Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,743 members, 7,824,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (497) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1635477 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) ... (2219) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 4:43am On Apr 29, 2017
birdman:

After wetin klitcshko do my man samuel peter? Na joshua na.

Joshua got quicker hands but klitschko has more knockout power. I think thats why Joshua is weighing in 10lbs more...im betting its all muscle so he can put more firepower behind his quick shots
Naa can't even remember the last time Klitschko knocked anybody out. Unless Joshua's chin is made from papier mache he should be upright

Joshua looks jacked! Just like Fury he has the edge in size. Would be disappointed if Joshua doesn't send Klitschko into retirement. Even Samuel Peter knocked Klitschko down thrice in their first fight before they involved home cooking
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 4:51am On Apr 29, 2017
wish Rondo never went down this,Celtics-bulls game for make better sense.

it is time for Wade to retire.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 6:23am On Apr 29, 2017
The clippers force game 7. grin
Warriors go don dey happy.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 6:26am On Apr 29, 2017
Clips live to fight another day!
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 6:34am On Apr 29, 2017
SIRcumalot:
The clippers force game 7. grin
Warriors go don dey happy.
cheesy grin cheesy
Chai!! Another sweep loading.. Utah has what it takes but I want Clippers to qualify so bad cheesy

Utah's slow pace is a threat for us.

Chris Paul better win game 7
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 7:03am On Apr 29, 2017
SmooshCHN1:
cheesy grin cheesy
Chai!! Another sweep loading.. Utah has what it takes but I want Clippers to qualify so bad cheesy

Lol...warrior fans are yam heads...ur judgement is coming tongue
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 10:23am On Apr 29, 2017
SmooshCHN1:
cheesy grin cheesy

the clipper fit go lose game 7 for house,na so them dey do.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:50am On Apr 29, 2017
birdman:

I wanted to say something Savage then I remembered my confidence when we were up 3-1 embarassed embarassed
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 12:09pm On Apr 29, 2017
A40:

Ol boy I should take your opinion over that of designated statisticians? I tire oh. There are stats that distinguish between Beverley and other teammates defensive efforts and you want me to accept your Telemundo. Beverley singlehandedly forced more turnovers than his teammates. Westbrook shot 15% lower while being guarded by him but keep talking about double and triple teams as if people compiling can't tell the difference.

And those leads were down to who? You mean D'Antoni sets his team to chase the game every time? Is he psychic to know Oladipo would shoot 4/17? Are you hearing yourself at all? D'Antoni knew Nene would shoot 100%? Coaches in typical game situations just go with the hot hand or hot rotation as the game rolls along. That is why Dwight Howard tonight did not play the entire 4th quarter of an elimination game. This is not football, the starter/bench concept is not the same. Certain players are just on the bench for show and vice versa. That is why Lue can sit Love and Kyrie the entire 4th quarter of a playoff game

Anyway I no dey for your unverifiable 'What if' Telemundo.

LOL. I proved you did not watch those games. You used uppercase to claim by himself in game 5 and I showed you it was over the whole series. The point was to show you that if you watched those games you would have seen it.

And I did not argue with the stats they presented I simply interpreted it better. Beverley did not force 5 TOs out of Russell in one game. Beverley did not make Russell shoot 7/27 in game 5. We can agree that that is a fact and the telemundo version would be the argument that Beverley did all that BY HIMSELF in game 5.

Again even routinely watching Ximo Pierto or NBA conference's highlight reels will show bodies on Russell almost each time he went for a layup or dunk. I cannot believe this is being argued.

Then as per Oladipo, you don't want to accept that he has never been a catch and shoot player. He is forced to play that way when Russell is on the court. Sure, Oladipo did not shoot well but neither did Russell in the 4th quarter. So why absolve him and blame the rest of his mates because he had 15/34 or 18/40?

How do coaches know Lebron can influence a game or that Ray Allen should shoot the last shot? How did Lue know Harrison Barnes will be 5/32? Is it not something they devise and if it fails it fails? So what is wrong in assuming that Mike did same? Or he could not because WB must be exonerated by all means?
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 12:12pm On Apr 29, 2017
birdman:

TBH I am tired of the clips. I really do not want to play them. My only confidence stems from the fact that Blake is out and that they have no response for KD. I think playing against Utah would force my boys to step it up but whoever we get at this point is ok by me grin
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 3:27pm On Apr 29, 2017
wow...so ona like OKC like this.....Dont think the team is that bad tho...the players didnt just step up but i call on Sam Priestly to please add one more superstar next season to our team amd strengthen, i repeat...strengthen our bench.......

#THUNDERUP

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:39pm On Apr 29, 2017
Eruditor:

LOL. I proved you did not watch those games. You used uppercase to claim by himself in game 5 and I showed you it was over the whole series. The point was to show you that if you watched those games you would have seen it.

And I did not argue with the stats they presented I simply interpreted it better. Beverley did not force 5 TOs out of Russell in one game. Beverley did not make Russell shoot 7/27 in game 5. We can agree that that is a fact and the telemundo version would be the argument that Beverley did all that BY HIMSELF in game 5.

Again even routinely watching Ximo Pierto or NBA conference's highlight reels will show bodies on Russell almost each time he went for a layup or dunk. I cannot believe this is being argued.

Then as per Oladipo, you don't want to accept that he has never been a catch and shoot player. He is forced to play that way when Russell is on the court. Sure, Oladipo did not shoot well but neither did Russell in the 4th quarter. So why absolve him and blame the rest of his mates because he had 15/34 or 18/40?

How do coaches know Lebron can influence a game or that Ray Allen should shoot the last shot? How did Lue know Harrison Barnes will be 5/32? Is it not something they devise and if it fails it fails? So what is wrong in assuming that Mike did same? Or he could not because WB must be exonerated by all means?
You that saw the Rockets keep pumping the ball to Ryan Anderson despite taking fewer shots than his regular season average is claiming you proved I didn't watch the game. Wehdone sir

Lost in translation is your inability to prove Patrick Beverley was not the Rockets singular most important and impactful defender on Westbrook.

You are talking random highlights we are talking actual stats dedicated to each player's individual contributions. Smh

Why do you have this annoying habit of crediting me with statements I didn't make? Am I not the one who likened Oladipo's game to Wade's, Giannis? I don't need you to explain Oladipo's playing style to me. Show us how many catch and shoot shots Oladipo had to make, or how often he got the ball late in the clock. So we might at least see if you even have an argument.

I'm sure if we check Harden's shooting compared to his teammates it might be even worse than Westbrook's. Drawing less attention shouldn't Westbrook's teammates be shooting at a higher clip?

I no dey for your 'what if' assumption Telemundo. Last I checked you are not a Rockets coaching staff
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:19pm On Apr 29, 2017
Shame inasmuch as I loathe Rondo. His injury just drained the life out of the Celts vs Bulls series and killed it as a contest. Want to see if they have an answer for John Wall. The guy is on some other shyte in terms of scoring and efficiency, the whole nine
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 9:26pm On Apr 29, 2017
A40:

You that saw the Rockets keep pumping the ball to Ryan Anderson despite taking fewer shots than his regular season average is claiming you proved I didn't watch the game. Wehdone sir

Lost in translation is your inability to prove Patrick Beverley was not the Rockets singular most important and impactful defender on Westbrook.

You are talking random highlights we are talking actual stats dedicated to each player's individual contributions. Smh

Why do you have this annoying habit of crediting me with statements I didn't make? Am I not the one who likened Oladipo's game to Wade's, Giannis? I don't need you to explain Oladipo's playing style to me. Show us how many catch and shoot shots Oladipo had to make, or how often he got the ball late in the clock. So we might at least see if you even have an argument.

I'm sure if we check Harden's shooting compared to his teammates it might be even worse than Westbrook's. Drawing less attention shouldn't Westbrook's teammates be shooting at a higher clip?

I no dey for your 'what if' assumption Telemundo. Last I checked you are not a Rockets coaching staff

Anderson had 10 shots per game in his first 3 games in the series compared to 11 per game in the regular season - big difference.

Beverley's impact is one reason why people who know stuff say stats don't always tell the whole story. If Harden and Bev are trying to box Russell out and Beverley strikes the ball off Russell's hand in the sequence he is credited the steal but someone actually watching the game would have seen Harden's handiwork in making that steal possible. If that was lost on you, it is one of those things, no sweat.

Harden was 41% at FG, rest of his team? 45.6%
Harden was 24% at 3pt, rest of his team 28.4%

Compare that to Russell that was 39% at FG while his teammates were on 47% and 26.5% at 3pt while the rest of his team were 31%.

In every angle even the stats scream, "Russell use your teammates more!" But no..

Just about any RANDOM article on how the series went would have an excerpt just like this:

What didn’t go well for the Thunder?
Westbrook was looking to distribute early on and recorded a triple-double before the half as the Thunder jumped out to yet another early lead. Again, this looked to be the best possible version of the Thunder, and again things fell apart in the second half.
Westbrook looked for his shot more coming out of the break, recording only four assists for the remainder of the game. But it was another inefficient shooting performance for the MVP candidate.

This statement was made after game 4 but you can substitute it for all their losses and it would come out the same.

Here is another:

Westbrook looks to distribute in the first half, pushing the Thunder to an early lead. Then, as the game tightens up in the second half, he grows more aggressive with his shot, and his playmaking slows down — so then does the Thunder offense.

I mean damn near every article I have read has a paragraph or 2 mirroing exactly what is above. But Russell thinks he is MJ meets Curry meets Lebron so he tries to do it all alone and when his team loses, people turn around and blame them. That is just....ridiculous.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:06am On Apr 30, 2017
Roland17:

At 41, W. Klitschko has slowed down, and may not possesses the power punch the Ukrainian is renowned for, however, i still think he has the experience to win this fight.
The Boy did IT! But only just! The sheer gulf in experience nearly showed but I was just too sure the blows would be too much for Klitschko
Re: The NBA Begins by Talk2bryant(m): 12:17am On Apr 30, 2017
Pls educate me on the home cooking, I think the fight was rigged
A40:

Naa can't even remember the last time Klitschko knocked anybody out. Unless Joshua's chin is made from papier mache he should be upright

Joshua looks jacked! Just like Fury he has the edge in size. Would be disappointed if Joshua doesn't send Klitschko into retirement. Even Samuel Peter knocked Klitschko down thrice in their first fight before they involved home cooking
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:22am On Apr 30, 2017
Talk2bryant:
Pls educate me on the home cooking, I think the fight was rigged
Home cooking is very real. Kovalev vs Ward and Bradley vs Pacman I are recent examples. You even have instances when the fight is not just in the beneficiary's country but all 3 judges share the fighter's nationality
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 12:25am On Apr 30, 2017
A40:

The Boy did IT! But only just! The sheer gulf in experience nearly showed but I was just too sure the blows would be too much for Klitschko

I was very proud of AJ, although his inexperience nearly punished him in round 5 when he was out of gas. He came out with multiple combinations in the early minute of the 5th and succeeded in knocking WK, however, WK showed by he was a renowned power puncher afterwards.

Fighting and winning past the 7th round was very important for AJ especially if he wants to have a successful heavy weigh career. He was on uncharted waters after the 7th round and he held him own. You have to agree with me that a younger WK would have killed AJ, but credit to the lad. Joshua's conditioning needs a lot of work, as he was gassed by the 5th round, for a 27 year old, that is troubling.

This was his biggest fight in his professional career since the Olympics, he was fighting at home against a semi retired WK. I hope he gets more opportunities especially in the US.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:57am On Apr 30, 2017
Roland17:

I was very proud of AJ, although his inexperience nearly punished him in round 5 when he was out of gas. He came out with multiple combinations in the early minute of the 5th and succeeded in knocking WK, however, WK showed by he was a renowned power puncher afterwards.

Fighting and winning past the 7th round was very important for AJ especially if he wants to have a successful heavy weigh career. He was on uncharted waters after the 7th round and he held him own. You have to agree with me that a younger WK would have killed AJ, but credit to the lad. Joshua's conditioning needs a lot of work, as he was gassed by the 5th round, for a 27 year old, that is troubling.

This was his biggest fight in his professional career since the Olympics, he was fighting at home against a semi retired WK. I hope he gets more opportunities especially in the US.

I knew the lack of experience was going to be an issue. He's been a pro for just 4 years, he started very late too.

He is still relying on pure talent and instinct. As he grows older he would improve in strategy and alter the approach for each fighter. I think the weight also hurt him. He was 10lbs heavier than Wlad and it showed. He needs to shave off some lbs

Klitschko fought better than I saw him do against Fury. And yes I agree a younger Wlad woulda put AJ out. Deontay Wilder sef for kill am for that Rd 6-9 window
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 1:50am On Apr 30, 2017
Eruditor:

Anderson had 10 shots per game in his first 3 games in the series compared to 11 per game in the regular season - big difference.

Beverley's impact is one reason why people who know stuff say stats don't always tell the whole story. If Harden and Bev are trying to box Russell out and Beverley strikes the ball off Russell's hand in the sequence he is credited the steal but someone actually watching the game would have seen Harden's handiwork in making that steal possible. If that was lost on you, it is one of those things, no sweat.

Harden was 41% at FG, rest of his team? 45.6%
Harden was 24% at 3pt, rest of his team 28.4%

Compare that to Russell that was 39% at FG while his teammates were on 47% and 26.5% at 3pt while the rest of his team were 31%.

In every angle even the stats scream, "Russell use your teammates more!" But no..

Just about any RANDOM article on how the series went would have an excerpt just like this:

What didn’t go well for the Thunder?
Westbrook was looking to distribute early on and recorded a triple-double before the half as the Thunder jumped out to yet another early lead. Again, this looked to be the best possible version of the Thunder, and again things fell apart in the second half.
Westbrook looked for his shot more coming out of the break, recording only four assists for the remainder of the game. But it was another inefficient shooting performance for the MVP candidate.

This statement was made after game 4 but you can substitute it for all their losses and it would come out the same.

I mean damn near every article I have read has a paragraph or 2 mirroing exactly what is above. But Russell thinks he is MJ meets Curry meets Lebron so he tries to do it all alone and when his team loses, people turn around and blame them. That is just....ridiculous.
Anderson

Game 1 - 1/6
Game 2 - 1/8
Game 3 - 8/14
Game 4 - 1/6
Game 5 - 1/5

So what are you stil arguing please? You can see that in 5 games he only shot double figures ONCE! and way below his season average. So your Anderson example is rigor mortis. It is ludacris to keep pumping role players the ball when they are cold.

All this one you dey yarn na Tales by moonlight. You can't show another defender who did a better job on Westbrook individually and back it up with any stats. I no dey for your Telemundo analysis

Common sense dictates that a Westbrook attracting that much defensive scrutiny would shoot lower than his teammates. Even at that volume you can see the difference is minute. So what is your assurance that they do better with a higher workload?

OKC are -58 when Westbrook sits but keep focusing on minimal and borderline negligible shooting percentage differentials

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 4:39am On Apr 30, 2017
so this AJ na Englishman sef I think say he they fight under the green and White like Samuel Peter.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 4:45am On Apr 30, 2017
for some reason Celtics doesn't inspire fear how a number 1 seed suppose do. they get enough wing defenders to throw at Wall and Beal shall.
Celtics in 7.
Re: The NBA Begins by Decale: 12:30pm On Apr 30, 2017
A40:
Shame inasmuch as I loathe Rondo. His injury just drained the life out of the Celts vs Bulls series and killed it as a contest. Want to see if they have an answer for John Wall. The guy is on some other shyte in terms of scoring and efficiency, the whole nine

29.5 and 10.3 for the series

He's the 3rd best player right now in the playoffs and his pace should frighten Celtics
Re: The NBA Begins by Eruditor: 12:44pm On Apr 30, 2017
A40:

Anderson

Game 1 - 1/6
Game 2 - 1/8
Game 3 - 8/14
Game 4 - 1/6
Game 5 - 1/5

So what are you stil arguing please? You can see that in 5 games he only shot double figures ONCE! and way below his season average. So your Anderson example is rigor mortis. It is ludacris to keep pumping role players the ball when they are cold.

All this one you dey yarn na Tales by moonlight. You can't show another defender who did a better job on Westbrook individually and back it up with any stats. I no dey for your Telemundo analysis

Common sense dictates that a Westbrook attracting that much defensive scrutiny would shoot lower than his teammates. Even at that volume you can see the difference is minute. So what is your assurance that they do better with a higher workload?

OKC are -58 when Westbrook sits but keep focusing on minimal and borderline negligible shooting percentage differentials

Hahaha. Another danger in using stats in games you did not watch. Are there no regular season games in which Anderson shot less than his 10.8 average? So what are you talking about?

Now since I watched those games let me tell you how those stats work:

Games 1, 2 & 3 Anderson had 18 3-pt attempts and made only 2 and 2 of them were in that game 3 that he had 14 FGAs. In that game, he was 2 of 7 from deep which means he was 2 of 18 from deep in 3 games. If you had actually watched those games you would have seen him receive and miss 16 of 18 uncontested 3s. So yes, he kept receiving the ball.

Games 4 & 5 he had 11 FGAs. In both games combined he got 6 3PA and made only 1. This brought his total 3PA in 5 games to 3 of 24. Now tell me, a player who was 2/18 going into games 4&5 what justifies his extra 6 3PAs if not that his teammates are still giving him the ball?

Even in his most prolific game (game 3) Anderson got as much 3PAs as 2PAs (7) even when it was clear he was faring better with his midrange shots than his 3-pt. In fact, he got the passes more beyond the arc in that game but he kept faking and stepping into the arc to knock 12ft shots. I believe he had only 1 dunk in that game his 5 other 2-pt shots made were by taking the ball from beyond the arc into it to knock midrange shots.

What is the essence of all these? If you had watched those games instead of reading stats from a box-score, you would have SEEN these things real time.

As per Beverley and Tales by moonlight, make I laugh small before I respond grin. 1) I did not argue any Rockets player did a better job than him 2) asking me to bring another name that did better is disingenuous.

I said 1A) Rockets used doubles and triples on RW more often than they used Beverley to mark him - FACT. 2A) I did that to prove to you that you were misunderstanding the stats ESPN mentioned and to show you that if you had watched those games you would have SEEN it for yourself.

If you recall, you claimed you SAW Beverley force 5TOs from RW and make 7/27 shots in game 5. You said that to argue that Beverley did more of a job on Russell than Roberson did on Harden (essentially saying Houston players were better and so on) but my argument has been that it is Houston's more effective system that did the job on Russell (seeing he refused to pass in the 4th Quarters) and not necessarily about Houston having better players.

If Beverley was left to man mark Russell all series long (without help as Roberson did on Harden), Russell would have averaged 45ppg.

Summarily, you are exaggerating how good Houston players are individually, to how their relatively compact D, system-designed ball movement, basketball IQ of star player and better coaching helped them beat OKC.

Commonsense dictates that if Russell is receiving that amount of defensive scrutiny, he should become more of a facilitator seeing that there would be wide open men who could go for easy layups or make that occasional 3.

Even at 39% FG compared to 47% FG of his team and 26% 3P compared to 31% of the rest of his team, this is what you call minute? shocked shocked

Let me use a poser to show how ridiculous your assertion is:

Please bring one game in this series where RW made more points than his other teammates combined.

Preposterous!!

OKC are -58 when RW sits, fine. Bring out his +/- in all the 4th Quarters that he played this series so we can justify the above or we can just conclude that anybody can throw numbers about without even understanding the context in which arguments are made.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 7:48pm On Apr 30, 2017
A. Bradley does not get the respect he deserves in this league.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 30, 2017
Celtics running rampant. Oh my goodness
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 8:19pm On Apr 30, 2017
BIG AL earning his reputation and relevance in the post season....
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 30, 2017
Didn't even know the Celtics has this much length, my goodness, it is disturbing these Washington players.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 8:25pm On Apr 30, 2017
Outside Kawahi, i don't know of another player who is better than A.Bradley on 1v1 defensive plays..

He is so intelligent with his timing, and feet movement.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 30, 2017
Roland17:
Outside Kawahi, i don't know of another player who is better than A.Bradley on 1v1 defensive plays..

He is so intelligent with his timing, and feet movement.
Tony Allen?
Re: The NBA Begins by aliondo: 8:33pm On Apr 30, 2017
Al H showing up tonight.....
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 8:33pm On Apr 30, 2017
Great all round performance by the Celtics, i definitely recognize these Celtics, because, this is how we play. Move the ball, scrap and fight under the rim and stifle 1v1 plays.

BIG AL my goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT is getting all the help he needs, and that is how we play.

#greenrunsdeep

(1) (2) (3) ... (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) ... (2219) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.