Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,747 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: (3576 Views)

Pregnant 23-year Old British Lady Faces Deportation To Nigeria / Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man / Coming To Naija For Reunion , Any Good Resturant ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 12:48am On Dec 08, 2011
Hey Nairalanders,
I'm a 20 year old British-Nigerian. I collect my Nigerian passport next week.

So I'll be visiting Nigeria for the first time in 2012, where must i visit?
Please let me know,

I might be in Nigeria for a few months so list as many amazing places as you can, thanks.
(landmarks, events, festivals, lakes, beaches, clubs, markets, shops, best places to eat, museums ect)

Also, would it be unsafe to travel alone as a young woman?

Thanks in advance!
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by justwise(m): 1:03am On Dec 08, 2011
y3mz1:

Hey Nairalanders,

Please let me know,

I might be in Nigeria for a few months so list as many amazing places as you can, thanks.
(landmarks, events, festivals, lakes, beaches, clubs, markets, shops, best places to eat, museums ect)

Thanks in advance!

Tell people the city u will be visiting, that will help them advice you.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 1:06am On Dec 08, 2011
O I should of mentioned although I'm hoping to see a lot of Nigeria I will probably be based in Lagos.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Dyt(f): 10:22am On Dec 08, 2011
n y does dis sound scam 2 me
u got no one?
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by collinsfbi(m): 10:27am On Dec 08, 2011
Hey Nairalanders,

Please let me know,

Thanks in advance!

I think it will be better if you have someone to hang out with, more or less like a tourist guide for your safety since you will base in Lagos. At the same time, you have to make sure he/she is someone you know very well (relatives) because you may face diff things in lagos most esp. if someone any of these so called area boys find out that it's your first visit to Nigeria. On the other hand, you can start your in Lagos by paying a visit to the following places:
Seaside attraction and resorts at Bar Beach, Victoria Island camera camera
Badagry: the first missionary post and houses the first two-storey building in the country
Lekki Conservation Centre
National Museum: which houses important relics such as the traditional Benin Bronzes and the replica of the Festac '77 symbol.
Didi Museum
Tarkwa Bay Beach
National Theater, Iganmu, Lagos camera
Jankara Market on Lagos Island
Murtala Muhammed Memorial Botanical Garden  

Gbammmm over and out
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 1:24pm On Dec 09, 2011
Dyt:

u got no one?

Lool maybe reading through the first few paragraphs of this article will help you understand why I may not have people to travel with, http://www.nollywoodgossip.net/2011/07/12/one-of-six-finalists-in-the-sun-newspapers-search-for-next-column-idol-elizabeth-akingbade-yemzi-speaks-with-nollywoodgossip/
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 1:26pm On Dec 09, 2011
collinsfbi:

I think it will be better if you have someone to hang out with, more or less like a tourist guide for your safety since you will base in Lagos. At the same time, you have to make sure he/she is someone you know very well (relatives) because you may face diff things in lagos most esp. if someone any of these so called area boys find out that it's your first visit to Nigeria. On the other hand, you can start your in Lagos by paying a visit to the following places:
Seaside attraction and resorts at Bar Beach, Victoria Island camera camera
Badagry: the first missionary post and houses the first two-storey building in the country
Lekki Conservation Centre
National Museum: which houses important relics such as the traditional Benin Bronzes and the replica of the Festac '77 symbol.
Didi Museum
Tarkwa Bay Beach
National Theater, Iganmu, Lagos camera
Jankara Market on Lagos Island
Murtala Muhammed Memorial Botanical Garden  

Gbammmm over and out

Thanks collinsfbi, this is so helpful!
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 09, 2011
Dyt:

u got no one?

Hopefully, you'll read follow the link supplied, and be man enough to apologise to Yemzi. It's best to engage our brains before acting.

http://www.nollywoodgossip.net/2011/07/12/one-of-six-finalists-in-the-sun-newspapers-search-for-next-column-idol-elizabeth-akingbade-yemzi-speaks-with-nollywoodgossip/
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Dyt(f): 2:25pm On Dec 09, 2011
^^ well uncle mayb u nid educate me

wz jst surprised she s got no one in lag nt even a distance member
sounds fishy 2 me
y nt tk d honour n cm down 2 lag 2 tk er everywhere sir?
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by llbhuds: 2:32pm On Dec 09, 2011
Another lost sheep coming home and later promising never to visit naija again in her life
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 2:52pm On Dec 09, 2011
llbhuds:

Another lost sheep coming home and later promising never to visit naija again in her life

After sharing that link to explain my situation that's a very rude thing to say.
How am I lost, please tell me. I am very settled here in London, my birth place, I am choosing to discover Nigeria.
And why would you assume I would never visit Nigeria again. I applied for a passport, not a visa, I have intentions of coming back regularly.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 2:58pm On Dec 09, 2011
Dyt:

sounds fishy 2 me

At any point in this post did I say I have no family members, not even distant?
I am in University, maybe the months I am free my family members are not?
Maybe I have been completely disconnected from my Nigerian family members for one reason or another?
Maybe the people I want to travel with cannot afford to?
Maybe I want to take a trip alone?

Please broaden your mind.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 3:03pm On Dec 09, 2011
Siena:

Hopefully, you'll read follow the link supplied, and be man enough to apologise to Yemzi. It's best to engage our brains before acting.

http://www.nollywoodgossip.net/2011/07/12/one-of-six-finalists-in-the-sun-newspapers-search-for-next-column-idol-elizabeth-akingbade-yemzi-speaks-with-nollywoodgossip/

Thanks for the support Seina. Some people here amaze me. 'Fishy', 'lost sheep'. Lol, ridiculously narrow minds.
I must of been a fool to think most Nigerians would embrace a British born Nigerian discovering her roots.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Nobody: 3:04pm On Dec 09, 2011
Dyt:

sounds fishy 2 me

It only sounds fishy, because you've made up your mind that's what you wish to see. I too don't have any distant relatives in Lagos, does that make me suspicious? Lagos is just a city in Nigeria, not everyone has to live, or have relatives there. Sometimes it's best not to make assumptions, or even if we do, don't voice them.

Please read through my posts - whenever I've made mistakes, I've apologised. In your case, rather than accept you're wrong, you'd rather attempt to justify your error, and drag things on. Admitting you've erred won't harm you, it makes you a bigger man, or in your case woman.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Dyt(f): 3:07pm On Dec 09, 2011
well peeps
i jst said all i felt
ridiculous u call ursef a nigerian n u dont v any far far far family or frnds in lag
n i dont think i v said anyth wrong
i jst said sounds fishy n dat wz b4 i saw d write ups
so sorry if anyth i v said up dere pisses any of u

i cld tk tym outta work 2 tk u 2 sm places,bt jst a day n dats if u dont mind
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Nobody: 3:23pm On Dec 09, 2011
Dyt:

ridiculous u call ursef a nigerian n u dont v any far far far family or frnds in lag

Sister Dyt, you still don't get it. Does every Nigerian have to have relatives in Lagos? I don't have any distant or close relatives in Nigeria, does that make me ridiculous? Your statement creates the impression, that unless you have relatives in Lagos, you can't be Nigerian, which is wrong.

Dyt:

That's better. I'm sure Yemzi will appreciate your generous offer. This is how things should be.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Nobody: 3:27pm On Dec 09, 2011
y3mz1:

Thanks for the support Seina. Some people here amaze me. 'Fishy', 'lost sheep'. Lol, ridiculously narrow minds.
I must of been a fool to think most Nigerians would embrace a British born Nigerian discovering her roots.

I wouldn't worry too much about the odd minority, I'd just take such comments with a pinch of salt. Over my years on here, I've learnt to develop a thick skin, and not let unsavoury comments get to me.

Nigerians are generally warm and welcoming, just a few exhibit traits that can only be attributed to ignorance.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 3:28pm On Dec 09, 2011
Dyt:

well peeps
i jst said all i felt
n i dont think i v said anyth wrong
i jst said sounds fishy n dat wz b4 i saw d write ups
so sorry if anyth i v said up dere pisses any of u

I'm not saying I don't have friends or family in Lagos, in fact I do.
You say I can't call myself a Nigerian if I don't have friends or family in Lagos, that's ridiculous.
If I wasn't Nigerian I wouldn't be collecting my Nigerian passport next week.
When you have effectively adopted (I was in a very long term foster care) by an English family from a very young age it is easy to be disconnected from Nigerian culture, family ect.
I'm not at all pissed off I'm just surprised you can't see where I'm coming from.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 3:29pm On Dec 09, 2011
*effectively been
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Dyt(f): 3:35pm On Dec 09, 2011
u both r gettin me wrong ooo
mayb i didint construct my sentences so ryt
bt all i meant is sure u must v even if a frnd frnds frnds smwhere arnd
i give up
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 3:41pm On Dec 09, 2011
I didn't intend to share such personal information on this forum but to make things clearer,

I haven't been raised by my Nigerian parents, my trip to Nigeria is to learn about Nigerian culture - just embracing the country.
As I haven't been raised by my Nigerian family (who are from Lagos) and I am not in touch with them, I intend to travel alone.
I have a brother in London who visits Nigeria once or twice a year, if people insist I shouldn't travel alone I will consider asking him to come along.
However I want to be in Nigeria for a number of months and my brother is a working professional and cannot get that length of time off work.
My ex boyfriend, from Kano, is studying here in the UK, he said I may be able to stay at him family's house which if I remember correctly is in Lagos.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by newmusic: 4:41pm On Dec 09, 2011
@dyt, how is this related to scam? You need to take it easy on her, well good you said you have given up.

@OP, please do not stay in Kano, northern nigeria is not the best place at this time. You can stay in Lagos and visit so many places and this is where things are actually happening. I will also advise you to visit Port Harcourt and Abuja,

We will be glad to welcome you home,
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by 25omega(m): 4:42pm On Dec 09, 2011
yemz1

The mistake you made is trying to justify your reason for your trip to those with questions one poster already gave you great suggestions and hope more people who know will show up and give you more.

Before you go though you should make sure your living arrangement, transportation and phone is solidly taken care of that way you wont have any surprises
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 5:49pm On Dec 09, 2011
newmusic:

@dyt, how is this related to scam? You need to take it easy on her, well good you said you have given up.

@OP, please do not stay in Kano, northern nigeria is not the best place at this time. You can stay in Lagos and visit so many places and this is where things are actually happening. I will also advise you to visit Port Harcourt and Abuja,

We will be glad to welcome you home,

Thanks newmuic,
Port Harcourt rings a bell, I think someone told me they had a lot of fun clubbing there, could this be correct?
Abuja is already on my list, Katampe Hills smiley
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 5:56pm On Dec 09, 2011
25omega:

yemz1

The mistake you made is trying to justify your reason for your trip to those with questions one poster already gave you great suggestions and hope more people who know will show up and give you more.

Before you go though you should make sure your living arrangement, transportation and phone is solidly taken care of that way you wont have any surprises

I know I didn't have to justify myself, but I don't feel it was a mistake by doing so because maybe these people who jump to conclusions may think twice in future.

Yes, I hope to get many more suggestions.

& thanks I will be sure to have those 3 things sorted.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by newmusic: 7:13pm On Dec 09, 2011
Yes there are so many clubs in PH, lot of fun and never a dull moment. Lagos will definitely provide more of that but you will have to cope with the hustles and bustles and also the hold up in lagos is another bitter-sweet experience.

But do you think you can do all these exploring all alone? boring i think.
Anyway it depends on your activities, cheerz
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by EEngineer1(m): 8:29pm On Dec 09, 2011
@op, please try and visit obudu cattle ranch in crossriver state of nigeria, if you come to nigeria without visiting there then know u r missing a lot. here is a link to a nairaland thread showing pics and discussing about it,

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-816993.0.html
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by larryshow4(m): 7:07am On Dec 10, 2011
@op,

You should visit Badagry township, Its very historical, you get to see everything about the slave trade back then, how they are transported and the chains used in transporting them, the building where they were kept then, you get to see the museum and so many other things, But never expect too much from this tourist side as they still kinda have the old look, they are not developing rapidly like every other area in Lagos but they have this look that make you have the view of how it use to be back then. Let me know if you need help having your way around this town. I sure would provide assistance for you.

cool cool cool
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by jaybee3(m): 7:18am On Dec 10, 2011
SMH with the way you type in text lingo but expect people to understand where you are coming from.
Text language ought to be banned. Does my head in
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by justwise(m): 7:39am On Dec 10, 2011
jay bee:

SMH with the way you type in text lingo but expect people to understand where you are coming from.
Text language ought to be banned. Does my head in

grin grin grin
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by komekn(m): 2:26pm On Dec 12, 2011
yemz1,

I understand , feel and empathise with you in so many ways my heart feels for you, I was born in Scotland and me and my brother were the only black guys in the school and almost in the whole neighbourhood. I could have been totally lost if not for my parents who sent me back to Warri to go to high school and do my A/levels.

First thing there is a 9Ja saying we have, “Who no man, naim deh kill man” cut all those unknown family members out they will in most cases scam and fleece you dry. I was in Bournemouth over the summer not too many black people there and I doubt if you have much of a Nigerian community.

Essentially deal with those you know here, when you were at UNI you will have an African society and the larger majority will be Nigerians that’s a good place to key into. Now you are in London in a sense Nigeria’s first external city. I guarantee you will have a load of cousins there you just don’t know them, however you may not wish to find them.

You have another problem you are clearly attractive, so watch out here come the wolves in brightest white sheep clothing, 9ja guys don’t take prisoners and they got lyrics to dismantle the daughter of the queen.

I can recommend the church there are thousands of Nigerian churches in the UK and all over London all have various links with Nigeria they can organise you to be picked up, chaperoned accommodated with a family, in many cases for nothing etc , etc. And yes among these churches some are just simply a joke and will try to fleece you as well but I would say the larger percentages are true. What I don’t is if you are a Christian or not as the possibility for lifestyle clashes will be high if you are not, it’ll be like that programme “Worlds strictest parents” but then again that could be a good thing for you, the choice is yours.

Finally, watch nollywood it will give you a real good insight into the 9ja way so to speak, it is exaggerated in most cases but it’s a good start off point. Add to that 3 million plus people of Nigerian origin in the UK it’s almost impossible not to bump into your people.

Keep posting you will find some genuine people here, you just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

1 Like

Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Shola2009(m): 7:58pm On Dec 12, 2011
Just read through the interview.Very nice . .especially the part about making the short film after the accident. @OP, goodluck with the whole journey.I live in Nigeria,but ive never been the exploring type,hence the reason i have no suggestions. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Experience Traveling From Nigeria To Ghana By Road And Why I Run Back After / Please Where Can I Get Kaduna Bus Park In Lagos / Pictures Of Nigeria Border

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.