Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan (15474 Views)

NLC And Trade Unions To Embark On strike On Tuesday. / How NLC And TUC Betrayed #occupynigeria: An Insider Account / Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by naija2012: 10:49pm On Jan 07, 2012
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) listened to President Goodluck Jonathan’s broadcast to the nation  tonight.

The speech is undoubtedly due to the resistance of Nigerians to the unreasonable increase in PMS (petrol) prices and the planned national strikes  scheduled to begin on Monday January 9, 2012.  So the Presiden having to  address Nigerians, is the first gain of the planned protests.

But the President’s address follows the pattern of other documents( like the SURE Programme) by his administration; long in rhetorics and short on basic issues.  For instance, the major anchor of the broadcast is that salaries of political office holders are to be cut by 25 per cent.  But he failed to tell us how much this will amount to. Is this a mere symbolic gesture or a fundamental contribution to economic recovery?

He also talked about his administration holding meetings with transporters to reduce fares.  We see this as a populist statement that has no foundation in reality.  If a transporter who used to buy petrol at N65 per litre now buys it between N141 and N220, what appeal can be made to him not to increase his fares by a high percentage?  How do you “deregulate” the economy and hope to regulate transport fares by private operators?

In any case, transport fare is just one of the items that shot up. Prices of basic commodities like food have also increased, and there is a fuel price hike-engineered hyper inflation in the country.
The President should have reversed the price of PMS to N65 which would have automatically reduced rising tension in the country.

The President also promised the completion   of rail lines and infusion of buses in to the transport system.  It is like putting the chart before the horse; these measures should have been put in place before the astronomical increase in petrol price.

We reiterate that Nigerians cannot afford the high fuel prices and will not accept the hyper inflation this misguided policy has created.

President Jonathan lost a great opportunity in his broadcast by sticking to his guns; that the unreasonable increase in fuel prices will remain.

The Labour Movement and its allies on behalf of the Nigerian populace  reiterate that the broadcast has changed nothing and that the indefinite strikes, rallies and mass protests scheduled to commence nationwide on Monday 9th January, 2012 will go on.
The will of the Nigerian people must prevail over that of any government in power.

Owei Lakemfa                                                     John Kolawole
NLC Acting General Secretary                 TUC Secretary  General
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by Nadanbata: 10:52pm On Jan 07, 2012
oga GEJ. Be very careful ooo. cool cool cool
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by Pukkah: 11:00pm On Jan 07, 2012
Who are this man's advisers for God's sake? Does he want to capsize the ship of this country? Is this the best way to handle this sensitive, intricate, and precarious issue?

We are watching.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 11:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
GEJ thinks he can put out a forest fire by peeing on it.

But he's only going to end up with a burnt member.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by ASOROCKb(m): 11:11pm On Jan 07, 2012
What Ruler?
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by naija2012: 11:13pm On Jan 07, 2012
Pukkah:

Who are this man's advisers for God's sake? Does he want to capsize the ship of this country? Is this the best way to handle this sensitive, intricate, and precarious issue?

We are watching.
really I do not know,

See this breakdown for GEJ and VP 2012 Expenses:

Feeding the Presidency :                           NGN 992,570,000.00
Kitchen and Household equipment:           NGN 45,000,000.00
Refreshment:                                             NGN 293,000,000.00
State House clinic:                                     NGN 1,200,000,000.00
Foreign trips:                                             NGN 11,250,000,000.00
New presidential fleets:                            NGN 1,900,000,000.00
Maintenance of Guest House:                   NGN 1,500,000,000.00
Bullet proof cars:                                       NGN 280,000,000.00
Extension of presidential villa                    NGN 75,000,000.00
Renovation of state house                        NGN 530,000,000.00
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by Beaf: 11:15pm On Jan 07, 2012
^
That is a silly list.

@topic
It is excellent that salaries will be cut by 25%. However, we need to demand more cuts, especially of the NASS salaries. There is no reason why senators who do absolute fuckall should take home more than Obama. It is an insult to all Nigerian's, in fact, it is spitting on us.

I am very impressed with all the other measures the President has taken and think that we should let peace reign, while he gets down to work. The removal of the subsidy is a necessary first move to uproot corruption in society, right now GEJ is a lamb among wolves and needs the backing of the street; give it to him, cos I believe he has us in mind.
If any of us insists on demonstrating (and why not?), then let it be about issues that will build the country up. Let it be about:

[list]
[li]Corruption[/li]
[li]Forcing the NASS to speedily pass the PIB when it is retabled this year[/li]
[li]Use the demo as a way to work with GEJ to move us forward[/li]
[li]Making our state governors and LG chairmen accountable[/li]
[li]Getting ou states to develop and generate revenue, it is a disgrace that after 51 years, they still rely on Abuja, like we are all disabled[/li]
[li]True federalism[/li]
[/list]
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 11:19pm On Jan 07, 2012
^^^ PDP sockpuppet.

Ignore.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by digidamage: 11:21pm On Jan 07, 2012
Moderator, Post to front page oooo, This is important
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by Beaf: 11:21pm On Jan 07, 2012
Evil Brain:

^^^ PDP sockpuppet.

Ignore.

So, it is about politics? It is about the lost elections?

Dude, keep revealing yourself.
I have noticed you making this comment quite a few times. Shame on you.

Why don't you add the usual praise for boko haram?
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 11:24pm On Jan 07, 2012
^^^ PDP sockpuppet.

Ignore.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by aljharem(m): 11:27pm On Jan 07, 2012
Beaf:

So, it is about politics? It is about the lost elections?

Dude, keep revealing yourself.
I have noticed you making this comment quite a few times. Shame on you.

Why don't you add the usual praise for boko haram?

Please explain this figure

shouldn't there be cuts on these irrelevant things as well ?

Feeding the Presidency : NGN 992,570,000.00
Kitchen and Household equipment: NGN 45,000,000.00
Refreshment: NGN 293,000,000.00
State House clinic: NGN 1,200,000,000.00
Foreign trips: NGN 11,250,000,000.00
New presidential fleets: NGN 1,900,000,000.00
Maintenance of Guest House: NGN 1,500,000,000.00
Bullet proof cars: NGN 280,000,000.00
Extension of presidential villa NGN 75,000,000.00
Renovation of state house NGN 530,000,000.00
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 11:29pm On Jan 07, 2012
alj harem:

Please explain this figure

shouldn't there be cuts on these irrelevant things as well ?

Feeding the Presidency : NGN 992,570,000.00
Kitchen and Household equipment: NGN 45,000,000.00
Refreshment: NGN 293,000,000.00
State House clinic: NGN 1,200,000,000.00
Foreign trips: NGN 11,250,000,000.00
New presidential fleets: NGN 1,900,000,000.00
Maintenance of Guest House: NGN 1,500,000,000.00
Bullet proof cars: NGN 280,000,000.00
Extension of presidential villa NGN 75,000,000.00
Renovation of state house NGN 530,000,000.00

No, No! Why are you quoting it? Why are you replying it?

Ignore it and it will go away.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by apasico(m): 11:30pm On Jan 07, 2012
A wasted broadcast. Mr. Presido u
said nothing. In ur time u went 2
school with no shoe and no bag,
when fuel was less than 65naira
per litre. And now u have
increased 2 140, wat will people
with no shoe do now. Their legs
will cut off. May God see u.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by Enice(m): 11:36pm On Jan 07, 2012
Make God punish all these useless NLC/TUC officials for opening their stu.pid mouth to talk to our dear president like that. Bunch of monkeys.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 11:39pm On Jan 07, 2012
^^^ I wasn't sure at first so I had to read its posting history but it's definitely a PDP suckpuppet.

Ignore.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by Gbawe: 11:40pm On Jan 07, 2012
Evil Brain:

^^^ PDP sockpuppet.

Ignore.

I love it. Make it PDP d.i.c.k sucker and I will back you in using it as the automatic response to this shameless paid hack who is , no doubt, an enemy of Nigeria's progress till I am banned.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by PasD(m): 11:41pm On Jan 07, 2012
Wow gej actually cut salaries by 25%. Hmmmm he really feels our pains. TO FURTHER FEEL OUR PAIN LET HIM REVERT THE PUMP PRICE TO 65NAIRA OR SOMETHIN LOWER, Listening,
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by Enice(m): 11:43pm On Jan 07, 2012
look, anybody do anyhow here go see anyhow. On monday, i am going out with my goons . Who 4ck up, i go 4ck am up. My president, keep up the good works. We are 100% behind you.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by ezego3(m): 11:44pm On Jan 07, 2012
@Beaf: I pray you are actually the person who I hope you are (one of the spies of the government sent to penetrate user forums to learn what the peole are daying and trying to defend their policies) if not then shame on you.

Anyways if you are ill tell you something to tell your handlers;

Judging by the way this illiterate in power is going, things are going to reach a crescendo very soon(not saying it is a bad thing for the people to revolt) but the unnecessary waste of lives and all which could easily have been avoided will be very very sad.

I know for a fact that  Nigerians are very very patient,resourceful and peaceful people who have learnt to cohabit together peacefully after all this while however these same Nigerians can also be the worst of the worst when they are pushed to the limit.

That limit is being is gradually being reached(i will say we are currently on 99.9%) and woe betide the nigga that will be in our way when we reach 100%.

The only thing Nigerians benefited from the crude oil (which has destroyed our development as a country educationally, culturally, financially,intellectually) was the subsidy on petrol and low taxes and we left everything else to be stolen by greedy bastards in power.

Now the same greedy bastards are not satisfied with what we have left them and have decided to eat more and have shifted to the only thing that has held Nigerians together.

Mark my words this is the beginning of the end or as they say the final day for the owner and the end for the thief.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by mrjingles(m): 11:45pm On Jan 07, 2012
Beaf:

^
That is a silly list.

@topic
It is excellent that salaries will be cut by 25%. However, we need to demand more cuts, especially of the NASS salaries. There is no reason why senators who do absolute fuckall should take home more than Obama. It is an insult to all Nigerian's, in fact, it is spitting on us.

I am very impressed with all the other measures the President has taken and think that we should let peace reign, while he gets down to work. The removal of the subsidy is a necessary first move to uproot corruption in society, right now GEJ is a lamb among wolves and needs the backing of the street; give it to him, cos I believe he has us in mind.
If any of us insists on demonstrating (and why not?), then let it be about issues that will build the country up. Let it be about:

[list]
[li]Corruption[/li]
[li]Forcing the NASS to speedily pass the PIB when it is retabled this year[/li]
[li]Getting ou states to develop and generate revenue, it is a disgrace that after 51 years, they still rely on Abuja, like we are all disabled[/li]
[li]True federalism[/li]
[/list]

pls add abrogation of the demonic Land Use Act to this list. If the protest is about the above they will have my attention. Occupy Nigeria should start by occupying their local govt office and demand performance. Anything else na fashion parade.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by mcqt21: 11:46pm On Jan 07, 2012
abegi jonatan go sleep, d strike must go on, y cnt u cut down al d govt expenses 2 develop al wat u r sayin, u 1nt d masses 2 pay 4 al dat, 4godsake
dis country is an oil producing 1, y shud we buy fuel at such exhorbitant priceuh??i de binu o angry
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by dayokanu(m): 11:51pm On Jan 07, 2012
Retardeen has spoken again
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jan 07, 2012
E nice:

look, anybody do anyhow here go see anyhow. On monday, i am going out with my goons . Who 4ck up, i go 4ck am up. My president, keep up the good works. We are 100% behind you.

u better no go over do tins my brother.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by donobi(m): 11:58pm On Jan 07, 2012
See fear for Gej face as he broadcast & all what he said are rubbish. Labour i want to start my own strike after church tomorrow being sunday. I ve already locked my office since last friday waiting for monday, but i'm ready now.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by OmoTier1(m): 12:01am On Jan 08, 2012
E nice:

Shut up there, silly rant! By Sunday night you'r probably experiencing a body travel, so better shut it in!
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by digidamage: 12:02am On Jan 08, 2012
So if President Goodluck Jonathan spends N1billion a year on feeding, which means he spends N3million daily. Today the 7th he has already spent N21million on feeding this year. And they say we shouldn't #OcuppyNigeria
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by eghost247(m): 12:03am On Jan 08, 2012
Beaf:

^
That is a silly list.

@topic

[list]
[li]Corruption[/li]
[li]True federalism[/li]
[/list]
PDP must have BEAF on their payroll the way he is quick to come to their defense in the politics section is unbelievable never seen anyone so committed to stressing his point on an online forum  
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by victorazy(m): 12:05am On Jan 08, 2012
(MR. PRESIDENT'S SPEACH) It has been a mystery right from the day I was born that anything that is over me must fall and die for me to be on top. From my childhood, my secondary school days how I later became senior prefct, during chairmanship to gov how I subdue Alams to become Bayelsa governor. I was vise presido under Yaradua and u guyz know d story cuz he never live to tell. Now dat am d president, is time for Nigeria to die so dat I will be called "The oil land, The giant of Africa, Niger Delta, The richest man in d world and d most to be called NIGERIA" u guyz are making noise. It has been my destiny that my borden must die for me to rule. So its Nigeria's
turn to die and after here am heading to ECOWAS etc. to rule, c u then.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by EvilBrain1(m): 12:05am On Jan 08, 2012
E nice:

Okaay!! You must be a policeman!!

No wonder.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by OmoPastor(m): 12:05am On Jan 08, 2012
My question to the labour is if the subsidy is reversed how do they expect the country to be run knowing that the economy is heading for the rocks. i think the government should also consider the people that are at the receiving end of this matter. i think we are not being told all we need to know.
Re: NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan by willy2000(m): 12:06am On Jan 08, 2012
digidamage:

So if President Goodluck Jonathan spends N1billion a year on feeding, which means he spends N3million daily. Today the 7th he has already spent [size=24pt]N21million on feeding this year[/size]. And they say we shouldn't #OcuppyNigeria
[size=40pt]BEAF[/size] i hope u see this, ur dumb ass boss should first cut this before we sacrifice any thing too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Soldiers Repel Boko Haram Attack At Rann, Borno State / Malami Rejects Call To Pay Recovered Loot Into Federation Account / Amotekun Arrests 120 Suspects In ‘Operation Clean Up’ Exercise In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.