Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,433 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? (5688 Views)

Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? / Can Christians Ever Reconcile This Contradiction? / Can Christians Be Hurt By Witchcraft Or Black Magic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by italo: 6:39am On Apr 24, 2012
italo: If salvation can't be lost, why was Paul worried about being disqualified? Even though he was "saved" at the time he was writing scripture.

Why did he always "HOPE" for salvation?

How can you be certain, when St. Paul wasn't?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by 5solas(m): 6:46am On Apr 24, 2012
bigd4050: @ i.chucka and 5solas...thanks for the support guys. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can see and recognize these truths. They are hard and difficult to understand, and sound harsh, but those that do understand have a deeper relationship with God and are able to live out these truths with more confidence, knowing that God is sovereign and his will is going to be done. Appreciate it guys!

I rejoiced when I read your post (the one i.chucka and I quoted), I felt as I feel when I read the works of the reformers.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by 5solas(m): 7:47am On Apr 24, 2012
italo: If salvation can't be lost, why was Paul worried about being disqualified? Even though he was "saved" at the time he was writing scripture.

St. Paul was so uncertain about his salvation , that he wrote the verses below , to make his hearers certain of theirs. grin grin grin

Romans 8

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or unclothedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.[/b]
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by 5solas(m): 7:55am On Apr 24, 2012
italo: : If salvation can't be lost, why was Paul worried about being disqualified? Even though he was "saved" at the time he was writing scripture.

St. Paul was so uncertain about his salvation , that he wrote the verses below , to make his hearers certain of theirs. grin grin grin

Romans 8

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or unclothedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.[/b]
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 12:59pm On Apr 24, 2012
i.chuka:

For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son....and those He predestined,He also called;those He called,He also justified;those He justified,He also glorified.what,then shall we say in response to this?if God is for us,who can be against us?......who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen?it is God justified...Romns8:29-33.
I wonder how those who are called,chosen and justified can lose their Salvation.
@bigd great write up.
Bigd's write up was poor and filled with error. God wants ALL to be saved, there are actually Bible verses that say that. How can he say that man cannot decide to have faith? Why all the admonition by Jesus to His disciples to have faith and not doubt? Nobody is predestinated to go to Heaven or to salvation. We are predestinated to be conformed into the image of Christ. Stop adding to the Word.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by italo: 1:10pm On Apr 24, 2012
5solas:

Romans 8

Amen! I believe the passage. I just don't accept your personal fallible interpretation of it.

The reason that nothing could separate them from God's love is that they lived in the spirit. And why does the spirit give life? You will find your answer in verse 10 of the same chapter.

Romans 8:10: But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life[d] because of righteousness.

Because of RIGHTEOUSNESS! That's why we have the spirit, that's why nothing can separate us from God's love.

Verse 13 says: For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

What if you don't make use of the spirit to put to death the misdeeds of the body? What happens?

You will die! (God's love will be separated from you)

Verse 17 says: Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

What happens if you don't share in his sufferings?

You do not share in his glory. You are not an heir of God. (Gods love will be separated from you)

Verses 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

Why are they hoping for the redemption of their bodies?

Who hopes for what they already have, says St. Paul (St Paul hoped for Salvation, so did he already have it?)
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 1:11pm On Apr 24, 2012
5solas:

A very sound post.

Since those who believe are called and chosen and you cannot be saved if you are not called and chosen, it is clear anyone so chosen will NEVER come to condemnation.
Can you show us this clarity from scriptures, or it's only revealed to the esoteric few?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 1:28pm On Apr 24, 2012
bigd4050:

That is like me saying that God created the universe from nothing. And then you saying "something has never come from nothing, we have this whole world as an example". I get what your trying to say, but when you compare God's nature and salvation, which are not definable by the world, to something material here on this earth, it doesn't work. Sure, you have given a great example to show what your trying to say, but it doesn't even brush up against what I'm saying because we are arguing two different realms. Your logic works here on this earth. I am talking about spiritual things.
"And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day." (Jude 1:6).
Is this also the spiritual realm?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 1:38pm On Apr 24, 2012
"And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened. " (Matthew 24:22).
If salvation cannot be lost, those days need not be shortened. The elect could well live 969years and not lose nothing.
Let these sayings sink deep in your ears, salvation can be lost,
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Zikkyy(m): 2:17pm On Apr 24, 2012
Image123:
Bigd's write up was poor and filled with error. God wants ALL to be saved, there are actually Bible verses that say that. How can he say that man cannot decide to have faith?

Well the 'koko' of what these guys are telling you is that God already prepared a list of those he want saved. The list was prepared even before your mother gave birth to you. So if you like go to church, speak in multiple languages, tithe and dance 'azonto', you are a 'goner' if your name is not on that list grin
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 2:37pm On Apr 24, 2012
Zikkyy:

Well the 'koko' of what these guys are telling you is that God already prepared a list of those he want saved. The list was prepared even before your mother gave birth to you. So if you like go to church, speak in multiple languages, tithe and dance 'azonto', you are a 'goner' if your name is not on that list grin
Where is that list? Is there supplementary list? Have they seen that list? Who told them about that list?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Zikkyy(m): 2:53pm On Apr 24, 2012
Image123:
Where is that list?

With God na smiley

Image123:
Is there supplementary list?

Brother Image, e be like you dey do your things through back door angry no 'mago-mago' for God matter smiley If you don't make first batch, you should forget it. No 'man know man' or 'man know pastor' for this matter.

Image123:
Have they seen that list? Who told them about that list?

i can't answer this bit. Ask them anytime they are online smiley
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by ichuka(m): 3:31pm On Apr 24, 2012
Image123:
Bigd's write up was poor and filled with error. God wants ALL to be saved, there are actually Bible verses that say that. How can he say that man cannot decide to have faith? Why all the admonition by Jesus to His disciples to have faith and not doubt? Nobody is predestinated to go to Heaven or to salvation. We are predestinated to be conformed into the image of Christ. Stop adding to the Word.

What did i add,abi your Bible no complete?
For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son....and those He predestined,He also Called,those He called,He also justified,those He Justified,He also Glorified...Romns8:29-30.
We have been Called,Chosen,Justified and even Glorified in Christ before the of the world.....Ephns1:6..For He chose us in Him(Christ) before the creation of the world to be Holy and blameless in His sight.in love He predestined us to adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ,IN ACCORDANCE WITH HIS PLEASURE AND WILL TO BE THE PRAISE OF HIS GLORIOUS GRACE.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 3:43pm On Apr 24, 2012
Zikkyy:

With God na smiley

Brother Image, e be like you dey do your things through back door angry no 'mago-mago' for God matter smiley If you don't make first batch, you should forget it. No 'man know man' or 'man know pastor' for this matter.

i can't answer this bit. Ask them anytime they are online smiley
Aaargh, help me ask them, they're online na.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 3:47pm On Apr 24, 2012
i.chuka:

What did i add,abi your Bible no complete?
For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son....and those He predestined,He also Called,those He called,He also justified,those He Justified,He also Glorified...Romns8:29-30.
We have been Called,Chosen,Justified and even Glorified in Christ before the of the world.....Ephns1:6..For He chose us in Him(Christ) before the creation of the world to be Holy and blameless in His sight.in love He predestined us to adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ,IN ACCORDANCE WITH HIS PLEASURE AND WILL TO BE THE PRAISE OF HIS GLORIOUS GRACE.
This your quote is what God predestined us to. Don't add that He predestined us to go to Heaven, or to not lose salvation.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 4:25pm On Apr 24, 2012
Image123:

You contradict yourself in your own post. You say we are predestined to be conformed to Christ...yet how do we do that if we are not going to heaven? Unbelievers certainly are not being confromed to Christ, only Christians. Since we do not predestine ourselves, because we are not perfect, it is God who predestines us. Conclusion: God chooses those who will be conformed to Christ, which means he will choose who will or will not have faith or go to heaven.

How would you make yourself "choose heaven"? Do you think that you suddenly came to a great realization of God's mercy on your own? Like I said, you are deaf and dumb and blind to God when you are not saved. How do you make yourself the opposite of those things? You don't. God must change you. When God gives us faith and opens our eyes, it doesn't mean that we don't still sin or struggle: our sin and flesh is still in us here on earth. What it means is that in the end when we die, we will be saved. This is why we are called God's elect. He ELECTED us, we don't elect ourselves.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 4:29pm On Apr 24, 2012
Image123:
Can you show us this clarity from scriptures, or it's only revealed to the esoteric few?

Clarity comes from understanding the scriptures, not just from the verses themselves. We could give you every verse in the Bible with the word predestined in it, but you would still reject it because you don't want to look at it from a different point of view.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 4:31pm On Apr 24, 2012
Image123:
"And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day." (Jude 1:6).
Is this also the spiritual realm?

It is the spiritual realm. What does this have to do with salvation or this conversation?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 4:36pm On Apr 24, 2012
italo:

Amen! I believe the passage. I just don't accept your personal fallible interpretation of it.

The reason that nothing could separate them from God's love is that they lived in the spirit. And why does the spirit give life? You will find your answer in verse 10 of the same chapter.

Romans 8:10: But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life[d] because of righteousness.

Because of RIGHTEOUSNESS! That's why we have the spirit, that's why nothing can separate us from God's love.

Verse 13 says: For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

What if you don't make use of the spirit to put to death the misdeeds of the body? What happens?

You will die! (God's love will be separated from you)

It sounds like your saying here that we have the holy spirit because of our righteousness, which I disagree with. Maybe you just didn't expound enough..but the order that I see from the Bible is that God gives us the Holy Spirit, and then we begin to live a righteous life. If you live according the flesh, you will die an eternal death, but only because you never had faith in the first place. If you don't use the Holy Spirit, then you never had the Holy Spirit in you.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 4:46pm On Apr 24, 2012
^
A person can be predestined to conform to Christ without going to Heaven, you can actually partake of the heavenly gift and of the powers of the age to come without going to Heaven. It actually happens here on earth, God's will can be done on earth. God predestines the set of people that choose to believe and repent. There is no forgiveness of sins without repentance. Predestination is like a company policy. Those who we employ are going to be trained for Xweeks, travel to Germany for Zweeks and be made grade Y management staff. That's what's going to happen to the recruits. But to be recruited is another matter. We don't say "the company's selected who they want to select, they even have laid out plans and salaries for their people".
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 4:48pm On Apr 24, 2012
bigd4050:

It is the spiritual realm. What does this have to do with salvation or this conversation?
We showed that something can be lost that you didn't do anything to get, you guys said that's physical. So, here is spiritual. geddit?
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 4:53pm On Apr 24, 2012
"And being made perfect, he became the author of ETERNAL salvation unto all them that obey him;" (Hebrews 5:9).
Eternal salvation is CONDITIONED on obedience.
Let these sayings sink deep into your ears. Salvation can be lost.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 4:55pm On Apr 24, 2012
Image123:
We showed that something can be lost that you didn't do anything to get, you guys said that's physical. So, here is spiritual. geddit?

Ok, fair enough. People and angels can lose something that they didn't earn. Still don't understand how that refutes my point about salvation.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 4:57pm On Apr 24, 2012
Image123: "And being made perfect, he became the author of ETERNAL salvation unto all them that obey him;" (Hebrews 5:9).
Eternal salvation is CONDITIONED on obedience.
Let these sayings sink deep into your ears. Salvation can be lost.

I agree with this verse and your explanation of it. It doesn't refute that you can't lose your salvation, or my explanation of why.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Image123(m): 4:58pm On Apr 24, 2012
bigd4050:

Ok, fair enough. People and angels can lose something that they didn't earn. Still don't understand how that refutes my point about salvation.
It refutes your point that salvation cannot be lost simply BECAUSE it was not earned.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 5:02pm On Apr 24, 2012
Image123: ^
A person can be predestined to conform to Christ without going to Heaven, you can actually partake of the heavenly gift and of the powers of the age to come without going to Heaven. It actually happens here on earth, God's will can be done on earth. God predestines the set of people that choose to believe and repent. There is no forgiveness of sins without repentance. Predestination is like a company policy. Those who we employ are going to be trained for Xweeks, travel to Germany for Zweeks and be made grade Y management staff. That's what's going to happen to the recruits. But to be recruited is another matter. We don't say "the company's selected who they want to select, they even have laid out plans and salaries for their people".

To be conformed to Christ means to also move closer to his character, his holiness, and to be under submission to God. You can't partake of anything heavenly unless you are conformed to Christ with my explanation above.

An actually, under God's predestination, both of your explanations happen. He lays out when we are saved, what we will do with our lives, everything. Think about Jonah. Jonah was going to Ninevah whether he wanted to or not. When he tried to run away, he was out of God's will. God's plan was for him to go, so he had the whale swallow Jonah to convince him to go. God's plan was to have Ninevah saved, and it was going to happen whether or not Jonah wanted to go.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 5:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
Image123:
It refutes your point that salvation cannot be lost simply BECAUSE it was not earned.

By making a point about how angels were kicked out of heaven? Angels can't be saved dude, it doesn't refute anything. It doesn't apply to salvation. I'll agree that maybe saying "you can't lose something you didn't earn" is a very broad statement..and if that is the way it was taken in its broadest sense...is wrong. That can be refuted. You can't lose salvation. You either have it or you don't. If you turn from your faith, you never had it in the first place. Note my long post above. It means you never had your eyes opened or heart changed by God.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Zikkyy(m): 6:00pm On Apr 24, 2012
bigd4050:
Conclusion: God chooses those who will be conformed to Christ, which means he will choose who will or will not have faith or go to heaven.

. . .and what is the basis for selecting the lucky few that 'will have faith or go to heaven'? is the selection arbitrary? am sure you don't have a clue. The reason why your interpretation of the bible verse will not stand. It does not not support (cannot be used to interpret) any of the behaviors, actions or comments we find/read in the bible smiley
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by Unitedsatanist(f): 8:15pm On Apr 24, 2012
The short answer to this question is yes... they can.

Never deny the power of Satan.

Before you were a Christian... you weren't on his list. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 5:10am On Apr 25, 2012
Unitedsatanist: The short answer to this question is yes... they can.

Never deny the power of Satan.

Before you were a Christian... you weren't on his list. grin grin

That it part of what we are arguing. That God does have people on his list, even before the are Christians.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by bigd4050: 5:13am On Apr 25, 2012
Zikkyy:

. . .and what is the basis for selecting the lucky few that 'will have faith or go to heaven'? is the selection arbitrary? am sure you don't have a clue. The reason why your interpretation of the bible verse will not stand. It does not not support (cannot be used to interpret) any of the behaviors, actions or comments we find/read in the bible smiley

Sorry, I'm not God, so I can't answer who goes and who doesn't, except that those who are obedient will go to heaven. The selection is up to God, its whoever he chooses, hence chosen people. I have no way of knowing who he will choose.

And your reasoning doesn't work throughout the context of Christianity. Your saying that because I don't know who God saves or why, that what I think cannot be true. If the same reasoning was applied to how God "came to exist", then just because we don't know how God exists...would mean that he doesn't really exist. Since this is not what we as Christians believe, your reasoning is flawed.
Re: Can Christians Lose Their Salvation? by italo: 9:14am On Apr 25, 2012
bigd4050:

It sounds like your saying here that we have the holy spirit because of our righteousness, which I disagree with. Maybe you just didn't expound enough..but the order that I see from the Bible is that God gives us the Holy Spirit, and then we begin to live a righteous life.

Romans 8:10: "... the Spirit gives life because of righteousness."

Do you want to re-write the book of Romans?

Or do you want us to open the dictionary to ascertain the meaning of "because" (such simple word)?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why I Am Catholic -former Pentecostal Pastor Relieves Experience / Canaanland Ota Now Generates 15MW Of Electricity / Pagan Origin Of Calendar Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.