Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,504 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: (3580 Views)

Pregnant 23-year Old British Lady Faces Deportation To Nigeria / Getting Uk Citizenship By Marrying A British-nigerian Man / Coming To Naija For Reunion , Any Good Resturant ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by mimi234: 3:31am On Dec 13, 2011
komekn:

yemz1,

I understand , feel and empathise with you in so many ways my heart feels for you,  I was born in Scotland and me and my brother were the only black guys in the school and almost in the whole neighbourhood. I could have been totally lost if not for my parents who sent me back to Warri to go to high school and do my A/levels.

born in Scotland but why would your parents go so far north, its so cold up there lolol

To the thread starter going Nigeria is super fun esp during xmas but i wouldn't recommend you going by yourself , even places like hotels were you are ment to feel safe are not safe. Get in contact with your family or go with a couple of friends,

, this as got me thinking do actually go on holidays by themselves  shocked
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by tpia5: 3:40am On Dec 13, 2011
I don't have any distant or close relatives in Nigeria

i dont think that's possible.

what you mean perhaps is you're not close to/aware of your distant or close relatives in nigeria.

in many parts of nigeria, especially the southwest, most hometowns are full of people who are related to each other in some way.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Jenifa1: 3:50am On Dec 13, 2011
y3mz1:

I didn't intend to share such personal information on this forum but to make things clearer,

I haven't been raised by my Nigerian parents, my trip to Nigeria is to learn about Nigerian culture - just embracing the country.
As I haven't been raised by my Nigerian family (who are from Lagos) and I am not in touch with them, I intend to travel alone.
I have a brother in London who visits Nigeria once or twice a year, if people insist I shouldn't travel alone I will consider asking him to come along.
However I want to be in Nigeria for a number of months and my brother is a working professional and cannot get that length of time off work.
My ex boyfriend, from Kano, is studying here in the UK, he said I may be able to stay at him family's house which if I remember correctly is in Lagos.

Yes I would recommend going with somebody at least. go with your brother and then stay with brother's friends families (he should have connections there at least) Try to make friends and go with someone to other places. NEVER find yourself alone anywhere in naija. esp if you've never been there before. people are generally receptive so that shouldn't be a problem
I hope you enjoy your trip!!
I checked the links in your signature. you are stunning btw!!
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by zumbigbo(m): 10:19pm On Dec 13, 2011
yemz - Do not allow anyone or anything to put you off. Abeg.

You can see from the comments to your question that in general, a large part of Nigerians are mistrustful of anything. Most are innately suspicious of natural phenomena (like the sun shining), let alone trying to work out another person's motivation. The first thing that will hit you and be a slight shock will be the heat, you will sweat a lot so take some towels (hand towels) that you can whip out and dry your skin with. Mosquitoes will eat you up, but most chemists sell an ammonia based product called 'Afterbite' which reduces swelling and I can vouch is a life-saver to stop you scratching it into a small scar.

Compared to the UK, there is a general lack of thank-you's, please etc, so do not get offended if you do not hear these things. Also, we talk to each other harshly and shout (but this is because we believe in surround sound dynamics), take this all with a pinch of salt.

Do not travel at night (by coach), take plane by day as the roads are a mess.

Other than that, if you mingle with different kinds of people, you will be surprised at the joy and depth of human feeling that exists in 9ja despite our own innate predisposition to confusion, malice and skullduggery.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Nobody: 10:40pm On Dec 13, 2011
tpia@:

i dont think that's possible.

what you mean perhaps is you're not close to/aware of your distant or close relatives in nigeria.

in many parts of nigeria, especially the southwest, most hometowns are full of people who are related to each other in some way.

Tpia, please don't tell me about what family I may or may not have. You know nothing about my family background, who my parents were, or where they were from.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by justwise(m): 10:43pm On Dec 13, 2011
zumbigbo:

yemz - Do not allow anyone or anything to put you off. Abeg.

You can see from the comments to your question that in general, a large part of Nigerians are mistrustful of anything. Most are innately suspicious of natural phenomena (like the sun shining), let alone trying to work out another person's motivation. The first thing that will hit you and be a slight shock will be the heat, you will sweat a lot so take some towels (hand towels) that you can whip out and dry your skin with. Mosquitoes will eat you up, but most chemists sell an ammonia based product called 'Afterbite' which reduces swelling and I can vouch is a life-saver to stop you scratching it into a small scar.

Compared to the UK, there is a general lack of thank-you's, please etc,  so do not get offended if you do not hear these things. Also, we talk to each other harshly and shout (but this is because we believe in surround sound dynamics), take this all with a pinch of salt.

Do not travel at night (by coach), take plane by day as the roads are a mess.

Other than that, if you mingle with different kinds of people, you will be surprised at the joy and depth of human feeling that exists in 9ja despite our own innate predisposition to confusion, malice and skullduggery.

. . . . and you have just given her confident boosting news there right?
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by mimi234: 10:50pm On Dec 13, 2011
justwise:

loooooooooooooooooool
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by tpia5: 12:26am On Dec 14, 2011
Siena:

Tpia, please don't tell me about what family I may or may not have. You know nothing about my family background, who my parents were, or where they were from.

the fact remains its a very incorrect statement to say you have no family in nigeria- either extended or otherwise.

you may not know them, but they're there.

the only way you could have no family in nigeria is if you're not nigerian.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Jenifa1: 4:49am On Dec 14, 2011
tpia@:

the fact remains its a very incorrect statement to say you have no family in nigeria- either extended or otherwise.
you may not know them, but they're there.

true.
I would suggest trying to get contacts of "long lost" family members in naija. most will welcome you with open arms even though they've never seen you before.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by tpia5: 4:55am On Dec 14, 2011
^^he doesnt necessarily have to contact them if he doesnt want to, but it is seriously not possible for a nigerian to have no family at all, in nigeria.

in some instances, a person may admittedly grow up without knowing their relatives, but its very rare and very few exceptions.

also doesnt mean there are no relations- just that they're unknown.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by priest2u(m): 5:29am On Dec 14, 2011
@op can I host you in Abuja? it will be my pleasure to take around the best places in Abuja.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 12:51pm On Dec 14, 2011
priest2u:

@op can I host you in Abuja? it will be my pleasure to take around the best places in Abuja.

Hey, thanks for the offer, please contact me via yemzi@ymail.com.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by justwise(m): 1:06pm On Dec 14, 2011
y3mz1:

Please be very careful who you contact, i know you are old and matured enough to make decisions but if i were you i will think 3x before contacting that individual.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by dalebutt1: 1:13pm On Dec 14, 2011
@JW grin grin grin grin, your mouth will not kill you lol
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 14, 2011
y3mz1:

Yemzi, please tread with caution. Not everyone's who they profess to be[i].[/i]..
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by priest2u(m): 8:43pm On Dec 14, 2011
@op thanks for accepting my offer. smiley
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by zumbigbo(m): 8:59pm On Dec 14, 2011

Apologies, I must have missed the part in her original post about 'her confidence needing boosting'.

What I did get was that she was going to Nigeria for the first time and wanted a holiday, where she could enjoy herself and have memories as opposed to episodes of remorse.

I have travelled to Nigeria with many first-timers and know what bits of information were key to their vacation. Sometimes, quite often, the truth hurts. As opposed to giving her a library of information as knowledge, the myopic prefer to snipe and scratch, crabs in a barrel mentality which is also very prevalent back home.

Fe em Deus

1 Like

Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by justwise(m): 9:04pm On Dec 14, 2011
zumbigbo:

Apologies, I must have missed the part in her original post about 'her confidence needing boosting'.

What I did get was that she was going to Nigeria for the first time and wanted a holiday, where she could enjoy herself and have memories as opposed to episodes of remorse.

I have travelled to Nigeria with many first-timers and know what bits of information were key to their vacation. Sometimes, quite often, the truth hurts. As opposed to giving her a library of information as knowledge, the myopic prefer to snipe and scratch, crabs in a barrel mentality which is also very prevalent back home.

Fe em Deus

You obviously take yourself too seriously. . . which is not prevalent abroad.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by zumbigbo(m): 12:40am On Dec 15, 2011
I tell you what is also prevalent abroad, continuous light!

I think the hum of the generator and intermittent darkness has got you seeing shadows and half-baked arguments.

No vex, just send me Seun's e-mail so I can ask him for you to get extra leave, dis boy work you too hard for one naira per comment business.

Fe em Deus
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by Busybody2(f): 12:59am On Dec 15, 2011
priest2u:

priest2u, please tread with caution. Not everyone's who they profess to be,  cheesy grin

[s]Afterall what is good for the gander is good for the goose too innit tongue tongue[/s]
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by newmusic: 10:02am On Dec 15, 2011
@OP, you need to be careful who drops mail and offer to help you around. It is dangerous.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by y3mz1(f): 4:19pm On Dec 28, 2011
Thank-you to anyone concerned.
I wouldn't meet with complete strangers.
Anybody who offers to show we around I'd get to know online very well first.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by jereal(m): 8:03pm On Dec 28, 2011
wow, 2012, ! a perfect time to visit & tour around 9ja, ! when she's headin 4 a major crackdown, !!!:-O don't mind me, once in awhile, I can be a lil pessimistic,
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by claremont(m): 9:35pm On Dec 28, 2011
This OP makes sense die! grin

I wish I were in Nigeria, I wouldn't have hesitated to be your host in my palatial mansion located somewhere within the cosy confines of highbrow Ajegunle city. Anyone who chooses to vist Nigeria and doesn't go for a grand tour of Ajegunle city has completely missed a unique opportunity to experience first-hand the other side of Nigeria IMHO.
Re: 20yr Old British-nigerian Visiting Naija For The First Time: by chika98: 2:10am On Dec 29, 2011
claremont:

This OP makes sense die! grin

I wish I were in Nigeria, I wouldn't have hesitated to be your host in my palatial mansion located somewhere within the cosy confines of highbrow Ajegunle city. Anyone who chooses to vist Nigeria and doesn't go for a grand tour of Ajegunle city has completely missed a unique opportunity to experience first-hand the other side of Nigeria IMHO.

LOL!@ the sarcasm.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Nice Country Can I Travel To With 1m But I Prefer Canada / JAPA: I Used To Enjoy A Comfortable Life Back Home - Man Laments In UK (video) / Husling At Barbados

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.