Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,241 members, 7,811,677 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. (28139 Views)

Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / Nigeria Most Influential Monarch / Yoruba Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language. Discuss. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 07, 2012
Every KNOWN Niaja musician has a yoruba language in his/her music. if Yoruba is not that influential. why include it in their song, I mean ALL of our musicians ALL.
cheesy
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 7:35pm On Jan 07, 2012
Βουκέφαλος:

Every KNOWN Niaja musician has a yoruba language in his/her music. if Yoruba is not that influential. why include it in their song, I mean ALL of our musicians ALL.
cheesy
You guys should stop displaying further ignorance in this thread. Musicians from the North never used Yoruba etc, Zaki Azzay, Dan Jos etc. In the east, none of them used Yoruba, Osadebe, Oliver de coque, Ras kimono, Rex Lawson. Even the mothern day ones now such as bracket, Duncan Mighty, Flavour, etc do not use Yoruba.
Those who use Yoruba are either raised in Lagos or reside in Lagos.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:

You guys should stop displaying further ignorance in this thread. Musicians from the North never used Yoruba etc, Zaki Azzay, Dan Jos etc. In the east, none of them used Yoruba, Osadebe, Oliver de coque, Ras kimono, Rex Lawson. Even the mothern day ones now such as bracket, Duncan Mighty, Flavour, etc do not use Yoruba.
Those who use Yoruba are either raised in Lagos or reside in Lagos.

you should try and listen to flavor and bracket again before you jump on the computer.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by pendo89(f): 8:27pm On Jan 07, 2012
Since my early days in school I only knew one tribe in Nigeria and that was Yoruba.
And So it is with most people from EA.They think Yoruba is the only tribe/language in Nigeria cz there is more emphasis on the yoruba culture esp in history books set books,cultural events,drama/plays and museums.
And to make it worse,the dresses worn by Yoruba women and Men make people think Yorubas are the only people in Nigeria.
I even used to think the islamic militants the bokos are yoruba muslims till I joined this site.
Now I know there's a tribe called igbo and hausa. Cant tell the diff though.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jan 07, 2012
odumchi (m)
It's not as if the people there speak full-fledged Yoruba. What they have is a creole language (Gullah) that contains recognizable bits of Yoruba. Even in Haiti where people are rumored to speak Igbo all they have is a creole language with bits of Igbo-like words. These languages arent spoken as a vernacular but are used for special occasions and/or religious festivals. And besides, only a percentage of the people actually know them today

exactly lol. Brazilians, cubans, etc. mix yoruba with central african dialects.
the most influence Yoruba has over diaspora blacks both in english speaking and latin american countries is in terms of the deities, particularly "Chango/Shango", otherwise the language is not 100 percent.

i discussed this very topic with some folks who were offended and felt i was trying to downplay yoruba influence (which i admit i was ignorant to) but the bottom line is it's really those with strong ties to Nigeria but live in the diaspora that continue the tradition or expose the culture.

as far as this topic goes I actually heard of Igbos first. I had a class mate that was half igbo/Nigerian and half Trinidadian and he was telling me about his father's background. It was because of that, that I was able to even hear of Yoruba and Hausa through research.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jan 07, 2012
Yoruba and ibo belong to niger-congo family of africa language.that is why both languages are related to creole language.hausa is the most influencial language in africa while yoruba is more popular in uk,latin america and usa.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by nagoma(m): 9:03pm On Jan 07, 2012
Talking about the language , regular daily Hausa broadcasting service is available in

The BBC world Service
Voice of America ( VOA)
radio France International ( RFI)
Russia
China
Iran
Germany ( Radio Deuchebelle)

And in a number of African countries including Egypt, Ghana, Niger, Cameroon and possibly more. I don't know how wide spread and active yoruba broadcast is.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Ayoolu12: 9:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
Don't expect honest answers from some people here. It's a well known fact that Yorubas reside outside and inside nigeria are very ethnocentric, passing on their language to their children. However, there are some tribes who without even stepping on the shores of the western world quickly distance themselves from their language and traditional names ( you'll hear My name is agatha, cynthia, susan, ) even though their accent is so thick it can be cut with a knife!, just go to lagos and see what i mean.
You will not find a yoruba child who doesn't speak or at least understand Yoruba.

But as i said at the beginning, some people are the masters of denial and delusion. They will never admitt to anything good about Yoruba undecided

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 07, 2012
Ayo-olu12:

Don't expect honest answers from some people here. It's a well known fact that Yorubas reside outside and inside nigeria are very ethnocentric, passing on their language to their children. However, there are some tribes who without even stepping on the shores of the western world quickly distance themselves from their language and traditional names ( you'll hear My name is agatha, cynthia, susan, ) even though their accent is so thick it can be cut with a knife!, just go to lagos and see what i mean.
You will not find a yoruba child who doesn't speak or at least understand Yoruba.

But as i said at the beginning, some people are the masters of denial and delusion. They will never admitt to anything good about Yoruba undecided

Um i know one Yoruba GIRL who calls herself Marya. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

last time i checked Maria/Marya is European in origin.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by dayokanu(m): 9:20pm On Jan 07, 2012
Ayo-olu12:

Don't expect honest answers from some people here. It's a well known fact that Yorubas  reside outside and inside nigeria are very ethnocentric, passing on their language to their children. However, there are some tribes who without even stepping on the shores of the western world quickly distance themselves from their language and traditional names ( you'll hear My name is agatha, cynthia, susan, ) even though their accent is so thick it can be cut with a knife!, just go to lagos and see what i mean.

You might have a point there

Governor ROCHAS Okorocha, MARTIN Elechi, SULLIVAN Chima, PETER Obi, THEODORE Orji

Governor BABATUNDE FASHOLA, IBIKUNLE AMOSUN, KAYODE FAYEMI, OLUSEGUN MIMIKO, ABIOLA AJIMOBI, RAUF AREGBESOLA

Coincidence, that the Yoruba Governors bar one, if they had a foreign name relegated it to the middle name and trumped up their native names?

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 9:20pm On Jan 07, 2012
Βουκέφαλος:

you should try and listen to flavor and bracket again before you jump on the computer.
I do listen to those musicians more than you.
I listen to Igbo music and know Igbo musicians than you.
Nigerian musicians who chip in Yoruba or sing in Yoruba is either born in Lagos or reside in Lagos. Why is it difficult for people to understand this. Does Victor Uwaifor sing in Yoruba, how about Nkem Owoh, Patience Ozokwor, Sir WARRIOR etc.
The problem with you guys is your inability to step foot outside Yorubaland.
Just tell me musicians from the east who do not reside in Yorubaland that sings in Yoruba.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by odumchi: 9:24pm On Jan 07, 2012
Aigbofa:

Isn't "Ashawo" a corruption of Yoruba word Asewo, meaning LovePeddler?

Ashawo isn't exclusively Yoruba. It's not a corruption of anything since it has no meaning in English. The term Ashawo has been diffused into the Anglophone West-African dictionary and is present in various languages ranging from Ghanaian Twi to Efik. Anyway, if you want to argue about the origin of Ashawo, there's a thread for that I can provide you with a link.

Anyway, the name of the song isn't even "Ashawo" it's "Nwa Baby". People just remember it as "Ashawo" because that's a chant in the song. My point is that the song doesn't have any Yoruba in it but yet everyone on this thread knows it.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 9:31pm On Jan 07, 2012
Ayo-olu12:

I have dictated another fallacy here. I do not know why some people are born to lie. How many Yorubas born in the U.K speak and understand Yoruba. The ones I know do not speak Yoruba. Some of them who do and the ones their parents sent back to Nigeria to spend some years and then back to the U.K.
Even in Ibadan, I know some Yoruba kids who reside in places such as New Bodija and attend such schools as Int Sch Ibadan who do not speak Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Gekko(m): 9:33pm On Jan 07, 2012
The largest population of blacks outside of Africa lives in South America, go to a place like Bahia in Brazil and any black person on the street can point you to an acara street vendor or how about the numerous street festivals held in honor of an Ifa Deity.  Thats pretty influential if you ask me  wink tongue
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by odumchi: 9:35pm On Jan 07, 2012
In pure honesty, judging someone's ethnic pride on account of their name is very ridiculous. If someone's name is "Peter" does that mean that they are any less African than someone whose name is "Shehu" or "Seun"? I find it sad how people are very judgmental of others.

Personally, I find judging someone on account of their name as a shameful and myopic thing. Why should someone's name be of concern to you?

Another thing is, in olden times, the bear ing of an English name was seen as a sign of education. For example, someone named "John" had a higher chance of getting hired than someone named "Ekwutosi", although that's no longer the case today. Those people that were named all had native names. Where I come from, most people have an English name and an Igbo name (which is used as a middle name). Like I said earlier, people's names have nothing to do with their outlook on their ethnicity.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 07, 2012
odumchi:

Ashawo isn't exclusively Yoruba. It's not a corruption of anything since it has no meaning in English. The term Ashawo has been diffused into the Anglophone West-African dictionary and is present in various languages ranging from Ghanaian Twi to Efik. Anyway, if you want to argue about the origin of Ashawo, there's a thread for that I can provide you with a link.

Anyway, the name of the song isn't even "Ashawo" it's "Nwa Baby". People just remember it as "Ashawo" because that's a chant in the song. My point is that the song doesn't have any Yoruba in it but yet everyone on this thread knows it.

Why are you twisting and turning and contradicting yourself! You said it was a hit song called ashawo and doesn't have any Yoruba in it. When I pointed it out that asewo is a Yoruba word, you now claim the song isn't called ashawo but Nwa baby!

Anyway, what language is Ashawo/asewo or whatever you want to call it?

I never said it was a corruption of an English word, I said a corruption of the Yoruba word "asewo". How you came to the conclusion that it isn't a Yoruba word, I need to know.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by odumchi: 9:46pm On Jan 07, 2012
You can refer to this thread for that: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-12835.96.html

Aigbofa:

Why are you twisting and turning and contradicting yourself! You said it was a hit song called ashawo and doesn't have any Yoruba in it. When I pointed it out that asewo is a Yoruba word, you now claim the song isn't called ashawo but Nwa baby!

Anyway, what language is Ashawo/asewo or whatever you want to call it?
I never said it was a corruption of an English word, I said a corruption of the Yoruba word "asewo". How you came to the conclusion that it isn't a Yoruba word, I need to know.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 07, 2012
Yoruba is the most influential.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 07, 2012
@Odumchi

Your link doesn't answer my question. Is it a Yoruba word or not? It's a simple yes or no answer!
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 9:49pm On Jan 07, 2012
dayokanu:

You might have a point there

Governor ROCHAS Okorocha, MARTIN Elechi, SULLIVAN Chima, PETER Obi, THEODORE Orji

Governor BABATUNDE FASHOLA, IBIKUNLE AMOSUN, KAYODE FAYEMI, OLUSEGUN MIMIKO, ABIOLA AJIMOBI, RAUF AREGBESOLA

Coincidence, that the Yoruba Governors bar one, if they had a foreign name relegated it to the middle name and trumped up their native names?

Kanu, I agree with you here. This is an Igbo weakness. But I disagree with some brainless posts here suggesting that all Nigerian musicians sing in Yoruba or chip in Yoruba in their songs. INCREDIBLE.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Ayoolu12: 9:50pm On Jan 07, 2012
Those guilty of what i stated above are the ones speaking up! LOL!
I must however insist, some folks refusal to have or answer to native names is very telling, i don't care how you spin it.
As to the argument regarding the 'ashewo' word, it just proves the poster right. Yoruba has so permeated Nigerian culture as a whole that some folks can't tell it apart from their native tongue  cry

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 07, 2012
Ayo-olu12:

Those guilty of what i stated above are the ones speaking up! LOL!
I must however insist, some folks refusal to have or answer to native names is very telling, i don't care how you spin it.
As to the argument regarding the 'ashewo' word, it just proves the poster right. Yoruba has so permeated Nigerian culture as a whole that some folks can't tell it apart from their native tongue  cry

LOL grin grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 10:14pm On Jan 07, 2012
I wonder how a full grow person will come here and say that all Nigerian musicians sing in Yoruba. Yet some posters of Yoruba origin here will not say something about this outrageous lie.
Yet, they lie again that Yoruba is this and that. I wonder if some people tell lies as their occupation.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by isalegan2: 10:29pm On Jan 07, 2012
lovely_S:

@OP You are right, if you dont believe see the videos below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFYZ3KHEXYI&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of_sRHlCk-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6rC1j5DJzU&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRSrZUzY-C8

[flash=520,360]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of_sRHlCk-c[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of_sRHlCk-c

The second video (above) is unbelievable.  That soloist enunciates, most times, better than any non-African speaker I've heard yet.  It could be she is just good at singing; I'd be curious to hear her speaking voice, or even to learn whether she understands the words at all.  Great job!   The fourth one (below) is good - An acoustic guitar solo and song cover by a boy who sounds like English his also his second language.

[flash=480,320]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRSrZUzY-C8[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRSrZUzY-C8

A link related to the above and thread topic:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-832230.0.html
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Yewe2011(m): 10:58pm On Jan 07, 2012
I'm Ghanaian and I kind of disagree

I'd say linguistically Hausa is more predominant outside of Nigeria

Culturally I'd say Yoruba is more influential outside of Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 11:04pm On Jan 07, 2012
@WHOEVER is posting those videos. Stop wasting your time posting those videos. It doesn't win you this arguement. A couple of years ago, I attended a Church in Tottenham London. The choir group in that church sang mostly in Efik as the founder is Efik. This choir group consists of Sierra leoneans, Liberians, Ndigbo, etc.
Would I at this instance say Efik is the mostly influential language outside Nigeria?.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by AndreUweh(m): 11:06pm On Jan 07, 2012
Yewe2011:

I'm Ghanaian and I kind of disagree

I'd say linguistically Hausa is more predominant outside of Nigeria

Culturally I'd say Yoruba is more influential outside of Nigeria

NO at the bolded.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by Revolva(m): 11:30pm On Jan 07, 2012
indeed the Yoruba culture is very influential outside Africa, the yoruba kingdom is very powerful
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by isalegan2: 11:40pm On Jan 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:

@WHOEVER is posting those videos. Stop wasting your time posting those videos. It doesn't win you this arguement. A couple of years ago, I attended a Church in Tottenham London. The choir group in that church sang mostly in Efik as the founder is Efik. This choir group consists of Sierra leoneans, Liberians, Ndigbo, etc.
Would I at this instance say Efik is the mostly influential language outside Nigeria?.

Calm down. smiley I simply embedded the videos. I also have been invited to Nigerian churches here in SE USA where all the ethnic groups mixed very well together. Two of the three curches were founded by Yorubas but had Igbo and Yoruba pastors and choir. The third one was pastored by a Ghanaian but had mostly Nigerian members of all groups.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by BlackPikiN(m): 12:41am On Jan 08, 2012
^^^^ But You know the video doesn't make any sense. The Greek guy also made a remix of flavour's song nwa baby.

It's like saying Xaphoon of Chiddy ba/ng knows Igbo as the only Nigerian language.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by emmatok(m): 12:43am On Jan 08, 2012
Andre Uweh:

My friend cool down.

If a Yoruba man says his tribe is the most influential, that should not be your problem.
Re: Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. by BlackPikiN(m): 12:53am On Jan 08, 2012
I have also noticed the word "chai", "chei" and "chineke me" in most Nigerian songs. 9ice, tuface has used so many Igbo words in their music.
Most Nigerians in the diaspora presently use the words chai and chei these days when they type or communicate.
So is it safe to say Igbo is the most used and influential songs today?
No! So Igbo and yoruba should please shut up abeg.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Emir of Bauchi's Brother, Rilwanu Sulaiman Adamu, Found Dead (Photos) / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians / Hollywood High School Hosts Ooni Of Ife In USA(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.