Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou (220730 Views)

Relocating To Cotonou / Pls I Need Guide On How To Get To Cotonou And Also Where To Get Things Cheap / Cotonou, Benin Republic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Ugosample(m): 1:07pm On May 10, 2016
Solitin40:

D u know it is illegal and pple don't survive like that and you don't have connection how to move from border to border Bro *** in arrears

No be me wan embark on that dangerous journey o.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by micernest: 3:21pm On May 10, 2016
Ugosample:

Well.... You have a point.That journey can be hard if you don't have enough money, or you don't speak French

LOL... People, pump the breaks. I am not trying to migrate (or do anything illegal), thanks. I am very comfortable here in Nigeria. I just love traveling, mixing with the locals and experiencing different cultures. I want to see West Africa (by road) as much as I can, already seen three countries but it is time to see more. For East Africa, I am making a trip to Kenya and Tanzania next month(backpacking five cities in the two countries, and will get to see Kilimanjaro which I am pretty stoked about).

For north Africa, I am doing Morocco and Tunisia in Dec/Jan hopefully. Wanted to do Mali in Oct with a friend (who is also doing Sudan; that's my friend's thing - going to 'dangerous' places) hence why I asked those questions.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Ugosample(m): 4:39pm On May 10, 2016
micernest:

LOL... People, pump the breaks. I am not trying to migrate (or do anything illegal), thanks. I am very comfortable here in Nigeria. I just love traveling, mixing with the locals and experiencing different cultures. I want to see West Africa (by road) as much as I can, already seen three countries but it is time to see more. For East Africa, I am making a trip to Kenya and Tanzania next month(backpacking five cities in the two countries, and will get to see Kilimanjaro which I am pretty stoked about).

For north Africa, I am doing Morocco and Tunisia in Dec/Jan hopefully. Wanted to do Mali in Oct with a friend (who is also doing Sudan; that's my friend's thing - going to 'dangerous' places) hence why I asked those questions.

No be me assume anything o bros grin grin you are a strong man and you can do as you like, lol cheesy grin

Okay this is how it goes.
The sure way of getting to Mali is through the Mali/CIV Border.
I would have recommended Ghana/Burkina/Mali route, but as an alleged novice that you may be, I do not advice that.

Now, the busfare from Abidjan to Bamako is 30000 CFA; and prepare to spend two days on the road (nobody warned me about this grin It was looking near in the map, lol cheesy)

Hold extra cash for tips, and to stamp your passport at the border, as a Nigerian, you will pay via your nose... But the max they would charge you is 10000CFA.

Now I must earn you, there are no much fun sppts in Bamako like that, and the main tourist attractions are further north to Dogon and the rest. Head in that direction at your risk.
Getting from Lagos to Abidjan is easy. just use young shall grow in Maza maza.

ask me anything else.
Safe journey.

1 Like

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by micernest: 6:23pm On May 10, 2016
Ugosample:

No be me assume anything o bros grin grin you are a strong man and you can do as you like, lol cheesy grin

Okay this is how it goes.
The sure way of getting to Mali is through the Mali/CIV Border.
I would have recommended Ghana/Burkina/Mali route, but as an alleged novice that you may be, I do not advice that.

Now, the busfare from Abidjan to Bamako is 30000 CFA; and prepare to spend two days on the road (nobody warned me about this grin It was looking near in the map, lol cheesy)

Hold extra cash for tips, and to stamp your passport at the border, as a Nigerian, you will pay via your nose... But the max they would charge you is 10000CFA.

Now I must earn you, there are no much fun sppts in Bamako like that, and the main tourist attractions are further north to Dogon and the rest. Head in that direction at your risk.
Getting from Lagos to Abidjan is easy. just use young shall grow in Maza maza.

ask me anything else.
Safe journey.

Wow. Thanks a million Ugo.

That means I will spend more time on the road, and I will probably just have a week to spare for that trip else I will become self-employed lol.

I was even considering Timbuktu. Now it seems the journey will be a long one, and I can totally relate to looking at a map and thinking "oh it is close."
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Ugosample(m): 6:36pm On May 10, 2016
micernest:

That means I will spend more time on the road, and I will probably just have a week to spare for that trip else I will become self-employed lol.

I was even considering Timbuktu. Now it seems the journey will be a long one, and I can totally relate to looking at a map and thinking "oh it is close."

An unnecessarily long journey. If the roads were in better shape, and the immigration guys are not overzealous, the journey would have been shorter, and more fun.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Ugosample(m): 6:38pm On May 10, 2016
micernest:

One more thing.....
If you can, you can continue from Bamako to Dakar.....
That experience will be an eye opener, but prepare to spend another one and a half to two days on the road.

1 Like

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Ugosample(m): 11:20am On May 11, 2016
micernest:

Remember one more thing.....
Snap plenty photos......

1 Like

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by donk552(m): 7:03pm On May 13, 2016
Pls guy in d house, hw much wil 50kg bag of rice cost in cotonou right now
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by electronic(m): 2:44pm On May 18, 2016
Guys please i am in need of information considering buying stuff from missebo market in Cotonou. Igot good advice from here from previous posts about getting to the market. i just want to know the following details please.

1. What is the current exchange rate of 1000 cfa to Naira? or do i use the internet rates to calculate.
2. Can i get good shoes for men/clothes etc?
3. Is it permitted to pass the border with goods worth 20,000 Naira Across the border without paying duty?
4. excluding transport fair would 10000 Naira get me good stuff from the Missebo Market?

Any info would help thanks guys cool
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Afrika011: 3:34pm On May 18, 2016
Good afternoon all and hail all the contributors to this thread. You guys have been fantastic!!!!!

Here i come with my own inquiry. its quite urgent and I hope to get a response soonest. Thanks in Advance.

My inquiry;
I plan to go on a trip to songhai farms in portnovo with my class mates. We plan to go this weekend and we are considering travelling with our university school bus.
We all have our international/ecowas passport. I heard we will be needing some documents for the Bus to make the trip.

1. What is laise passe? will we need it ? How much does it costs? and where do we get it?
2. What are other things we need to prepare for ?
3. What are other necessary documents needed for us and the bus

Thanks in anticipation of a swift response!!!!!!!
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 21, 2016
Please how much is the official rate of naira to CFA now?Not the black market exchange rate.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by donk552(m): 2:10pm On May 22, 2016
heaven4me:
Please how much is the official rate of naira to CFA now?Not the black market exchange rate.
2.94cfa to N1
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by KelvinLamar: 8:36pm On May 22, 2016
schboy3:
Hi KelvinLamar, how was ur trip to Abidjan, so can share ur experience. Am also planninq such, buh ah just to wanna prepare maself before then.

Abidjan is splendid city, great city. It is by far the best African city I've been to yet. I lived in Abidjan for one month and roughly one week with a family host, so it helped cut my spending. Abidjan have the very basic of a modern society: Electricity and clean water. Abidjan is a lot much more organized than, say, Lagos. And it has a very large expatriate population with an above average night/fun life. Modern bars with Acheke joints flanking them are scattered all over the city. The road network is great.

I can go on and on and on!!!! So many good stuffs. I didn't spend on food and internet(I got that for free at my host family) so I can't give you an idea on cost of living. But if there is a Francophone city worth visiting, it is Abidjan.

I am currently in Accra. And it is as shitty as Lagos. Just less expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Nobody: 11:22pm On May 22, 2016
@donk552,thanks for the into but let me ask this,if naira is paid into ones account and one wants to withdraw it in Cotonou banks, say ecobank ,is it that rate that one can get the money?
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 22, 2016
@kelvinlarmar,how is things in Abidjan compared to accra?I learnt their ladies are cute! Is it true?let's hear more from u,thanks.

1 Like

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by unclephilio123(m): 9:59am On May 23, 2016
Good day to evryone in d house!Ur attension is urgently needed peeps of God,A frnd of mine want to travel to cutonou and he is having his internatnal passport to be disvirgined @ d boarders.He was aware I travelled there early dis year and now ask me d cost of stamping his passport @ d boarder,but I can't provide answer to dis cos during my own trip,I was extorted.I nid exact charges for stamping international passport now, so for him not to fall victim as I was.
Waiting to hear from my gurus.ASAP
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by KelvinLamar: 12:32pm On May 23, 2016
heaven4me:
@kelvinlarmar,how is things in Abidjan compared to accra?I learnt their ladies are cute! Is it true?let's hear more from u,thanks.

Abidjan is far more advanced and organized than Accra. Accra is just a half-baked version of Lagos.

For the ladies, yeah. They are really really cute. For me, I Stayed INA middle class neighborhood, so you'd find a lot of those really cute girls around. And, most of the really cute ones I've seen around speak a bit of English since they attend decent schools.

For Accra girls, not much there. Unless perhaps the ones that have Lebanese ancestry like their TV stars(There are lots of them Lebanese-Ghanian in Accra). You cab still find pretty girls here and there.

But Abidjan is the city to be in.

2 Likes

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by writemeshyahoo: 4:23pm On May 23, 2016
Try Dakar, then thank me later.

KelvinLamar:

Abidjan is splendid city, great city. It is by far the best African city I've been to yet. I lived in Abidjan for one month and roughly one week with a family host, so it helped cut my spending. Abidjan have the very basic of a modern society: Electricity and clean water. Abidjan is a lot much more organized than, say, Lagos. And it has a very large expatriate population with an above average night/fun life. Modern bars with Acheke joints flanking them are scattered all over the city. The road network is great.

I can go on and on and on!!!! So many good stuffs. I didn't spend on food and internet(I got that for free at my host family) so I can't give you an idea on cost of living. But if there is a Francophone city worth visiting, it is Abidjan.

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by unclephilio123(m): 4:38pm On May 23, 2016
unclephilio123:
Good day to evryone in d house!Ur attension is urgently needed peeps of God,A frnd of mine want to travel to cutonou and he is having his internatnal passport to be disvirgined @ d boarders.He was aware I travelled there early dis year and now ask me d cost of stamping his passport @ d boarder,but I can't provide answer to dis cos during my own trip,I was extorted.I nid exact charges for stamping international passport now, so for him not to fall victim as I was.
Waiting to hear from my gurus.ASAP
Pls gurus attend to my plea
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 23, 2016
@kelvinlarmar,a beg I sent a pm can u reply me let's y'all better because I have so many to talk with u,thanks.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 23, 2016
@kelvin,please I sent u a pm kindly reply me let's chat up better
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Nobody: 11:21pm On May 23, 2016
Aiit,thanks
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by jacko007(m): 6:27am On May 24, 2016
good morning guys, 1..please whats the exchange rate of naira to cfa at the border? 2. Where is the best place to change your naira to cfa. Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by KelvinLamar: 7:38am On May 24, 2016
jacko007:
good morning guys,
1..please whats the exchange rate of naira to cfa at the border?
2. Where is the best place to change your naira to cfa.
Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Terrible mehn. Try changing at Sabo. Something between 1400 Naira against 1000 CFA and 1800 to 1000 CFA. That is from two weeks ago. Naira is still taking a nosedive. So, it might be worst.

Last time I went to the airport in Abidjan, 1000CFA was 1000 Naira.

Yes, it is bad.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by jacko007(m): 7:56am On May 24, 2016
KelvinLamar:

Terrible mehn. Try changing at Sabo. Something between 1400 Naira against 1000 CFA and 1800 to 1000 CFA. That is from two weeks ago. Naira is still taking a nosedive. So, it might be worst.

Last time I went to the airport in Abidjan, 1000CFA was 1000 Naira.

Yes, it is bad.

thats a big problem....haba allah nigeria
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by dreamcast95: 10:21am On May 24, 2016
suxes2006:
^^^^^^

tell me please , where you can rent a car in Dubai ?

[URL="http://cargetsrent.com/"]car hire in UAE[/URL]
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by elderken(m): 5:55pm On May 24, 2016
unclephilio123:
Pls gurus attend to my plea
No official price as long it's a Virgin passport. Let himm prepare to spend up to #6k naira including yellow card.
Here's a little breakdown
Yellow card : #2k
Stamping @ the Nigeria side #1k-#1,500 depending on the person.
Stamping @ Benin rep side is also #1k
Note: after he's through stamping your passport, it's better you keep it away, where it can't be seen and walk down paying those little idiot #50 or #100 as you go. If they discover you've a Virgin passport, they'll want to also disvirgin your pocket. Cheers
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by princfred(m): 6:21pm On May 24, 2016
Please what's the cost of tipper Mercedes Benz 809 and above in Cotonou . I want to buy one.
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by Ugosample(m): 2:00pm On May 25, 2016
KelvinLamar:

I agree 100%
But Oga, Accra is expensive o!!!!
There is nothing really special though about Accra, but there is light.
But if you can, go to cape coast and have fun.

Continue roaming about.....
It's good for you
Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by KelvinLamar: 2:15pm On May 25, 2016
Ugosample:

I agree 100%

It's good for you

Well, for just 4Cedis you can buy fried rice with chicken and spaghetti and maybe sprinklings of vegetables. And that is less than 200 Naira(Official) rate.. If I need chicken in Nigeria, I will be spending from 500 upwards.

That for me is cheap. And houses are cheap here. I don't know about Hotels though, I've never stayed in one during all my travels. But house rent and buying a house is quite cheap.

For light, it is less shitty than Lagos. But the electricity problems is almost the same. Better than Nigeria but still bad.

I stayed in Abidjan for close to two Months and the lights never went off. Not once.

I am headed to Cape coast in August. Will probably spend two weeks there. I passed through it and it was just amazing.

Where have life taken you to? There is nothing as fun as roaming about.. If you have the right bank account and roaming about for the right reasons.

1 Like

Re: Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou by KelvinLamar: 2:18pm On May 25, 2016
Ugosample:

I agree 100%

It's good for you

Communication is also way cheaper here. They are robbing us in Nigeria.
You can get 200MB of legitimate airtel data for 2Cedis. That is less than 100 Naira.

I bought Vodafone and subscribed for the " X" package. I paid just 11Cedis and I got 1.7GB with free calls to Vodafone X users and free SMS to all Vodafone users.

Can any network beat that in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (46) (Reply)

Poland Work Visa / Where Are Nigerians In Australia . / Nigerians At Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.