Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,949 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court (2178 Views)

Wike Swears In Daisy Wotube-okocha As Chief-judge Of Rivers (photos) / Breaking News: Biafra IPOB Drags Buhari/nigeria To International Criminal Court / Is Kashim Zanna, The Chief Judge Of Borno State The Tallest Judge In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Bintus2much(m): 9:16am On Dec 18, 2011
Nigerian elected judge of International Criminal Court

A Nigerian, Chile Eboe-Osuji has been elected as one of the six judges of the International Criminal Court (ICC), reports the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in New York.

Eboe-Osuji and Morrison Howard of the U.K. were elected at the final rounds of the election held on Friday, during the 10th session of the Assembly of States Parties of the ICC at the UN Headquarters in New York.

The election of the judges began on Monday with the election of the first four, among them, two women, at the end of the 12th round of the elections earlier on Friday.

Eboe-Osuji recorded 102 votes, while Howard recorded 72 votes out of the 117 votes to meet the two-third required majority of votes before a candidate could be adjudged elected as a judge of the court.

Eighteen candidates contested the six positions. The first round of the elections produced two judges, while at the second round, only one judge was elected.

Other rounds, from three to eleven, did not produce any judge, until the 12th round when another judge emerged. Eboe-Osuji and Howard were elected in the last rounds.

The six judges are Carmona Aquinas - Trinidad and Tobago; Defensor-Santiago Miriam- Philippines; Fremr Robert - Czech Republic; Herrera Venecia - Dominican Republic; Morrison Howard - United Kingdom and Eboe-Osuji Chile - Nigeria.

Aquinas recorded 72 votes, Miriam; 79 votes, Robert; 77 votes, Venecia; 77 votes, Howard; 72 votes and Eboe-Osuji; 102 votes.

Speaking to NAN shortly after his election, elated Eboe-Osuji said: `` I am happy that Nigeria won a position in the ICC.

He, however, expressed appreciation to the Nigeria Mission in New York for the support given to his candidature.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5749595-146/nigerian_elected_judge_of_international_criminal.csp
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Afam4eva(m): 9:19am On Dec 18, 2011
Congrats to the Ikwerre-Igbo-Nigerian-African-Human guy.
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by oge4real(f): 11:13am On Dec 18, 2011
^^^^So, for your left mind now, you have evaded being tribalistic abi?
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Yeske2(m): 3:41pm On Dec 18, 2011
I love it when Nigerians fly our flag high, cool one
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Nobody: 4:50pm On Dec 18, 2011
afam4eva:

we will soon see hausa igbo, very soon.
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Nobody: 7:33pm On Dec 18, 2011
Yeske!:

u like it when biafrans fly high.
I just hope this guy does not indulge in bribery. nigerians are well know for that.
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Nobody: 7:36pm On Dec 18, 2011
Yeske!:

u like it when biafrans fly high.
I just hope this guy does not indulge in bribery. nigerians are well know for that.
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Nchara: 12:12am On Dec 19, 2011
afam4eva:

He is from Imo State

BIOGRAPHY*

From*http://eboe-osuji.com/shortbio.htm

A Very Short Biography

PLACE OF BIRTH:*Añara, Imo, Nigeria.

PROFESSION:*Barrister, since 1986.

FAMILY STATUS:*Married, with three children.

CALLS TO BAR:*(1) Nigeria; (2) Ontario, Canada; and, (3) British Columbia, Canada.*

ACADEMIC LEGAL EDUCATION:*(1) Doctor of Laws (PhD) [in international criminal law], University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, the Netherlands; (2) Master of Laws (LLM), McGill University, Montréal, Canada; (3) Canadian Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Equivalency Studies, McGill University (for Certificate of Qualification of the Canadian Federation of Law Societies); (4) Bachelor of Laws (LLB), University of Calabar, Nigeria.

PROFESSIONAL LEGAL EDUCATION:*(1) Barrister-at-Law Degree, Law Society of British Columbia (Canada); (2) Barrister-at-Law Degree, Law Society of Upper Canada;*(3) Barrister-at-Law Degree, Council of Legal Education of Nigeria.

SUMMARY OF EMPLOYMENT HISTORY:*(1)*CURRENTLY:*(i) The Legal Advisor to the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights; (ii) Principal Appeals Counsel for the Prosecution in the Case of Charles Taylor (former President of Liberia), Office of the Prosecutor, Special Court for Sierra Leone. (2)*FORMERLYi) Head of Chambers (i.e. the principal judicial legal officer), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR);*(ii) Senior Appeals Counsel, Special Court for Sierra Leone; (iii) Counsel, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Ottawa, Canada; (iv) Senior Legal Officer in Chambers, ICTR; (v) Senior Trial Counsel for the Prosecution, ICTR; (vi) Prosecution Counsel, ICTR; (vii) Litigation Partner, Eboe-Osuji & Adetunji, Toronto, Canada; (viii) Litigation Counsel, Robinson Hinkson, Toronto, Canada; (ix) Litigation Associate, Russell & DuMoulin, Vancouver, Canada;*(x) Litigation Associate, Ugochuku & Co, Port Harcourt, Nigeria.

ACADEMIC EMPLOYMENT:*Former lecturer in international criminal law, Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa, Canada.*

SUMMARY OF LEGAL SCHOLARSHIP:*C Eboe-Osuji (ed),*Protecting Humanity*[Leyden, Martinus Nijhoff: 2010]; C Eboe-Osuji,*Modern International Law and Sexual Violence in International Armed Conflicts[Leyden, Martinus Nijhoff: forthcoming 2011]; numerous articles and book chapters and guest lectures.

Read full article
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by AndreUweh(m): 12:28am On Dec 19, 2011
Congrats Mr Osuji.
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Onlytruth(m): 5:50am On Dec 19, 2011
Congrats to a great Nigerian and a son of Igboland.

Don't know, but maybe this guy can help Nigerians file cases of war crimes against some Nigerian war criminals who commit gross human rights violations and extra-judicial killings.

It is time Nigerians start dragging these men to that court.
Maybe this guy can help.
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Nchara: 5:57am On Dec 19, 2011
Onlytruth:

Don't know, but maybe this guy can help Nigerians file cases of war crimes against some Nigerian war criminals who commit gross human rights violations and extra-judicial killings.

Maybe this guy can help.

If he is ''biafran'' enough.lol. He may have forgiven Adekunle and the other murderers. He is from Imo as the MASSOB leader Uwazuruike, so may be that one can influence him.
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Onlytruth(m): 6:33am On Dec 19, 2011
Nchara:

If he is ''biafran'' enough.lol. He may have forgiven Adekunle and the other murderers. He is from Imo as the MASSOB leader Uwazuruike, so may be that one can influence him.

I always believe that as long as this world keeps changing, anything is possible. I don't hold much hope for trial of some civil war actors (it may happen though cool), but I am more interested in making sure that more recent and current civil rights criminals in Nigeria, those responsible for extra-judicial killings in Nigeria, are brought to justice.
It is very important that we stop the culture of impunity and "God" syndrome in Nigerian leaders.

I would never be happy until some Nigerians are dragged to that court. If that court is honest enough, it must host some Nigerian war criminals very soon. cool
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by dayokanu(m): 5:03pm On Dec 19, 2011
Onlytruth:

Maybe this guy can help.

Maybe he would exhume the body of Ojuku to be tried for war crimes and general brainlessness of leading people to a war armed with Catapult and stones
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Onlytruth(m): 12:47am On Dec 20, 2011
dayokanu:

Maybe he would exhume the body of Ojuku to be tried for war crimes and general brainlessness of leading people to a war armed with Catapult and stones

My friend your uncle (Adekunle) is still alive and may well be dragged to that court. His genocidal exploits are well documented.
The onus is on his victims in SE/SS to drag is old dark @ss there. Pray they don't do that.

For me, I am more interested in seeing recent and current war criminals, genociders and extra-judicial killers in Nigeria today dragged there. All these so called civil society groups in Nigeria are so dumb that I wonder whether any of their leaders ever saw the four corners of any university. It only takes dragging one or two of such people to that court for Nigerians to earn the right to gather and march like in Arab countries. Nigerians will NEVER be free to gather and march anywhere in Nigeria, until some Nigerian men in authority are sent to ICC. Mark my words.  cool
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by dayokanu(m): 12:56am On Dec 20, 2011
Onlytruth:

My friend your uncle (Adekunle) is still alive and may well be dragged to that court. His genocidal exploits are well documented.
The onus is on his victims in SE/SS to drag is old dark @ss there. Pray they don't do that.

For them to take Adekunle there, they would need to first wexhume the rotten carcass of Ojuku there and try him for leading a senseless war thereby causing the death of many.

If found guilty maybe a Sulphuric acid bath would take care of the rest.

You know Felas deaddi body get accident Yeepa?
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by philip0906(m): 1:03am On Dec 20, 2011
dayokanu:

For them to take Adekunle there, they would need to first wexhume the rotten carcass of Ojuku there and try him for leading a senseless war thereby causing the death of many.

If found guilty maybe a Sulphuric acid bath would take care of the rest.

You know Felas deaddi body get accident Yeepa?
Ojukwu died a brave man and so would be granted amnesty grin grin unlike awolowo and m.k.o who died as cowards with poo in their pants and brought d yurumba race 2 a state of comatose
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by dayokanu(m): 1:07am On Dec 20, 2011
philip0906:

Ojukwu died a brave man and so would be granted amnesty grin grin unlike awolowo and m.k.o who died as cowards with poo in their pants and brought d yurumba race 2 a state of comatose

We all know the one who ran from the warfront to Abidjan and let his people to be killed like roaches

How much cowardly can a man get?

Its like a father on seeing robbers scales the fence and run leaving his wife and children to be molested by Robbers

What a Kunt
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by dayokanu(m): 1:09am On Dec 20, 2011
read what Effiong a real leader had to say about Ojuku

When Biafra's military resistance collapsed, [size=28pt]Ojukwu fled to Côte d'Ivoire[/size].

Efiong assumed leadership in this situation of turmoil, starvation, and collapse. He became Head of State of Biafra on 8 January 1970 and on 12 January announced surrender.[1]

At the time of the surrender, Efiong believed that the situation was hopeless and that prolonging the conflict would have led only to the further destruction and starvation of the people of Biafra. At that time Effiong said, "I am convinced now that a stop must be put to the bloodshed which is going on as a result of the war. I am also convinced that the suffering of our people must be brought to an immediate end."[1]

Nnaemeka L. Aneke wrote, "General Efiong’s handling of Biafra’s surrender is one of the most tactical and devoted maneuvers ever seen on the Nigerian scene. Those who do not appreciate the depth of it may not have appreciated what was at stake as Biafra capitulated."[2] Many observers had expected wholesale retribution at war's end.
[edit]

Later life

In a 1996 interview, Efiong reflected on those events:

I have no regrets whatsoever of my involvement in Biafra or the role I played. The war deprived me of my property, dignity, my name. Yet, I saved so many souls on both sides and by this, I mean Biafra and Nigeria. . . .

I felt that I played a role which has kept this country united till today. . . .

At the end of it all when I saw they (Biafran soldiers) could no longer continue and [size=28pt]Ojukwu had fled[/size], I did what was ideal after wide consultation . . . [2]

Efiong died 6 November 2003, at the age of 78 less than two weeks before his 79th birthday.

The b1nch fled the war front and left the populace to die

What a shame to war generals.

God bless Effiong a true general who waited not the biatch who fled
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by philip0906(m): 1:14am On Dec 20, 2011
dayokanu:

We all know the one who ran from the warfront to Abidjan and let his people to be killed like roaches

Its like a father on seeing robbers scales the fence and run leaving his wife and children to be molested by Robbers

What a Kunt
I am not going in2 d technicalities(whatever dat means  grin) of d war,I am only letting u know one SIMPLE TRUTH,Ojukwu died a brave man(if u doubt,go figure) unlike Awolowo and M.k.O who died with poo in their afonja pants. . .  grin grin
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Onlytruth(m): 1:15am On Dec 20, 2011
dayokanu:

What a Kunt

Dayo, you are not an intelligent person at all. Why are you this daft?  

Assuming for a moment that you have a devilish hate for Ojukwu and Biafra, what about other Nigerians who are dying daily from extra-judicial killings, and their killers are continuing in their trade, denying Nigerians of the right to gather and protest? Do you ever think of them at all?

I am resolutely taking this argument far above your level (morbid fixation with Ojukwu).  cool

The ICC has MANY potential culprits in Nigeria, and I won't let one individual stop me.
If I can't get Adekunle, there are others and I am focusing on them.

Grow a brain for once in your miserable life.  cool
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by dayokanu(m): 1:19am On Dec 20, 2011
Onlytruth:

Dayo, you are not an intelligent person at all. Why are you this daft?

Assuming for a moment that you have a devilish hate for Ojukwu and Biafra, what about other Nigerians who are dying daily from extra-judicial killings, and their killers are continuing in their trade, denying Nigerians of the right to gather and protest? Do you ever think of them at all?

I am resolutely taking this argument far above your level (morbid fixation with Ojukwu). cool

The ICC has MANY potential culprits in Nigeria, and I won't let one individual stop me.
If I can't get Adekunle, there are others and I am focusing on them.

Grow a brain for once in your miserable life. cool

Go get other people but just include the worst of the worst Dim Ojuku who led his people to war armed with Catapult and stones?

Did he think this was Chaka the Zulu era?

I cant help you if you decide to be a m0ron. Best advice is to flee to Abidjan like Ojuku
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by philip0906(m): 1:23am On Dec 20, 2011
dayokanu:

Go get other people but just include the worst of the worst Dim Ojuku who led his people to war armed with Catapult and stones?

I cant help you if you decide to be a m0ron. Best advice is to flee to Abidjan like Ojuku
Atleast d people he abandoned r not complaining. . .but i c dat ur idol M.K.O left a legacy behind 4 d yurumba race-Criminality which d likes of Tinubu r perfecting,although his son was more stup.id than his father as he could not perfect d act grin grin grin
[size=28pt]Court remands MKO's son in EFCC custody for stealing [/size]
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5721039-146/story.csp
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by dayokanu(m): 1:24am On Dec 20, 2011
philip0906:

I am not going in2 d technicalities(whatever dat means  grin) of d war,I am only letting u know one SIMPLE TRUTH,Ojukwu died a brave man(if u doubt,go figure) unlike Awolowo and M.k.O who died with poo in their afonja pants. . .  grin grin

How can a man who live a cowardly life die a brave man?

A coward who ran to Abidjan and left his people to die? he only heard the sound of Adekunle guns he fled like a binch

The real general Effiong waited and would not leave his people like the bearded fool Ojuku
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by dayokanu(m): 1:26am On Dec 20, 2011
philip0906:

Atleast d people he abandoned r not complaining. . .but i c dat your idol M.K.O left a legacy behind 4 d yurumba race-Criminality which d likes of Tinubu r perfecting,although his son was more stup.id than his father as he could not perfect d act grin grin grin
[size=28pt]Court remands MKO's son in EFCC custody for stealing [/size]
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5721039-146/story.csp

Sources reveal that Bianca the wife of Biafran Warlord, Odumegwu Ojukwu is currently in a sizzling romance with Uju Robert Okonkwo.

According to source, the two have been in the guarded relationship for some time now, but only few people close to Bianca were aware of the relationship.

Source reveals that in short while they kick started their relationship, Uju Robert Okonkwo has moved into her husband's home in Enugu.

Further findings reveals that Mr.Okonkwo is a Commissioner in Governor Obi's government and Bianca reportedly nominated him for the job.

We shall keep you posted as events unfold.

The wife Ojuku left behind has become the national bicycle that everyone is nyanshing even Ojukus brother and son are now alternating her between themselves

Brother on Monday, Son on Tuesday,

Na wa for Biancar the National carrier.
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by philip0906(m): 1:38am On Dec 20, 2011
dayokanu:

The wife Ojuku left behind has become the national bicycle that everyone is nyanshing even Ojukus brother and son are now alternating her between themselves

Brother on Monday, Son on Tuesday,

Na wa for Biancar the National carrier.
Even if they r nyanshing her ontop tree,its her pu$$ie and does not mean anythingy 2 anyone.We are talking of confirmed facts and not bedroom gimmicks. . . grin grin
i learnt ur idol died after taking a cup of tea.Y culdn't d long throat take it easy?he was probably rushing d tea 2 ask 4 more grin grin poison?nope if he had brains,he woulda known dat his life was at stake and so should have been careful.But long throat wouldn't allow my guy.He died and went 2 hell because of a cup of tea grin grin Even Abacha go wipe am slap.I would rather die on a bi@tch's lap dan a cup of hot coffee grin grin grin
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by Onlytruth(m): 1:41am On Dec 20, 2011
dayokanu:

Go get other people but just include the worst of the worst Dim Ojuku [/b]who led his people to war armed with Catapult and stones?

Obviously, you are a pure m0r0n who cannot think.
Why am I even responding to this m0ron?
Steps over the piece of crap.  cool

@Nigerians, we will never be able to march in Nigeria or conduct "Occupy" anything in Nigeria, until we drag mass murderers to ICC.

[size=16pt][b]ALL Nigerian civil society groups take note!
[/size]
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by dayokanu(m): 1:41am On Dec 20, 2011
philip0906:

Even if they r nyanshing her ontop tree,its her pu$$ie and does not mean anythingy 2 anyone.We are talking of confirmed facts and not bedroom gimmicks. . .

How can Ojuku brother and son be nyanshing biancar while Dim was a vegetable in a London hospital?

Is that kind of thing not an abomination in Igbo land?
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by dayokanu(m): 1:44am On Dec 20, 2011
Onlytruth:

Obviously, you are a pure m0r0n who cannot think.
Why am I even responding to this m0ron?
Steps over the piece of crap. cool

@Nigerians, we will never be able to march in Nigeria or conduct "Occupy" anything in Nigeria, until we drag mass murderers to ICC.

[size=16pt]ALL Nigerian civil society groups take note! [/size]

Its obvious that in the comity of insane people, you should be made their life president. What an oaf. ranting all over like a lobotomised ape

Retarddded would be a compliment to your current state. Anuofia.
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by philip0906(m): 1:45am On Dec 20, 2011
dayokanu:

How can Ojuku brother and son be nyanshing biancar while Dim was a vegetable in a London hospital?

Is that kind of thing not an abomination in Igbo land?
Yep its her pu$$ie. . .
i learnt your idol died after taking a cup of tea.Y culdn't d long throat take it easy?he was probably rushing d tea 2 ask 4 more  grin grin poison?nope if he had brains,he woulda known dat his life was at stake and so should have been careful.But long throat wouldn't allow my guy.He died and went 2 hell because of a cup of tea  grin grin Even Abacha go wipe am slap.I would rather die on a bi@tch's lap dan a cup of hot coffee   grin grin grin
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by dayokanu(m): 1:49am On Dec 20, 2011
You mean the Ojuku that commited suicide after being infected with HIV from the village bicycle Biancar?

Ojuku what a wasted life.

In his prime he was bullied by Adekunle that he had to leave his father house and run to Abidjan

In his old age bullied by his brother who collected his wife.

On his sick bed even Jonathan and his son dey alternate i mean do tag team on top his wife

What a useless existence ojuku must have had
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by philip0906(m): 1:51am On Dec 20, 2011
Late MKO Abiola’s Wife Was An Accomplice To The Akure Monarch.
Remi is one of the less popular wives of the late symbol of democracy, MKO Abiola who went on to meet Oba Oluwadare Adeshina, the Deji of Akure and [size=18pt]then moved into his palace to become Olori[/size].
grin grin
Re: A Nigerian Elected Judge Of International Criminal Court by philip0906(m): 1:56am On Dec 20, 2011
hehehehe. . .Ojukwu had all d fun he wanted but I bet abiola never had any as he was impotent dats y his wife wished him death in order 2 move in to become Olori of d Deji of Akure grin grin
M.K.O died of cowardice-fact
M.K.O died of gluttony-fact
M.K.O died with wee wee in his afonja pants-fact
M.K.O died an impotent-fact

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News :inec Finally Registers Apc / Is Buhari Qualified To Be Your Children’s Teacher ? / Card Reader ; The Question JEGA Refused To Answer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.