Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,762 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. (65397 Views)

Post Your India Web Proxy problems Here / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 1:15pm On Jan 08, 2012
I
sun_temi:

The thread says ' Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here.' so why all these MAC and PC arguments?

I think it is fair to assume we can discuss anything Mac related on this thread, including the unending MAC vs PC debate. Just my 2 cents!!
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Suntemi(m): 2:48pm On Jan 08, 2012
Olisa74:

I
I think it is fair to assume we can discuss anything Mac related on this thread, including the unending MAC vs PC debate. Just my 2 cents!!

Well, you are the thread starter.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by amor4ce(m): 9:16pm On Jan 08, 2012
Extenuating circumstances - I haven't yet gone to iShopA. So it is till further notice.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 3:46am On Jan 12, 2012
This is a brief tutorial on how to set up icloud on your Mac. Once set up, you can then use it to locate your lost or stolen Mac device anywhere in the world, including Nigeria!! Very handy, so thieves beware!!

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by MyJwell: 11:40pm On Jan 14, 2012
pls i need to know if there's any difference in networking windos and mac?

pls detailed explanation would be helpful and appreciated
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 10:29am On Jan 15, 2012
MyJwell:

pls i need to know if there's any difference in networking windos and mac?

pls detailed explanation would be helpful and appreciated

The term networking is very broad and covers many different aspects of computing. Do you mean Mac to Mac networking, or Mac to Windows networking? Can you be a bit more specific please.
Below is a link which is a detailed guide to Mac networking and file sharing.(Mac to Mac, and Mac to Windows)

http://smokingapples.com/software/reviews/mac-windows-network-file-sharing/
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by MyJwell: 5:22am On Jan 16, 2012
Thanks so much for the response, it has resolved my issue.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 6:58pm On Jan 16, 2012
Can't see my last post, can a moderator help me out?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Somzie(m): 8:59pm On Jan 17, 2012
wats the price of a fairly-used Imac?

and how often is it demanded by the Nigerian Public?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 10:42am On Jan 18, 2012
Somzie:

wats the price of a fairly-used Imac?

and how often is it demanded by the Nigerian Public?

The price of a fairly used Imac depends really on what part of the world you are buying it from. The bottom line is that Macs usually hold their value for many years, so you might be better off going for a brand new one that comes with a full year warranty. I see you are based in the UK. You can try gumtree, they have a lot of very good deals there.
I am not based in Nigeria, so I don't know about demand there. Maybe someone based in Nigeria can help us out. I presume the demand is low though, but I expect this to change as awareness grows.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Somzie(m): 11:02am On Jan 18, 2012
Thanx 4 da useful info. already know gumtree tho.

i export to nigeria as i fly back n forth but as u kno, lagos especially, can flip their demands when it comes to electronics.

i own an Imac and i've got access to a lot more since the recession as people are selling em off to pay dey bills. especially students. so with the intention of sending some home, i wanted to know their prices in the market n if the demand for them exists on a large scale.

but you've been very informative mate. cheerio
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Joagbaje(m): 3:39pm On Jan 26, 2012
My mAc book air battery now only last for 2 hrs what can I do? Is it normal ?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 10:32am On Jan 27, 2012
Joagbaje:

My mAc book air battery now only last for 2 hrs what can I do? Is it normal ?

Hello Joagbaje, a bit more info would have been helpful, such as, the age of your MBA, the 2hrs you have noticed, is it under heavy use or light use? Do you know how many load cycles your MBA has been through?
Have you tried calibrating your battery (check apple site for details)? If not, then your battery monitor may be reporting the battery charge wrongly. I suggest you download a small free app called coconut battery. Install it and run it. It should give you detailed info on your battery life, load cycles, current charge, current capacity etc. Run it and see what it says. Let us know how it goes!
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by bigx(m): 9:28pm On Feb 01, 2012
Any iMac for sale?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by jidowu84: 10:59am On Feb 09, 2012
@all, more M.O.N.E.Y more W.A.H.A.L.A. The two go side by side. Abi i lie?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by chillbabe(f): 1:38pm On Feb 12, 2012
someone please help me resolve this problem with my macbook pro.I just turned it on only to be faced with the problem of it not coming up all i see is the apple logo and the sign of the rotating wheel-like stuff as if its searching for sumtin, would appreciate your help people.Thanks
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 9:57am On Feb 14, 2012
chillbabe:

someone please help me resolve this problem with my macbook pro.I just turned it on only to be faced with the problem of it not coming up all i see is the apple logo and the sign of the rotating wheel-like stuff as if its searching for sumtin, would appreciate your help people.Thanks

Hello Chillbabe. There seems to be a problem with your hard drive. You can try to repair the hard drive, but the methods differ depending on the Operating System you are using. Are you using OSX Snow Leopard or OSX Liion?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by chillbabe(f): 11:52am On Feb 14, 2012
my brother how do i know which of the OSX's that i use, TRIED rebooting in safe mode another problem just came up now and its a blank blue screen im sure its the hard drive though based on the much i've read bout possible causes.thanks
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 4:19pm On Feb 14, 2012
Chillbabe, did your Macbook Pro come with any installation discs?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by teemaverikk: 8:49am On Feb 15, 2012
Hi Olisa74
I recently joined Nairaland and I've been reading your insightful comments on the debate btw Mac vs. PC
I would sincerely appreciate your help as I want to buy a FAIRLY USED MAC
I already have a PC but want to upgrade to a Mac. My resources are however limited
So I am wondering what kind of MacBook I can get for the price of N90,000
I would also appreciate it if you could give me info on the possible specs for the said price
Also if you could give me info on where in Lagos I could get one I would really appreciate it.
Please note I said FAIRLY USED or TOKUNBOH.
Thank you so much.
Cheers.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 3:17am On Feb 16, 2012
Hello teemaverikk, unfortunately I am not based in Nigeria, so my knowledge on the second hand market for Apple products in Nigeria is somewhat limited. What I do know is that MacBooks tend to hold their value for many years, so you would be hard pushed to get a fairly used Macbook for 90k. Moreover apple seem to have discontinued the Macbook range in favour of the entry level Macbook Pro, which in the UK goes for £999. Still give it a shot as you never know.
You can try iShopA. According to their website they are based in Abuja, Ikeja and Port Harcourt.
Alternatively you can try The Orchard, Shop 3, Civic Centre Ozumba Mbadiwe Street, VI, Lagos, 07028064109.
Please post back and let us know how it goes so we can all learn from your experience.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 3:26am On Feb 16, 2012
Hello Chillbabe, did you manage to resolve your issue? It does sound like it might be an issue with your Hard Drive. Replacing it is fairly inexpensive and straight forward, but it means you will lose all your data if you didn't back up before your issue started. If your MacBook Pro came with installation discs, then you could boot from the disc and try to repair the hard drive. Any which way I hope you sort it out. Please post back and let us know how it goes.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by faithin9ja: 5:14pm On Feb 17, 2012
Hello Olisa74

I have recently put a post asking for any suitable PC/laptop that can compete with macbook pro or macbook air.

I really like the build quality of the macs, and their battery life, on and off function and other hardware issues, however i think am too old to start re-learning how to use the one-button mouse and all the attendant issues of software compatibility. (for instance a family friend came over from Nigeria, he bought a Macbook pro from Apple store, try as we could we couldn't backup his android phone to the Mac)

I know windows can be installed on a Mac, in your estimation do you think I should invest in a Mac?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 2:57pm On Feb 18, 2012
Hello Faithin9ja,
they say when you switch to a Mac you never look back!! No one is ever too old to make the switch. The one button mouse can be reconfigured to act just like a normal PC mouse if you so prefer. Software compatibility issues with the Mac is becoming a thing of the past, as most vendors are also releasing Mac versions of their various software.
It is strange that your friend could not back up his android phone to a Mac, as an advantage Mac's have over PC's is their plug and play ability, unlike PC's that constantly need drivers.
In my estimation, a Mac is a brilliant investment as they also hardly lose their value, unlike their PC counterparts. I have seen six year old Macbooks still selling for upwards of £500 on ebay!!
So my advise is go ahead, take the plunge, you will not regret it. Good luck!
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Qaslay(m): 11:29pm On Feb 27, 2012
So I am wondering what kind of MacBook I can get for the price of N90,000

Seriously, MacBook for 90K!!! that's a joke, right?

1 Like

Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by 247man: 8:58am On Feb 29, 2012
has anyone experienced this scenario?;
the mbp mid 2010 works fine on snow leopard. i bought d lion OS and installed. After the installation, the screen just goes blank randomly. at times at lo-gin stage, while browsing, waking up from sleep, anytime, d screen will just go blank as if its in sleep mode. the only way out is to reboot.

Right now, i av restored from time machine and back to SL. working fine now. Does anyone av a suggestion apart from changing the logic board?
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 9:11am On Mar 01, 2012
247man:

has anyone experienced this scenario?;
the mbp mid 2010 works fine on snow leopard. i bought d lion OS and installed. After the installation, the screen just goes blank randomly. at times at lo-gin stage, while browsing, waking up from sleep, anytime, d screen will just go blank as if its in sleep mode. the only way out is to reboot.

Right now, i av restored from time machine and back to SL. working fine now. Does anyone av a suggestion apart from changing the logic board?

Hello 247man, I can assure you that your problem has nothing to do with your logic board. As you have reverted back to Snow Leopard with no issues, the problem has to do with the copy of Lion you installed. Did you download it from the Apple Store website? If not, there are a few dodgy ones floating around. I suggest you try re downloading a fresh copy if you can, as your copy might be corrupted.
If you can make do with SL for the time being though, a new OS, Mountain Lion, is due out in the summer. You can get that instead.
Bottom Line : Your mid 2010 mbp is a very new and sturdy machine, if it has no issues with SL, it should handle Lion, or Mountain Lion just fine, except of course, there is a problem with your software.
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 01, 2012
Olisa74:

Hello 247man, I can assure you that your problem has nothing to do with your logic board. As you have reverted back to Snow Leopard with no issues, the problem has to do with the copy of Lion you installed. Did you download it from the Apple Store website? If not, there are a few dodgy ones floating around. I suggest you try re downloading a fresh copy if you can, as your copy might be corrupted.
If you can make do with SL for the time being though, a new OS, Mountain Lion, is due out in the summer. You can get that instead.
Bottom Line : Your mid 2010 mbp is a very new and sturdy machine, if it has no issues with SL, it should handle Lion, or Mountain Lion just fine, except of course, there is a problem with your software.
U might need to check this info out from apple
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088
Re: Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. by Olisa74(m): 10:58am On Mar 01, 2012
[
tumababa:

U might need to check this info out from apple
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

Tumababa, Thanks for the info!! The baffling thing about 247man's problem is it only happened after he upgraded to Lion, then disappeared when he reverted back to Snow Leopard. After installing Lion, the OS should automatically be updated to the latest version, which according to Apple, should eliminate the problem.
I still assume 247man's mbp is fine, and the problem might have been from the Lion OS. If the problem resurfaces while he is using SL, then Houston, we have a problem!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

You Can Now Upgrade To Windows 10 / Difference Between China HP And Original HP? / Computer Professional Body In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.