Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,877 members, 7,821,052 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech (31409 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Jonathan's Speech At Handover Presentation. / Jonathan's Speech At The UN General Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by manny4life(m): 2:01am On Jan 08, 2012
Logic Mind:

I am now starting to like the president.
Stop complaining: Good medicine is always bitter.

Those in favour of subsidy, have you asked yourselves where the subsidy money come from?
Other countries without subsidies are doing better than us.
I wish he should start taxing fuel and petroleum products to generate more revenue. Maybe then Nigerians will start appreciating the value of money instead of all the waste that is going on right now.

Go and, clap for yourself, you deserve it, SMH at some people's comment on here

What is good about this medicine? Nigeria is the 6th Worlds largest Oil Producer with 2.2million barrels lifted daily, YET, Nigerians are expected to purchase fuel at international market price, so where is the money going to then?

Where subsidy money is coming from? That is most awful question I've heard in minute; same place where our leaders get their $500million + salary from.

Other countries without subsidies are doing better because 1.) They have better resource control management practices, 2). They have STRONG internal control practices, followed by investigative random accountability audits 3). They SET their prorities straight, focused and oriented. I'm sure you did not look at 2012 budget, about 9% of our National Budget of the Budget represented "Statutory Transfer" aka NASS and Judiciary, while 53% comprised of Recurrent Expense. So how do you expect to grow when 9% of budget goes to GREEDY BASTARDS in NASS? How do you expect to grow when the president has a N1billion annual allowance food, controls about $150million expense to himself? As you see, they do well because they manage their resource well rather than loot it through salaries, food and stupid expense that should be cut drastically or even scrapped.

Tax fuel? Like seriously are you ok at all? Do you tax something you have in abundance or something that you have less in? Tax fuel all they care, as long as Naija has it in abundance, people will ALWAYS find a way out. I don't care about tax as long as I'm buying it cheap. That's the obligation of the govt to the people, it shouldn't be denied.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by LEXYLOV: 2:03am On Jan 08, 2012
Ghana has left Nigeria behind for long time ago. The platform Ghana it is today Nigeria queuing behind it.  Thanks to Jerry rawling visionary administration and clean up the monsters there. The day Nigeria has someone to stand up and act or rule like rawlings, it is that day God start removing the burden of sufferings bestow upon the nation called Nigeria. lipsrsealed
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by oiseworld: 2:07am On Jan 08, 2012
alj harem:

you lack depths thinking and understanding of Nigeria and a  bit daf.t I must say

1. If a government keeps throwing money to building of refineries and it is still not built can we not ask where all the money has gone and who it was paid to ? Or what sort of mumu people do we have in the country that think based on sentiments ?

2. So you agree that there is corruption in the country right ? If there is then should we keep looking and do nothing about it just because it is Nigeria ? Or Nigeria was born of corruption right from the inception ? This is the sort of daf.t reasoning that has held Nigeria back 200 years behind some countries.

3. Every Nigerian know we need strong decision Yes but if the decision what keep the system to keep running then NO.

I think this is my last reply to you

You seem like a sentimental person that thinks the "Nigerian mentality" which we have been doing for 50 years and still you what people to keep thinking that way. Well sorry bros things are about to Change in Nigeria FOR THE BETTER.

If you think the statue quote would remain the same were people would be billionires within 4-5 years then I fell sorry for you.

Madueke the petrolum minister just bought a 20 MILLION EURO HOUSe IN AUSTRIA, where did she get the money from ? and why is she asking for the removal of subsidy now when things are not in place ?

Abeg bros or sister, go and sleep you are not thinking straight here

yes i tink i realy need to sleep, the GHANIAN borders are still opened, if you don't like subsidy removal, carry ur Ghana must go and leave.
GOD BLESS THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
GOD BLESS PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by aljharem(m): 2:12am On Jan 08, 2012
oiseworld:

yes i tink i realy need to sleep, the GHANIAN borders are still opened, if you don't like subsidy removal, carry your Ghana must go and leave.
GOD BLESS THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
GOD BLESS PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN.

Ghana Borders are secure you mor.on

go ask ours to do the same
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by LogicMind: 2:21am On Jan 08, 2012
Please see my comments in red.

manny4life:

Go and, clap for yourself, you deserve it, SMH at some people's comment on here. Clap Clap

What is good about this medicine? Nigeria is the 6th Worlds largest Oil Producer with 2.2million barrels lifted daily, YET, Nigerians are expected to purchase fuel at international market price, so where is the money going to then? That is the problem. And he's starting to tacke it

Where subsidy money is coming from? That is most awful question I've heard in minute; same place where our leaders get their $500million + salary from. 2.2million barrels/day. spent on subsidy and govt salary. Starting to tacke them: subsidy removed, govt wages reduced (not enough in my opinion but a good start)

Other countries without subsidies are doing better because 1.) They have better resource control management practices, 2). They have STRONG internal control practices, followed by investigative random accountability audits 3). They SET their prorities straight, focused and oriented. I'm sure you did not look at 2012 budget, about 9% of our National Budget of the Budget represented "Statutory Transfer" aka NASS and Judiciary, while 53% comprised of Recurrent Expense. So how do you expect to grow when 9% of budget goes to GREEDY BASTARDS in NASS? How do you expect to grow when the president has a N1billion annual allowance food, controls about $150million expense to himself? As you see, they do well because they manage their resource well rather than loot it through salaries, food and silly expense that should be cut drastically or even scrapped.  Exactly

Tax fuel? Like seriously are you ok at all? (yes I am). Do you tax something you have in abundance or something that you have less in? Both. Tax fuel all they care, as long as Naija has it in abundance, people will ALWAYS find a way out. We can always face reality or continue lying to ourselves. I don't care about tax as long as I'm buying it cheap. Like everybody else. That's the obligation of the govt to the people, it shouldn't be denied. Government has absolutely no obligation to provide you with cheap fuel.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by zebudaya(m): 2:45am On Jan 08, 2012
You propaganda bearing fools should stop comparing Nigeria to Ghana. We are not in the same league. We produce over 2 million barrels a day. We've been  a major oil player since the 50's, and you want us to pay more for petrol than the Americans do. 140 a liter *4= 1 gallon. America  pays about 3.39/gallon +or- some cents. Nigerians now pay about $3.70 and you think it's fair?. In a country where minimum wage is 18,000 a month. Folks in the Niger Delta who never saw any benefits from oil would now have to pay more for everything. Isn't that ironic? Compare us to Venezuela, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Turkmenistan and Kuwait. Where petrol is cheaper than water.

I wish I could come out of your computer screens and slap the hell out of you muthafuc33rs.

You guys would sell your mothers just to make a couple Naira. Shame on you. Shame on all of you. The rest of us are more concerned about people who think about Christmas in August. We think about the bus driver and conductor who barely make ends meet. The conductor, the market woman. The mai-guard. The houseboy.

The Government has blown all our money. Now they want to place Austerity measures on us. Obasanjo paid our debts. Oil Prices have been high for the past 5 years we shouldn't be near broke.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by LogicMind: 2:53am On Jan 08, 2012
zebudaya:

You propaganda bearing fools should stop comparing Nigeria to Ghana. We are not in the same league. We produce over 2 million barrels a day. We've been  a major oil player since the 50's, and you want us to pay more for petrol than the Americans do. 140 a liter *4= 1 gallon. America  pays about 3.39/gallon +or- some cents. Nigerians now pay about $3.70 and you think it's fair?. In a country where minimum wage is 18,000 a month. Folks in the Niger Delta who never saw any benefits from oil would now have to pay more for everything. Isn't that ironic? Compare us to Venezuela, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Turkmenistan and Kuwait. Where petrol is cheaper than water.

I wish I could come out of your computer screens and slap the hell out of you muthafuc33rs.

You guys would sell your mothers just to make a couple Naira. Shame on you. Shame on all of you. The rest of us are more concerned about people who think about Christmas in August. We think about the bus driver and conductor who barely make ends meet. The conductor, the market woman. The mai-guard. The houseboy.

The Government has blown all our money. Now they want to place Austerity measures on us. Obasanjo paid our debts. Oil Prices have been high for the past 5 years we shouldn't be near broke.

First, GEJ is from niger delta
2nd, the problem is that the Niger Delta never saw any benefits from oil
3rd, maybe it's time the nation starts thinking of moving away from jobs like The conductor, the market woman. The mai-guard. The houseboy. and start developing.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by abbey621(m): 3:44am On Jan 08, 2012
You propaganda bearing fools should stop comparing Nigeria to Ghana. We are not in the same league. We produce over 2 million barrels a day. We've been a major oil player since the 50's, and you want us to pay more for petrol than the Americans do. 140 a liter *4= 1 gallon. America pays about 3.39/gallon +or- some cents. Nigerians now pay about $3.70 and you think it's fair?. In a country where minimum wage is 18,000 a month. Folks in the Niger Delta who never saw any benefits from oil would now have to pay more for everything. Isn't that ironic? Compare us to Venezuela, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Turkmenistan and Kuwait. Where petrol is cheaper than water.

Aren't you the biggest ignoramus in the world, you produce such a huge amount of oil but you can't refine any of it and you call yourself a major oil player, get real, you people must be high on horse weed, without any working refineries, our oil is basically useless, we are still slaves to the countries that have working refineries, Ghana is in a way better position than Nigeria because they have a lesser population and they have working refineries!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by zebudaya(m): 4:04am On Jan 08, 2012
abbey621:

Aren't you the biggest ignoramus in the world, you produce such a huge amount of oil but you can't refine any of it and you call yourself a major oil player, get real, you people must be high on horse weed, without any working refineries, our oil is basically useless, we are still slaves to the countries that have working refineries, Ghana is in a way better position than Nigeria because they have a lesser population and they have working refineries!

Corruption is the only reason we do not have working refineries. We are slaves to countries that have refineries because our leaders wanted it to be so. Stop comparing us to Ghana. Case in point, poor Venezuela has working refineries. Google it. I have read your other posts, and I think you believe removal of fuel subsidy and deregulation are the same thing. Educate yourself. They are not. The government just packaged good (deregulation) with bad(removal of fuel subsidy). Educate yourself Georgia boy.

Logic Mind:

First, GEJ is from niger delta
2nd, the problem is that the Niger Delta never saw any benefits from oil
3rd, maybe it's time the nation starts thinking of moving away from jobs like The conductor, the market woman. The mai-guard. The houseboy. and start developing.

What does GEJ being from the Niger Delta have to do with anything. 2nd America has bus conductors, market women, security guards, and butlers and maids. What exactly is your point?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Nobody: 5:17am On Jan 08, 2012
SUMMARY OF FUEL SUBSIDY

Like prisoners, they take us to the firing range of fuel subsidy. The few that survive will be moved to better jails,

copied from twitter,
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by abbey621(m): 6:31am On Jan 08, 2012
Corruption is the only reason we do not have working refineries. We are slaves to countries that have refineries because our leaders wanted it to be so. Stop comparing us to Ghana. Case in point, poor Venezuela has working refineries. Google it. I have read your other posts, and I think you believe removal of fuel subsidy and deregulation are the same thing. Educate yourself. They are not. The government just packaged good (deregulation) with bad(removal of fuel subsidy). Educate yourself Georgia boy.

Keep trying to justify your own twisted fantasy! Deregulation is deregulation, there's no bad or good, removal of fuel subsidy and the privatization of the oil sector will create more competition and a better marketplace for Nigerians. To simplify things, I'll give you an example of the evil of subsidy. Oando , Shell & other oil companies buy refined oil from Iran or Saudi Arabia at the rate of 100 naira, they told government they bought it at 200 naira, government under the subsidy arrangement must allow them to sell it to Nigerians at the rate of 65 naira, meaning government pays for the remaining 135 naira, meaning the oil companies make a profit of 100 % and the Nigerian economy is defrauded and degraded at the same time. We all wonder why there's no stable power supply, no jobs and poor security, the answer is simple, government is being blackmailed by the big shots oil companies and the politicians that owns them. Yes corruption is a big issue, yes the government salaries should be slashed and yes the refineries should be working, but we can't achieve anything without first deregulating things, today it's the oil sector, tomorrow it's the power sector, little by little Nigeria will be free.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by stevoche(m): 6:45am On Jan 08, 2012
Goes a long way to say MR PRESIDENT'S stupidity is yet undefined. See how he spoke like he has ever bought fuel himself in the last 10years*sheer stupidity* cry and he talked about the people who traveled and return leg Is dis guy daft,has he ever traveled on lagos - benin expressway? Goodluck should be assassinated! Spoke like a typical clone of his wife. I now see where she got all that stupidity from too. Shame that she has an office too. Has anyone ever heard of this;" OFFICE OF THE FRIEND OF THE PRESIDENT". It exists there in the villa and occupied by some old goons. This move will just enrich a few again and mark this word of mine, i see famine approaching this nation if nothing is done cos everything called social amenity will be well out of reach to even the average man.
And Stupid government is coming again with CASHLESS SOCIETY like pple even have the cash to spend? And lekki tollgate has been won by Fashola, U see wat happened, the always use a distraction to end the case. Watch wat will happen here,even if the protest will hold, the Govt will create a distraction and we wont remember wat fight we came for.
The Govt in Nigeria is a mess but soon a revolution like what we had in Ghana by Jerry Rawlings will hit them.

Long Live NL, Short Live our Sufferings my fellow Nigerian Workers.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by fnk: 6:46am On Jan 08, 2012
The money that the President will use to build the railroad and all that he is  promising, were is it coming from? Have they started saving the oil subsidy money already? If the Gov't have money to do this things that he mentioned, why didn't they do it before removing the subsidy.
This people are just blowing hot air. The issue I see here is that the different between the N141 and N65 is what a typical Nigerian gets from the Gov't, and he gets it because it is embedded in the subsidy. Now Goodluck want to take that money (N76) and share it to the state, local and federal gov't and expect them to somehow get it to the people. This is a dream. This is if you say that the true amount that nigerians should have been paying is N141.  In Lagos, they will steal the money, use it to fix the road and toll it. Either way the masses is screwed.

The gov't should put in place the things they are talking about before removing the subsidy.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Nobody: 8:11am On Jan 08, 2012
stevoche:

Goes a long way to say MR PRESIDENT'S stupidity is yet undefined. See how he spoke like he has ever bought fuel himself in the last 10years*sheer stupidity* cry and he talked about the people who traveled and return leg Is dis guy daft,has he ever traveled on lagos - benin expressway? Goodluck should be assassinated! Spoke like a typical clone of his wife. I now see where she got all that stupidity from too. Shame that she has an office too. Has anyone ever heard of this;" OFFICE OF THE FRIEND OF THE PRESIDENT". It exists there in the villa and occupied by some old goons. This move will just enrich a few again and mark this word of mine, i see famine approaching this nation if nothing is done cos everything called social amenity will be well out of reach to even the average man.
And silly government is coming again with CASHLESS SOCIETY like pple even have the cash to spend? And lekki tollgate has been won by Fashola, U see wat happened, the always use a distraction to end the case. Watch wat will happen here,even if the protest will hold, the Govt will create a distraction and we wont remember wat fight we came for.
The Govt in Nigeria is a mess but soon a revolution like what we had in Ghana by Jerry Rawlings will hit them.

Long Live NL, Short Live our Sufferings my fellow Nigerian Workers.

This guy dey vex sha.Anyways friends of government = CABAL
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by davades(m): 8:25am On Jan 08, 2012
Same old story,he's not serious at all,which burden is he feeling?abi he doesn't knw the meaning of burden?someone that his food allowance is 1billion feeling any burden,no going bck let's occupy Naija sharp sharp can't wait
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Chnges(m): 9:16am On Jan 08, 2012
Thank you Bros G. I understand that every good government has a larger number of protesters. I strongly believe that bros G knows what he is doing and i whole-kindheartedly stand by your side. Before the end of your tenor, we Nigerians will give positive testimonies of your hard work.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by zebudaya(m): 10:00am On Jan 08, 2012
abbey621:

Keep trying to justify your own twisted fantasy! Deregulation is deregulation, there's no bad or good, removal of fuel subsidy and the privatization of the oil sector will create more competition and a better marketplace for Nigerians. To simplify things, I'll give you an example of the evil of subsidy. Oando , Shell & other oil companies buy refined oil from Iran or Saudi Arabia at the rate of 100 naira, they told government they bought it at 200 naira, government under the subsidy arrangement must allow them to sell it to Nigerians at the rate of 65 naira, meaning government pays for the remaining 135 naira, meaning the oil companies make a profit of 100 % and the Nigerian economy is defrauded and degraded at the same time. We all wonder why there's no stable power supply, no jobs and poor security, the answer is simple, government is being blackmailed by the big shots oil companies and the politicians that owns them. Yes corruption is a big issue, yes the government salaries should be slashed and yes the refineries should be working, but we can't achieve anything without first deregulating things, today it's the oil sector, tomorrow it's the power sector, little by little Nigeria will be free.

Abbey you are trying to find a solution to a symptom not the problem.   You said "Oando , Shell & other oil companies buy refined oil from Iran or Saudi Arabia at the rate of 100 naira, they told government they bought it at 200 naira, government under the subsidy arrangement must allow them to sell it to Nigerians at the rate of 65 naira, meaning government pays for the remaining 135 naira" Who made the arrangement? Isn't it the same government? Who is the cabal? isn't it their buddies? Better yet, why can't the NNPC (PPMC) handle such arrangements and do it all in house? Why do we need Oando and Shell to handle it?

Corruption is the problem.  if they are engaging in unlawful practices as you allege why can't the same government send the EFCC after them? and at least the government can pay them 100 naira instead of 200 naira. That's the problem. Deregulation and removal of subsidy are two different things You say "removal of fuel subsidy and the privatization of the oil sector will create more competition and a better marketplace for Nigerians". Who is going to invest? Nigeria is a mature industry. Who is going to invest all that money (billions of $$$) only for the next administration to {possibly} put fuel subsidy back in place in 2015. We are talking about 2012. Oil companies don't call themselves "oil companies" anymore they call themselves "Energy companies" Governments build refineries. That our government didn't build and maintain ours is a travesty that shouldn't be taken out on the common man. Bp ads say "Beyond petroleum". Chevron says it's powered by Human energy

This same government that squandered our sovereign wealth fund is the same one that tells us to trust them. That they are going to invest the savings from fuel subsidy removal in infrastructure. Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

America subsidizes agriculture heavily? They subsidize medical care too. how come it works out for them. We have been begging them to make trade fair, They are not interested in doing so. How come nobody is being blackmailed and Americans are not starving?  http://www.maketradefair.com/en/index.htm

Read this. Venezuela took over refineries in 2007 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6610333.stm Tell me why we can't manage ours. Petrol is cheaper than water over there.  Find the solution by dealing with the problem. All that extra stuff you are yarning are symptoms You stated:"We all wonder why there's no stable power supply, no jobs and poor security, the answer is simple, government is being blackmailed by the big shots oil companies and the politicians that owns them". Symptoms bro not the problem. Till we solve corruption and bring it down. We would be chasing shadows till kingdom come.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by bodejohn(m): 10:18am On Jan 08, 2012
Govt: Nigerians you must pay more for fuel.
Nigerians: Why?
Govt: Subsidy is ending up in the pockets of some few people.
Nigerians: Do you know these cabal?
Govt: Yes, we already released their names
Nigerians: That's good, then arrest and prosecute them.
Govt: That will be difficult, they are too powerful and they will bribe everybody in govt and the judges to escape the law.
Nigerians: Are you saying you can be compromised?
Govt: Em, no but just pay more for fuel, it is sacrifice for the nation.
Nigerians: What will you sacrifice for the nation?
Govt: We will cut our basic salaries by 25% and reduce travel
Nigerians: Is that all you will do?
Govt: We will do more but right now, I have a party to attend in south africa.
Nigerians: Didn't you just say you will cut travels? Will you still eat with 1Billion this year?
Govt: I feel your pains, try and trust govt, we will buy 1600 buses for you, 2 should be enough for each of the 774 local govt.
Nigerians: Will Sambo still buy newspapers worth 45Million this year? Will you still renovate your guest houses with those millions?
Govt: Who told you all that?
Nigerians: It's in the budget that you presented to the national assembly
Govt: I'm not aware that such is in the budget.
Nigerians: Just as you are not aware that the minimum wage has not been implemented?
Govt: Eh! Ringim, get these nigerians from here, buy an injunction from any court stopping them from getting here again, as usual get our people to start singing we will not commit sucide but we will kill ourselves if subsidy is brought back, make sure you no share money in front of cameras this time. When is the strike starting? Monday, ok I should be back by then if not Sambo continue to address them, party rice will waste if I do not get to SA on time, check the rooster, whose turn is it to join me in the jet?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by humblebee: 11:33am On Jan 08, 2012
i wonder how its convenient for the government house to eat food worth of 1billion naira in a year and yet a refinery is too big to be built,
a 20,000 bpd capacity refinery will cost $20m that is same amount of food jonathan will eat in 3years excluding his fleet of cars, excluding travels, state house renovation, office equipments and PA to PA's salaries and yet a refinery will benefit 160million people compared to less than a hundred people benefiting from it. these people are just wicked and not ready to sacrifice anything.
silly greedy leaders
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by humblebee: 11:45am On Jan 08, 2012
a new word added to the dictionary

Adjective Beaf (beafer, beafest)
1. Lacking or marked by lack of intellectual acuity
2. In a state of mental numbness especially as resulting from bribe
3. Lacking intelligence
4. Devoid of good sense or judgment

Noun: Beaf
1. A person who is not very bright
2. A person who is daft

Synonyms:
daft
dolt
dullard
dumb
foolish
stupe
dazed
pudding head

consult 2012 oxford dictionary for more details
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by ojeffo: 12:18pm On Jan 08, 2012
3 men; one American; one German and one Nigerian were discussing. The American said "my country is blessed and gifted with technological advancement. Imagine; a child was born with no legs; we attached mechanical legs to the child and guess what?! The child is now an Olympic Sprinter!!" The German said "we in my country are similarly blessed; if not even better, A girl was born in Hamburg wit no arms; we attached mechanical arms and now she is the country's heavyweight boxing champion; in the male category too!!" The Nigerian cleared his throat and said "All those ones are small small tins!! In a small village in Bayelsa state, Nigeria; a baby was born with no head, We attached coconut, And guess what?!! Now he's the PRESIDENT!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by eyesofgold(m): 12:39pm On Jan 08, 2012
most of you just come here and talk what you like, without been rational. with some even clamouring for a military coup. i will write this boldly so that you can see it properly.

we are allowing callous politicians to incite us because of personal gains. we are allowing our emotions to lead us instead of our brains. but this is what i have to say.

GOODLUCK JONATHAN IS THE LAST CHANCE NIGERIA HAS TO BE TRANSFORMED AND BECOME THE NIGERIA OF OUR DREAMS. IF THIS GOVERNMENT FAILS, NIGERIA WILL FAIL. IF THIS GOVERNMENT FAILS TO SUCCEED, NIGERIA WILL FAIL TO EXIST.

THOSE PRAYING FOR A MILITARY COUP, I HOPE YOUR WISHES ARE GRANTED, WHEN THE WAR STARTS IT WILL AFFECT YOU AS WELL, IF NOT, YOUR FAMILIES WILL BE AFFECTED.

NIGERIANS BE WISE,
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by najoke: 2:03pm On Jan 08, 2012
@Beaf and friends

Posted by: zebudaya

"Read this. Venezuela took over refineries in 2007 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6610333.stm Tell me why we can't manage ours. Petrol is cheaper than water over there. Find the solution by dealing with the problem. All that extra stuff you are yarning are symptoms You stated:"We all wonder why there's no stable power supply, no jobs and poor security, the answer is simple, government is being blackmailed by the big shots oil companies and the politicians that owns them". Symptoms bro not the problem. Till we solve corruption and bring it down. We would be chasing shadows till kingdom come"

Please respond to the above.

Thank u
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by gabbytabby: 2:23pm On Jan 08, 2012
Its not the GOVT that is failing to police the ports and the borders. It is the citizenry that is so corrupt, self-centred, not patriotic and lacking in integrity that they are not able to do their jobs with honesty but have become joint robbers with the politicians.

Until men of integrity, who are patriotic, after the common good start to enter the civil service, police, army, customs and other military personel and the citizens refuse to pay bribe to any AO, until we as a nation can stand up and be counted, until we have decided that theives amongs us will be named and shamed, then we can all start to expect a change all round.

So when was the last time you paid that bribe, or took a bribe, stole from your client or boss then please before you start throwing stones look in the mirror at another enemy of Nigeria's progress.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by IKdImpeccable(m): 2:43pm On Jan 08, 2012
i am very surprised that some people as young as GEJ's son will come online and abuse him to the letter. the likes of Alj harem and co. plz if u cannot respect him as ur president, respect him because he is an elderly man. it is said that uneasy lies the head that wear the crown. this does not mean that i support his deregulation policy, but i still remember there is what is called constructive criticism. the truth be told, we cannot guarrantee the leadership of any nigerian. GEJ alone cannot solve naija problem. when some people have totally closed thier eyez to the good side of the govt i doubt their sincerity, if ur intention is to deceive nigerians in any way to further some else's agenda, just know that someday u will also be in a leadership position and nature will pay u back good measure pressed down shaken together and running over.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by aljharem(m): 2:46pm On Jan 08, 2012
I.K d Impeccable:

i am very surprised that some people as young as GEJ's son will come online and abuse him to the letter. the likes of Alj harem and co. plz if u cannot respect him as your president, respect him because he is an elderly man. it is said that uneasy lies the head that wear the crown. this does not mean that i support his deregulation policy, but i still remember there is what is called constructive criticism. the truth be told, we cannot guarrantee the leadership of any nigerian. GEJ alone cannot solve naija problem. when some people have totally closed thier eyez to the good side of the govt i doubt their sincerity, if your intention is to deceive nigerians in any way to further some else's agenda, just know that someday u will also be in a leadership position and nature will pay u back good measure pressed down shaken together and running over.

I am sorry but it seems you can't read. Please point in any of my post since 2010 where I have insulted GEJ ?

Just any. thanks
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by UyiIredia(m): 3:01pm On Jan 08, 2012
I.K d Impeccable:

i am very surprised that some people as young as GEJ's son will come online and abuse him to the letter. the likes of Alj harem and co. plz if u cannot respect him as your president, respect him because he is an elderly man. it is said that uneasy lies the head that wear the crown. this does not mean that i support his deregulation policy, but i still remember there is what is called constructive criticism. the truth be told, we cannot guarrantee the leadership of any nigerian. GEJ alone cannot solve naija problem. when some people have totally closed thier eyez to the good side of the govt i doubt their sincerity, if your intention is to deceive nigerians in any way to further some else's agenda, just know that someday u will also be in a leadership position and nature will pay u back good measure pressed down shaken together and running over.

He deserves it. Respect is reciprocal and there are actions which will garner insults regardless of the social status of a person. GEJ happens to have committed one.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by reagand200(m): 3:53pm On Jan 08, 2012
@ IKd, you were wrong on Alj Harem. Period.

However remember that uneasy lies the head that wears the crown and modern technology has made communication available for everybody.
Please dont get me wrong.
Alj has all the while on this thread been trying to caution those that are pouring vituperation on our dear Once-loved President.
Forum members should kindly caution themselves and reduce this act until maybe after tomorrow's protest.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by zebudaya(m): 4:20pm On Jan 08, 2012
http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/debates/2012-01-08-republican-debate

I just found this now. January 8 2012. 10.09 AM

Republican candidate for President John Huntsman

[b]Responding to a question about cuts in a program that helps low-income families pay for heating oil, Mr. Huntsman said many people were in need and the program should be supported until the nation moves to more diversified sources of energy and reduced imports of oil.

He went on to say that federal government policy "always favors one product -- and that's oil." The "one-product monopoly," he said, should be broken up. Mr. Huntsman did not have an opportunity to fully explain what he meant, but it appeared that he was referring to government tax policies that have supported the oil industry for nearly 100 years through various subsidies and incentives, which today reach about $3.5 billion a year. President Obama has called for ending these tax breaks, but he has been opposed by the oil industry and by most Republicans in Congress.

Mr. Huntsman made no reference to federal tax breaks and other subsidies for other forms of energy, including coal, nuclear, solar, wind and ethanol, all of which have received billions of dollars in tax incentives over the past several decades. So while the oil industry has enjoyed favored treatment for years, so have most other forms of energy.[/b]
America has a 3.5 Billion dollars a year subsidy and yet the IMF tells us it's a good idea to take our subsidy away.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by abbey621(m): 5:27pm On Jan 08, 2012
http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/debates/2012-01-08-republican-debate

I just found this now. January 8 2012. 10.09 AM

Republican candidate for President John Huntsman

Responding to a question about cuts in a program that helps low-income families pay for heating oil, Mr. Huntsman said many people were in need and the program should be supported until the nation moves to more diversified sources of energy and reduced imports of oil.

He went on to say that federal government policy "always favors one product -- and that's oil." The "one-product monopoly," he said, should be broken up. Mr. Huntsman did not have an opportunity to fully explain what he meant, but it appeared that he was referring to government tax policies that have supported the oil industry for nearly 100 years through various subsidies and incentives, which today reach about $3.5 billion a year. President Obama has called for ending these tax breaks, but he has been opposed by the oil industry and by most Republicans in Congress.

Mr. Huntsman made no reference to federal tax breaks and other subsidies for other forms of energy, including coal, nuclear, solar, wind and ethanol, all of which have received billions of dollars in tax incentives over the past several decades. So while the oil industry has enjoyed favored treatment for years, so have most other forms of energy.
America has a 3.5 Billion dollars a year subsidy and yet the IMF tells us it's a good idea to take our subsidy away.

Here you go again mixing apples and oranges. What's the GDP of the United States and that of Nigeria? The United States economy is not based solely on oil, Nigeria's economy is based 90% on oil. The United States have deregulated every sector possible in their economy, Nigeria frowns against deregulation, rather preferring government to run everything, The best administration ever in U.S history was the Reagan Admkinistration in which he carried out major deregulation policies and gave the power back to the private investors, at first it was harsh on the people and inflation went up but gradually the country embraced it and now they are way better off, try to do your research when comparing the U.S to Nigeria, you obviously lack in the area of U.S history!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by zebudaya(m): 11:56pm On Jan 08, 2012
^^^Dude answer my questions from my previous posts.  Stop dodging them. I love how you stated
abbey621:

The United States have deregulated every sector possible in their economy, Nigeria frowns against deregulation, rather preferring government to run everything, The best administration ever in U.S history was the Reagan Admkinistration in which he carried out major deregulation policies and gave the power back to the private investors, at first it was harsh on the people and inflation went up but gradually the country embraced it and now they are way better off, try to do your research when comparing the U.S to Nigeria, you obviously lack in the area of U.S history!

which goes back to all I have been saying all along. Deregulation and removal of fuel subsidy are not the same thing. They are not the same thing. You claim removal of fuel subsidy is the magic bullet. It is not. Get that into your head. Deregulation (good). Removal of subsidy=Higher tax on the people (bad). Since you love Ronald Reagan so much you should know that. You can't raise taxes on the people when the economy is weak. The US oil industry is deregulated and yet the government spends 3.5 billion on oil subsidy.  They spend billions on other subsidies for other forms of energy, including coal, nuclear, solar, wind and ethanol, all of which have received billions of dollars in tax incentives. Explain it to me Oh Learned one who has done all the research.

I bet you have some answers for that, I'm waiting,  cool
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by baxterer: 1:20am On Jan 09, 2012
Dont mind him.why can't he review the 2012 budget and address his 3 million naira daily feeding allowance among others ? drunken fisherman.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Reps In Free-for-all As Gbajabiamila Suspends Plenary / Buhari Welcomes Commonwealth Election Monitoring Team In His Abuja Office.photos / Aminu Tambuwal Meets With Bola Tinubu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.