Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,319 members, 7,815,612 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. (40586 Views)

First Building On Eko Atlantic City Ready In 24 Months / Jonathan Commends Lagos For Eko Atlantic City's Successful Completion / Will Eko Atlantic City Be The Most Beautiful City In Africa After Completion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by aljharem(m): 10:36pm On May 01, 2012
Afren Energy Headquarters to serve Nigeria design

the design of the two building cool

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by jason123: 1:05am On May 08, 2012
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by jason123: 1:13am On May 08, 2012
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by jason123: 1:15am On May 08, 2012
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by jason123: 1:19am On May 08, 2012
The Guardian
March 31, 2012
The Managing Director Interview with Punch Newspaper

The Managing Director, South Energyx, promoters of the Eko Atlantic City Project, Mr. David Frame, says investor confidence is gradually returning to Nigeria, as he shares his dreams on the 21st Century city, which is bound to change the socio-economic landscape of the state as a whole. He spoke to Adeola Balogun
Dated March 31st, 2012

Having been in Nigeria for a long time, would you say the Nigerian environment is attractive to foreign investors?

It is well known worldwide that there has been a financial crisis and many governments are cutting back on expenditure. Indeed, many projects around the world have been stalled. Financial institutions still have plans to find potential investment opportunities, which are few and far between in Europe, America and even the Far East at this current time. So, as a potential for investment, Africa as a continent, is very much in focus right now. The Gross Domestic Product of Nigeria in the next five years and beyond is in positive territory; between seven and eight percent, whereas America, the United Kingdom and Europe are in negative territory, like one per cent growth. So, equity investors, who are looking for potential for growth, are looking closely at Africa, and Nigeria is the golden bowl. With democracy thriving in Nigeria, investors see the country as a safe haven for investment and this has been shown in many discussions I have had with people in the real estate and financial sector.

What of insecurity problem?
I have been living in Nigeria for 30 years. When I first arrived in Lagos, I checked to find out what the situation was, against the background of seeing the West African region as a security risk. But what I found out did not back that up. And I tell this to a lot of people I meet in Europe. I tell them,'Come to Lagos in particular.'The general level of security in Lagos has improved significantly in the past six years and incidences of armed robbery in banks have reduced. That, for me, is an indication of the level of improvement of security generally, and this is something we should be proud of. I attended a conference two weeks ago in France, in attendance were 50 equity investing agents; people who work for clients that want to pursue potential investment opportunities. They were all very excited about Lagos and our project. What was quite interesting was the extent to which our project is known internationally; most operatives in the financial sector are following the project closely. That is a positive element for the development of Lagos, establishing Lagos further as the financial capital of the continent of Africa. So, there is a lot of enthusiasm for what is happening in Lagos, and in addition to that, I discovered that more and more expatriate Nigerians are now coming back. That, to me, is an indication of renewed confidence in Nigeria.

How would project, like Eko Atlantic City that you are managing, fare in the face of power failure in Nigeria?
The concept is that we will have an independent power facility tied with the provision of gas and we are talking to the authorities on a regular basis. What we do know is that with the existing gas availability, we are able to provide sufficient gas for the early stages of the project. But there are future plans to extend the pipelines, which are supplying the gas from the Delta and what we understand is that there will be more sufficient gas supply to meet the demand of the whole Eko Atlantic.

Is it not possible to try hydro-electrical system?
We are looking at alternative power supply but I think it is fairly true to say that these technologies are at the early stages of development. We know that there is potential to annex power from the ocean but we have to look at it from the commercial point of view. We know that we can generate power from the ocean using turbine but it would never be in a situation as the technology available at the moment to provide all our power needs, though it can be considered as a supplementary means of power supply.

How did you come about the idea of Eko Atlantic project?
When the project started, it was really a response to a request from the then Lagos State Governor, Mr. Bola Tinubu, at the time. He was concerned that there was a rapid erosion of the Bar beach, and we made an effort to replenish the beach. However, we were not keeping up with the pace of erosion, it was sweeping closer and closer. And over the decades, the ocean had reached the border of Ahmadu Bello Way that had partially collapsed into the sea. This was obviously a severe threat to the very existence of Victoria Island.

The governor was concerned that he wanted to find a permanent solution to the erosion of the Bar Beach and the threat to Victoria Island. It was in 2003 that he approached us, asking us to study the problem and come forward with some solutions. During the course of the study, we discovered a number of things; one of which was that the highest elevation in Victoria Island was actually on Ahmadu Bello Way, and Akin Adesola. Had the sea been allowed to completely remove Ahmadu Bello Way, the whole of Victoria Island would have been in danger. In December of 2005, the initial stages of a permanent solution were initiated and the shoreline protection, as you see today, was constructed in 2006 through 2008.

But in further developing the idea, we also discovered that the original coastline of Bar Beach was actually two-and-a-half kilometers further out to the sea, and the consultant told us that if we were to construct the wall on the original coastline, it would go a long way to mitigate the course of the erosion. Then, the whole concept fell into place; we'd put the sea wall on the original coastline as much as we can determine. We would then fill up all that area that was lost to erosion and because it was on the edge of the existing commercial area of Victoria Island. It naturally because a viable extension of the reclaimed land, which subsequently opened up the prospect of building a new 21st Century city.

What would be the effect of the sand filling you are talking about in the area?
It is there to protect not just the land that is being reclaimed; it also protects Victoria Island. And as the consultant told us, by following the existing coastline of 105 years ago, the effect of the ocean current, which has been causing the erosion, would be mitigated to a great extent. Ahmadu Bello Way has remained intact since the construction of the shoreline protection in 2006.

What is the model of the 21st Century city called Eko Atlantic you intend to put up here?
We have a master plan as you can see here; obviously we are improving on that. That is the master plan of the city. That is a fair indication of what the city life would be. It is designed by consultants of international repute; these are consultants that have been involved in similar projects in the Middle East, Quarter and Australia. We are building a city of International standard and it would stand a test of time.

What is the timeline as regards the sand filling (and the construction proper) of the place?
The programme is to complete the sand-filling exercise and the construction of the sea wall by the end of the year 2015. Infrastructure, like roads, electricity and sewage system will be completed in 18 months after that; that is 2017. The development of the buildings is for individual investors. We are not building the structures; our own is just to provide the infrastructure, like the utility system that would all be underground. We have a detailed planning regulation booklet, which we'll give the investors as a guideline on what they can build; how much of the plot they can use for a structure; how far the setback from the main roads would be; and how many parking spaces they need to provide for their cars. This is a big issue; anybody who has lived in Lagos will understand what we are talking about. So, it is the requirement of any developer to provide sufficient parking facility within the plots. There will be no parking allowed on the street.

1 Like

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by jason123: 1:27am On May 08, 2012
Fashola's visit to Eko atlantic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwxbsz6Sgzg
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by jason123: 1:34am On May 08, 2012
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 05, 2013
I hope our leaders we all come to there sences and work together for the people.Here in europe when u go to any office for help and u mention u are nigeria, first thimg they will tell u os that ur country is rich. You people are the cause of ur problem.
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by ZN2: 8:52pm On Jun 13, 2013
Quite a Laudable Project.

1 Like

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by ikweremilitant: 10:13pm On Jun 13, 2013
chino11: With all the army of yorooba almajiris and areas boys brandishing their guns in the whole of lagos and SW this is what is important and a priority for the non-focused governor of a non-focused 'owambee' people. Well the project is a newspaper project built in the paper and commission on the pages of newspaper. Yoroobas una no dey tire with una madness.
gbamm good question
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by madamoringo(f): 12:19am On Jun 14, 2013
Hmmm... ibos with their landlocked small land 100's of KM away from Lagos are still the ones crying about a project and location in the prosperous, enlarged lands of the Yorubas! Well, hate it all you can, it's so nice seeing you folks writhe in pain and jealousy! SW will make you pay even more taxes for the more development, the more taxes! If you don't like it, kidnapper, ritualist infested alaibo is waiting for you!

2 Likes

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by 99cent: 1:16am On Jun 14, 2013
madam_oringo: Hmmm... ibos with their landlocked small land 100's of KM away from Lagos are still the ones crying about a project and location in the prosperous, enlarged lands of the Yorubas! Well, hate it all you can, it's so nice seeing you folks writhe in pain and jealousy! SW will make you pay even more taxes for the more development, the more taxes! If you don't like it, kidnapper, ritualist infested alaibo is waiting for you!

lol. at the end of the day when the atlantic city is complete, thosands of them will flock to live/work there and then start claiming that they built it. they built lagos they built atlantic city blah blah. parasites
let them hate. it's not their fault. i mean, what else do they know how to do? grin

is it not one of their SE governors that is using public money to build a private mega mall in Abuja (of all places)? while their region is mired with poverty and criminality.
at least fashola is building the atlantic city in lagos for lagosians. the project looks like it's poised to become the Hong Kong of Africa. and soon, once it becomes successful, the same fools will claim that it is no-man's land. hahahahah
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by Nobody: 1:19am On Jun 14, 2013
Lmao @ 99cent.

Gatts 99 problems but ________ ain't one.

Fill in the gap. wink
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by IGBOSON1: 2:14am On Jun 14, 2013
expert555: @Igbo 2011

I don’t know whether you live in this planet which tourist is coming to Lagos - Nigeria with no roads, no electricity, 419's, arm robber and kidnappers having taken-over the country. If they make you the minister of tourism will you encourage tourist to come to Nigeria? Who is going to guarantee their safety? It will be good if most of you live outside Nigeria for a while you will know what people in Europe and other countries think about you. Be real. We your own people is scared to come to Nigeria for a visit you want foreigners to come on holiday, you are mad what have you got to offer. Lootering and suffering?

^^^Well i suppose we could make the most of our present travails couldn't we? I would imagine the Nigerian tourist brochure would read something like this: HAVE YOU GOT A DEATH WISH?.....DO YOU LIKE LIVING LIFE ON THE EDGE?.....THEN COME TO NIGERIA FOR THAT UNIQUE TAILOR-MADE KIDNAPPING EXPERIENCE! MONEY BACK GUARANTEED IF YOU LOSE YOUR HEAD IN THE PROCESS!

1 Like

Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by koruji(m): 3:39am On Jun 14, 2013
Bad belleism is worrying you.
You think roads are going to be constructed with your words?
No, it takes money - and it is these private businesses that will pay the taxes that will allow the kind of public projects you will like to see to be implemented.

No wonder Fashola said people are hard to please - build bridge for them, ask them to pay a toll, they refuse. Get private businesses to put up investments that will generate revenue to build more roads and bridges, they condemn.

Go back to ya village where you can drink, eat and travel on hot air !!!

dplordx: with the whole of alimosho in pitch darkness, and the roads cluttered with potholes and so much insecurity, this is exactly what we need.
you eko_ile are nuts like your fraud of a governor. this a$$hole called fashola rigged street lights from oshodi down to ikeja, and stopped at ikeja.
he has clearly abandoned the same f00ls who voted him into power the 1st and 2nd time. and now hes doing a skycrapper.
im certain these animal called fash wont be winning a 3rd term if the constitution allows one
Re: First Eko Atlantic City Skyscraper Is Under Construction. Eko Pearl. Model Pic. by mapet: 9:04am On Jun 14, 2013
chino11: @Pukkah, ...........I have done a study...................
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin when I got here I couldn't help but laugh. @chino done a study.... ''butter is not food for monkeys'' grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Allison Madueke Released On Bail In London (Video With Bodyguards) / Wike Says He Is Niger Delta President, Calls Buhari Fellow President- APC Rivers / CAN's Rejection Of Muslim-muslim Ticket Godly - Yakubu Dogara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.