Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,904 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? (19939 Views)

NLC To Senators: Return Exotic Cars Or Face The Wrath Of Nigerians / NLC To Declare Nationwide Strike Against Electricity Tariff Hike, Fuel Scarcity / Strength And Weaknesses Of APC Presidential Aspirants: Who Wins, Who Loses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by monkeyleg: 1:07pm On Jan 05, 2012
@Londoner, you speak well. However the common Nigerian has been taken for a ride for far too long. I can assure you most will fall in line if they actually see services working for them. Nigerians just dont trust the governemt, and rightfully so
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by monkeyleg: 1:12pm On Jan 05, 2012
@londoner, you are so right. I am not against the removal per se, But before you make such a bond move, you must ensure adequate cushion has been put in place for the masses. Nigerians have just been seen as a very soft target. Jona should have used his notorious balls of steel to face NASS first, then the masses would be more receptive to this bitter medicine
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by honeric01(m): 1:16pm On Jan 05, 2012
Why should i trust Jonathan with our money after what he did to our foreign reserve? the ECA went "red" under his nose, if he did that without anything to show for it, why should i trust him now? my God no go gree.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by londoner: 1:17pm On Jan 05, 2012
Monkeyleg, sadly I don't hold much hope for Nigerians to fall in line. Too many have a scavenger mentality. Every attempt to progress is thwarted by personal greed, on just about every social level.

Much of the infrastructure which is absent is because people who are not even part of the government simply abscond. They feel intelligent that they have gotten away with it and many ordinary Nigerians young and old look on with more envy than they do anger.

If seeing infrastructure changes the Nigerian then we would not be seeing them play out the same old behaviour in countries that do provide these services.

They take their "something for nothing" mentality everywhere they go, their hosts complain about it wherever they go also.

Sometimes as well as identifying outward aggressors you have to talk to the man/woman in the mirror.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 05, 2012
If there is a strike today the people that will suffer the most are the same people NLC is seemingly fighting for - the market women, artisans etc

The transportation industry will lso suffer but it wont affect the oil and gas industries that much because you can't shut down an oil well. It will cost millions of dollars to restart it so Nigeria will continue to produce and sell oil. It will however have a positive effect on the exchange rate as we will be exporting (oil forms the biggest part of our exports) and not importing (as the sea and airports will not function)
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by anonimi: 1:33pm On Jan 05, 2012
The NLC & TUC should tell us FIRST why they did not protest to NASS for spending 25% overhead of our taxed income when Sanusi risked his job by confronting the legisLOOTERS in Abuja.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Knorkastur: 1:35pm On Jan 05, 2012
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jan 05, 2012
If Jonathan reverses the subsidy removal and reinstates the old price regime and abandon the deregulation, I will have to relocate from this country knowing fully well that there is no hope for my dear country, except Resource COntrol is constitutionally introduced.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Akintola11(m): 1:48pm On Jan 05, 2012
All this noise!! Nigeria needs the removal!! how will we grow and industrialize if we carry on this mass payment that in all honesty only helps the upper class, smugglers and all those who only care for their pocket!

a good article worth reading!-------> www.thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/blog/week-nigeria-subsidy-withdrawn
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by moshoodn(m): 1:56pm On Jan 05, 2012
Thanks omo tier. . . Way to go.
Let nigeria shut down for a week. . . We'll endure the hunger and pain for a week to achieve a better nation in the long run!
This Govt is highly insensitive and just puppets doing biddings of some external forces in play.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by monkeyleg: 1:58pm On Jan 05, 2012
@Londoner that is true. Mentality really needs to change, but that is so difficult in a country which has suffered such gross under development for so long. I really hope this whole thing truns out right for the common man
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by onyewec3: 2:07pm On Jan 05, 2012
what if our food finish, ? i hope say market womenj no go shout say dem wan go sell feed demself oo, NLC guys are rich dudes, dey are part of the privatisation SCAM, WHO BE THE BUSH MEAT AND WHO BE THE HUNTER
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by aljharem3: 2:12pm On Jan 05, 2012
onyewec3:

what if our food finish, ? i hope say market womenj no go shout say dem wan go sell feed demself oo, NLC guys are rich dudes, dey are part of the privatisation SCAM, WHO BE THE BUSH MEAT AND WHO BE THE HUNTER

so you want to compare this men ? Adams vs FG

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrcOHoiVhevwdEdk2vzEvGBnYGoG9ES5B1Bxc5tof8UGDh0Dix3w[/img]

Or

falana vs GEJ ?

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQM2ynrwVbVVsyiBD6QMA2xHENe82DUwcMfFgOB2EE2uqyE3lBW8Q[/img]

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZuoo7vKCDhhC0m1F1E81QzEqQ7uR725URcKraBTBp_neTyn7e[/img]
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by ceejay80s(m): 2:14pm On Jan 05, 2012
Una dey here dey blow grammar, the next step is assasination,wetin boko haram dey fight for sef? Is it for betterment of naija or dem just dey target christians? Na so dem mumu reach, instead make dem target iso rock, dem dey find innocent people
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by honeric01(m): 2:16pm On Jan 05, 2012
monkeyleg:

@Londoner that is true. Mentality really needs to change, but that is so difficult in a country which has suffered such gross under development for so long. I really hope this whole thing truns out right for the common man

Not under this kind of government.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by queensmith: 2:18pm On Jan 05, 2012
londoner:

Monkeyleg, I agree. Johnathan went about it in the wrong way. He needed to demonstrate that he is really committed to stopping unnecessary spending.

He should have started with the political class first. Even if it was a few weeks before this. Its insincere for him to have gone for this bold move which affects the common man/woman before curbing the excesses of the political machine.

That was wrong.

However, if Nigerians can look at this as an opportunity to at least try and force the government to introduce those measures then we can say there would be a lasting benefit of his mistake to Nigerians.
Londoner- there is nothing to suggest he has any intentions of curbing the gov.t spend at all?

I honestly dont think they have good intentions at all- The nigerian gov.t hasnt been able to demonstrate sensible investments. Theyve only shown all round incomptency regarding industry regulations.

I dont know why soo many are putting blind faith in this man when he's clearly showing us he's driving nigeria nowhere but down the drain  undecided undecided
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by OmoTier1(m): 2:19pm On Jan 05, 2012
londoner:

Omo_tier, lol

For every supposed "freeby" in the UK someone else pays for.

You talk of subsidized transport, have you thought about how it is paid for? Before you say "government", think about how the government comes about those funds.

Have you never asked yourself with the minute number of people that qualify for free travel, why the cost of travel for EVERYONE ELSE goes up EVERY YEAR?

There is no free education or healthcare for the majority of people per se, it is free AT THE POINT OF NEED.

I am proud and happy to be from a society which provides this and am happy to be one of the taxpayers, the mindset makes the difference. I don't expect to get something for nothing or to be carried by my government. I don't expect them to abuse me either.

Nigerians need to strike that balance personally, between not being taken for a ride and not expected to be carried by their government. It takes an amount of personal pride in yourself and your country. Maybe generally this is lacking.

@Topic, Nigerians need to make sure these unions do not hijack what is supposed to be a peoples revolt. They should be following your suit/wishes not the other way around. Many are simply on an ego trip.

@precious G, your idea hits the nail on the head directly. If people are to protest they should make sure it is for a lasting change. At the moment there are too many contradictions flying around about this protest. I guess it is a start.

Dude, we PAY WITH OUR TAXES!, That is the essence of government collecting HIGHER TAXES from the upper enchelon in the society to fund SENSIBLE social projects that would mean suffering in the land is reduced!

The reduced Buss pass to OAP and Students are funded from TAXES whatever form they come! Our FG collect ALL sorts of TAXES from the citizens and they citizens get nothing back!

As your relatives back home, before they get their pay, government removes first the TAX due her, why then should the citizens not benefit from SENSIBLE social projects from the government? , electronically certified Ode called beaf calls it freebies, really it is not it is called sustainable balance of welath and equity amongst the citizenry and if properly managed, you can get alot of people into a social standing that your economy grow with sustainable development!
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by OmoTier1(m): 2:22pm On Jan 05, 2012
What do you make of a Presidency that budgets N1.2bn for Feeding?, When newspapers are going electronic, and with all their ipads, Samsung galaxy, why on earth is the Presidency spending millions on newspaper when the average Nigerian can not feed three times daily

Last year, a Near Gulf Stream 5 worth N7.5bn was bought for the exclusive use of the wife of the President!, GEJ can show He means well for Nigerians by selling of that jet and using the money to construct 3 World class Hospital in Nigeria!
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by bigdoo: 2:41pm On Jan 05, 2012
The type of protest that will have the most desirable impact on the government would be the one directed around Aso Rock by protesters making sure that Jonathan is unable to come out or enter his residence and office. Also protesters should block any road or entrance to the senate buildings, making sure that senators are unable to sit and have their normal sessions. By so doing, they will hold the politicians hostage and hijack the nation. If protesters can achieve these, then Jonathan and his senators and ministers would be left with no alternative than to listen to the masses. As long as the president and his fellow politicians have the freedom to carry on with their usual work, then it is life as usual. They would not be moved even if the whole of Lagos, Benin, Ilorin or Enugu is burning. They only care about themselves.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by cap28: 2:45pm On Jan 05, 2012
Omo Tier1 you are making  a lot of  sense.

NIgerians pay a range of taxes and have to cope with terrible roads, substandard housing, non existent health care and substandard educational institutions.

what does the nigerian govt do with the revenue generated from the tax levied against nigerians?

I hope that nigerians will not allow goodluck jonathan and his bandwagon of criminals to get away with this callous and inhuman decision.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by bigdoo: 2:58pm On Jan 05, 2012
We must all take full advantage of this ample opportunity presented by the current wave of events in Nigeria and hold the country hostage.  Then the masses would dictate to the government how much the president, vice president, governors, senators, ministers, LGA chairmen, councillors, special advisers, etc would be receiving as salaries and allowances.  This is time of austerity measures and only the poor Nigerian masses would not bear the brunt of fuel subsidy removal.  We all know that the politicians do not have to pay for their fuel while they are in office.  Also when they are out of office they must have stolen enough money for them and their generations to come to be able to buy fuel even if it costs N1000 per litre.  Lastly the families of Jonathan and his vice should only get N10million for their feeding and entertainment instead of the N1trillion they have budgetted for themselves.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by jeniffer5(f): 3:01pm On Jan 05, 2012
jo_latern pls helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 05, 2012
bigdoo:

The type of protest that will have the most desirable impact on the government would be the one directed around Aso Rock by protesters making sure that Jonathan is unable to come out or enter his residence and office.  Also protesters should block any road or entrance to the senate buildings, making sure that senators are unable to sit and have their normal sessions.  By so doing, they will hold the politicians hostage and hijack the nation.  If protesters can achieve these, then Jonathan and his senators and ministers would be left with no alternative than to listen to the masses.  As long as the president and his fellow politicians have the freedom to carry on with their usual work, then it is life as usual.  They would not be moved even if the whole of Lagos, Benin, Ilorin or Enugu is burning.  They only care about themselves.

My guy you write as if the only politicians are from the federal level.If you are in naija giving this advice.Start the protest and hold the governor of your state and state assembly members hostage first before coming with this adv ice while u sit in the comfort of your house and push others to protest for you.Corruption is from the council,LG ,state level as well as the federal level.Our fight must be total and not because GEJ is from the sOUTHSOUTH.FIGHT UR GOVERNORS and LOCAL REPRESENTATIVE FIRST!!!
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by oradee: 3:08pm On Jan 05, 2012
hey, i purposely joined NL because i realized how unrealistic and callous Beaf's comments have been, how do u comfortably compare UK with Nigeria?.if the UK had as much wealth and Oil reserves as Nigeria, can u imagine the standard of living their citizens and foreigners would be living? pls Nigeria has endured enough in silence and this is the last straw for the camel, there are various leakages  from the govt and they cry the country is broke, their kids in foreign schools,foreign medical ''check ups'' and treatments, exorbitant furniture,clothing,entertainment,feeding,travel,, etc allowances are all leakages the govt should mop up, in their recent budget, there was no allocation for the unemployed,indigent,physically challenged or the old in the country (or are they nor part of Nigeria), if subsidy is the only was we get to partake in the National cake/crumbs, so be it,
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by vinna(f): 3:13pm On Jan 05, 2012
I am not protesting just the removal of Fuel Subsidy. I am asking that:

1. Every individual and Company that profited from the Fuel Subsidy Scam be SWIFTLY probed and STIFFLY sanctioned.

2. If Nigeria is indeed broke, then let the sacrifice start from the top. Let them also cut their salaries and allowances by 50% and use the fund to put things in place to cushion the effect of the Subsidy Removal on Nigerians.

3. Let them show us how much they plan to save from the subsidy removal and what they plan to do with such money.

4. Let our Senators pass a bill that metes out stiff punishment (not 8 Months or 2years) on any corrupt citizen no matter his/her status.

5. I ask that our lawmakers pass the FOI bill to pave way for Transparent Governance
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 05, 2012
PointB:

They say they are fighting for poor masses. How many poor people can afford to 'stockpile'? Poor people who ordinary have  to go out daily to earn their daily bread are being asked to stockpile. Well, I wait with bated breath.

I beg make u help me ask them.They are nothing but sheer hypocrites.They have been settled by marketers and now want to stockpile them house with necessities of life with sand sand and not money.I guess they will advice the poor to stockpile drugs and other medicals when they fall ill during the protest
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by oradee: 3:27pm On Jan 05, 2012
, and for those of us who served in villages, our aged and less privilledge people have suffered and being stretched long enough. this is an unnecessary suffering many cannot endure or cope under, i totally feel like an Israelite in the Egyptian era, i think everyone in AsoRock should be evacuated. their presence there isnt making any positive difference on the lives of nigerians and their absence wouldnt either, we need to start over (new constitution,new leaders,new everything), the army,airforce,navy,police,, civilians should all speak against this broad day light govt disguised embezzlement, its not the first time we heard of development from the removal of subsidy (diesel and petrol in OBJ's time) but this will be the last.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by OmoTier1(m): 3:29pm On Jan 05, 2012
@ Point B,
The struggle will fund itself, that is what history has always shown, if people get to a stage where they think the government is not willing to listen, then the INDIVIDUALs in government becomes the victim of the protest!

The beauty of this protest unlike other protest in Nigeria in the past, is that the people want to OCCUPY NIGERIA and starve government off funds! Right now any sane investor wanting to do business with the FG will be reassessing her position and holding back. Did I hear you ask who will be the end loser?, Nigerians, nope, After the revolt, and the establishment is shaken, the government would be forced to listen and act as the people wants!
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by kizito96(m): 3:34pm On Jan 05, 2012
Another wahala for Jonathan
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by samstels: 3:38pm On Jan 05, 2012
If i am GEJ ,i for don revert back to 65 naira pms price ,bring back the cabal to continue the business ,after 4 years ,i carry my bag waka.

Naija people ,make una reason, nothing good comes easy oooo.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jan 05, 2012
On whose auspices is NLC attempting to shut down the nation's economy? sad shocked Who gave them the right to dictate government policy?  angry. These corrupt thugs and their covert fuel marketer sponsors should be arrested and prosecuted for economic sabotage!! Since when did an executive policy become a labor /collective bargaining issue under which and only under which they can declare strike going by the provisions of the Trade Unions Act? Was there a ballot under which their members voted to go on strike? Why impose strike action on non-members and regular citizens?

NLC has turned itself into a lawless behemoth. If you hate a state policy, protest and mobilize to throw them out of power at the next ballot, not shutting down the national economy. How I wish Nigeria was a civilized society where nonsense like this will attract jail and confiscation of personal and corporate assets of the unionists. Nonsense!
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by OmoTier1(m): 3:42pm On Jan 05, 2012
kalokalo:

On whose auspices is NLC attempting to shut down the nation's economy? sad shocked Who gave them the right to dictate government policy?  angry. These corrupt thugs and their covert fuel marketer sponsors should be arrested and prosecuted for economic sabotage!! Since when did an executive policy become a labor /collective bargaining issue under which and only under which they can declare strike going by the provisions of the Trade Unions Act? Was there a ballot under which their members voted to go on strike? Why impose strike action on non-members and regular citizens?

NLC has turned itself into a lawless behemoth. If you hate a state policy, protest and mobilize to throw them out of power at the next ballot, not shutting down the national economy. How I wish Nigeria was a civilized society where nonsense like this will attract jail and confiscation of personal and corporate assets of the unionists. Nonsense!
Abeg go Educate yourself about Labour Laws in Nigeria, Wait until Monday, you would know who gave them the authorization,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NASS Resumes Tuesday Amidst Tension / Your Victory Well-Deserved, Marwa Congratulates Tinubu / #ondodecides2016: Supreme Court Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.