efiks do.

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 11:52pm On Dec 04, 2011
Here's another picture of an Igbo woman with head beads. Compare her neck beads with that of the Edo woman in the next picture.

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 12:08am On Dec 05, 2011
Again with bead similarities bewteen the Igbo and Edo.

Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 12:17am On Dec 05, 2011
What I've noticed is that the young women of the Igbo, Ibibio, Efik, and Ijaw tend to wear their attire in two pieces: A wrapper covering the bosom and another covering the waists leaving their belly exposed while Edo, Urhobo and Esan wear a long robe.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by NegroNtns(m): 12:57am On Dec 05, 2011
I'm often never on the same side of issues with Odumchi, but on this one Nri, I agree with the riff-raff that Igbo girls do wear head beads. Frankly I dont know any culture in South that the women do not use beads to adorn from head to ankles.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:46am On Dec 05, 2011
Odumchi, wearing a female hat made wth beads is different from lacing hair with bead. Igbo women do the later but it usually not prominent in their appearances. I see your point,but the Benin women and the Ijaws will cover their whole hair with beads,hence forming a hat but the Igbo women will only use few beads to design their hairs,which is quite different.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 4:50am On Dec 05, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Odumchi, wearing a female hat made wth beads is different from lacing hair with bead. Igbo women do the later but it usually not prominent in their appearances. I see your point,but the Benin women and the Ijaws will cover their whole hair with beads,hence forming a hat but the Igbo women will only use few beads to design their hairs,which is quite different.

I respect your opinion.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by tpia5: 6:15am On Dec 05, 2011
you need to post photos from 100- 200 or more years ago to make your point.

no one is denying the obvious links between all these cultures but posting pictures of modern women with beads doesnt quite cut it.

also, you can look at cultural similarities in areas like masquerades, food, traditional religion, etc.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 6:25am On Dec 05, 2011
tpia@:

you need to post photos from 100- 200 or more years ago to make your point.

no one is denying the obvious links between all these cultures but posting pictures of modern women with beads doesnt quite cut it.

also, you can look at cultural similarities in areas like masquerades, food, traditional religion, etc.

If you're referring to the dressing, the type of things that you see here are what our distant ancestors wore. These articles of clothing aren't exactly "modern". Notice how I said to disregard the wrappers and blouses because things like that don't necessarily fall into the category of "traditional attire".
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by tpia5: 6:29am On Dec 05, 2011
Notice how I said to disregard the wrappers and blouses because things like that don't necessarily fall into the category of "traditional attire".

true.

which is why, in examining links between cultures and peoples, things like traditional religion, food, deities worshipped, masquerades, etc are a more reliable indicator than clothing and/or beads.

just saying.

checking the source, suppliers and makers of the beads could also give some clues.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by odumchi: 6:33am On Dec 05, 2011
If you think that will help, I'll post some photos later.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by tpia5: 6:39am On Dec 05, 2011
^^you dont necessarily have to, since there are photos on other threads.

i'm just pointing out the fact that while its true most southeast/southsouth/midwest cultures have similar dressing and beads, those other factors are a more solid way of demonstrating the intercultural links.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by maki(f): 9:20am On Dec 05, 2011
boundry adjustment is talking again grin
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by Mosesli: 12:14pm On Dec 05, 2011
In Naija we've got beautiful cultures.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by oduasolja: 1:52am On Dec 06, 2011
buhahahhaha. i laff ohh. so when did igbo women start wearing clothes talkless of beads.

and edos , buhahhahahaha.

nah who teach them how to tie wrapper ?

thank goodness for the whiteman in some peoples lives.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by PhysicsQED(m): 3:25am On Dec 06, 2011
Multiple groups of women from different ethnic groups wore beads, but they had their own different styles. Nowadays, the Bini style is not exclusive to Bini women.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by PhysicsQED(m): 3:33am On Dec 06, 2011
oduasolja:

buhahahhaha. i laff ohh. so when did igbo women start wearing clothes talkless of beads.

and edos , buhahhahahaha.

nah who teach them how to tie wrapper ?

thank goodness for the whiteman in some peoples lives.

So a wrapper is a traditional "whiteman" (Western European) style of dressing now?

Do you realize how dumb you sound?

At the very most, if looking for outside influence, one might be inclined to look towards the Sudan or Egypt for a similar dress style to that of people who wore wrappers, but not to Europe or to white people in general.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ezeagu(m): 6:58pm On Dec 07, 2011
What I'm most interested in knowing is how this got to the other

[center][img]http://4.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TLtyt9anSWI/AAAAAAAAAJY/JaUonOlTJCM/s1600/awka_headdress.jpg[/img][/center]

I've hardly seen any Igbo person wearing authentic Igbo attire, apart from royalty.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ezeagu(m): 7:00pm On Dec 07, 2011
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ezeagu(m): 7:02pm On Dec 07, 2011
I'm even thinking what we now know as Edo attire was only for noble people back then, something about every common person wearing all those beads doesn't fit well with the image of old Benin.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ezeagu(m): 7:07pm On Dec 07, 2011
[center]Igbo cultural "alluding", modern clothes formed in the fashion of a time long forgotten. The modern traditional Igbo wear isn't a continuation of a tradition, but an effort, or even guess, of what traditions were. That's why you get all this confusion of what is Igbo attire when you see Igbo women dressed like Benin princesses to their weddings. Most of these people have no clue what their ancestors looked like apart from nollywood, which is almost 100% inaccurate all the time. The girl below is wearing something we now call George, obviously from its name we see it something foreign, and in all the photos of Igboland taken between the 1880s and 1920s we don't see anyone wearing the material, they only started spreading around the 1930s.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_oC_NfFNkTFE/SRID4glYNpI/AAAAAAAAAII/M-i28hwO4IE/s400/lauretamaidenandsister.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ezeagu(m): 7:11pm On Dec 07, 2011
There are many things that have become part of generic Igbo fashion, and generic Nigerian fashion which has wiped away many of the authentic traditional clothing. This includes all the blouses, lace, head ties, handbags and plastic beads.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ChinenyeN(m): 7:47pm On Dec 07, 2011
@ezeagu; what is the origin of those black and white pictures? By that I mean, who are the people represented there?
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by PhysicsQED(m): 11:20am On Dec 08, 2011
ezeagu:

I'm even thinking what we now know as Edo attire was only for noble people back then, something about every common person wearing all those beads doesn't fit well with the image of old Benin.

Yeah, beads in general were for the nobility.

http://africa.si.edu/collections/view/objects/asitem/People$00402369/0?t:state:flow=dc2054ae-ee55-4620-95cd-f476c68ef042

"Date: 18th-19th century
Maker: Benin kingdom court style
Edo peoples
Dimensions: H x W: 24.4 x 23.5 cm (9 5/8 x 9 1/4 in.)
Medium: Copper alloy
Credit Line: Gift of Joseph H. Hirshhorn to the Smithsonian Institution in 1966
Geography: Nigeria
This object possibly supported an ivory tusk on an altar. The depiction of four female figures holding gongs suggests an association with an iyoba, or queen mother. Two figures strike bird gongs, which symbolize the infallibility of the oba."
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ezeagu(m): 12:04pm On Dec 08, 2011
ChinenyeN:

@ezeagu; what is the origin of those black and white pictures? By that I mean, who are the people represented there?

I think the three women and the women who is trying not to laugh are from Oka, I'm not sure of the others because it doesn't say from where I got them (ukpuru..com), but most of these pictures are from what is now Anambra. From what I've seen, I think people in what is now Abia were more likely to use threads for hair styles.

PhysicsQED:

Yeah, beads in general were for the nobility.

I thought so, because I remember seeing a picture on the Benin art thread where most people were wearing white.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:42pm On Dec 08, 2011
ezeagu:

I think the three women and the women who is trying not to laugh are from Oka, I'm not sure of the others because it doesn't say from where I got them (ukpuru..com), but most of these pictures are from what is now Anambra. From what I've seen, I think people in what is now Abia were more likely to use threads for hair styles.
Oh okay. Thank you.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by Abagworo(m): 3:46pm On Dec 08, 2011
From my research so far it seems all black Africans were very much alike in culture,religion and a lot of things before contact with Europeans. Most of these things we call our culture today are infact the things that killed our culture. Arabs and Europeans. Our real culture was beautiful and rich.

So we can actually say our true culture existed before the 16th century.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by somegirl1: 4:59pm On Dec 08, 2011
I very much doubt people from Imo wore those headgears.
They are nice however.
Any idea what they were made from?
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by Abagworo(m): 5:24pm On Dec 08, 2011
some-girl:

I very much doubt people from Imo wore those headgears.
They are nice however.
Any idea what they were made from?

Very difficult to ascertain based on the present constitution of states with artificial boundary. That said I think a whole lot of black Africans wore a variation of that gear all the way down to Zanzibar and Swaziland.
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by ezeagu(m): 5:43pm On Dec 08, 2011
Something I also find interesting is that Igbo boys grew their hair, while now it's looked down upon:

[center][img]http://4.bp..com/-NP7lSgIM4Lk/TqSdoTiUxUI/AAAAAAAAAt0/jrUkXkraXU0/s1600/AN00058171_001_l.jpeg%2Bcopy[/img][/center]
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by PhysicsQED(m): 5:54pm On Dec 08, 2011
Abagworo:

From my research so far it seems all black Africans were very much alike in culture,religion and a lot of things before contact with Europeans. Most of these things we call our culture today are infact the things that killed our culture. Arabs and Europeans. Our real culture was beautiful and rich.

So we can actually say our true culture existed before the 16th century.

lol, research? Aren't you the same person that claimed that

a) we were all unclad before contact with either Europeans or Arabs (you said this recently in another thread)

and that

b) "The only traditional cloth making community in Southern Nigeria is Akwette in Abia State"
Re: The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. by Abagworo(m): 12:05am On Dec 09, 2011
PhysicsQED:

lol, research? Aren't you the same person that claimed that

a) we were all unclad before contact with either Europeans or Arabs (you said this recently in another thread)

and that

b) "The only traditional cloth making community in Southern Nigeria is Akwette in Abia State"

A) Africans were purely the same and are still same to me. We were all unclad and lived in mud houses with thatch roof and that is the truth. Going by all the older pictures I've seen only either the noble or elderly wore clothes. The children and common people were stack naked or show me any picture displaying other wise.

B) I can't vouch for so I won't argue about that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wollofs And Mandinkas Lets Meet Here :)- / Yoruba History / Yoruba Cities, Towns And Villages- What Do Their Names Mean?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.