Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (438) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1632677 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (2216) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 11:42pm On Feb 20, 2017
A40:
Anyway na Golden State I blame for this arifin tbh

The embolden is what upsets me the most. The choke job is the reason for the elevated level of nonsensical debate. Truthfully, i don't trust they would not choke again, they are playing with this sense of entitlement that worries me. D. Green is the player that scares me most, i worry he would fall prey to a similar situation like last season with his antics and lack of emotional control.

The only result that would compensate for last season's choke job would be to sweep the Cavs in the instance they meet again.

This arifin is entirely their fault, and their fans have to accept responsibility for this nonsense rather than being defensive about last season.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:00am On Feb 21, 2017
Woulda been more fun if Boogie went to OKC

They seem like similar players with the same skillset only difference Boogie being a better passer and Davis a better blocker. They are still going to need Holiday to make this work. The trade is far from a slam dunk IMO
birdman:

lol. anoda 10 pages of lbj arguments. it used to be kobe vs lbj. then mj vs lbj. then pierce vs lbj. then mj vs lbj. then curry vs lbj. now back to mj vs lbj..etc

these are by themselves a testament to lbj's greatness. Some recurring nightmares of losing while up 3-1 is apparently still hunting lbjs many enemies. May all our enemies live long to see us prosper grin grin grin
LBJ fanboys always trying to compare him to the god tbh. And you guys are like the Red Army so that says it all
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 12:44am On Feb 21, 2017
If Harrison barnes made 10 more shots in the finals, we wouldn't be having this conversation. I swear, na barnes I blame.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 5:01am On Feb 21, 2017
Roland17:

The risks of trading for Cousins far out weigh the possible benefit for us. The team chemistry in the roster has peaked and it is buttressed in their position on the log and how hard they work during games.

There are talks about Butler, and PG13 who i believe would be a better fit for the Celtics. The reason the Kings made this trade is not far fetched, even though they may not get the expected financial compensation.

The pelicans would have to pay Cousins close to $200M, if they chose to resign Boogie. is it worth it? well, time will tell. I thought the Pelicans should have pursued PG13 with that money.
With this new CBA not a lot of players will be changing teams,even Cousins was talking about signing an extension few weeks back.
No team will trade away the perfect player their is always going to be something,jimmy and PG 13 have not exactly been good for their team chemistry.
Let see how this your trust in Ainge plays out.
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 9:03am On Feb 21, 2017
Muna15:

A competition where we get to see good players, with the heart of a lion and balls of iron, get their own MVPs.

Yeah. I'm sick of all the excuses, Bogut was injured, Iggy had a weak back, Harrison didnt make 10more shots, Curry was injured, Draymond out in Game5 etc.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 9:38am On Feb 21, 2017
Smooshchn, players average 20+ ppg but they are downright inconsistent. If I use your analogy, Lillard is better than Curry cos of his higher stats, right? Lol

You downright know Curry is the most inconsistent of all those PGs. Make Lowry or Wall get one bad game and see if their teams win the game. His influence on games this season puts him outside the top 5.

Conduct your survey yourself, you'll see what I mean. Leave sentiments

4 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 10:42am On Feb 21, 2017
Decale:
Smooshchn, players average 20+ ppg but they are downright inconsistent. If I use your analogy, Lillard is better than Curry cos of his higher stats, right? Lol

You downright know Curry is the most inconsistent of all those PGs. Make Lowry or Wall get one bad game and see if their teams win the game. His influence on games this season puts him outside the top 5.

So you judge just based on consistency? I don't know how you calculate these inconsistency cos as far as I've watched this season all the above players pretty much are as consistent as each other except that when some don't play well their team loses. This doesn't mean they are better than Curry. Valuable to their team? Yes!! But better player this season than Curry? No!! Except Harden, Westbrook and Wall. And Curry without his MVPs is equal to Kemba Walker? Come on!! Only Lola throws this much shade.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 10:54am On Feb 21, 2017
lolawilliams:

I won't lie, Steph murdered the nba regular season last season, and was clearly the MVP. But we shouldnt spoil this lovely stat if I bring out his playoffs and finals stats grin

If we're using his two time MVP talk to rate him then you should accept that Steve Nash is way better than curry. Nash joined a Suns team which had emerging young players in Shawn Marion , Joe Johnson and Amar'e Stoudemire . In the season before Nash arrived, the Suns had recorded a 29–53 win–loss record, and they were projected to have another poor season. Nash's combination with the athleticism of his teammates produced an NBA-best 62–20 record and a points-per-game average of 110.4, he averaged 11.5 assists per game while making 50.2% of his field goals and 43.1% of his three-pointers in the regular season. He won the MVP award this season

The next season, Stoudemire suffered a serious knee injury, and Johnson and
Quentin Richardson were traded away.
People thought the Suns would not repeat their successful 2005 season, but with Nash directing the same high-tempo offence, they ended 54–28 record and won the division title. Nash recorded career highs in points (18. cool, rebounds (4.2), field goal percentage (.512) and free-throw percentage (a league-leading .921), and leading the league with 10.5 assists per game, he was named the league MVP for the second year in a row.

So to hell with all this Durant made Curry stats dropped, Its an excuse, Warriors fans should stop it. Nash stats didn't dropped when Shaq Oneal came, his shooting remained sharp, the accuracy of his shooting was on par with his 2005–06 MVP campaign (shooting at least 50% from the field, 40% from the three-point arc, and 90% from the free throw line).

Curry stats isn't the same as last season, we're putting in all on KD's head. If you say we don't respect the fact that he's a two time MVP, then I have to say therr are two types of two time MVP

Its like saying we shouldnt give CP3( led the NBA with 11.6 assists and 2.7 steals per game to go along with 21.1 points per game) the credit he deserves in 2007 cause Nash was a b2b Mvp in 2005 nd 2006.
All these stories just to say Kevin Durant has no influence on GSW offense?. Or is Durant is same as Harrison Barnes? No one is discrediting any of those mentioned players and I said like twice Harden is MVP. We're talking top 5 PG not best PG. Of which Harden and Westbrook are candidates. We're not discussing MVP status. Curry's number shouldn't drop even when KD is there? Please don't say this in public.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 10:57am On Feb 21, 2017
Decale:

I wouldn't rate Curry a top 5 PG this season honestly...

So let's check your honest-o-meter.

Would you rate Kyrie top 5 this season? grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:09am On Feb 21, 2017
This chick is using a center who scores from rebounds, dunks, in the post to analyze curry and Durant who both shoot from the perimeter. What the absolute fucck. Shaq isn't shooting threes or midrange.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 11:10am On Feb 21, 2017
Decale:

Nope. Still won't regardless of his numbers

Can you tell me which PG Curry is more consistent or have more impact than?

Wall, Thomas, WB, Harden are carrying their teams like crazy. Lowry held the Raptors steady in deRozan's absence. CP3 is CP3 and Kyrie (who Curry may be better than) has saved Cavs more this season than Curry.

Curry can go 10 games missing and Warriors would still win. But once those PGs up there play bad, the whole team does.

Curry is still good. I adore him and love it when he's on fire but without the MVP to his name, he's having a Kemba Walker peak season.

Analysts, pundits and common twitter followers rarely put him in top 5 PG this season. I've seen a lot of list and Curry hardly makes the cut.

1. Ofcourse, in every ramifications, numbers don't tell the whole story. But Curry's numbers this season are equivalent to his numbers his first MVP season. So it is either the standard of the NBA for PGs rose, or your expectations of Curry did. I go for the latter.

2. More consistent and impact are words anyone can throw about but their teams position WRT their contribution is what matters. So far Harden, WB and Isaiah Thomas are the only people I would put above Curry based on that criteria. The other names you bandy about are personal preference and I can prove it.

3. Curry can go 10 games missing depends on how you define missing. He is no longer the primary scorer of the team- KD is. He has played more games this season as a spot-up shooter compared to 2 seasons ago. GSW are renowned for moving the ball around better and more than any team so assists will go neither here nor there. I guess you catch my drift. The question you should ask yourself is which player on the Warriors team can go 10 games missing and the Warriors would face Ls? Perhaps only Draymond. If you doubt it, check the games GSW played where KD or Klay had below par games.

4. Which means a Kemba Walker peak season is better than a Kyrie peak season? grin

5. Moot. The Pundits and Journalists (as well as fellow NBA players) voted to select the All-Star team. He finished 3rd behind Russell and Harden in both categories.

Again, I understand what you mean IF you say he is not last season's Curry. People always expect more from him. I took a trip down the stat sheets and saw the PPGs of previous NBA finals MVPs. Curry's 26.6 of 2015 was better than close to 85%+ of all previous winners. Yet all we keep hearing is how he doesn't play well in finals.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 11:11am On Feb 21, 2017
Donlittle:
This chick is using a center who scores from rebounds, dunks, in the post to analyze curry and Durant who both shoot from the perimeter. What the absolute fucck. Shaq isn't shooting threes or midrange.

LOL. Now you catch my drift when I say "from a more knowledgeable poster" I would respond.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:18am On Feb 21, 2017
Eruditor:

LOL. Now you catch my drift when I say "from a more knowledgeable poster" I would respond.
I'm just confused. What the absolute fucck. Curry and Durant, green, klay can all handle the ball. They bring the ball down the court sometimes. Any right thinking person that watches the game should understand it will happen. The Phoenix Suns, Nash was the primary ball handler, heck that dude wasnt scoring as much point as curry is now if am not mistaken.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 11:20am On Feb 21, 2017
Decale:

1. Do they need to be? When KD was not at GSW, Curry needed to bring it game in game out. These days he coasts when his input is not needed. Please look out for games that KD doesn't play well. Apart from the odd days here and there where Klay carried the team, it was always Curry. That's why I said always measure it with respect to what his team needs him to be.

2. Lol @ Lowry or Wall. They have great games and their teams still lose. So what exactly is their impact? They are the primary scorers of their respective teams (especially when Derozan is unfit). Every single shot and play goes through them. So except you have a way of measuring consistency. The only thing you are going to say is that they score more points and even that would be wrong based on the averages.

3. If his influence on games was as little as you claim, why is it that when he missed 11 3s against Denver, GSW lost? When he made only 15 points against Cavs, GSW lost? He scored 40 points or so against Sacramento and missed a clutch lay-up and GSW lost. Now look for games where KD didn't play well. GSW won 90% of those games. Check it. Leave sentiments aside too.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 11:21am On Feb 21, 2017
Donlittle:
I'm just confused. What the absolute fucck. Curry and Durant, green, klay can all handle the ball. They bring the ball down the court sometimes. Any right thinking person that watches the game should understand it will happen. The Phoenix Suns, Nash was the primary ball handler, heck that dude wasnt scoring as much point as curry is now if am not mistaken.

To her, if Bogut attempts 1 3pt and makes it making his 3pt % 100 for the season, he is a better 3pt shooter than Curry whose average might be 40% but who has made over 210 3pts all season.
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 11:27am On Feb 21, 2017
Eruditor:

So let's check your honest-o-meter.

Would you rate Kyrie top 5 this season? grin

Already said Curry is better than him this season. You can scroll up if you missed it
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 21, 2017
Eruditor:

To her, if Bogut attempts 1 3pt and makes it making his 3pt % 100 for the season, he is a better 3pt shooter than Curry whose average might be 40% but who has made over 210 3pts all season.
Thats why old school players hate analytics lol. I swear anything less than a sweep from Golden State in the finals, I will be disappointed
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 21, 2017
Is she saying Nash is a better three point shooter than curry?
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 11:55am On Feb 21, 2017
Eruditor, your posts is all about points per game like that's the measure of how good you are.

Lebron last season and this season average same number of points. Does it mean he's the same level this season?

Lebron's best season ever was 26ppg at Heat. He had averaged 30points twice at Cleveland. Does it mean he played better?

Will you say Curry this season is better than his first MVP season even with higher ppg? No

Did Kobe with 35ppg in 2006 have a better season than Nash, the MVP? No

Did Iguodala have higher points than Curry in the finals? No

Is Brook Lopez better than Gasol cos he scores 20 a game? No

Player and Media voted Curry 3rd in Western CONFERENCE and he's really behind. The two conferences weren't collated. How many good PGs are in the West? Isn't CP3 injured?

Stop all these points, points like that decides how one player is better. I can fill a 1000 page book on where points ain't a good metric. Wiggins and Melo, Hayward and George, etc .

Curry season is good, like others having good seasons. But he's definitely not better than Harden, WB, Thomas, Wall, Lowry and the injured CP3. You shouldn't average that much and be missing in almost half of your games. Antetokounpo that averages less doesn't. Look at his "rival" Lebron, lol

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 12:21pm On Feb 21, 2017
Decale:
Eruditor, your posts is all about points per game like that's the measure of how good you are.

Lebron last season and this season average same number of points. Does it mean he's the same level this season?

Lebron's best season ever was 26ppg at Heat. He had averaged 30points twice at Cleveland. Does it mean he played better?

Will you say Curry this season is better than his first MVP season even with higher ppg? No

Did Kobe with 35ppg in 2006 have a better season than Nash, the MVP? No

Did Iguodala have higher points than Curry in the finals? No

Is Brook Lopez better than Gasol cos he scores 20 a game? No

Player and Media voted Curry 3rd in Western CONFERENCE and he's really behind. The two conferences weren't collated. How many good PGs are in the West? Isn't CP3 injured?

Stop all these points, points like that decides how one player is better. I can fill a 1000 page book on where points ain't a good metric. Wiggins and Melo, Hayward and George, etc .

Curry season is good, like others having good seasons. But he's definitely not better than Harden, WB, Thomas, Wall, Lowry and the injured CP3. You shouldn't average that much and be missing in almost half of your games. Antetokounpo that averages less doesn't. Look at his "rival" Lebron, lol

Baba, I charge you to THINK.

My points are not about points per game don't whittle it down to that. How do they influence games Wall and Kyle? If they always gave more assists per game it will reflect in the number. If they scored more, same. If they stole the ball more, same.

What you are trying to say is that they are more valuable to their teams this season than Curry has been to GSW. If that is your argument, I can agree but there are ways to justify it hence why we mention "Primary handler, Primary scorer" to you. Has Curry been the primary handler overall this season? No. Primary scorer nko? No. So with those 2 alone his "influence" will not be the same when compared to last season or the latter season before it. Even if CP3 was playing, he is, overall, both of those criteria to his own team and as such his influence for them will be more. But what is his team's position even with him playing?

If your argument is also "remove Curry and GSW will still win games". I can as well tell you to remove KD and nothing will change. Same as Klay, Iggy, Shaun or Zaza. So overall, perhaps only Draymond has that much influence on the team.

I know some other person will say what about KDs blocks per game? Yea, those are important but McGee could have given the same blocks only with less creative offense on the other end. Same way, Curry will give more 3s, assists and headache to oppositon defence than KD but with less length and defense on the other end. It could go either ways.

So again, it is not about numbers. You are only comparing Curry to who he was last season.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 12:24pm On Feb 21, 2017
Donlittle:
Thats why old school players hate analytics lol. I swear anything less than a sweep from Golden State in the finals, I will be disappointed

Roland thinks GSW fans got defensive but what he doesn't know is that even with a sweep this season that last season will haunt me forever. The finals was looking easier than the 2015 one and somehow GSW capitulated.
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 12:42pm On Feb 21, 2017
Donlittle:
Is she saying Nash is a better three point shooter than curry?

I believe you dont hve an eye problem

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 12:50pm On Feb 21, 2017
Eruditor:

Guy, you get energy o.
Hmm, I catch your drift well now cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 12:54pm On Feb 21, 2017
SmooshCHN:
All these stories just to say Kevin Durant has no influence on GSW offense?. Or is Durant is same as Harrison Barnes? No one is discrediting any of those mentioned players and I said like twice Harden is MVP. We're talking top 5 PG not best PG. Of which Harden and Westbrook are candidates. We're not discussing MVP status. Curry's number shouldn't drop even when KD is there? Please don't say this in public.

You brought the MVP talk na. " Y'all won't respect the fact he's a two time MVP so maybe I should break it down"
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 12:55pm On Feb 21, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if the hatred or disrespect is so high that some can't think clearly. Put Curry on the Raptors, Wizards, Celtics or Cavs does the team improve? If you're questioning his drop in numbers from last season it owes to KD joining and nothing else.. Playoffs is a different talk tho. cheesy

Drop your top 5 let's see na..
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 1:03pm On Feb 21, 2017
lolawilliams:

You brought the MVP talk na. " Y'all won't respect the fact he's a two time MVP so maybe I should break it down"
Now we're discussing English after your blunder with KD having nothing to do with slump in Curry's numbers. A kid who started watching basketball yesterday shouldn't say something like that. He set the bar too high and it became a problem when he's performing close to equal PGs in today's game. I'll sleep on your words next time.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 21, 2017
lolawilliams:

I believe you dont hve an eye problem
I don't, you said "his shooting remained sharp, the accuracy of his shooting was on par with his 2005–06 MVP campaign (shooting at least 50% from the field, 40% from the three-point arc, and 90% from the free throw line)."

And I ask solely because of that, do you think because his shooting percentage means he is a better shooter than curry. Nash probably shoots 5 threes a game, most likely less than by the way so his shooting percentage will be higher. Like erudite said because Dwight Chuck's up two threes s year and makes one and he is 50% from three don't mean he is a better shooter. Most times, we are looking at how many times they are shooting and how often.
Re: The NBA Begins by lolawilliams(f): 1:09pm On Feb 21, 2017
SmooshCHN:
Now we're discussing English after your blunder with KD having nothing to do with slump in Curry's numbers. A kid who started watching basketball yesterday shouldn't say something like that. He set the bar too high and it became a problem when he's performing close to equal PGs in today's game. I'll sleep on your words next time.

You're a butthurt Warriors fan, Its obvious.
Idk if curry's 43 pts n 29 minutes during the win over the Clippers is still making you rate him this much. He's not even in my top5 pg, but def in my top10 were you'd find Bledsoe and kemba
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:15pm On Feb 21, 2017
lolawilliams:

You're a butthurt Warriors fan, Its obvious.
Idk if curry's 43 pts n 29 minutes during the win over the Clippers is still making you rate him this much. He's not even in my top5 pg, but def in my top10 were you'd find Bledsoe and kemba
grin grin

If you say he isn't in your top 5 but in top 10, we will say okay, but after putting him with bledsoe and kemba it's obvious you are trolling. Well done.

(1) (2) (3) ... (435) (436) (437) (438) (439) (440) (441) ... (2216) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.