Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? (6220 Views)

How NLC And TUC Betrayed #occupynigeria: An Insider Account / #occupynigeria: Lagos Protest At Gani Fawehinmi Park, Ojota. / #occupynigeria Protest Goes Cyber. Govt Officials Private Numbers Released (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by mukina2: 3:47pm On Jan 06, 2012
yunusxonline Yunus Ahmed Jnr
Nigerians in NewYork Plan to #OCCUPYNigeria House On 2nd Ave &44th On Tueday Jan10 @eggheader @SarhanNews @NGNYouthForum @AJStream
https://twitter.com/yunusxonline/status/155277169319362560
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 06, 2012
great
it shows that we have started waking up from our docility,
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by Mrkelvyn08(m): 3:57pm On Jan 06, 2012
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Nigeria Read and say no to subsidy removal
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by ceejay80s(m): 4:11pm On Jan 06, 2012
Dat one na story! Wetin dem one do? Many of dem wey dey hide for sake of deporting dem. Abeg talk something else jare
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by heynew: 4:15pm On Jan 06, 2012
Finally we all have been emancipated from our timidity, thank God
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by mukina2: 4:16pm On Jan 06, 2012
#OccupyNigeria House NYC to join the march on the Nigerian Consulate in New York City on Tuesday Jan 10 12 Noon SMS +1(646) 770-1291
https://twitter.com/SaharaReporters/status/155305493894668288
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by Afam4eva(m): 4:19pm On Jan 06, 2012
Nigerian are waking up gradually. The juju no dey work again.
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by Goshen360(m): 4:26pm On Jan 06, 2012
ceejay80s:

Dat one na story! Wetin dem one do? . [b]Many of dem wey dey hide for sake of deporting dem. Abeg talk something else jare[/b]

You are wrong! Undocumented immigrants dont get deported without a crime. I live here in the US and the fact you dont hv residence doesnt mean you cannot express yourself. So it is not right for you to say that, thanks
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 06, 2012
@goshen
dont mind him
they areBeaf's people
recruited to demoralize
they tried to do the same to the UK ProEtstors but were unsuccesful, they posted all sorts of things to discourage them hiding under the same guise and same modus oprendi, click UK protest page on the front page you will see what i am talking about
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by Goshen360(m): 4:33pm On Jan 06, 2012
ehie:

@goshen
dont mind him
they areBeaf's people
recruited to demoralize
they tried to do the same to the UK ProEtstors but were unsuccesful, they posted all sorts of things to discourage them hiding under the same guise and same modus oprendi, click UK protest page on the front page you will see what i am talking about

Thanks, I dont get discourage by people anyway but when they give false info and am 101% sure, then i dispute. We will fight together, God bless you.
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by 2mch(m): 4:34pm On Jan 06, 2012
[size=28pt]Mu che che che che che che che. Who are the cowards now Beaf and Company? Who are the cowards?[/size]
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by friedrice1: 4:38pm On Jan 06, 2012
It still is a mystery how the cost of subsidy shot up to 1.3 trillion naira in just one year of President Goodluck Jonathan's administration, especially since ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo's administration spent 300 billion Naira per year. When the Obasanjo government left power in 2007, [size=14pt]the country was no longer in debt and the 30 billion dollar foreign debt that Obasanjo met when he came to power in 1999 was fully paid off. Today, under the administration of Jonathan, the country owes debt to the tune of 30 billion dollars and is still borrowing.[/size] [size=15pt]Foreign reserves have been depleted from 80 billion dollars during the Obasanjo administration to 33 billion dollars under the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.[/size]

[size=14pt]When the Obasanjo administration left power in 2007, 23 billion dollars was left in the Excess Crude Account after he built it up from nothing in 1999. Today, the account is empty because the money has been squandered and the account scrapped.

In the 2012 budget, President Jonathan allocated 1 billion Naira for his feeding and several other wasteful statehouse expenditure running into several million dollars. For instance, money allocated for feeding the presidential family was a reported 300 million naira
[/size]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Nigeria
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by UgoBabe(f): 4:55pm On Jan 06, 2012
goshen360:

You are wrong! Undocumented immigrants dont get deported without a crime. I live here in the US and the fact you dont hv residence doesnt mean you cannot express yourself. So it is not right for you to say that, thanks

WHAT RUBBISH!!!! UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS if picked up stand the risk of getting deported back to where they came from - whether they committed a crime or not,

You try being the undocummented immigrant expressing yourself without having the right to be here LEGALLY!!!! , and come back and tell us how your ordeal was, i think it would behoove you not to draw attention to yourself until you get your situation sorted out, leave all that rights talk for later, i live in the US bullcrap so what? clap for yourself
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by UgoBabe(f): 5:05pm On Jan 06, 2012
I STARTED ASKING THIS QUESTION WHEN THEre was talk about naijas in jand protesting near a tube station- so let me ask it again, WHAT EFFECT do nigerians in the diaspora hope to accomplish by protesting in western countries? I understand we may empathize with the cause at home, but how in the world is that effective? what does it do to help the cause on ground in Nigeria?

Subsidy removal is not an issue which effects the global community- it directly effects day nigerians, its not a problem that is directly brought upon by western interference- this is about poor nigerian leadership- so why in the world are we taking our cause to the streets outside of nigeria?? i dont think Egyptians did that when they were doing their protests, or the Libyans, why are we washing our dirty laundry in public?
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by kizito96(m): 5:11pm On Jan 06, 2012
Good Move
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by violent(m): 5:12pm On Jan 06, 2012
UgoBabe:

WHAT RUBBISH!!!! UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS if picked up stand the risk of getting deported back to where they came from - whether they committed a crime or not,

You try being the undocummented immigrant expressing yourself without having the right to be here LEGALLY!!!! , and come back and tell us how your ordeal was, i think it would behoove you not to draw attention to yourself until you get your situation sorted out,  leave all that rights talk for later, i live in the US bullcrap so what? clap for yourself

It will be insane to assume that civilized security outfits just go out and "pick" people up like fruits!. . that's only possible in one place in the entire world--> NIGERIA!!

People don't get accosted in the street for their immigration status, unless such a person is involved in something illegal or the Border force have specific information.
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by jaybee3(m): 5:15pm On Jan 06, 2012
violent:

It will be insane to assume that civilized security outfits just go out and "pick" people up like fruits!. . that's only possible in one place in the entire world--> NIGERIA!!

People don't get accosted in the street for their immigration status, unless such a person is involved in something illegal or the Border force have specific information.

They actually do ya know. UK border force are known to turn up unannounced at major transport hubs. Their was a particular case in one of 'em recent UK border force series on tv whereby some dude was picked up at stratford station

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/embed/SU0Xx-u1FUs[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU0Xx-u1FUs
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by UgoBabe(f): 5:20pm On Jan 06, 2012
violent:

stay dere and be secure in your ignorance,

thats the same way in nyc- police officers do not frisk and search at random (ask black males),

thats the same way racisim does not exist in the western world,

you have certain protections on books- but you are at the mercy of those enforcing the rules,
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by UgoBabe(f): 5:22pm On Jan 06, 2012
jay bee:

They actually do ya know. UK border force are known to turn up unannounced at major transport hubs. Their was a particular case in one of 'em recent UK border force series on tv whereby some dude was picked up at stratford station

thank you,

ask people (of the spanish persuasion) who look foreign who live in arizona what has been happening since their immigration policies have been re-vamped- a whole lot of stops and checks,
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by UgoBabe(f): 5:26pm On Jan 06, 2012
violent:

i get annoyed by people like you who assume that only bad comes from nigeria or as in this your comment there is an underlying assumption that nigeria is opposite from civilized,
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by violent(m): 5:41pm On Jan 06, 2012

OK i agree, maybe my statement was in the absolute.  Yes, they have the power to do so, but it will only happen in very unusual once a blue moon circumstance.  I haven't heard of any other case outside of this stratford scenario!

It will particularly be unwise to think the UK border force or even the Police could accost a specific group of peaceful protesters who have in all likelihood obtained permissions ahead of the protests, if they do so, they run the risk of being reported or embarrassed for harassment. There's a report on daily mail that the Police are often very careful about asking a detained suspect about his/her immigration status, cos they are careful of being embarrassed for racism and what not.

UgoBabe:

i get annoyed by people like you who assume that only bad comes from nigeria or as in this your comment there is an underlying assumption that nigeria is opposite from civilized,

you may have mistaken me, my argument is not that only bad comes from Nigeria, my argument is that Nigeria is a fcking hell---the devil's own personal abode!. . .tell me just a single thing that is civilized about Nigeria, just one!
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by jaybee3(m): 5:47pm On Jan 06, 2012
violent:

OK i agree, maybe my statement was in the absolute.  Yes, they have the power to do so, but it will only happen in very unusual once a blue moon circumstance.  I haven't heard of any other case outside of this stratford scenario!

It will particularly be unwise to think the UK border force or even the Police could accost a specific group of peaceful protesters who have in all likelihood obtained permissions ahead of the protests, if they do so, they run the risk of being reported or embarrassed for harassment. There's a report on daily mail that the Police are often very careful about asking a detained suspect about his/her immigration status, cos they are careful of being embarrassed for racism and what not.

you may have mistaken me, my argument is not that only bad comes from Nigeria, my argument is that Nigeria is a fcking hell---the devil's own personal abode!. . .tell me just a single thing that is civilized about Nigeria, just one!

Trust me unannounced raids by UK border force agencies happens from time to time but it definitely wouldn't be appropriate in the protest scenario as it would be classed as unlawful.

It's like they turning up at a Nigeria vs Ghana match at Wembley knowing fully well that they are guaranteed to arrest tons of illegal immigrants. I think Carlton Cole actually got reprimanded for cracking a joke on tweeter about that
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by tianshie(m): 5:55pm On Jan 06, 2012
@ugobabe

You ask what effect Nigerians protesting in Western countries have on the issues back home. I'll tell you how it helps: for one thing it brings the issues burning back home to the forceful notice of the government of the country where the protest happens; it sensitizes the people of that country, wins sympathy and builds a quiet, powerful, clamour as the local people add their voices--- this gives our problem a global shape, and global means more pressure on the Jonathan administration; if all Nigerians in the different countries in the West hold their own protests, that not only gives the Nigerians protesting at home the courage to soldier on, knowing Nigerians outside of our shores feel, empathize, with the problems back home, it also makes the effect of our protests multi-fanged, so that it seems that the Jonathan administration is being attacked from every direction all at once. Eventually it would cause the home government to switch sides (if they have been on Jonathan's) if we make enough noise, and show that all Nigerians share a collective humanity, a collective heart, and if my brother or sister suffers at home, I suffer wherever I am anywhere in the world.
This is why we protest. I hope you will join.
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by UgoBabe(f): 6:14pm On Jan 06, 2012
tianshie:

@ugobabe

You ask what effect Nigerians protesting in Western countries have on the issues back home. I'll tell you how it helps: for one thing it brings the issues burning back home to the forceful notice of the government of the country where the protest happens; it sensitizes the people of that country, wins sympathy and builds a quiet, powerful, clamour as the local people add their voices--- this gives our problem a global shape, and global means more pressure on the Jonathan administration; if all Nigerians in the different countries in the West hold their own protests, that not only gives the Nigerians protesting at home the courage to soldier on, knowing Nigerians outside of our shores feel, empathize, with the problems back home, it also makes the effect of our protests multi-fanged, so that it seems that the Jonathan administration is being attacked from every direction all at once. Eventually it would cause the home government to switch sides (if they have been on Jonathan's) if we make enough noise, and show that all Nigerians share a collective humanity, a collective heart, and if my brother or sister suffers at home, I suffer wherever I am anywhere in the world.
This is why we protest. I hope you will join.

okkk thanx, food for thought
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by UgoBabe(f): 6:16pm On Jan 06, 2012
violent:

. .tell me just a single thing that is civilized about Nigeria, just one!

i will give you two

its compansionate and loving people,

its cultures,

and i can continue
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by queensmith: 6:18pm On Jan 06, 2012
long story short- you can protest regardless of your immigration status. your unlikely to be checked for your status unless u are doing something unlawful

i must point out those being picked up at stratford station were probably travelling without a valid ticket. over courageous if u ask me

so once again dont be discouraged by bad belle people trying to make u feel bad, u can live life to the fullest without papers, so long as u stay out of trouble!
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by Webbullion(m): 6:19pm On Jan 06, 2012
tianshie - i dont think you understand that there is a conspiracy between our government and the western world, especially United State. This is what they want, so nigeria protest wouldn't not make much impact. there is always a conspiracy in a country. The rich and powerful control the affairs, Why do think Okojo ewele is hustling to sell the policies, abeg naija don dey open eye very soon there will revolution in this country,

If only we know what we have as a nation, the western people would be at our command , they will beg to come to nigeria.
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by Goshen360(m): 6:23pm On Jan 06, 2012
UgoBabe:

You try being the undocummented immigrant expressing yourself without having the right to be here LEGALLY!!!! , and come back and tell us how your ordeal was, i think it would behoove you not to draw attention to yourself until you get your situation sorted out,  leave all that rights talk for later, i live in the US bullcrap so what? clap for yourself

You have just raise unnecessary argument here. I stand by my word. People perish for lack of knowledge while other fear for unknown. We are talking about New York and Nigeria house in New York, not protesting against government of the US. Every state in the United States are bind by their immigration law under the federal law. New York state is not a state anti-immigrant state unlike some core white states. If you are talking about core white states here on this subject of protesting, then i will agree with you. I live in New York and know this thing. Infact, NY survive by undocumented immigrants. Do you know how many undocumented are here in NY that still express their protest in occupied wall street. If fear is your issue, it's not mine.
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by UgoBabe(f): 6:29pm On Jan 06, 2012
queensmith:

long story short- you can protest regardless of your immigration status. your unlikely to be checked for your status unless u are doing something unlawful

i must point out those being picked up at stratford station were probably travelling without a valid ticket. over courageous if u ask me

so once again dont be discouraged by bad belle people trying to make u feel bad, u can live life to the fullest without papers, so long as u stay out of trouble!

the point in my comment wasnt to discourage people from participating- but to caution this noise about undoc immigrants being able to live in foreign countries with total abandon, word to the wise, take if you want - if you are an undoc immigrant YOU DO NOT WANT TO BRING ABOUT ATTENTION ON YOURSELF THAT will question your status,
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by queensmith: 6:32pm On Jan 06, 2012
^^ i dont see why anybody will raise the point of illegal immigrants when we are talking about protests. Thats just bad belle. Unless u have seen a case in britain or new york where protestors have been arrested for ilegally entering the country then you have brought up an irrelevant point.

these are people (illegal or otherwise) living in a 100x more comfortable a country yet still taking time out to protest for those that are suffering. What does anybodies status have to do with this?
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by UgoBabe(f): 6:48pm On Jan 06, 2012
goshen360:

You have just raise unnecessary argument here. I stand by my word. People perish for lack of knowledge while other fear for unknown. We are talking about New York and Nigeria house in New York, not protesting against government of the US. Every state in the United States are bind by their immigration law under the federal law. New York state is not a state anti-immigrant state unlike some core white states. If you are talking about core white states here on this subject of protesting, then i will agree with you. I live in New York and know this thing. Infact, NY survive by undocumented immigrants. Do you know how many undocumented are here in NY that still express their protest in occupied wall street. If fear is your issue, it's not mine.

NIGERIA HOUSE is in NEW YORK and not subject to the laws of Nigeria but that of New York and the USA.  When i made my comment, it wasnt to stop anyone from doing what they want to do, i just wanted to point out that it is a fallacy that will put one in SERIOUS trouble to think that as an undocummneted immigrant one can live anyhow they feel or bring irresponsible attention upon themselves,

if you live in new york you will know that there have been complaints by civil liberty groups about police officers randomly targeting black and hispanic (males) at a greater number than their white counterparts, this is police action, and most times it is substantiated by nothing more than the police making the excuse that the person fit a descritption,

all to say that an undocumneted person NEED NOT BE COMMITTING A CRIME other than being a BLACK PERSON minding their business and they can STILL be subjected to a police stop.  That police stop can turn into a detention which could lead to a removal to federal custody if it is found that you are an UNDOCUMMENTED ILLEGAL ALIEN.  YOU DO NOT BELONG!!!! end of discussion.    NOt meant to scare anyone but that is the reality of things,

what rights do you then have? sure, you were illegally stopped- but that is not going to clean the fact that you are an illegal with no rights to even be in the country,
Re: Nigerians In New York Plan To #occupynigeria House On January 10th? by UgoBabe(f): 6:55pm On Jan 06, 2012
queensmith:

^^ i dont see why anybody will raise the point of illegal immigrants when we are talking about protests. Thats just bad belle. Unless u have seen a case in britain or new york where protestors have been arrested for ilegally entering the country then you have brought up an irrelevant point.

these are people (illegal or otherwise) living in a 100x more comfortable a country yet still taking time out to protest for those that are suffering. What does anybodies status have to do with this?

i wasnt the person who mentioned illegal immigrants, i just made a comment on it,

AGAIN, illegal or not, you can do whatever the blazes you feel like doing- it doesnt pain me, am just saying that the reality of things is that it would be foolhardy of one whether naija, spanish, asian, whatever, quite foolhardy to bring unnecessary attention to yourself when your status is not sure, (these sort of public events - you arenot in control of what may happen) i tell ya it would be very ironic if you get deported BACK to the place you were trying to avoid being in by hiding in a foreign country with illegal status, am sure we are just talking for talking sake bc i dont even see a naija undoc coming out to do any protesting- lets keep it real,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oldest And Youngest Serving Governors / Ogun Lawmaker’s Wife Kidnapped / New Video Emgerges Of The Nigeria Army Attack On The Hussainiyyah (Shia Mosque)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.