Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,505 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal (14716 Views)

Buhari Leaves For Qatar, Pictured With Sanusi / Shahida Sanusi On Day3 Of Her Wedding Ceremony (Photos) / Picture Of Eze Ndigbo Of Kano With Sanusi. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Seun(m): 12:29am On Jan 07, 2012
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 07:57:33 -0500 (EST)
To:
Subject: Greetings and questions, Thank you for reading.

Dear Sir,

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I know you are a very busy man and I hope you will reply even if briefly.

I am Zainab Mahmoud, 23, a doctor working in Ireland.
I stole your email address from email threads from my father (he does not know I am sending this!)

I have read a lot about the current situation in Nigeria re: subsidy, I have listened to your interview on BBC in support of it.
I, like many Nigerians, don't fully understand the economics of this.

My view is I agree that subsidy is not sustainable but what I know is lack of it is simply not 'survivable' for many Nigerians.
I also agree that subsidy should be on production and not consumption.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a lot of this subsidy goes to corruption.
So if we say NO to subsidy removal, it means we are fighting the battle of the corrupt. We continue to fee their pockets!
And if we say YES to subsidy removal and fuel prices double it means we have made the state of the corruption permanent and will continue to feed their pockets, only this time from our empty pockets!

You are respected by a lot, me inclusive, but,
Why isn't your stance stronger about making cuts in other areas like recurrent expenditure?
Why should Nigerians buy fuel at the same price as non-oil producing countries?

I want to make it as short as I can.
It took a lot of courage to email you directly but we don't get the information we need!
Our media is hopeless and our Minister for information even more so.

Thank you again for your time.

Sincerely,

Zainab Mahmoud.

To: Zainab Mahmoud
Sent: Fri, Jan 6, 2012 1:47 pm
Subject: Re: Greetings and questions, Thank you for reading.

Zainab hi
Good questions. Actually I have been screaming about government recurrent expenditure and overheads since 2010-as well as the corruption in subsidy regime.

It was my criticism of overheads that led to my wahala with national assembly. And I keep fighting it. However if u look at the 2012 budget the entire recurrent exp of the executive arm is N1.8tr of which N1.6tr is personnel costs. So cutting this means paycuts and retrenchment and this is politically suicidal.

Cab subsidy be phased? Possible and maybe govt will reach that compromise but better to do it once and for all. I have advised a phased approach if that will give a political solution but don't know
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone provided by Airtel Nigeria.

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 14:36:15 -0500 (EST)
To:

Thank you very much for replying! I appreciate it.

Can I please take more of your time and make a few more points?

From what you have explained and the happenings it appears that the Government are not willing to make cuts in their expensive lifestyles but want the masses to take the burden of their mismanagement!
If the Government had suggested a phased approach alongside cuts in their 'overheads' I am sure it would have had a better welcome.

May be the protests need to take a new turn and push for cuts in recurrent expenditure.

If the subsidy is removed completely and petrol is sold at N141, doesn't that mean that Nigerians will continue to fund corruption endlessly because the true price of refining Nigerian oil cant be equal to the price our neighbouring non-oil producing countries buy petrol at.

Why cant we push for better border policies and sanctions on importation of petrol rather than worsen the already dire condition of the average Nigerian?

Can I get your permission to share this explanation with my fellow youths via twitter and facebook?(I will scribble out ur email ofcourse)

Sincerely,
Zainab Mahmoud.

Sent: Fri, Jan 6, 2012 3:00 pm

Well two things; in real (ie inflation adjusted terms) expenditure is coming down. Budget this year is 6pct higher than last year but inflation is at about 11pct.

Secondly I am sure we can get government to chip away at spending but in terms of materiality it will be symbolic. With a budget of about N5tr a N10b or N20b dent in spending makes a political statement but has little impact on such things like deficit/GDP, debt/GDP, debt service/revenue ratios, or reserves, exchange rates and inflation.

Fuel subsidy removal knocks off N1.4 tr which is equivalent 30pct of expenditure in 2011 and more than 100pct of capital budget and a third of total debt. I agree that we need both the symbolic and the material but in terms of macro level analysis items talked about-feeding in the villa or gardening are insignificant relatively speaking, which is not to say they shouldn't be looked at.

On borders in theory smuggling is illegal. In practice if you have money you can bribe officials on both sides and smuggle goods. A government subsidy of N80 for every litre is enough money cross the borders. Saudi arabia is surrounded by countries like bahrain and oman and yemen and kuwait all of which sell cheap fuel so no arbitrage opportunity. Once you have a huge price differential, goods will flow to the higher price market-legally or illegally. We learn this in price theory as a subject called price fixation. Prices below equilibrium always result in rent seeking and black markets or scarcity.
You may

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:09:22 -0500 (EST)
To:

Thanks again!

The economics of it appear complicated and I will be lying if I said I understood all that.

How do you explain this to the average Nigerian who earns the minimum wage of N18000 and because of subsidy removal is now expected to spend N15000 on petrol?
Subsidy is not sustainable but lack of it isn't either!

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 20:30:02 +0000
ReplyTo:

The short term impact at the micro level is reduction in disposable income after fuel and transport costs, as well as a fall in real income due to inflation. Painful.
If the fiscal space freed up leads to improved power, infrastructure and productivity then we get growth, jobs and industrial development in the medium to long term.
Success depends on implementation of sound policies and improvement in governance and accountability. What I think is that Nigerians intuitively understand why this has to be done but don't believe government can deliver on the promise so they may end up with pain without gain. I don't blame them as the record of govt has been poor. Its up to govt to prove them wrong.
Sleep well continue tmrw have bad migraine

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 20:31:42 +0000
To:
ReplyTo: zainabmahmoud@aol.com

Thank you very much,

Allah ya kara sauki.

Via BlackBerry® from Vodafone

http://amahzeeing..com/2012/01/my-e-interview-with-mal-sanusi-lamido.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 12:37am On Jan 07, 2012
He still doesn't make sense.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DisGuy: 12:38am On Jan 07, 2012
Cab subsidy be phased? Possible and maybe govt will reach that compromise but better to do it once and for all. I have advised a phased approach if that will give a political solution but don't know

Dont know if its real or not but

What's the argument against phased withdrawal of subsidy?
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by alanbolo(m): 12:42am On Jan 07, 2012
Nice write-up from the blog-spot. 
In as much as the subsidy removal will favour Nigerians in the long run, other avenue should be exploited first and then phased removal approach.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 07, 2012
J12:

He still doesn't make sense.

correct
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by cavicent19(m): 12:46am On Jan 07, 2012
TRUST! Even SLS knows quiet alright that this present govt won't keep to their promises. The end result shall be "pain upon pain".
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by tEsLim(m): 12:46am On Jan 07, 2012
Breaking news on Silverbird is that subsidy wont be reversed. Has anyone seen Ben Bruce's proposal? What do you think? Our government is completely irresponsible!
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by firmi(m): 12:46am On Jan 07, 2012
kini eleyi ko wa n sin.kip telling me dis nd telling me dat.see d power of corruption.hmmmm
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Iolo(m): 12:49am On Jan 07, 2012
Sanusi seems a really smart guy that stands on his own in govt. He spoke the truth and while supporting the subsidy removal, it'd be bad ethics for him to advise on the continuation of subsidy at its present state.

Subsidy removal is good. But can we trust GEJ, the governors and local government chairmen to make the necessary investments in order to create jobs, and infrastructure with the proceeds?

This is the big question.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Iolo(m): 12:51am On Jan 07, 2012
and if 1, 6 trillion of 1.8 trillion of recurrent expenditure is from personnel costs, then GEJ is truly in a catch 22 situation. Cut salaries wahala, sack people wahala, remove subsidy wahala. There's basically nothing drastic he can do without making people angry.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 12:55am On Jan 07, 2012
alanbolo:

In as much as the subsidy removal will favour Nigerians in the long run. . .
Lies! Subsidy removal will not favour nigerians whether on the short or long term, it has never had and it would never will.
The subsidy is a very good regime, infact its one of the prime reasons the economy is moving. Suspending it will cause more harm than good.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Iolo(m): 12:55am On Jan 07, 2012
To show you useless our Nigerian media people are, how come no one has been able to email these politicians and ask intelligent questions such as these. Our politicians seem to treat media men like rats disturbing them, but maybe it's the impression they've created for themselves.

SLS answering a young nigerian girl via BB shows he isn't as busy (as pa CBN gov) as the public thinks and this media and radio talk show hosts instead of bringing  illitrates and flamebaiters can actually key into such avenues on a professional level.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nadanbata: 1:04am On Jan 07, 2012
loooool i think know this chick. Allah ya kara sauki kam cool cool

Success depends on implementation of sound policies and improvement in governance and accountability. What I think is that Nigerians intuitively understand why this has to be done but don't believe government can deliver on the promise so they may end up with pain without gain. I don't blame them as the record of govt has been poor.

Thats the fundamental point. Nobody believes GEJ can implement anything sucessfully espicially after N1billion for food. 110% more pain no gain. Sanusi knows this cool cool
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 1:04am On Jan 07, 2012
Bullocks!!!!

Reading that e-mail all I see is a CBN Governor too scared to say what he thinks and yet lacks the courage to resign. How can the country succeed when everybody is living is so much denial.

He is scared of saying we need to cut recurent expenditure!
He says he proposed phased removal of subsidy and nobody listens
He agrees with the Nigerian people that the Government he serves can not be trusted.

Where is the courage? Mr Central Bank Governor there is something called to "RESIGN" instead of speaking from both sides of your mouth!
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by ypzilanti: 1:06am On Jan 07, 2012
Personally, my suggestion is that government should shave about N30 off the subsidy amount and demonstrate its ability by using the saved amount to lay railway tracks from the South West of Nigeria to the South East of Nigeria. Also do same from North West of Nigeria to North East. This can be finished within two years.

Government should then lease the use of the tracks to a reputable firm for a lease period of 20 years and recoup all the money spent on the tracks. See there? It did not cost a thing!

Simultaneously, offer bank guarantees to reputable companies that want to build refineries in Nigeria (only companies that have built same in other countries) sign MOUs to the effect that subsidy will be removed within two years time. To convince them further pledge to buy all refined products at prevailing market rate where subsidy is not removed. In two years come back to the Nigerian people and present your achievement, announce other great projects and remove the remaining subsidy.

Kindly repost the idea if you agree, or tell our president if you have his ear, before he runs the country into a ditch.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DonaldsN(m): 1:17am On Jan 07, 2012
@last poster, nice idea. This is d kind of people we want to hear dem talk, cos they condemn wat dey think is bad and more importantly OFFER SOLUTIONS
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Iolo(m): 1:18am On Jan 07, 2012
ypzilanti:

Personally, my suggestion is that government should shave about N30 off the subsidy amount and demonstrate its ability by using the saved amount to lay railway tracks from the South West of Nigeria to the South East of Nigeria. Also do same from North West of Nigeria to North East. This can be finished within two years.

Government should then lease the use of the tracks to a reputable firm for a lease period of 20 years and recoup all the money spent on the tracks. See there? It did not cost a thing!

Simultaneously, offer bank guarantees to reputable companies that want to build refineries in Nigeria (only companies that have built same in other countries) sign MOUs to the effect that subsidy will be removed within two years time. To convince them further pledge to buy all refined products at prevailing market rate where subsidy is not removed. In two years come back to the Nigerian people and present your achievement, announce other great projects and remove the remaining subsidy.

Kindly repost the idea if you agree, or tell our president if you have his ear, before he runs the country into a ditch.

makes a lot of sense.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by kulutempa: 1:18am On Jan 07, 2012
Jonathan Goodluck has shown amazing political naivety in his botched handling of the subsidy crisis.   He does not seem to understand that a leader who does not have any moral authority cannot earn the respect, trust and confidence of the people.   All he needs to do to get out of the tight spot that he is in is to lead by example, and cut down on his own salary  and allowances and that of his aides and ministers, together with recurrent expenditure, while also renegotiating a phased withdrawal of the subsidy.   It is really laughable that a leader who is saying that the subsidy has to be removed completely, is only planning to reduce Nigeria's recurrent expenditure (74% of the total budget)  by 1%  every year for the next 4 years.  

Talking about leadership by example. during the second world war the sons of the British upper class fought and died in North Africa fighting the Germans.   Prince Harry fought in Afghanistan in 2008, and he is going back there this year for another tour of duty.  That is how Western leaders earn the respect of their people, by action and not mere words.  Whatever they ask their people  to do, you can be sure that they too will be prepared to do it.  That is the key difference between them and African leaders and Jonathan had better start putting it into practice  before it is too late for him.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by firmi(m): 1:21am On Jan 07, 2012
ther are some cabals.stronger than govt,the untouchables or wat. 2 much of sentiments  which is killing dis country.u no dem  yet  u can not touch them. u den make d ppl carry burden 4 ur inefficiency,yyy
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by kulutempa: 1:28am On Jan 07, 2012
ypzilanti:

Thank you for your thoughtful post.   If we had a government that wants to be trusted and taken seriously they would have done what has been highlighted in bold above and killed two birds with one stone by attracting foreign investment into the country as well as creating jobs.  It is not exactly rocket science and would have been much better that wasting precious foreign exchange by  importing petroleum products from abroad.  What do our leaders find it so difficult to do the most basic, common sense things?
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by jara: 1:31am On Jan 07, 2012
Why are we missing the point? A former oil mister Tam David West said only one or two oil company was refining crude oil, sending it back to Nigeria and selling the surplus by putting more money in Nigeria pocket, without loss.

Many cabals have taken the position as middle men each jacking up the price to make obscene profit. Simply tell them to back off and go back to one or two companies that actually have refineries. Not middle men without refineries that have to go to those with refineries. How simpler can that be?
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by 3kay945(m): 2:02am On Jan 07, 2012
How can reasonable nigerians trust p.d.p led government? They are failure from the start and wil continue to be, ,
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DisGuy: 2:02am On Jan 07, 2012
mikeansy:

Bullocks!!!!

Reading that e-mail all I see is a CBN Governor too scared to say what he thinks and yet lacks the courage to resign. How can the country succeed when everybody is living is so much denial.

He is scared of saying we need to cut recurent expenditure!
He says he proposed phased removal of subsidy and nobody listens
He agrees with the Nigerian people that the Government he serves can not be trusted.

Where is the courage? Mr Central Bank Governor there is something called to "RESIGN" instead of speaking from both sides of your mouth!

more bullocks from you, where is ur masa playing the sax?

Sanusi was the one the went to face the NASS about his comments re: recurrent expenditure!!
is he the one in charge of the budget? the final game plan is the phased removal
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 2:08am On Jan 07, 2012
This "email conversation" should get an Oscar nomination for best supporting Actor!
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Timmy321(m): 2:34am On Jan 07, 2012
He is nothing but a natural burn MAD MAN. First he didn't answer the Question no why their HUG SALARIES, HUG ALLOWANCES WHERE NOT CUT instead of suffering poor Nigerian like me. Second, If it is for the interest of the masses and not for ARMED RUBBERS LIKE THEM then we, the Masses, Nigerians says "WE DON'T WANT IT, IS IT BY FORCE TO HELP SOMEONE THAT IS NOT READY AND WILLLING TO BE HELPED?? GOD WILL PUNISH YOU ALL. JONATHAN MUST GO AND PDP NAME MUST PERISH ALONGSIDE YOU BAST.ARDS
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LRNZH(m): 2:42am On Jan 07, 2012
I have a huge amount of respect for Sanusi but from the account of this email, you may as well be corresponding with Lagarde (IMF Boss).

He couldn't break down his thoughts to convince an ordinary Nigerian on what the subsidy really entails and appears to be either out of touch with the Nigerian reality or is choosing to be non-committal at least in his statements.

Sanusi makes certain assumptions-
           Gov't will use the savings from fuel subsidy removal to do its proper job of providing infrastructure etc
           Petrol at N141 or N138 Naira per liter will not cause prolonged hardship in the lives of the common people because of the first assumption above.
We know these assumptions are more likely to be far-fetched.

We now gather that GEJ took the rash decision because he didn't want to contend with mass protests close to 2015 (election year).

See? GEJ sacrifices the welfare of the same Nigerians who gave him mandate in 2011 on the alter of PDP's political ambitions for 2015.
It throws a lot of suspicions on the real motives of the subsidy removal in the first place.

I agree that fuel subsidy removal is not evil in itself but the manner of its rushed implementation (no palliatives) to even setting up a special subsidy funds committee appears irresponsible. The same people who claim the Gov't / Gov't recurrent expenditure is overbloated (true) are the same people bringing in more people (Kolade etc) to do the normal job of the Economic team, Ministers, ministries and parastatals who are being paid anyway for having jobs.
They are not ready to tackle themselves or their huge excesses but prefer the masses to bear all the brunt of years of mis-governance.

It should be Nigeria's Gov't mandate to ensure that (within two years or so) all 4 refineries are fully functional (and roads/railways are functional too if they are imaginative enough) before fully deregulating the downstream sector. We won't have to pay as high as 138/141 N/L for petrol in this scenario.
Sanusi won't tell you this.

The refineries can be sold afterwards and buyers will abound.

The shortcomings of the present think tank for this country leave a lot to be desired.

I am of the opinion that if you ask Jonathan what he will do with the savings from the fuel subsidy removal, he is likely to draw a blank.
The cabal will use the savings to run elections in 2015.

God Bless Nigeria.
May the souls of the Christians and Southerners murdered today in the North rest in Peace.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by ajalaolanr(m): 2:45am On Jan 07, 2012
hmnnn, political suicide?, so what about the mass(es) suicide when they removed the subsidy, clear case of the masses are just cockroaches ,
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by velo10: 2:46am On Jan 07, 2012
We know removal of the fuel subsidy is good. However, Nigerians don't deserve to suffer for awhile for government to fulfill its agendas. Fuel-subsidy should be reduced not removed. The Nigerian government should use funds from the reduction as a litmus test to prove its efficiency in developing the economy. Right now nobody trusts this government and we have a right not to.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by obowunmi(m): 2:51am On Jan 07, 2012
Success depends on implementation of sound policies and improvement in governance and accountability. What I think is that Nigerians intuitively

understand why this has to be done but don't believe government can deliver on the promise so they may end up with pain without gain. I don't blame them

as the record of govt has been poor. Its up to govt to prove them wrong.

The government doesn't care about proving any body wrong. They just care about the money.
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by obowunmi(m): 2:51am On Jan 07, 2012
velo10:

We know removal of the fuel subsidy is good. However, Nigerians don't deserve to suffer for awhile for government to fulfill its agendas. Fuel-subsidy should be reduced not removed. The Nigerian government should use funds from the reduction as a litmus test to prove its efficiency in developing the economy. Right now nobody trusts this government and we have a right not to.

well stated bro!
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by kizito96(m): 3:04am On Jan 07, 2012
Academic excercise
Re: Email Conversation With Sanusi On Fuel Subsidy Removal by doctokwus: 3:53am On Jan 07, 2012
Crap,never had respect for d man& never will,part of lying cabals paid by d govt.Sanusi still bandies d N1.6t figure whc as bn shown to b cooked up,about;he stil tells us money will b saved frm subsidy for infrastructure,but d islamic fundamentalist doesn't tell us mony to b got frm where bc nothing like that was bugetted for.D same way Ngozi has bn shown to b a paper economist will he b exposed for who he is.Anybody that doesn't see d economic benefits of maintening subsidy till infrastructures are put in place needs his head& ecnomic knowledge checked.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Suggest A Presidential Candidate For Nigeria Come 2015. / Wike And Wife Host Rivers Banquet. See Photos / Buhari Said Fuel Subsidy Is A Scam Yet He Pays $1.4 Trillion On Subsidy - Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.