Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,652 members, 7,955,364 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:28 AM

Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda (4110 Views)

Jimi Agbaje And Ambode At The Lagos State Governorship Debate (Photo) / Abia State: Vote Dr Okezie For Governorship 2015 / Julius Agwu Declares To Run For Rivers State Governorship 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by homerac7: 10:27am On Dec 04, 2011
can someone wt computer access please post d entirety of ds interesting article? It's shockingly true reflection of what I hav observed personally. Or can there b another angle to d illusion?

www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/lagos-state-governorship-2015-christian-agenda-%e2%80%931/
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Relax101(m): 10:49am On Dec 04, 2011
Now whoever wrote and posted that crap there needs to be in jail!
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by homerac7: 11:11am On Dec 04, 2011
^ behind d impulsive urge to dismiss him, do u think d statist is skewed?
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Pukkah: 12:00pm On Dec 04, 2011
They've started their divisive politics again.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Beaf: 12:14pm On Dec 04, 2011
Is there any non-Muslim ACN governor aside Adams Oshiomole? Also, aside Joe Igbokwe, there doesn't seem to be many non-Muslims in the top heirachy of ACN either. Political parties need to balance representation.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by hercules07: 12:32pm On Dec 04, 2011
@Beaf

In the SW, we do not care about your religion, we have people of different faiths in our families. ACN can put in a place an idol worshipper, I do not care as long as he delivers, his religion should stay in his house.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Pukkah: 12:44pm On Dec 04, 2011
In Ekiti, both Fayemi and his Deputy are Christians. For me, it really doesn't matter.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by jmaine: 12:55pm On Dec 04, 2011
The moment we maintain the crude culture of polarizing every thing along ethno-religious line . . . .we are only courting one word . ." CHAOS" . . . With our current state of health as a nation . .we should not make such a pointer at any given time. . .as far as the SW is concerned . . . we don't care whether your a Christian or Muslim . .you rarely notice such divisions . . .

Personally i don't care whether the next Lagos State Governor is a Muslim or Christian cos being either does not equate to good leadership . . .
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Pukkah: 12:58pm On Dec 04, 2011
There was even a time in the South West when all the governors (except Fashola) were Christians: Daniel in Ogun, Akala in Oyo, Oni in Ekiti, Oyinlola in Osun, and Agagu in Ondo. Was there any rancour?

Personally, I don't even think that all these leaders in Nigeria PRACTICE either Islam or Christianity. They simply use it (when convenient) to divide the people and keep them down.

I ask, how did Yar'adua empower muslims or are Christians getting richer now under Jonathan? People should see through this kind of shenanigans and vote for those that can really deliver development to them regardless of his faith or lack of it.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by hajifaty: 1:02pm On Dec 04, 2011
Who are these fools that always bring religion issues into politics? U don't have to be a muslim,xtain or pagan to to lead us. What we want is a good leadership that cares about the citizen. 90% of nigerians are cowards and religion bigots. that's why we never move  forward.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by homerac7: 1:07pm On Dec 04, 2011
As petty as d claim may look, is there such trend or not? Remember its specific wt lagos state.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Pukkah: 1:10pm On Dec 04, 2011
The trend is not easy to establish. I guess some politician is just flying the kite ahead of 2015.

Didn't PDP field Obanikoro, a muslim, against Fashola? Did people love Agbaje because of his religion? Imagine if had contested on a stronger platform?
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by homerac7: 1:23pm On Dec 04, 2011
^ thnx for d matured response, but I want u to note d trend as put by d writer. PDP has fielded late Williams before who was also a strong candidate. Has ACN ever tried to consider ds little matter in their choices? Maybe u start wt long list of d 52 LCDA candidates/chairmen. Then move on to commissioners. Is it skewed or not?
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Pukkah: 1:31pm On Dec 04, 2011
You see, what I think (I might be wrong though) is that Lagos politics is dominated by indigenes and more Lagos indigenes are Muslims. This fact also needs to be considered.

I haven't looked at the list of commissioners/LG chairmen anyway as you suggested.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by homerac7: 1:40pm On Dec 04, 2011
^ God bless u my brother. Dats spot-on, no more no less.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by aurenflani: 1:59pm On Dec 04, 2011
the shameless hypocracy of some ppl knows no bond. this fanatical christians are d bane of nigeria.
tell me, which governor since 1999 has performed better than tinubu & fashola? d problm with dis ppl is dat they don't think positively as bigotry & d tendency 4 bias are elements in d compound of their psychy!
if not 4 dis kind of primitive inclination, honestly buhari would hv been president 2DAY & ALL DIS THIEVING & DOUBLE STANDARD AGAINST D MASSES OF NIGERIA WOULDN'T HV BEEN POSSIBLE!
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by PointB: 2:30pm On Dec 04, 2011
homerac7:

can someone wt computer access please post d entirety of ds interesting article? It's shockingly true reflection of what I hav observed personally. Or can there b another angle to d illusion?

www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/lagos-state-governorship-2015-christian-agenda-%e2%80%931/

I will oblige:

Lagos State governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda –1

On December 4, 2011 · In Frankly Speaking
Tweet

“There is no inequality which those favoured don’t consider that it is based on merit”.

Anonymous equal rights activist.

The Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, should start now thinking of a Christian successor to Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN, a Muslim, by religion, for 2015. Otherwise Christians should spend the next three and a half years, before the April 2015 elections, searching for another political party in which they will no longer be treated as second class members.

The conclusion, which also represents the battle line, if it comes to that, has been stated up-front before the overwhelming evidence for this demand for a fair deal for Christians in Lagos state is presented in order to avoid any misunderstanding on the issue.

The “Progressives” in Lagos state have for too long discriminated against Christians in selections for public office despite the fact that Lagos is at least 50% Christian. The time for redress has come. Not only because it is just but because many Christians have now come to realize that their votes have been taken for granted for too long from Action Group, AG, through Unity Party of Nigeria, UPN, to Social Democratic Party, SDP, Alliance for Democracy, AD, and now, Action Party of Nigeria, ACN the progressives have not once fielded a Christian for the post of governor.

Only the military and the “conservatives” have demonstrated the sense of fairness which the “Progressives” obviously lack to field Christians. By contrast, under “Progressives” the powerless post of Deputy Governor has been reserved for us – second class citizens – and in the last twelve years, it has been made clear to us that the occupant of the post is at best an irritant to the governor or at worst regarded as an enemy in the camp.

With the exception of Rafiu Jafojo, a Muslim Deputy Governor serving under Jakande, a Muslim Governor, no Christian Deputy had been allowed to serve a second term with the governor – for reasons best known to our “masters” in the “Progressive” parties named above.

That is an incontrovertible fact which none can deny. And let nobody be foolish enough to write to me and state that the party chose the best candidate each and every time. That will only infuriate Christians more and will be fully answered in the strongest language possible.

However, before proceeding let me clear some points which boot-lickers will want to raise. First, I have no political ambition; at least not yet. Second, nobody should attempt to read into this write-up an anti-Muslim declaration because that will be false. Like most Lagosians, on both sides of my family, there are Muslims and Christians – almost equally divided. I am also the grandson of an Alhaji and an Alhaja.

Third, the matter of discrimination against Christians, not only in the selection of candidates for governor but other elective posts, as well as appointments, in Lagos State, was first brought to my notice in January of this year by a group wanting to make an issue out of it before the April elections and asking me to join the struggle. I resisted for two reasons.

One, I thought the timing was inappropriate because long term readers of this column would recall my campaign against PDP. To attack ACN would have amounted to aiding PDP in its quest to “capture” Lagos ; and that was unacceptable. Cutting several noses to spite somebody’s face is not my style.

Two, Governor Fashola had done such a good, not yet great, job in Lagos, I strongly believe he deserved a second term to finish most of what he started – granted every governor, even if he serves ten terms, will still leave behind several unfinished tasks and projects.

So, I resisted the temptation to fight one of the greatest injustices in our country today in January 2011. Now I can wait no longer for reasons best known to some of the leaders of the ACN. I wont say more than that.

One final point before I present the case. This is not a partisan matter; in 2015, any party which fails to give Christians a fair deal, not only in the selection of governorship candidate, but other offices as well, will face a massive block vote against it. That is not a threat; it is a promise which Christians have three and a half years to deliver. Enough, simply, is enough….

BEFORE WE OCCUPY – 4

“6% of customers owned 88% of bank deposits in 2010 –NDIC”.

PUNCH, November 17, 2011.

And just in case any Nigerian cannot comprehend simple subtraction, the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation, NDIC, helped us out by pointing out that the rest of us, bloody suffer-heads, 94% or 158 million out of 167 million, had only 12% of the deposits in our account.

At least now we know those who are for or against fuel subsidy. President Jonathan is, of course, among the 6% — the guy who had no shoes can now afford to own a shoe factory, if he chooses. Perhaps he should go and establish a shoe factory in Otuoke. How can he possibly understand the problem of those still going without shoes?

Among those holding the 88% of deposits are Chief Executive bank robbers; ex-governors and ex-IGP, among big-wigs, who were left off the hook through corrupt plea bargaining by judges and prosecutors. They stole our money and they are allowed to keep the loot. Also among them are former governors who were allowed to make “refunds” by the Code of Conduct Bureau, CCB, after stealing their states blind! Some have moved on to greater heights too!

Last week, this column drew attention to the increasing body of literature pointing to the correlation between under-development and inequitable distribution of wealth in a nation. Nigeria has once of the worst disparities in the world. Yet, our leaders refuse to address this because if they do, the sacrifices they ask for must start from them…

WHEN TWO PHDS ARE WORSE THAN NONE

You have heard it said very often that “two heads are better than one”. President Jonathan, PhD and Reuben Abati, PhD have just proved that two PhDs might be worse than none. Professor Achebe rejected National Honours several years ago citing reasons. He again rejected it this year. The President and Abati got angry pointing to “reforms” which have nothing to do with Achebe’s complaint. Jonathan’s response was not surprising. But, Abati is now a problem. Whatever happened to that erudite and logical member of Patito’s gang? Has the Aso Rock disease claimed another victim?

$3 BILLION INFLATED CONTRACT TO TSKJ IN 2002. Who received the bribes? No Wikileak. Try “DeleLeaks”. Read the book. Only N5000 per copy.

[url]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/lagos-state-governorship-2015-christian-agenda-%E2%80%931/[/url]
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Ufeolorun(m): 6:51pm On Dec 04, 2011
Am not surprised this is coming from Vanguard but they have already failed,going by  most of the comments on same article.

You can see heavy hand of outsiders who feel marginalised in the scheme of things.
Remove the number of non indigenes  from the christian value and you would have a far lower value compared to indigenous muslims.

@ GEJ worker on NL,
The chairman of ACN in lagos is a Christian.
Rhino said it,you r fiercely anti-Yoruba but you don't have enough liver unlike your compatriots to make it plain, that's why you always prancing around threads shouting ACN this and that.I gladly help you replace ACN with yoruba most times when you go on your Aregbe or Acn  shindig, Cos any sensible person should be able to glean this from your paid tricks.

Most of this politician are just neck deep into trado-religion anyws.

Some of us are deeply committed to our land and will be ready to drive a stake into the heart of anyone (Yoruba (/'Sobowale'or not,muslim or christian) ready to cos turmoil.
The fanatics would have to leave the land for us to go live in jerusalem or arabia or else!.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Pukkah: 6:54pm On Dec 04, 2011
^^^On a lighter note, it's high time we started saying to the fanatics to relocate to the places from where the religions were imported. LOL.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by JamesDoe: 7:02pm On Dec 04, 2011
This article is ridiculous. Why cut it across religios lines.

Why not say: ACN discriminates against people who are above 6ft 5inch.

Rubbish. Are the people doing their job or not,  ACN could do much better but the reason why Nigerian politicians fail is not due to their religios affiliations.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Ufeolorun(m): 7:05pm On Dec 04, 2011
Pukkah,
Yes to your proposal!
Smiling. cheesy
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Afam4eva(m): 7:20pm On Dec 04, 2011
Someone wants to play the religion card.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Pukkah: 7:22pm On Dec 04, 2011
^^I think so too. We don't need that anymore.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by hustla242: 7:38pm On Dec 04, 2011
Religion can and will never play any role in Lagos politics.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by jason123: 7:44pm On Dec 04, 2011
PRIMITIVE POLITICS
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Akanbiedu(m): 8:41am On Dec 05, 2011
PDP is trying to create another Jos or Kaduna in Lagos.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Xfactoria: 11:44am On Dec 05, 2011
Well, it may seem like this article is kind of intended to play the religious card but Tinubu, the grandmaster of ACN himself started it all.

Sometime in 2005, Tinubu was quoted by one gossip newspaper to have vowed that a non-muslim can never succeed him as Governor of Lagos State. It was a muslim gathering in Lagos Island and all the people that mattered in Lagos who were muslims were there and they applauded him. In 2006, a leading candidate of the PDP, a christian, was murdered in his house in Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi in mysterious circumstances that has not been unravelled yet. In 2007, all road was cleared for Fashola, a muslim, to be crowned as Lagos Governor.

There is indeed a conspiracy theory that seems credible and Tinubu is not the only one in the middle of it. The Oba of Lagos and other notable Lagos indigenes are also part of the conspiracy and it is not an accident that most of them are muslims.

I follow things in the grassroot so well to know that things like this don't just happen by accidents. They are planned!
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Afam4eva(m): 11:49am On Dec 05, 2011
X-factoria:

Well, it may seem like this article is kind of intended to play the religious card but Tinubu, the grandmaster of ACN himself started it all.

Sometime in 2005, Tinubu was quoted by one gossip newspaper to have vowed that a non-muslim can never succeed him as Governor of Lagos State. It was a muslim gathering in Lagos Island and all the people that mattered in Lagos who were muslims were there and they applauded him. In 2006, a leading candidate of the PDP, a christian, was murdered in his house in Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi in mysterious circumstances that has not been unravelled yet. In 2007, all road was cleared for Fashola, a muslim, to be crowned as Lagos Governor.

There is indeed a conspiracy theory that seems credible and Tinubu is not the only one in the middle of it. The Oba of Lagos and other notable Lagos indigenes are also part of the conspiracy and it is not an accident that most of them are muslims.

I follow things in the grassroot so well to know that things like this don't just happen by accidents. They are planned!

Hmm. This allegation carry weight oo.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by AbuMaryam1(m): 11:59am On Dec 05, 2011
Its coming to reality gradually, when north is burning some are celebrating viewing the crisis with the lens of religion. Now that they want to introduce Kaduna and Jos in Lagos, people are crying fowls. open your eyes well. We have said it the fighting is not inter-religious rather despot leaders and poor masses.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by jamilahbal: 2:43pm On Dec 05, 2011
Kai, abeg, how can a sane person write something like this.
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by hercules07: 3:50pm On Dec 05, 2011
@X-factoria

You are a known anti ACN, so, whatever you say will not carry weight, you think Tinubu is OBJ who opens his mouth to say anything he feels like?
Re: Lagos State Governorship: 2015 Christian Agenda by Beaf: 4:03pm On Dec 05, 2011
hercules07:

@Beaf

In the SW, we do not care about your religion, we have people of different faiths in our families. ACN can put in a place an idol worshipper, I do not care as long as he delivers, his religion should stay in his house.

I admire that.
My comment came from fears of what someone who should know said; that they bonded themselves in Meccah or Dubai. It is an unproven story, so I don't push it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

If The South East Governors Wants Igbos Back, They Should Build Us A Sea Port / Zakzaky Identifies Soldier Who Shot His 3 Sons / "Leaders Of Tomorrow" And How It Affects The Youth. Must Read!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.