Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,665 members, 7,816,707 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? (5690 Views)

Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? / Can Christians Ever Reconcile This Contradiction? / Can Christians Be Hurt By Witchcraft Or Black Magic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by 5solas(m): 9:59pm On Apr 19, 2012
i.chuka:

The "Gift" is inexhaustible.(you dont lose enternal life once you have it,because its Enternal).

Thanks , you are right , the fact it is eternal, is itself proof, it cannot be lost. It amounts to mere cavillation to teach otherwise.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by exposingsnakes: 11:18pm On Apr 19, 2012
everything is wrong with these churches [even celestial churches], OR AT LEAST MANY OF THE MERMBERS WHO CLAIM TO BE FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST. The men are nasty dogs..............they cheat on their wives and play with the emotions of unsuspecting young girls/adults. I came across a video of a man who we will call "Mark". That's the name he gave me. He told me a lot of things which i found suspicious. Fortunately for me i was told the truth by a guy who saw me with him. This guy [mark]claimed to be a church priest at the Imole Ayo parish. Beware ladies and if he is married [i feel so bad for his poor wife). There are some things about this church that i am nervous to share but ladies if you need some conformation email me at exposingsnakes@hotmail.ca. for your benefit the man i am talking about is in this video at 4min43sec...........BEWARE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN_Wrr0igTQ&feature=plcp&context=C4ea5430VDvjVQa1PpcFOwSlpnK4Imo-R1pkmkOpTC4Y9nOS-dRaM%3D
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 11:35pm On Apr 19, 2012
5solas:

It is there in my quotation of you . Salvation is given to the ungodly and undeserving being ungodly and undeserving: from this premise it is clear it cannot be lost.

If it were given to the righteous because of their righteousness, then it could be lost; but it is not so given.
And who deserves life or sanity, graces that are lost daily?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by ea7(m): 1:18am On Apr 20, 2012
frosbel:

You are funny.

God saves us, provides us with all that is required to endure to the end , our part is to remain in the vine.

A man can walk away from the faith , something called Apostasy.

To suggest otherwise is to reduce man to a robotic being with no ability to choose right from wrong. Total Heresy I say.

if i give someone a choice. i dont say which apple do you want, blue, green or red. pick freely, bt if you choose blue or red i will kill you. is that a free choice?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 1:55am On Apr 20, 2012
ea7: if i give someone a choice. i dont say which apple do you want, blue, green or red. pick freely, bt if you choose blue or red i will kill you. is that a free choice?
Freewill is not freedom to choose wrong/evil. It is ability to choose. Like the sun has no such ability, earth has no such ability, my cow has no such ability.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 6:02am On Apr 20, 2012
I agree that eternal salvation does exist. Once you are truly saved, how could you ever lose your salvation, when you never did anything to gain it?

I think the difference is when someone is not truly genuinely saved, that we see the grossest sins come out, or just outright defiance to God. If you are saved, that means you love God and have given your life over to him for eternity. If you serve God for 20 years, then decide to just start living however you want to, the question isn't "is he still saved?"....the question is "was he EVER saved?" because the true Christian will not stop following God.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by italo: 9:54am On Apr 20, 2012
Romans 5: 1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the HOPE of the glory of God.

If salvation is absolutely assured after accepting Jesus as Saviour, why would St. Paul hope?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 12:23pm On Apr 20, 2012
^
i seriously wonder o.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 1:23pm On Apr 20, 2012
italo: Romans 5: 1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the HOPE of the glory of God.

If salvation is absolutely assured after accepting Jesus as Saviour, why would St. Paul hope?

Because we don't absolutely know for sure. We trust in God and his promises, and we trust and hope that he will fulfill them.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by italo: 2:35pm On Apr 20, 2012
bigd4050:

Because we don't absolutely know for sure. We trust in God and his promises, and we trust and hope that he will fulfill them.

If you don't know for sure, that means it can be lost. If it cannot be lost, then St. Paul would have said "we boast in the CERTAINTY of the glory of God", but he didn't say that, he used the word "HOPE."

And if you trust that God will fulfil his promise, it means you KNOW (are certain). You can't hope for what is certain.

Simple as ABC.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 3:54pm On Apr 20, 2012
italooooooooo, i dey your back on this one, no be small.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by italo: 5:00pm On Apr 20, 2012
@ image123, I'm honoured.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 6:40pm On Apr 20, 2012
italo:

If you don't know for sure, that means it can be lost. If it cannot be lost, then St. Paul would have said "we boast in the CERTAINTY of the glory of God", but he didn't say that, he used the word "HOPE."

And if you trust that God will fulfil his promise, it means you KNOW (are certain). You can't hope for what is certain.

Simple as ABC.

I said we don't know because we can't really prove that God is coming back. Our hope is in what has been passed on to us through the Bible. That is why we have faith...because we don't know. Do you really think there is any way Paul wasn't saved? Do you think there was any doubt as to whether or not he walked with God? The person that truly loves God won't be in the practice of sin.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by unphilaz(m): 7:08pm On Apr 20, 2012
i.chuka:

The "Gift" is inexhaustible.(you dont lose enternal life once you have it,because its Enternal).
i wonder oh, are they trying to say that the blood of Jesus is less effective than the blood of bulls and goats which covers for a year? And by the way, christianity i believe is more of believing the gospel-death, burial and ressurection-than doing which is the result of believing
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 10:28pm On Apr 20, 2012
One thing most are missing here is that the individual has to turn to be saved. The same turning renders you unsaved. So it matters where you're turning to. Man's not a robot.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by italo: 10:28pm On Apr 20, 2012
bigd4050:

I said we don't know because we can't really prove that God is coming back. Our hope is in what has been passed on to us through the Bible. That is why we have faith...because we don't know. Do you really think there is any way Paul wasn't saved? Do you think there was any doubt as to whether or not he walked with God? The person that truly loves God won't be in the practice of sin.

I don't understand you. The topic of this thread is "can Christians lose their salvation?

What's your answer? Yes or no.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 6:47am On Apr 21, 2012
italo:

I don't understand you. The topic of this thread is "can Christians lose their salvation?

What's your answer? Yes or no.

Well gain understanding. I was responding to your last post. If you would pay attention, I say no. That's why you responded to me in the first place.

How can you lose salvation if you've done nothing to earn it?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Enigma(m): 7:34am On Apr 21, 2012
When {boxer X} hits you, you stay hit.

When God saves you, you stay saved. smiley

cool
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by italo: 8:47am On Apr 21, 2012
bigd4050:

Well gain understanding. I was responding to your last post. If you would pay attention, I say no. That's why you responded to me in the first place.

How can you lose salvation if you've done nothing to earn it?

then tell me in clear terms why paul talks about "hoping" for salvation.

and pls dont beat around the bush like the last time.

we know you cant hope for what is certain.

dont drag us back to primary 1 grammar class.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by italo: 8:58am On Apr 21, 2012
Enigma: When {boxer X} hits you, you stay hit.

cool

Rom. 11:20-23 – in expounding on Jesus’ teaching in John 15, Paul teaches that the Jews (the natural branches) were broken off by lack of faith (v.20), but says that the Romans stand fast through faith (v. 21). So the Romans are justified. However, Paul then says that the Romans can also be cut off if they don’t persevere in faith and kindness (v. 22-23). Hence, those justified before God can fall away from the faith and lose their salvation (be “cut off”). Paul also says that those who are cut off can be grafted back in if they do not persist in their unbelief, for God has the power to graft them in again (v.23).

How can one who reads these verses, then say, that Christians cannot lose their salvation?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 10:02am On Apr 21, 2012
gooooooooooooooal!
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 7:06pm On Apr 21, 2012
italo:

Rom. 11:20-23 – in expounding on Jesus’ teaching in John 15, Paul teaches that the Jews (the natural branches) were broken off by lack of faith (v.20), but says that the Romans stand fast through faith (v. 21). So the Romans are justified. However, Paul then says that the Romans can also be cut off if they don’t persevere in faith and kindness (v. 22-23). Hence, those justified before God can fall away from the faith and lose their salvation (be “cut off”). Paul also says that those who are cut off can be grafted back in if they do not persist in their unbelief, for God has the power to graft them in again (v.23).

How can one who reads these verses, then say, that Christians cannot lose their salvation?

Because Paul doesn't know for sure who is saved and who isn't. It is only shown by endurance in the faith. Therefore, those who do not endure, never were saved. It's not that they were saved and then lost their salvation, its that they were never saved to begin with. You assuming they had salvation when they did not. You don't know who is saved and who isn't. People can be accepted back into fellowship if they turn from their sins. We don't know who is saved or not, we just know that those who endure and serve God their whole life are the ones who are truly saved. There is no beating around the bush going on here, your getting angry because your not convincing me. Leave your emotions out of this.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Apr 21, 2012
A so called Christian who thinks that he/she will go to heaven , even when committing the grossest of sins, is only living in lala land.

Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe - Jude 1:5

Take your time to watch this beautiful video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU8c1N-7Xk8
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 9:22pm On Apr 21, 2012
"For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
"For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
"But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire." (2 Peter 2:20-22).
Salvation can be lost, let this saying sink into your ears.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Joagbaje(m): 10:16pm On Apr 21, 2012
A christian can lose his salvation.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Apr 21, 2012
Image123: "For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
"For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
"But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire." (2 Peter 2:20-22).

Thanks for these verses.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by 5solas(m): 10:38pm On Apr 21, 2012
Enigma: When {boxer X} hits you, you stay hit.

cool

Great post.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by ichuka(m): 11:17pm On Apr 21, 2012
Joagbaje:
A christian can lose his salvation.

Then he's not a Christain at first.
Because,God cannot lie..Nums23:19,when He said whosoever believes in Him shall have ETERNAL LIFE,HE meant it.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by ichuka(m): 11:41pm On Apr 21, 2012
Image123: "For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

In the Bible Dogs and Sows refer to the UNSAVED ones.they do not refer to the Saved ones.if a person is a SHEEP,he will never perish.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 6:01am On Apr 22, 2012
Absolutely
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Joagbaje(m): 6:16am On Apr 22, 2012
i.chuka:

Then he's not a Christain at first.
Because,God cannot lie..Nums23:19,when He said whosoever believes in Him shall have ETERNAL LIFE,HE meant it.

Yes a christian can't go to hell but It's possible for someone who had been born again before to end up in hell and be damned . That's why the bible says to work out ones salvation.

Hebrews 6:4-6
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame

Remember what paul said Con earning his own salvation.

1 Corinthians 9:27
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Also remember the words of Jesus .

Matthew 7:22
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by italo: 7:58am On Apr 22, 2012
bigd4050:

Because Paul doesn't know for sure who is saved and who isn't. It is only shown by endurance in the faith. Therefore, those who do not endure, never were saved. It's not that they were saved and then lost their salvation, its that they were never saved to begin with. You assuming they had salvation when they did not. You don't know who is saved and who isn't. People can be accepted back into fellowship if they turn from their sins. We don't know who is saved or not, we just know that those who endure and serve God their whole life are the ones who are truly saved. There is no beating around the bush going on here, your getting angry because your not convincing me. Leave your emotions out of this.

Firstly, you must know that I'm not getting angry and I'm not trying to convince you. But I cannot leave my emotions out of this because you haven't left yours out of it. If you had, you would have understood these verses which are not mine but that of the Holy Spirit. He is the one trying to convince you, not me. So if you're not convinced, well...

Secondly, the passage does not suggest that Paul does not know who was saved and who wasn't. That is what you decided in your head.

St. Paul said (Romans 11: 17,18): 17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18 do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches.

He knew they were saved! Would they "share in the nourishing sap from the olive root" if they weren't?

Thirdly, was St. Paul saved when he was writing scripture? I'm sure your answer I yes. Then read what he wrote:

1 Cor 9:24-27:  24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Did you see that?

St. Paul says that all the runners compete, but only one wins the prize. Paul recognizes that if he doesn’t train himself properly in perseverance, he too can become “disqualified.” This proves that St Paul thought he could lose his salvation. You cant argue that Paul wasn’t “saved” when he wrote the Scriptures. So if St. Paul thought that he could lose his salvation, why do you people think that you cannot lose yours?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Message From God Found Hidden Inside DNA Sequence / The Big Lie / Does God Really Answer Prayers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.