Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,251 members, 7,818,871 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? (1456 Views)

Should I Still Go Ahead And Marry Him? / Guys, Will You Still Continue The Marriage After You Discover She Did This? / My Fiancee Forget Things Easily, Should I Go On With The Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Princek12(m): 8:18am On Dec 19, 2011
In light of the drama connected with Kobe Bryant's wife filing for divorce, I decided to ask Nairaland women whether they would still go ahead and marry their boyfriends if he requested that they sign a prenuptial agreement before marriage. Except you are living under a rock, we all know that Kobe Bryant's filed for divorce and that Kobe did not have her sign a prenuptial agreement.

Now, reportedly worth around $360 million dollars, Kobe Bryant, under California law, stands to loose one half of his net worth to a woman who did nothing other than look pretty and have his kids. I am not reckoning that she deserves nothing, but that rich and successful men need to protect their assets from predators who are thirsty and marry rich men ONLY for the purpose of collecting one half of these men's assets upon divorce.

Now, my wonderful ladies of Nairaland, if your honey tells you that he will not marry you unless you agree to a prenuptial agreement, wetin una go do ooooooooooooo?
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by pendo89(f): 8:33am On Dec 19, 2011
I had my first thread as a newbie on this topic and I was a very lonely female on that thread grin
I hope they contribute this time.
Am pro-penup,have always been and will always be. For reasons best known to myself.
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Princek12(m): 8:36am On Dec 19, 2011
pendo89:

I had my first thread as a newbie on this topic and I was a very lonely female on that thread grin
I hope they contribute this time.
Am pro-penup,have always been and will always be. For reasons best known to myself.

hopefully
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by MrsChima1(f): 8:36am On Dec 19, 2011
If the prenup is fair and sensible for both parties then I don't see an issue.  Just know by law a person can contest the prenup as unfair and unjust so many people doesn't know that prenup agreements aren't always withstanding.  

Ladies, prenup agreements in some cases can protect you and if you have a good lawyer the prenup agreement can be written so that both parties are given fair share of everything earned after the marriage because who knows what can happen.  You may end up being the bread winner and without a prenup, your assets are divided or dissolved.  

So if a man feels comfortable enough to ask you for a prenup then he doesn't trust you.
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Flashaldrin(m): 8:42am On Dec 19, 2011
you guys are making marriage sound like a business sad sad
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by MrsChima1(f): 8:44am On Dec 19, 2011
When government decided to interfere with God's natural orders it became business henceforward.

Flashaldrin:

you guys are making marriage sound like a business sad sad
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Flashaldrin(m): 8:49am On Dec 19, 2011
nah, more like when women saw it as a means of making money they didnt work for!

I'm sure you got up to ten lawyers to help sign yours cheesy cheesy Mr chima don enter!!
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Princek12(m): 8:50am On Dec 19, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

If the prenup is fair and sensible for both parties then I don't see an issue.  Just know by law a person can contest the prenup as unfair and unjust so many people doesn't know that prenup agreements aren't always withstanding.  

Ladies, prenup agreements in some cases can protect you and if you have a good lawyer the prenup agreement can be written so that both parties are given fair share of everything earned after the marriage because who knows what can happen.  You may end up being the bread winner and without a prenup, your assets are divided or dissolved.  

So if a man feels comfortable enough to ask you for a prenup then he doesn't trust you.

so, in the same vein, are you saying lady who asks for a prenup does not trust him?
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by MrsChima1(f): 8:51am On Dec 19, 2011
Princek12:

so, in the same vein, are you saying lady who asks for a prenup does not trust him?

It goes both ways but men are more likely to ask for prenups than women. wink
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by MrsChima1(f): 8:53am On Dec 19, 2011
Flashaldrin:

nah, more like when women saw it as a means of making money they didnt work for!

I'm sure you got up to ten lawyers to help sign yours cheesy cheesy Mr chima don enter!!

Please don't confuse me with your gold digging sisters. If women are seeing it as a means to make money then why are MEN paying bride prices and PROPOSING to women and not the other way around?
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Flashaldrin(m): 8:58am On Dec 19, 2011
that's not relevant.
the truth is most women entice and lure men to marry them just for their wealth.
hope you read enough hardley chases undecided
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by slimyem: 9:02am On Dec 19, 2011
i'dd rather not marry at all than sign such with any man for any reason whatsoever and like flash said,marriage is so NOT A BUSINESS ARRANGEMENT! at least not for me angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by pendo89(f): 9:04am On Dec 19, 2011
I would demand for a prenup.Will not even wait for the man to ask.And no its just for any eventualities since humans are prone to failure.
Now it will take a man with my kind of mind to understand that its got nothing to do with trust rather the fact that we both acknowledge our deficiences and prefer to have them covered in advance.I don't even see any issue there. None at all.
By the way its much better esp if both of you or one party have stuff that qualify as assets.
I however wonder if its necessary if both of you are on equal level.
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Flashaldrin(m): 9:05am On Dec 19, 2011
slimyem:

i'dd rather not marry at all than sign such with any man for any reason whatsoever and like flash said,marriage is so NOT A BUSINESS ARRANGEMENT! at least not for me angry angry angry angry angry
thank you again! kiss
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by slimyem: 9:10am On Dec 19, 2011
besides,when did pre-nup start to become a nigerian thing??
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by pendo89(f): 9:14am On Dec 19, 2011
Marriage is not a business arrangement but lol it becomes Big business when things fall apart! And who says that they dont fall apart? Every single day even bishops,actors and our role models fall. So its wrong to play holy and assume that it can never no matter how much trust there is.
Think of it as an insurance.It just covers eventualities but we don't live expecting that an accident will occur No. We just cover in advance and live.
And that shouldn't ruin the trust if you both agree on it. It doesn't have to really.

I think I am tired of seeing people sorting unending cases in courts or fighting over property till it becomes public business.
Whatever works for u, wherever you are and for both of you,go for it.
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Flashaldrin(m): 9:23am On Dec 19, 2011
ok lets see it this way. . .
a poor pretty girl with almost nothing is marrying a multimillionaire dude and then wants to sign a pre-nuptial??
what else is she going for?? what does it say of the whole marriage thingy?

well i also agree with pendo sha, humans are unpredictable, and we need an insurance to cover eventualities and avoid ugly court fights
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by pendo89(f): 9:26am On Dec 19, 2011
Haba!  grin there's nothing wrong with a poor,pretty lady marrying a rich dude.
If she truly loves the dude she would have no problem signing the prenup. Her refusal to do so will only send mixed signals.
Besides think what she stands to gain if it doesnt work out! She will still walk out a millionare no?
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Nayah(f): 9:31am On Dec 19, 2011
Habari my sister, Pendo miss you soo much
For you poster I truly believe that some people are really in love and don't deserve the be treated as they can can steal you
But on the other hand life is about money nowadays and people calculate and protect their interest, so well even though I might wondering why he wants me to sign such a paper, I'd marry him especially if I love him and would try to do my best not ending with a divorce
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by slimyem: 9:51am On Dec 19, 2011
and then in another light,pre-nup defeats the whole purpose of the for better,for worse thingy sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by pendo89(f): 10:06am On Dec 19, 2011
Jambo nayah,sina matata. smiley hope uko poa.

slimyem:

and then in another light,pre-nup defeats the whole purpose of the for better,for worse thingy sad sad sad sad sad

lol slim by the way I cant even believe am pro prenup cz I am firm believe in for better for worse stuff. But I chose to be practical and real without feeling guilty.There are lots of cases on property division after divorce. Some even result into murder. Now who wants such?
This is how I look at it,it actually depends on how worse 'worse' can get!
These guys on media just say 'irreconciliable differences. Whatever that means I really dont care but probably that is their worse and it's reached a dead end.Or would u rather hear that a dude chopped his wife into pieces and fried her for dinner because they said till death do us part? undecided
I even think the nuptials are a fallacy.
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Nayah(f): 10:12am On Dec 19, 2011
pendo89:

Jambo nayah,sina matata. smiley hope uko poa.

lol slim by the way I cant even believe am pro prenup cz I am firm believe in for better for worse stuff. But I chose to be practical and real without feeling guilty.There are lots of cases on property division after divorce. Some even result into murder. Now who wants such?
This is how I look at it,it actually depends on how worse 'worse' can get!
These guys on media just say 'irreconciliable differences. Whatever that means I really dont care but probably that is their worse and it's reached a dead end.Or would u rather hear that a dude chopped his wife into pieces and fried her for dinner because they said till death do us part? undecided
I even think the nuptials are a fallacy.

kiss kiss kiss
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by pendo89(f): 10:38am On Dec 19, 2011
^^back from travel?
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Nayah(f): 10:49am On Dec 19, 2011
No my dear i'll go very soon my work is killing me now loool grin
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by pendo89(f): 11:00am On Dec 19, 2011
pole sana.its a slow week. party mood.ok no derail.
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by iice(f): 2:41pm On Dec 19, 2011
Always been pro prenup.
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by MrsChima1(f): 3:19pm On Dec 19, 2011
Flashaldrin:

that's not relevant.
the truth is most women entice and lure men to marry them just for their wealth.
hope you read enough hardley chases undecided

Unlike your sisters, I don't need to chase men. I make my OWN MONEY. wink It is a foreign concept to you and yours. Let it soak a minute.

The fact that MEN ARE PAYING bride price and proposing IS RELEVANT to THIS THREAD and it DOESN'T MATTER HOW HARD OR FREQUENT A WOMAN CHASE A MAN, a man STILL has to say I DO.

Dum dum. cool
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by MrsChima1(f): 3:25pm On Dec 19, 2011
slimyem:

We are not talking about YOUR MOTIVE TO GET MARRIED, we are talking about the overall arrangement of marriage.  Anytime money/fund/collateral/bonds is exchanged between a customer and an organization, it is a business transaction/arrangement.

Again, marriage IN TODAY'S society is a business arrangement when governments INTERFERE with God's natural orders. 

Forefathers and mothers back in the ancient times weren't paying court fees and licenses fees to get married.  Prenuptial agreements are contracts therefore it is a business transaction and if you get a divorce in developing countries divorce IS LUCRATIVE. 

That smells like business arrangement to me.
Re: Would You Still Go Ahead With The Marriage If He Asks You To Sign A Prenup? by Princek12(m): 3:33pm On Dec 19, 2011
Mrs, Chima:

We are not talking about YOUR MOTIVE TO GET MARRIED, we are talking about the overall arrangement of marriage.  Anytime money/fund/collateral/bonds is exchanged between a customer and an organization, it is a business transaction/arrangement.

Again, marriage IN TODAY'S society is a business arrangement when governments INTERFERE with God's natural orders. 

Forefathers and mothers back in the ancient times weren't paying court fees and licenses fees to get married.  Prenuptial agreements are contracts therefore it is a business transaction and if you get a divorce in developing countries divorce IS LUCRATIVE. 

That smells like business arrangement to me.   

You are right. Marriage is a business arrangement memorialized by a contract. Not signing a prenup does not prevent a marriage from being a contract, as both parties contract to spend their lives together for better or for worse. Signing a prenup protects the assets of the parties in case it does not work out, which happens frequently.

(1) (Reply)

Who Loves Eachother More In Your Relationship? / Is She Playing Secret Games?. / Single Girls Believed That Dating Married Men Pay More, What Is Your Say?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.