Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,751 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (494) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1635521 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) ... (2219) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 3:36pm On Apr 26, 2017
SIRcumalot:

plus the 200million extension only the clippers can offer.
doc is the one that has to leave.

That team is injury ridden

Clippers can't go far even in 5 years with the fragile players they have
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 5:15pm On Apr 26, 2017
Your teammates help you play defence. You get a rebound, pound your best friend (the spalding) upcourt and launch what may have been a vacuous 3 from 4ft beyond the arc. You are in rhythm so it swooshes. You beat your chest and yell no one can guard you.

This system of play happens for the next 3 or 4 possessions which places your team 6-12 points ahead of the opposing team. Your coach notices fatigue might creep in so he rests you for the last 5mins of the quarter. Your teammates begin the same system again: play defence, sometimes force a TO and then head upcourt but they no longer have you to attempt your athletic and incredible plays. They move the ball laterally and vertically till they find what should be an open man. He is off rhythm (because he has barely shot all game) so he clangs the rim and the opposing team rush out on a fastbreak or something, and they may or may not make a play that results in a bucket. One thing that works for them, however, is that they are almost guaranteed your teammates will make nothing of their own possession and before you know it, the 6-12point lead you garnered for your team, fritters away.

Everyone blames your teammates for letting you down - it is the easiest analysis to make. Nobody realises how low-heat they have been all game, helping you play defense but not joining in the offence.

Some are recommending you go elsewhere. God forbid! Which team needs your delicious poison? The one where you are +15 when playing and your team becomes -44 when you are off (but people are oblivious to the fact that when you were +15 your team was still losing on the scoreboard).

You are an enigma, but your brand of heroics will leave the city decimated and in disrepair. You will give us water when we are thirsty and still drown us by overgiving us the same water. You will tell the media you believe in us, but you would play like you don't. Look at the last 4, 4th quarters of the games you played. Racked up assists from quarters 1 through 3 only to have almost none in other consecutive 4th quarters.

Your supporters say you are Mr clutch. I have to believe them now considering your career high 4/18, 2/11 and so on 4th quarters in this series. You were really clutching on, to prove that people will overlook your many flaws if you can pretend the only reason you have them, is because you were trying to help.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:28pm On Apr 26, 2017
You know your team is shyte when Victor Oladipo is your #2

Oladipo was 4/17 last night. That is less than 25%!!! Kanter who should be their front court savior can't even get on the court cos a new born impala can defend the PnR better than him. Lmaooo even Michael Jordan cannot survive that kind of incompetence.

Meanwhile James Harden can go 8/25 on the night of an elimination game knowing fully well that with 20 shots Nene and Lou Williams can generate 35-40pts. Even Patrick Beverley who looks more like a crackhead than an NBA player can shoot 60%.

Westbrook is literally like a single mom with 14 kids. He better leave OKC before it is too late. LeBron did it, K.D did it, Pierce, K.G and Allen combined and formed a team. Nobody questioned their street cred and heaven did not fall. It would be easier to blend his game to be a 2nd weapon on another contender. Than to shorten his career trying to carry these bums beyond their level
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:46pm On Apr 26, 2017
Games 1, 2 and 5 Oladipo was 9/43. I'm crying fam
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:14am On Apr 27, 2017
Decale:

I'm sure you know that's sarcasm shocked

I figured that out later. But the strokes were preordained, so grin
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:19am On Apr 27, 2017
A40:

Oladipo is a scorer. And he needs touches to get going. He just never looked comfortable all series. If theres a way to escape okc, i would. I now see Durants point of view. Westbrook will triple double for the next 3 seasons and never leave the first round
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 3:23am On Apr 27, 2017
Why is horford beating his chest biko
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 5:09am On Apr 27, 2017
nobody can say crazy sheet about hoford in this game. I only watched the 2nd half and he played well.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:38am On Apr 27, 2017
SIRcumalot:
nobody can say crazy sheet about hoford in this game. I only watched the 2nd half and he played well.
He's on a $26m last time I checked. This is how he should play every night.

Absence of Rondo really swung this tie in the Celtics favor
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:01am On Apr 27, 2017
birdman:

Oladipo is a scorer. And he needs touches to get going. He just never looked comfortable all series. If theres a way to escape okc, i would. I now see Durants point of view. Westbrook will triple double for the next 3 seasons and never leave the first round
Oladipo is largely a slasher. I would liken him offensively to a poor man's D.Wade, however he has never really been a consistent scorer. He had a 50pt game but that was about it. He can't do what Giannis for example is doing with the Bucks. Oladipo is not your #2 guy on any team that wants to contend for a chip whether he leaves OKC or not it makes no difference. What sticks to me is that Oladipo had 43 shots in 3 road games and only made 9. That is ABYSMAL

Westbrook hustling for TD does not explain why a small forward is shooting 2/21 from the free throw line. Why your most skilled big can't defend the Pick n Roll and why Oladipo is shooting 4/17 in an elimination game. Even if they take out Westbrook and insert LeBron, vs same Houston or teams with similar depths and strengths they will not pass that first round. Quote me anywhere
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 8:59am On Apr 27, 2017
Damn Lou Williams had 22ppg off the bench in that series.

I don't care what anybody says. He should win 6th man...
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 9:35am On Apr 27, 2017
DPOY - Draymond Green

6th man - Lou Williams

Most Improved Player - So many improved this season. Jokic is my leading candidate followed closely by Conley

MVP - Still Kawhi for me

Rookie of the year - Brogdon

Coach of the year- It's between Brooks/D'antoni/Poppovich. I'll give it to Poppovich but D'Antoni is NBA's most likely winner.

First team all NBA - Harden/Westbrook/Kawhi/Bron/Gobert

Second team all NBA - IT/Curry/Durant/Draymond/Cousins

Third team
Wall/Derozan/Giannis/Davis/KAT

I need your predictions

Cc: Everybody
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 1:35pm On Apr 27, 2017
Eruditor:
Your teammates help you play defence. You get a rebound, pound your best friend (the spalding) upcourt and launch what may have been a vacuous 3 from 4ft beyond the arc. You are in rhythm so it swooshes. You beat your chest and yell no one can guard you.

This system of play happens for the next 3 or 4 possessions which places your team 6-12 points ahead of the opposing team. Your coach notices fatigue might creep in so he rests you for the last 5mins of the quarter. Your teammates begin the same system again: play defence, sometimes force a TO and then head upcourt but they no longer have you to attempt your athletic and incredible plays. They move the ball laterally and vertically till they find what should be an open man. He is off rhythm (because he has barely shot all game) so he clangs the rim and the opposing team rush out on a fastbreak or something, and they may or may not make a play that results in a bucket. One thing that works for them, however, is that they are almost guaranteed your teammates will make nothing of their own possession and before you know it, the 6-12point lead you garnered for your team, fritters away.

Everyone blames your teammates for letting you down - it is the easiest analysis to make. Nobody realises how low-heat they have been all game, helping you play defense but not joining in the offence.

Some are recommending you go elsewhere. God forbid! Which team needs your delicious poison? The one where you are +15 when playing and your team becomes -44 when you are off (but people are oblivious to the fact that when you were +15 your team was still losing on the scoreboard).

You are an enigma, but your brand of heroics will leave the city decimated and in disrepair. You will give us water when we are thirsty and still drown us by overgiving us the same water. You will tell the media you believe in us, but you would play like you don't. Look at the last 4, 4th quarters of the games you played. Racked up assists from quarters 1 through 3 only to have almost none in other consecutive 4th quarters.

Your supporters say you are Mr clutch. I have to believe them now considering your career high 4/18, 2/11 and so on 4th quarters in this series. You were really clutching on, to prove that people will overlook your many flaws if you can pretend the only reason you have them, is because you were trying to help.

Very well put. Pretty much summed up my feelings on this. Westbrook is fools gold.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 1:43pm On Apr 27, 2017
A40:

Oladipo is largely a slasher. I would liken him offensively to a poor man's D.Wade, however he has never really been a consistent scorer. He had a 50pt game but that was about it. He can't do what Giannis for example is doing with the Bucks. Oladipo is not your #2 guy on any team that wants to contend for a chip whether he leaves OKC or not it makes no difference. What sticks to me is that Oladipo had 43 shots in 3 road games and only made 9. That is ABYSMAL

Westbrook hustling for TD does not explain why a small forward is shooting 2/21 from the free throw line. Why your most skilled big can't defend the Pick n Roll and why Oladipo is shooting 4/17 in an elimination game. Even if they take out Westbrook and insert LeBron, vs same Houston or teams with similar depths and strengths they will not pass that first round. Quote me anywhere

My point is this: oladipo is 9 of 43 because majority of those shots were not in rhythm. Having a one man show and everyone else running up and down the court with no shot attempts is a great way to ice your own team.

I will go even further and say the big men didnt put 100% into this series.Its psychological..you play to the level of your reward. If your pg wont feed you on the offensive end, even your defense suffers.

I hope wb repents after this season, but I doubt it. All the sportswriters who mistakenly voted him as mvp are busy trying to justify their error. And few reporters are saying the truth the not so young man needs to hear

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 3:40pm On Apr 27, 2017
birdman:

My point is this: oladipo is 9 of 43 because majority of those shots were not in rhythm. Having a one man show and everyone else running up and down the court with no shot attempts is a great way to ice your own team.

I will go even further and say the big men didnt put 100% into this series.Its psychological..you play to the level of your reward. If your pg wont feed you on the offensive end, even your defense suffers.

I hope wb repents after this season, but I doubt it. All the sportswriters who mistakenly voted him as mvp are busy trying to justify their error. And few reporters are saying the truth the not so young man needs to hear
just for my amusement,
I hope he doesn't change next season and even ramp up his "style" let see if he can repeat has MVP.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:01pm On Apr 27, 2017
birdman:

You can't tell me all 17 shots Oladipo took were out of rhythm. There is no amount of rhythm that would turn Oladipo to even Lou Williams. How do you have rhythm when you keep clanging bricks? The important thing is there is tangible statistical evidence that shows Harden's teammates did their job with or without Harden's help.

Haha these excuses are getting out of hand. What is Steven Adams's calling card? Offense or defense? Is it not the same Adams we saw missing layups? Even if you insist Adams is the new and improved Olajuwon does that justify his being cooked by a 45 year old Nenê who shot 85% over the series? There is a baseline performance any self respecting Center should drop never mind one on an 8 figure salary. Adams didn't come close

That OKC team me I dey see even John Stockton couldn't assist them. If I were to select MVP based on this series alone, James Harden would never get it.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 5:04pm On Apr 27, 2017
A40:

Oladipo was satan-awful in the series there is no denying that but his game could have been elevated if RW had willed it.

Last season after the all stars, Oladipo averaged near 20ppg and many thought this season would be his break out. After all, he was drafted only behind CJ McCollum who is looking the real deal now. But for some reason Oladipo appears to have regressed.

Russell is a great player- that has never been my argument. My argument is that he has "elevated" his game at the expense of his teammates and the L column in terms of games played is his reward.
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 5:07pm On Apr 27, 2017
A40:

You can't tell me all 17 shots Oladipo took were out of rhythm. There is no amount of rhythm that would turn Oladipo to even Lou Williams. How do you have rhythm when you keep clanging bricks? The important thing is there is tangible statistical evidence that shows Harden's teammates did their job with or without Harden's help.

Haha these excuses are getting out of hand. What is Steven Adams's calling card? Offense or defense? Is it not the same Adams we saw missing layups? Even if you insist Adams is the new and improved Olajuwon does that justify his being cooked by a 45 year old Nenê who shot 85% over the series? There is a baseline performance any self respecting Center should drop never mind one on an 8 figure salary. Adams didn't come close

That OKC team me I dey see even John Stockton couldn't assist them. If I were to select MVP based on this series alone, James Harden would never get it.

Russell's FG was 38%. His other mates combined? 47%

Russell's 3pt% was 26.5%. His other teammates combined? 35%.

Andre Roberson was hammered for missing FTs but do you know he is the single reason Harden shot poorly all series? Defensively he did a number on Harden and offensively he shot the 3 ball way better than RW.

There are always 2 sides to this thing. Russell should have trusted his teammates more no matter what.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 5:17pm On Apr 27, 2017
Russell had KD on his team and he kept shooting the ball more times than KD. That is typical Russell.

In Houston, Ryan Anderson had a bad series but he kept receiving the ball all series long. I remember when Korver came to Cavs and experienced some shooting slump and he asked Lebron how he could help the team, Bron told him "as long as you have the ball in your hands, shoot it". That is how to get your teammates involved.

Harrison Barnes was 5/32 against Cavs because he kept receiving the ball (regardless of GSWs ball movement). We didn't see Curry and Klay shooting 34 and 43 shots because Harrison Barnes and co were letting them down.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 5:46pm On Apr 27, 2017
Eruditor:

Russell's FG was 38%. His other mates combined? 47%

Russell's 3pt% was 26.5%. His other teammates combined? 35%.

Andre Roberson was hammered for missing FTs but do you know he is the single reason Harden shot poorly all series? Defensively he did a number on Harden and offensively he shot the 3 ball way better than RW.

There are always 2 sides to this thing. Russell should have trusted his teammates more no matter what.
Hahahaha. So who was guarding Westbrook on the other end? Or you think he just shot 38% on his own. No! Patrick Beverley did a job on him and what's worse Patrick Beverley had 21pts in Game 1, was 6 of 10 in Game 5! Patrick Beverley y'all.

Harden didn't play better than Westbrook. The key difference is he had HELP.

Lou Williams 22ppg
Nenê 85 FG% in the series
Patrick Beverley 14.5ppg

Can you boldly tell us the stats of Westbrook's teammates individually? Maybe 3 of them at random and not the community analysis you are doing.

Good that you mentioned Roberson. My suprise is that you omitted his 2/21 FT shooting

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:12pm On Apr 27, 2017
Eruditor:

Oladipo was satan-awful in the series there is no denying that but his game could have been elevated if RW had willed it.

Last season after the all stars, Oladipo averaged near 20ppg and many thought this season would be his break out. After all, he was drafted only behind CJ McCollum who is looking the real deal now. But for some reason Oladipo appears to have regressed.

Russell is a great player- that has never been my argument. My argument is that he has "elevated" his game at the expense of his teammates and the L column in terms of games played is his reward.
You no like Will Smith. RW is a basketballer not a magician. Westbrook cannot be held responsible for Oladipo shooting 5pts below his regular season average. When would you guys hold Oladipo accountable for shooting under 25% from the field on the road. If una even talk say this was his debut post season and the magnitude of the occasion got to him that is even slightly more acceptable. On the flipside what did Harden will out of Nene or Lou Williams? Haba! Diarriz God oh

Oladipo's pts are the same from Orlando to OKC so I don't know which regression you mean. A guy makes only 4 shots out of the 17 he took but it is somehow Westbrook's fault. Unfassbar

I pray he leaves OKC. I want to see that player that would come and turn Oladipo, Roberson and Adams to World Champions
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:49pm On Apr 27, 2017
Eruditor:
Russell had KD on his team and he kept shooting the ball more times than KD. That is typical Russell.

In Houston, Ryan Anderson had a bad series but he kept receiving the ball all series long. I remember when Korver came to Cavs and experienced some shooting slump and he asked Lebron how he could help the team, Bron told him "as long as you have the ball in your hands, shoot it". That is how to get your teammates involved.

Harrison Barnes was 5/32 against Cavs because he kept receiving the ball (regardless of GSWs ball movement). We didn't see Curry and Klay shooting 34 and 43 shots because Harrison Barnes and co were letting them down.

I'm not blind to Westbrook's faults. He takes a little too many shots and could manage the 4th quarters better but when Westbrook starts getting blame for other guys simply not doing their job then we have to call una to order. When old man Nenê is shooting 85% percent, Oladipo averaging 9.8ppg but Westbrook is still getting blamed. I no gree that one

Go and check Ryan's minutes in that series. On his bad nights he barely went past 20mins. He played for just 19 in one of them. In Games 4 and 5 he only had a combined 11 shots. Why would any team that is not mad keep feeding a cold shooter in the playoffs? So no they didn't keep feeding him the ball

32 shots in 7 games is still less than 5 per game. You are making my argument for me with the Barnes example. If your role player is shooting at 10percent then whether you take 20 or shoot 40. You would still LOSE.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 7:15pm On Apr 27, 2017
OKC is out. Blame no one, not even the so called scrubs he played with. They weren't even a team before playoffs as uncle always went for stats and not even looking if his team grew. They mumu teammates were hailing him as MVP when he kept playing alone and didn't feed them all season long. I'm shocked none of them complained about not getting touches all season long. I expected this during playoffs and I'm glad I wasn't wrong. The Donovan guy is useless. I'm sure you can't go 2/21 under Pop or Kerr half season and don't get traded or developed.
KD left and the best the franchise could do to distract themselves from pain was to make a new hero, give him more money and keep riding the TDs and MVP candidate and the Celebrity Westbrook is doing a good job playing the role. Great Story if he gets MVP. And that's enough for their fans and franchise.
Here is what separates LeBron, MJ even Olajuwan from Westbrook. They won't let you put up horrible performances like that. You'll workout with them till day break and get assigned to a trainer or better still get traded. But fúck no. As long as I'm playing great I've done my part.

The franchise isn't ready. Harden and KD knew this.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 27, 2017
OKC one time
Westbrook
Durant
Harden
Serge Ibaka
Reggie Jackson

And all those 4 left for nothing and now you're complaining Westbrook has no help. That brother can't get better than he already has now. He better learn to start working with them and this time as a teammate who thinks he can win with them if that's ever possible.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 10:25pm On Apr 27, 2017
SmooshCHN1:
OKC is out. Blame no one, not even the so called scrubs he played with. They weren't even a team before playoffs as uncle always went for stats and not even looking if his team grew. They mumu teammates were hailing him as MVP when he kept playing alone and didn't feed them all season long. I'm shocked none of them complained about not getting touches all season long. I expected this during playoffs and I'm glad I wasn't wrong. The Donovan guy is useless. I'm sure you can't go 2/21 under Pop or Kerr half season and don't get traded or developed.
KD left and the best the franchise could do to distract themselves from pain was to make a new hero, give him more money and keep riding the TDs and MVP candidate and the Celebrity Westbrook is doing a good job playing the role. Great Story if he gets MVP. And that's enough for their fans and franchise.
Here is what separates LeBron, MJ even Olajuwan from Westbrook. They won't let you put up horrible performances like that. You'll workout with them till day break and get assigned to a trainer or better still get traded. But fúck no. As long as I'm playing great I've done my part.

The franchise isn't ready. Harden and KD knew this.

You got a point there. If wb cared more about team than stats, he would have called out folks long ago. Its almost like he gets his triple dubs and hes good, even if the rest of the team sucks

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 10:26pm On Apr 27, 2017
Anyways sha make we leave wb alone.

How about them raptors. Can they put away the bucks for good? Awon cavs dey wait ooooo grin
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 10:33pm On Apr 27, 2017
birdman:
Anyways sha make we leave wb alone.

How about them raptors. Can they put away the bucks for good? Awon cavs dey wait ooooo grin

lol@wb....
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 12:45am On Apr 28, 2017
If rather the bucks than Raptors. That team is so vulnerable especially mentally. No one is bothered about the Celtics for known reasons but I hope they have surprises.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 12:47am On Apr 28, 2017
birdman:

You got a point there. If wb cared more about team than stats, he would have called out folks long ago. Its almost like he gets his triple dubs and hes good, even if the rest of the team sucks
Nuff Said

Part 2 is here guys cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRv_NZxzYDQ

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:04am On Apr 28, 2017
Teammate not mother. No wonder ninjas called Westbrook a single mom

LeBron with Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Frye, J.R Smith was still crying for help mid-season but una dey expect magic from Westbrook

He was outgunned and lost to a hopelessly overmatched team but still made the series competitive. Shikena
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:27am On Apr 28, 2017
A40:
Teammate not mother. No wonder ninjas called Westbrook a single mom

LeBron with Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, Frye, J.R Smith was still crying for help mid-season but una dey expect magic from Westbrook

He was outgunned and lost to a hopelessly overmatched team but still made the series competitive. Shikena

Even with the all star assembly, and perimeter shooting Lebron finished 2nd in the eastern conference, yet people have a problem with Westbrook leading the Thunder to a 6th spot in the western conference, all because of his triple double. Aye ma ni ika oh!!!

I have maintained my indifference to who wins the MVP (if anything, i am leaning towards Harden), except he plays at the TD Garden, however, undermining WB's candidature because of his triple double is pathetic, and cheap.

This season, Steve Kerr became the fastest coach in NBA history to record 200 wins, would it be fair to undermine his input and argue any coach could have achieved the same record or even better that record coaching Curry, Klay, Durant, Green and a very potent bench in the NBA?

In my opinion it would be unfair to do that.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 1:42am On Apr 28, 2017
SmooshCHN1:
Nuff Said

Part 2 is here guys cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRv_NZxzYDQ

Rio don comot league? Wao shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (491) (492) (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) ... (2219) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.