Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry (10939 Views)

See What Happens To The Blackberry Priv After It Was Turned Over Fire / If This Is The Blackberry Android Phone, I Want One / The Blackberry Thread: Apps, Faqs, Tips, Problems. .etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Ronaldo200(m): 9:57pm On Dec 25, 2011
It's like this basically

In the US/Canada/Europe, it's only about iPhone or Android. The only people using BlackBerry are those who use it for business, their company gives it them due to secure email on the go. Their personal phones aren't BB. And apart from that, people obsessed with BBM (mainly young teenagers and students) also use it, and people who want to buy a cheap smartphone.

In places like Nigeria, and other developing markets, BlackBerry dominates. Why? Cheap, simple to use, and an obsession with BBM.

Follow the news. Android handsets (Samsung, htc, etc) dominate in the US and RIMs market share price has gone down 80 per cent cos they can't compete. Apple phones are twice are expensive as blackberry but still people prefer it. But in places like Nigeria not everybody has that kind of money to buy an iPhone 4s or Samsung s2

Read this article, in the UK it is now a two horse race
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/8972934/Apple-iPhone-prospers-in-Britain-but-suffers-in-the-eurozone.html
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by gameaddict(m): 10:50pm On Dec 25, 2011
I hate blackberry devices but I use one because let's face it, when it comes to communication, they're the best communication option we've got in Nigeria and most of Africa.

They SUCK at every other thing.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Kay1kay1(m): 11:12pm On Dec 25, 2011
Arrived home (from a village where the fad then was the Ifone4). It was all BB madness here. Left, Right, everywhere. Even folks with 2 BBs. I asked what was special about these BBs. Oh, cost-effective, unique pins, enclyption, etc. . . .

RIM should consider setting up a factory here.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Abagworo(m): 11:36pm On Dec 25, 2011
Let's us be truthful, blackberry has an edge simply because of bbm and limitless internet at cheap price. No other phone gives us that option. I own HTC Legend, Nokia N900, iphone 3, blackberry 9700, ipad 2, Hp laptop and acer netbook.

I'm still stuck with the blackberry. The same goes with everyone around me. Men of roughly 25 to 30 years. Even while driving I still ping.

Anybody that has all these phones that denies that the blackberry is the business is simply lying.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Ronaldo200(m): 11:47pm On Dec 25, 2011
Let's us be truthful, blackberry has an edge simply because of bbm and limitless internet at cheap price. No other phone gives us that option. I own HTC Legend, Nokia N900, iphone 3, blackberry 9700, ipad 2, Hp laptop and acer netbook.

I'm still stuck with the blackberry. The same goes with everyone around me. Men of roughly 25 to 30 years. Even while driving I still ping.

Anybody that has all these phones that denies that the blackberry is the business is simply lying.

In other words, BlackBerry has the edge cos its cheap. Which is why I say BB does well in place like Nigeria. Cheap to buy the handset, and cheap pricing plans.

In Europe / US, the iPhone rules cos 1) most people don't have time to be pinging on BBM all day (even tho iPhone now has a free messaging service) 2) you can browse on and use your iPhone on wifi everywhere free of charge (Starbucks, libraries, @ home, shopping malls), 3) many many many more apps than the Blackberry (compare Apple App Store to BB App world is like comparing 2011 to 2008), 4) better camera, podcasts, access to iTunes library and all).

Anytime I'm back in Nigeria, I pull out my old BlackBerry though cos everyone there is obsessed with BBM.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Nobody: 2:00am On Dec 26, 2011
D phone z just dre abeg,
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Agybabe(f): 6:26am On Dec 26, 2011
Some will say they hate BB, na lie! Because them п̥̥̲̣̣̣̥ợ̣̣̝̇̇̇ get. Okay for instance someone ask u, do you have a BB and u said no, and the person ask why, because you don't want the person to think say money no dey, you tell the person you don't like it. Sometimes if someone tells me that, I will know if maybe it's money or just shying away. But who is a freak anyway? Some say I don't like it, because them no know better thing.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by chinnyonwu(m): 6:30am On Dec 26, 2011
Agybabe:

Some will say they hate BB, na lie! Because them п̥̥̲̣̣̣̥ợ̣̣̝̇̇̇ get. Okay for instance someone ask u, do you have a BB and u said no, and the person ask why, because you don't want the person to think say money no dey, you tell the person you don't like it. Sometimes if someone tells me that, I will know if maybe it's money or just shying away. But who is a freak anyway? Some say I don't like it, because them no know better thing.
Its not just †ђξ money my dear. ƚ use a bb and ƚ still miss my symbian games, unlimted apps, longer battery . If uve used a symbian phone before, like e-series, Ʋ'd know what am talkin about
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by BabaEleko(m): 6:33am On Dec 26, 2011
Agybabe:

Typical Blackberry Babe!
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by chinnyonwu(m): 6:35am On Dec 26, 2011
^^“
ƚ đ℮ƴ tell Ʋ,, and its probably someone paying d subscription oo. Ɩ۵Ɩ
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by BabaEleko(m): 6:45am On Dec 26, 2011
^^^ Of course, its obvious.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Djcn: 7:14am On Dec 26, 2011
Ronaldo200:

It's like this basically

In the US/Canada/Europe, it's only about iPhone or Android. The only people using BlackBerry are those who use it for business, their company gives it them due to secure email on the go. Their personal phones aren't BB. And apart from that, people obsessed with BBM (mainly young teenagers and students) also use it, and people who want to buy a cheap smartphone.

In places like Nigeria, and other developing markets, BlackBerry dominates. Why? Cheap, simple to use, and an obsession with BBM.

Follow the news. Android handsets (Samsung, htc, etc) dominate in the US and RIMs market share price has gone down 80 per cent cos they can't compete. Apple phones are twice are expensive as blackberry but still people prefer it. But in places like Nigeria not everybody has that kind of money to buy an iPhone 4s or Samsung s2

Read this article, in the UK it is now a two horse race
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/8972934/Apple-iPhone-prospers-in-Britain-but-suffers-in-the-eurozone.html

The US/Canada/Europe are not the only users of phones in the world. Most people there use android because it is a cheaper smartphone, Learn to always get your facts right. Those region still has a higher bb penetration than Nigeria. Now this link gives the bb market share. It accounted for 3% of all phones shiped as against apple"s 4.6 and Most companies had a higher shipment last year than this year, Why

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1764714
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by dumodust(m): 8:24am On Dec 26, 2011
charlsecy4:

It is a pity that up till now you are yet to realise that BlackBerry Internet Service is cheaper than the regular Internet service. The average data cap for Blackberry Complete is 200MB charged at a mean price of N1500; while Airtel charges N1,000 for their regular 100MB data plan (meaning 200MB should be N2,000 or a bit less). Besides, 200MB on BIS will last longer than a regular Internet plan of same 200MB because of BlackBerry server-side compression technology, thereby making BlackeBerry cheaper.

Even if you are talking about devices; the dearest Nokia in Nigeria - Nokia N9 (over 100,000) is more expensive than the dearest Blackberry - Bold Touch (over 90,000).

So, in real objective sense, Blackberry is for poor people who wants to save money!

Charis thanks for making everything clear to the poor young lad, In Nigeria this is how young people think, they spend more time trying to prop themselves up as rich folks than actually working for the money. Blackberry phones are retarded, noisy, annoying, clueless phone that only make you spend more time on them and it connects you with useless ranters. It makes people look retarded, like they're walking in a haze. For a company rejected even in their home country canada and heading for bankruptcy, they have as usual found a home in nigeria. If you truly claim to have money, please make a call, The regular modem subscription even cheaper and I do a lot more stuff with my iPad and nokia like reading, oh, I forgot, u possibly don't read, u ping, lol
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by BabaEleko(m): 8:42am On Dec 26, 2011
dumodust:

Charis thanks for making everything clear to the poor young lad, In Nigeria this is how young people think, they spend more time trying to prop themselves up as rich folks than actually working for the money. Blackberry phones are slow, noisy, annoying, clueless phone that only make you spend more time on them and it connects you with useless ranters. It makes people look slow, like they're walking in a haze. For a company rejected even in their home country canada and heading for bankruptcy, they have as usual found a home in nigeria. If you truly claim to have money, please make a call, The regular modem subscription even cheaper and I do a lot more stuff with my iPad and nokia like reading, oh, I forgot, u possibly don't read, u ping, lol

[size=16pt]And you know the most annoying thing about the BB thing. ok. I have you as friend on Facebook, we follow each other on twitter, you are on my on Yahoo messenger, skype and Hotmail, we are connected on Google+, you have my email addresses, you have my phone number including my land phone and you still asking me for some silly "BB pin". OMG! Its so annoying. Some peeps are so re.tarded. "I simply say i don't have bb pin" whats your apple id so i'll add u on iMessage" This BB pple annoy the 5hit outta me.[/size] angry angry angry angry
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Emmaesty(f): 9:58am On Dec 26, 2011
[color=#000099][/color] i heard that in Unilag,if u have a bb u'll be considered as a big boy/gal
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Gbenge77(m): 10:33am On Dec 26, 2011
Many of her youths appear to be
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Chimezie198(m): 10:59am On Dec 26, 2011
GIRL: Uncle, i wan buy phone and na BB i want oh!
UNCLE: errm make we start from AA first.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Ronaldo200(m): 3:18pm On Dec 26, 2011
Djcn:

The US/Canada/Europe are not the only users of phones in the world. Most people there use android because it is a cheaper smartphone, Learn to always get your facts right. Those region still has a higher bb penetration than Nigeria. Now this link gives the bb market share. It accounted for 3% of all phones shiped as against apple"s 4.6 and Most companies had a higher shipment last year than this year, Why

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1764714

You are actually confirming what I have written. Did you actually read your link?
BlackBerry is behind Apple, both their handsets and also by operating system. Let's not confuse people here, BlackBerry has a lower market share in the western countries than Apple iPhone and also the Android Operating system. Your link actually shows that BlackBerry is in sixth place.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Vicky2k(m): 3:36pm On Dec 26, 2011
Yeah BlackBerry is a good Phone but not Better than Android Phones and I Phone. They say its Economical in terms of Subscription. I agree with that. For Handling Business Transactions like Instant Mail Reply, Google Talk, Skype, Twitter, Facebook Its a better Alternative than having to Always stay on a PC regularly. Symbian Phone is also good one cos of its Variety of Apps.
Check out my Money Making Thread www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-829710.0.html
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Konnektions146(m): 5:06pm On Dec 26, 2011
still dont understand y people say other phones cant do push e mails . i work for a corp organization and my e mails on my phone is just very good, sometimes my e mails drops in my phone before the system in the office.
i dnt use a BB and never used but i guess that guy sayin that everyone that dont like a BB are poor, i find that statement so funny and thats how much ignorant he can be .
have yu really noticed how clumsy the user interface of BBM is?
can yu conpare it with ,whatsapp,?
have yu as well noticed dat BB not too great with 3rd party apps??(meaning its got limitations and restrictions).
if yu are a an individual that does a lot all at same time(multi-tasking), yu find out it drags.

bottom line
there re a lot of people who can afford it and still dont use it.
push e mails and IM aint just abt BB.
BB hype is just so annoying and i am begining to see some ladies as children cos of their attitude wrt BB devices.

therfore use that which yu re confortable using even if na 3310

out and over
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Konnektions146(m): 5:06pm On Dec 26, 2011
still dont understand y people say other phones cant do push e mails . i work for a corp organization and my e mails on my phone is just very good, sometimes my e mails drops in my phone before the system in the office.
i dnt use a BB and never used but i guess that guy sayin that everyone that dont like a BB are poor, i find that statement so funny and thats how much ignorant he can be .
have yu really noticed how clumsy the user interface of BBM is?
can yu conpare it with ,whatsapp,?
have yu as well noticed dat BB not too great with 3rd party apps??(meaning its got limitations and restrictions).
if yu are a an individual that does a lot all at same time(multi-tasking), yu find out it drags.

bottom line
there re a lot of people who can afford it and still dont use it.
push e mails and IM aint just abt BB.
BB hype is just so annoying and i am begining to see some ladies as children cos of their attitude wrt BB devices.

therfore use that which yu re confortable using even if na 3310

out and over
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by oraclefemi(m): 1:30am On Dec 27, 2011
oHhh you people should just shut up, i know how many people i have met on bb that ave affected my life in different ways and how many business deals i have sealed with people i havent met in real life yet we transact and exchange ideas,is it on iphone or android that i want to do all that, if most people are on it its because its connecting them, all other phones should just shut up, bb has yahoo messenger and msn what other applications are you talking about self?? abeg someone designed a shirt for me , i stole the idea from someone elses dp and the shirt won an award! its called connecting ! anything other than this ,,,stfu !!!! by the way ive got the galaxy tab and ipad and it just bores me so i drop it and pick my bb and check for pings from friends, news , jokes and cool stuff !
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by dumodust(m): 8:41am On Dec 27, 2011
oraclefemi:

oHhh you people should just shut up, i know how many people i have met on bb that ave affected my life in different ways and how many business deals i have sealed with people i havent met in real life yet we transact and exchange ideas,is it on iphone or android that i want to do all that, if most people are on it its because its connecting them, all other phones should just shut up, bb has yahoo messenger and msn what other applications are you talking about self?? abeg someone designed a shirt for me , i stole the idea from someone elses dp and the shirt won an award! its called connecting ! anything other than this ,,,stfu !!!! by the way ive got the galaxy tab and ipad and it just bores me so i drop it and pick my bb and check for pings from friends, news , jokes and cool stuff !

At least you made your points clearly about why you prefer the blackberry. Pinging etc, good for you but very bad for some people. Can't imagine having to communicate and 'chat' endless(feels like talking forever, imagine how that will feel, people get tired of people you know), imagine all the attention seeking Ids you will have to put up with. Bb is a retarded, bland and unfriendly and it's sad that it's been converted to some stupid status symbol in nigerian that every nitwit you meet bleats on and on about it. The ovi maps on my nokia for example is very accurate and is my best buddy on the streets of Lagos not some annoying ping in the wrong place. While at work, i've noticed that bb chatters are less productive because they always stoop over the device with their two hands on it like, arrrgh!
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Woke4all(m): 8:48am On Dec 27, 2011
Baba_Eleko:

[size=16pt]And you know the most annoying thing about the BB thing. ok. I have you as friend on Facebook, we follow each other on twitter, you are on my on Yahoo messenger, skype and Hotmail, we are connected on Google+, you have my email addresses, you have my phone number including my land phone and you still asking me for some silly "BB pin". OMG! Its so annoying. Some peeps are so re.tarded. "I simply say i don't have bb pin" whats your apple id so i'll add u on iMessage" This BB pple annoy the 5hit outta me. angry angry angry angry
Nice one
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Oletunow(m): 10:18am On Dec 27, 2011
oraclefemi:

To some extend, it shows that most of your friends do not have any iDevice (e.g. iTouch, iPhone, iPad, etc) because you can do all of the things you mentioned above and much more on any of the iDevice, the iDevices. By the way, there are many social networking apps where you can met people through your iDevice. The other truth is, since the iPhone or the iPad is more expensive to buy and to maintain on a network than the Blackberry; friends you met on the iDevice might be on a higher social status than those on BB.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by ekehleosey: 11:29pm On Dec 27, 2011
hey guys i ran into this site on facebook and decided to check it out, sorry to divert a bit but seriously its worth it, its new in town and its a hit, its a mobile site www.mocliq.mobi. its something like an online/private phone account, wer u actually can save or keep airtime privately,u also can play a game called Cliqr to multiply your airtime, and you can then withdraw into your real phone account anytime. its actually very cool. u shud check it out.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by joanana(f): 12:54am On Dec 28, 2011
Most Nigerians cant stay a day without their bb , N the annoying pinging sound. Arrrrrgg, I hate it. I detest the stwpid crackberry fone, Its crazy
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by Bossman(m): 3:33pm On Dec 28, 2011
Blackberrys are pretty much dead here (And the rest of the western world). The only people that carry it is because it's a company phone and they are required to. Their personal phones are another phone, most likely Iphone or Androd. Was reading an article in fortune that did mention that they are thriving in the western world though. I guess though. Not even sure of these folks that carry one are aware that the likely of RIM (the company that makes BB's) NOT existing past 2012 is very high.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by GChux1: 4:10pm On Dec 28, 2011
Abagworo:

You must be a helluva frivolous pumpkin if you are not a liar. What do you need all those phones for? I got a Laptop, an Eseries phone, and my pc at work, they serve me right. It's dumb owning all them many gadgets HTC Legend, Nokia N900, iphone 3, blackberry 9700, ipad 2, Hp laptop and acer netbook, when one or two can serve you perfectly. Stick to your BB, Droid, iPhone, Symbian if you love them and stop posting crapola, people.
Re: How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry by ekehleosey: 7:38pm On Dec 28, 2011
hey guys i ran into this site on facebook and decided to check it out, sorry to divert a bit but seriously its worth it, its new in town and its a hit, its a mobile site www.mocliq.mobi. its something like an online/private phone account, wer u actually can save or keep airtime privately,u also can play a game called Cliqr to multiply your airtime, and you can then withdraw into your real phone account anytime. its actually very cool.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Will You Buy This Phone With 8300mah, 4GB/64GB For 65k? / Where Can I Download High Quality Mp3 Songs For Free / My problem with Oraimo Power Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.