Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? (10857 Views)

Can Someone In Nigeria Receive Dollars Via Courier / Offloading Of Dollars Triggers Massive Naira Appreciation At Parallel Market / How Can I Receive Dollars In The USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by saskatoon(f): 4:44am On Dec 22, 2011
hi all,
pls what is the best method to received money from nigeria in canadian dollars!!!
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by wysenas(m): 6:35am On Dec 22, 2011
OP,money transfer is worldwide,u can choose any one of d means.
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by Jeel: 4:19pm On Dec 22, 2011
Western Union money transfer
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by saskatoon(f): 4:47am On Dec 24, 2011
u mean i can received western union in canada, meanwhile the money will be transfered to me from nigeria.
pls i need more explanation.
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by saskatoon(f): 4:52am On Dec 24, 2011
u mean i can received western union in canada, meanwhile the money will be transfered to me from nigeria.
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by wysenas(m): 11:33am On Dec 24, 2011
Since u can send money to smbody in nigeria via western union 4rm canada,d same thing apply when sending 4rm nigeria to canada.its vice versa.western union is worldwide which i believe u know !
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by saskatoon(f): 1:59pm On Dec 24, 2011
thank you wysenas
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by webstradamus: 2:17pm On Dec 24, 2011
wysenas:

Since u can send money to smbody in nigeria via western union 4rm canada,d same thing apply when sending 4rm nigeria to canada.its vice versa.western union is worldwide which i believe u know !

Wrong Advice!!! You can't send money from Nigeria to Canada via Western Union. Your best bet is bank wire!!!
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by SAPNET: 2:17pm On Dec 24, 2011
You cannot use Western Union to send money out of Nigeria. Western Union only allows inbound transfers to Nigeria. You require a third party broker to facilitate such transactions and we offer such services.

Visit our website for more information.

Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by wysenas(m): 2:21pm On Dec 24, 2011
Saskatoon,u are welcome.feel free to share yur ideas/burden with me anytime.happy xmas in advance !
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by arbitrage: 8:21pm On Dec 25, 2011
I have posted on this thread when it was just about three posts but I guess Seun's bot or the people in charge need some upgrade as it must have removed my post after restoring my posting privilege. I guess wynesas is not in Nigeria, hence he/she doesn't know that Western Union or MoneyGram is only using Nigeria as receiving ground. Like someone previously posted, wire transfer is the means of sending outside Nigeria for you to receive it in Canadian dollars as you requested and such reception will have to be into your Canadian bank account at the prevailing market rate plus the sending fees/charges (to be paid by your Nigerian sender in Nigerian Naira equivalent while sending - usually between $25 and $30) and receiving fees/charges (to be paid by you from the amount you are receiving to your Canadian bank - usually varies with your bank over there but not usually more than $25; could even be free to receive like my US account).

Now back to your question about the best or may be the cost effective method, I know that if you have a DOM account in Nigeria, you can initiate the transfer with your bank in Nigeria to send to the Canadian bank account. Wire transfer will require you pay in Naira and you must have reason/evidence to show like school fees to be paid for will require admission letter, goods/services will require company/business invoice from seller/shipper and then you will fill CBN form A at the bank. Just to show bank that govt foreign reserve is spent legitimately. Other different way could be to collect the cash dollar as BTA or PTA after showing traveling documents including visa and travel ticket to Canada ($5000 limit per quarter of the year limit). Choosing the latter will require you to collect cash that you may not still have means of sending over.

With your DOM account, you can initiate transfer abroad to the Canadian bank account you want to send to. I used my internet banking with GTB to raise the requested BUT they charged me higher than when I sent wire transfer. In fact, you chose option of paying their transfer fees/charges from your DOM or Naira account apart from the amount you are sending from the DOM itself. But I discovered that the GTB added another fee/charge that made the total fees to be about twice what it usually should be with wire transfer. I have tested sending $50 to my US account through the GTB method and equivalent of about $50 was dedcuted from my Naira account as the fees/charges whereas I always spent less than $25 equivalent whenever I wire transfer 450 or 900 euro from my Union Bank to Switzerland.

Finally, my cheapest option that I have observed from experience so far is when you (or someone in Nigeria) have the money in GTB account in Naira and you are in Canada. Just walk up to the GTB Naira mastercard to withdraw. Not all banks' ATM but few ones like Scotia Bank, TD something, , RBC, etc. I used that method in Aug/Sept. I just opened GTB before leaving Nigeria and did not have their card before leaving but my friends in Canada have their GTB. All I did was to use my Union bank internet banking to transfer money via eTranzact platform to their GTB accounts. Then we went to the ATM and cashed in Canadian dollars. I also cashed the DOM dollar that was in my Union bank card in Canadian dollar but the GTB ws from the Naira Mastercard. The advantage of this is that your GTB Naira mastercard is not limited to $4 or 5000 per quarter like many other Nigerian banks under CBN rule. You can withdraw the foreign currency equivalent of our usual daily ATM withdrawal limit over there, everyday. It was formerly N100k but now GTB makes it N150k per day from ATM. So you can withdraw the equivalent of that everyday in Canadian dollars from ATM or even spend more at the till (POS), I think up to N500k equivalent over there, everyday. So just open a GTB account here and get the card so you can be using it at ATM over there. That is the best and cheapest option I know for now.

Summarily, there are many banks in Nigeria that now offer you ability to own Mastercard or Visa card in Naira that you can withdraw foreign currency abroad from ATM. I know of GTB, First bank, Skye Bank, Fidelity, Diamond, Zenith (limited to same CBN $5000 per quarter equivalent usage) and UBA Africard. GTB, for example will give you the the withdrawal at the prevailing market rate plus N1k charge from your card. That is the best method I can advise you to use. Take care!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 25, 2011
@Op, bank wire or nothing, dont mind who ever that is telling third party
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 25, 2011
you cant send money from Nigeria using western union, u can only receive!!
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by saskatoon(f): 2:34pm On Dec 26, 2011
thank you everyone, you guys are the best.
Re: Best Way To Receive Dollars In Nigeria? by Chukatabra: 7:46am On Sep 15, 2023
Opening a dorm account is literally a long story to be honest. Tried opening one and the long document requirement stuff just made me abandon it. A friend recommended https://changera.co/ and I've been using them ever since?

This article simplifies it - https://blog.changera.co/how-to-receive-dollars-in-nigeria/

(1) (Reply)

4 Ways You Can Support Your Friend's Business / Providus Bank, Travelport Pledge Full Support To TravelTank (Travel Tech Co) / How Much Does It Cost To Register An Enterprises In CAC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.