Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

LASU Law Rated Best In Africa - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU Law Rated Best In Africa (13756 Views)

UNILORIN Law Faculty Rated Best In Nigeria / Lasu Law Rated Best In Africa,7th In The World / Biggest Blow Hit Lasu As Nuc Disacredit Lasu Law,accounting And 8 Others;lag Asembly Summon Vc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Kobojunkie: 1:04am On Dec 10, 2011
Last I checked, a blog is a not a news outlet! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by luvola(m): 1:05am On Dec 10, 2011
LASU is Africa’s best
By Ngozi Agbo 08/12/2011
00:00:00
Font size:
Despite the fee crisis rocking the
Lagos State University (LASU), its
students are still among the best
in the world. Some of its law
students displayed skill and
dexterity at the Foreign Direct
Investment International
Arbitration Moot Court
Competition. They emerged the
best from Africa.
The competition, organised by
the Centre for International Legal
Studies, was held between
November 4 and 6 at the Kings
College, London. LASU
representatives were Prof
Olusegun Yerokun, Dean; Dr.
Gbadebo Olagunju, lecturer,
Department of International Law
and Jurisprudence. The counsel,
both 500-Level students, were
Chinedu Geoffrey Ihenetu and
Daniel Ogunbote.
Institutions in attendance
included University of Barcelona,
Universite Paris, I Pantheon
Sorbonne, Universidad de
Granada, Uni Curitiba, Suffolk
Silesia, Russian Academy of
Justice, Pepperdine University,
Paris Dauphine, NUJS,
Novosibirsk, Novi Sad,
Northumbria University, New
York University, Mykolas Romeris,
Minas Gerais, Mgimo, Masaryk,
Kyiv University, Kings College,
Kaplan, City University, Hong
Kong, Houston University, Charles
University, Gujarat University,
University of Belgrade,
Georgetown University, Buenos
Aires University, Belarusian
University, Boston University and
Ankara University.
The build-up to the oral finals
included a written submission by
more than 200 universities
across the world. LASU was
among the 36 invited for the
finals. The LASU team competed
against teams from Pepperdine
University (US), Russian Academy
of Justice (Russia), Buenos Aires
University (Argentina) and
Gujarat University (India).
Though the team lost at Round
16, just before the quarter finals,
LASULAWS was crowned “The
Best Team in Africa” and “14th”
in the world. The counsel made
the university, Nigeria and Africa
proud by beating their American,
Asian and European
counterparts. Kings College,
London won the competition.
The founder of the competition,
Prof Martin Hunter, whose book
on International Investment
Arbitration is widely regarded in
Europe as the “Bible” of this
unique area of law, praised the
LASU students.
Remarkably, in the World Student
Arbitrator Rankings, Geoffrey
was listed 41st and Daniel, 78th
out of 107 students.
Geoffrey told CAMPUSLIFE that he
was happy to fly the Nigerian
flag. He called for more funding
of such competitions.
“We are calling on the
government, organisations and
individuals to put more into
competitions like this so as to
help wake law students from
slumber and propel them to legal
research”.
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Kobojunkie: 1:06am On Dec 10, 2011

FDI Moot Teams

Ankara Bar Association-Ankara University  Mosler
Belarusian State University  Visscher
Boston University, School of Law  Hackworth 
Charles University, Faculty of Law  Fleischhauer
City University of Hong Kong, School of Law  Petren
Federal University of Minas Gerais  Zoricic
Georgetown University Law Center Jennings
Gujarat National Law University Castro
Kaplan Law School  El-Erian
King's College London  Mo
Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University Waldock
Lagos State University, Faculty of Law  Khan
Masaryk University, Faculty of Law Guerrero
MGIMO University Onyeama
Mykolas Romeris University  Ago
National University of Juridical Sciences Alfaro 
New York University School of Law Evensen
Novosibirsk State University  Spender
Paris Dauphine University  Lachs
Pepperdine University School of Law  Elias
Russian Academy of Justice  Morelli
Suffolk University Law School Fabela 
Uni Curitiba  Baxter
Universidad de Granada  Dillard
Universite Paris I Pantheon Sorbonne Forster
University of Barcelona (IELPO)  Singh
University of Belgrade, Faculty of Law  Badawi
University of Buenos Aires Jessup
University of Houston Law Center Tarazi
University of Novi Sad, Faculty of Law Rau
University of Silesia  Erskine
University of Warsaw  Gros
University of Wroclaw Alvarez
Xi'an Jiaotong University, School of Law  Bengzon
Yonsei University Koo

So out of a team of 35, LASU came 34th? Not bad! undecided
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Ejine(m): 1:17am On Dec 10, 2011
Your initial claim was that other
news outlets didn't run it and
only BAT's did so something is
fishy?
Exactly still remains the case. Answer me: Have any other news outlets reported the story or are you going to give me another moot scoresheet punctuated with empty, meaningless, childish insults?

Well as we now know, nothing
was fishy, it was all about you
and you inability to google.

Nope. As we've now come to see, thread title itself has been proven to be nothing more than a blatant lie from an overzealous news outlet with questionable motives. Cuz last time we checked, University of Chicago is still World's 14th best and NOT LASU.
Oops. If you hadn't resorted to pointless futile insults, then maybe things wouldn't have turned out this way.

I gotta say a special thank you to Loma for providing that link and effectively shooting down your empty boasts. grin
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by NegroNtns(m): 2:25am On Dec 10, 2011
Of course it goes a very long way to say so. You can't stage a competition from a handful teams and then call the winner the best in the World. You're never to be taken seriously with that.

Ejine, you ever heard of the baseball world series?  A number of teams, all Americans and playing within America but titled world championship.

Anyway, everything is commercialized nowadays, including school rankings.  American or European evaluators are never ever going to put an African school as best in the World, no matter if they outperform Havard and Cambridge ad Oxford and Sorbone all put together.  Moreover, at individual level, I don't know about Europeans but I do kow that Africans are better educated than Americans, merit for merit at least in theoreticals.  If we had the materials and finaces I dont doubt that we will also outperform them in applications.  So when you hear that an African school in iternational competition was defeated to a 14th rank, I'd say subtract 10 from that to compensate for rigging and then within your own conscience be proud that they came 4th.
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Kobojunkie: 2:36am On Dec 10, 2011
^^^ abegi go sleep . . . . imagine the nonsense wey dis one come dey spew now . . . . . jeezzzz . . . undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by luvola(m): 2:44am On Dec 10, 2011
@Ejine : your story would have been d/f if it was a fed univ like unilorin or unilag .i give kudos to them for making it to round 16 out of 200 schools. A new competition will hold again april next year and i belive lasu will still represent nig since they are currently the best law faculty in the country
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Kobojunkie: 2:51am On Dec 10, 2011
^^ Do you have any links showing there were actually 200 schools in the competition? I mean apart from the publication you keep reposting that itself does not seem to be telling what the official site is saying of the competition. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by manny4life(m): 2:57am On Dec 10, 2011
If they said "Best in Africa", I wouldn't even argue it, although I seriously doubt it, but 14th best in the world, that got me cracking up. That means LASU is stand should to shoulder with Harvard, Colombia and Yale, undecided undecided undecided
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by luvola(m): 3:05am On Dec 10, 2011
@ manny - i think d organisers actually mean the lasu team in the competition was rated 14th position since they lost in the round of remaining 16 contestants
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Kobojunkie: 3:06am On Dec 10, 2011
^^^ Where did you get that story from?? This story seems to be growing different legs in just two pages.
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by luvola(m): 3:10am On Dec 10, 2011
@ kobo ' -read carefully what the writer said , ,, - 16, just before the quarter finals,
Asian and European
The founder of the competition,
Prof Martin Hunter, whose book
on International Investment
Arbitration is widely regarded in
Europe as the “Bible” of this
unique area of law, praised the
LASU students.
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by NegroNtns(m): 3:13am On Dec 10, 2011
^^^ abegi go sleep . . . . imagine the nonsense wey dis one come dey spew now . . . . . jeezzzz . . .

kobo, if i catch your a s s in an alley you go holler! grin yeye girl! cool
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by luvola(m): 3:16am On Dec 10, 2011
@ kobo - quote frm thenation news - ''The build-up to the oral finals
Asian and European
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Kobojunkie: 3:17am On Dec 10, 2011
No! I actually meant one that we can verify. The organization's website does not seem to have anything remotely close to what you have there.

I am not a fan of the Nation, or any other Nigerian newspaper, especially when it has to do with News of some foreign event or situation. So, apart from that error riddled article, any other?   undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

luvola:

@ kobo - quote frm thenation news -    ''The build-up to the oral finals
Asian and European

Did other law schools from Africa show up for this competition? If so, which schools? Cause I don't understand how a school can be ranked best in Africa for participating in a moot court competition, which really is not used to judge schools in that manner. Also, How can a school that came 34th be ranked 14th in the world, even if just for this moot court competition(there are several other organizations that put together moot court competitions out there too)?
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by manny4life(m): 3:18am On Dec 10, 2011
luvola:

@ manny - i think d organisers actually mean the lasu team in the competition was rated 14th position since they lost in the round of remaining 16 contestants

If they specified, 14th position per the MOOT Competition, I won't stress my head about it, (not so say I am now), but for it to say 14th best law school in the world is just way off the course. Like seriously, even Georgetown law, doesn't rank 14th best in the U.S., in fact GWU Law doesn't come to the top 10 in the U.S. let alone LASU did not come anywhere close to GWU law yet they are ranked 14th best, hmm so much for biased information.
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by luvola(m): 3:33am On Dec 10, 2011
@ manny - the publisher of the the nation actually base his or her statement on the organiser's statement.the univ rep nig as a whole
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Kobojunkie: 3:52am On Dec 10, 2011
^^ and the story continues to grow even more legs. Where did you get this from? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided LASU represented all of Nigeria? Do you have any non Nation gobble proof of this claim? I mean if you look on that list you will see that there are more than one US schools at least on the same list. How can any of them claim them to rep US
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by manny4life(m): 4:02am On Dec 10, 2011
luvola:

@ manny - the publisher of the the nation actually base his or her statement on the organiser's statement.the univ rep nig as a whole

Oh well, I think that sums it all, The publisher of a newspaper is supposed to perform independent verification though before assuming for the whole nation. Anyway, it is what it is.
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by luvola(m): 4:23am On Dec 10, 2011
@ kobo - i assume lasu rep nig univ since it is the only nig univ participating in the competition , @ manny - the organiser according to the nation news said the lasu team emerged the best in africa since no african university participate in d competition. i believe some schools in africa were part of the 200 participants that started the competition but they couldnt scale through in the group stage
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Kobojunkie: 4:25am On Dec 10, 2011
^^^ are you the writer of that TheNations article undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided I ask cause you seem to believe it even though we are yet to find information to corroborate most of the claims it contains.
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by luvola(m): 4:38am On Dec 10, 2011
i am not the writer.i believe the publisher was making reference to what the organiser of the moot competition assert that based on the outcome of the competition ,lasu team was place the best in africa and ranked 14th in the world
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Kobojunkie: 4:40am On Dec 10, 2011
Where did the organizer of the  moot make this assertion? Where did you find the organizer making this assertion? I mean even the TheNation article does not quote any of the organizer's nor does it mention that it got any news from anyone in authority. Geoffrey who is quoted there happens to be one of the students, so where do you get your info from please?
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by luvola(m): 4:51am On Dec 10, 2011
@ kobo - i think u should read the article again and see for your self where the organiser ranked lasu team as the best in africa. u are really stressing me here. why do u peeps hate hearing the word LASU
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by sheyguy: 4:57am On Dec 10, 2011
As 4 d effectiveness of the selection process i wouldn't comment on that just yet.
The same Lasu law dept. Claiming the best in Africa was heavily involved in collection of N30k bribe in the admission into thdt dept. In the just concluded admission excercise.
Lagos state indegenes (both real and fake) with post ume score as low as 29 were taken in place of my non-indegene sister who scored 67, now can any1 tell me how such a dept.
Can be best in the continent of Africa?
LASU is a joke ! ! !.
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Ejine(m): 7:55am On Dec 10, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Ejine, you ever heard of the baseball world series?  A number of teams, all Americans and playing within America but titled world championship.

Anyway, everything is commercialized nowadays, including school rankings.  American or European evaluators are never ever going to put an African school as best in the World, no matter if they outperform Havard and Cambridge ad Oxford and Sorbone all put together.  Moreover, at individual level, I don't know about Europeans but I do kow that Africans are better educated than Americans, merit for merit at least in theoreticals.  If we had the materials and finaces I dont doubt that we will also outperform them in applications.  So[b] when you hear that an African school in iternational competition was defeated to a 14th rank, I'd say subtract 10 from that to compensate for rigging and then within your own conscience be proud that they came 4th[/b]. 

LMAOOOOO! grin Okay sir!

Meanwhile guys, this is a similar thread opened by Luvola the day before. This time, he claimed LASU was best in Africa, 7th best in the World grin

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-820664.0.html
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by luvola(m): 8:47am On Dec 10, 2011
@ ejine - i later said it was a mistake. the article did not say lasu is 7th best sch in the what i said was that lasu was rank the best team in africa which was based on the sch performance in the competition because they lost in the round of 16. at least we should appreciate these guys because they indirectly represent nig. gbam
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 10, 2011
now if it was one of those eastern state schools that churn out rap-ists and armed robbers that made it to the finals these ndigbo supermen would be up in our faces with all their even though the nasty non igbos try to hold us down bs
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by kasiem(m): 2:16pm On Dec 10, 2011
oyb:

now if it was one of those eastern state schools that churn out rap-ists and armed robbers that made it to the finals these ndigbo supermen would be up in our faces with all their even though the nasty non igbos try to hold us down bs

why calling igbos in this matter? Has any igbo guy commented on this matter? Must u always show how useless u are?
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by Sagamite(m): 2:38pm On Dec 10, 2011
This luvola is obviously a bloody illiterate.

Since when did being rated 14th best in a competition mean being best in Africa or being 14th best in the world.

Unbelievably low level of ratiocination.
Re: LASU Law Rated Best In Africa by otokx(m): 2:47pm On Dec 10, 2011
knew it was a lie

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Does An Adult Take WAEC? / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition: The Waiting Is Over / NECO Releases 2022 SSCE Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.