Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations (13809 Views)

Impeachment Over: Fayose Calls For Street Jubilation As APC Lawmakers End Tenure / NLC And Trade Unions To Embark On strike On Tuesday. / NLC And TUC REPLIES President Goodluck Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by scopusng(m): 11:39pm On Jan 01, 2012
The Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress, along with the pro-people civil society organizations and patriotic professional organisations have rejected the new fuel prices and directed Nigerians to resist their imposition.

In a statement, they described today’s withdrawal of fuel subsidies by the Presidency as “callous and insensitive,” and intended to cause anarchy in the country.

“It is tragic that the Jonathan Government has become the greatest source of insecurity in the country and the spring of danger to the Nigerian nation,” the statement said, and the bodies directed their state councils and unions to take steps to resist any price above N65 litre of PMS.
They further asked them to await a date for the commencement of general strikes and mass protests across the country.

“Similarly, we alert the populace to begin immediate mobilization towards the d-day for the commencement of the strikes, street demonstrations and mass protests across the country,” the statement said.

[Full text of the statement]: mobilizes

As Nigerians mourn the victims of the bomb blasts in the last few days and grapple with insecurity, the Jonathan Administration decided to utilize this period to impose astronomical fuel price increases on the populace.

This New Year “gift” by the Presidency is callous, insensitive and is intended to cause anarchy in the country. It is tragic that the Jonathan Government has become the greatest source of insecurity in the country and the spring of danger to the Nigerian nation.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/fuel-subsidy-withdrawal-nlc-and-tuc-urge-nigerians-prepare-massive-street-demonstrations
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by Timmy321(m): 9:34am On Jan 02, 2012
We are fully and ever ready no matter how long it will take us but one thing is certain, JONATHAN MUST GO! JONATHAN MUST GO!! JONATHAN MUST GO!!! We don't went him anymore.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by blueheart(m): 9:35am On Jan 02, 2012
Enough talking, lets act, Woke up disappointed dat d fireworks havent started already. Nigerians will adapt as its usual. Cry for our beloved country. How did we even get to this?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by babarazy: 9:36am On Jan 02, 2012
welcome to 2012
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by campbell05: 9:37am On Jan 02, 2012
HE THAT FIGHT AND RUN AWAY. WE COME BACK AND FIGHT AGAIN, I CRY FOR NIGERIA.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by Nobody: 9:40am On Jan 02, 2012
What kind of gift is this from GEJ
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by Samoo01: 9:46am On Jan 02, 2012
We're taking to the street. It's either Mr. Jonathan or Nigeria. There cannot be both.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by Nobody: 9:47am On Jan 02, 2012
Where are those educated illiterates,  where dem dey, shebi na Jona una vote for, no be PDP?  grin

Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by Nobody: 9:49am On Jan 02, 2012
[size=14pt]no amount of protest will reverse the subsidy. It has been removed so we should try and live with it. Nigerians should begin to understand that what they say, or do on the streets doesn't matter, can't change a thing, and will not affect the decision made by the ruling class. Any street demonstrations because of subsidy removal is PURE WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY[/size]
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by tetraman(m): 9:51am On Jan 02, 2012
NIGERIANS, THE TIME HAS COME.
THE DOG CALLED JONATHAN MUST GO!!!
LET US RETURN HIM TO HIS WHITE MASSAs (IMF,World Bank, US state dept).
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by freecocoa(f): 9:52am On Jan 02, 2012
@BLueheart, My dear you know this country and its people very well, its all talk,no action then adaptation and the suffering continues.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by Nobody: 9:52am On Jan 02, 2012
Ebi like say plenty plenty Goodluck go dey for some ppl this year no be small.

Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by samstels: 9:55am On Jan 02, 2012
My people ,let us be realistic ,this is NIGERIA .

Nothing ,i repeat nothing will happen if you are expecting mass demonstrations .I have been a union executive when i was in employed labour .

99 % of the executives are there for their personal gains ,TUC ,NLC ,PENGASSAN NUPENG ETC .

They will make so much noise and at the end of the day ,the central body will fail you .

Let us try and adjust to the new price ,very simple ,plan your self ,no more frivolous trips on your cars .If you are strong enough walk to your office and back .Curtail some excesses.No impulsive buying , and in all let us join hands and fight corruption , How you mat ask ?

JUST TRY AND DO THE RIGHT THING .DO NOT GIVE OR RECEIVE BRIBES .INSIST ON THE RIGHT THING .

BE TRAFFIC DISCIPLINED ,JUST BE A GOOD CITIZEN ,I CAN SEE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL,

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by greenhope(m): 9:58am On Jan 02, 2012
Hmmmmmmm trouble looming.

Na by force I no want drink

Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by mikedore: 9:59am On Jan 02, 2012
it pains me we dnt ve the arab blood, this is d perfect time for cleansing of d nation. revolution, let it begin.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by topatee: 10:06am On Jan 02, 2012
I wish everyone happy new year,
if anyone listen to the debate in December, it was concluded that there was no alternative to subsidy removal unless we want to end up like Greece and other failing economy,
that subsidy only enrich the high and powerful and the present set of govt official cannot deal with the cabals.
My grouse with the Govt is
1. Why lie about the take off date (they promised April) ?
2. Why is it taken eternity to privatize PHCN (the more jobs) ?
3. Why is the railway still not working as promised (failed promises) ?
4. When will the private refineries take off?

Finally, Falana and others said it plainly, the masses find it hard to trust the Govt because of past failed promises.
I pray God will help Nigeria
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by mikolo80: 10:20am On Jan 02, 2012
una jus de blow grammar for hia.all we need now is not street protest but to recall all our national assembly by collectin ppls signatures on petitions and see how fast they will start servin the common man.alas it takes uncommon men to organise such a total recall
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by OmoTier1(m): 10:27am On Jan 02, 2012
n.oxide:

[size=14pt]no amount of protest will reverse the subsidy. It has been removed so we should try and live with it. Nigerians should begin to understand that what they say, or do on the streets doesn't matter, can't change a thing, and will not affect the decision made by the ruling class. Any street demonstrations because of subsidy removal is PURE WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY[/size]
Dude if you live in Nigeria, better go beginning store food and basic necessities before Labour and OCSG make their pronouncement today/tomorrow. Even the action by PPPRA will be challenged in court as the PPPRA board did not meet to remove the subsidy nor did it meet to increase pump price!

This again might be our oppourtunity to send a very clear message to the FG. DO NOT TAKE NIGERIANS FOR A RIDE.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by campbell05: 10:27am On Jan 02, 2012
abeg i wan ask question.  juju no dey work again? all those things where we dey see for yoruba movie? make them send jonathan visitor na?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by ridgeman: 10:27am On Jan 02, 2012
I think an earlier poster put it best- nothing is going to happen if its left to organised Labour protest. The union leaders are all on one government payroll or the other! Only the real 'common man' can make any impact. 2012 is the year of common sense for the common man
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by blueheart(m): 10:30am On Jan 02, 2012
@freecocoa, therein lies my fear, pple will shrug nd just adapt. Where i am presently, sum of us even went to work like there is nothing wrong. No fuel around Ibadan tho. D consequences of dis removal cant even b accurately quantified. One thing is sure, d balance of life in Nigeria will b overturned
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by donguutti: 10:32am On Jan 02, 2012
prepare ur austerity measures,cut all frivolous spending,i forsee economic slowdown.i see the light at the end of the tunnel,but its either a train or some drunk fisherman roastin plantain with our subsidy "savings".This is how government builds "trust",the anti removal proponentS at the town hall charade must be feeling like dimwits.JUST BE PREPARED FOR ANYTHING
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by OmoTier1(m): 10:32am On Jan 02, 2012
topatee:

I wish everyone happy new year,
if anyone listen to the debate in December, it was concluded that there was no alternative to subsidy removal unless we want to end up like Greece and other failing economy,
that subsidy only enrich the high and powerful and the present set of govt official cannot deal with the cabals.
My grouse with the Govt is
1. Why lie about the take off date (they promised April) ?
2. Why is it taken eternity to privatize PHCN (the more jobs) ?
3. Why is the railway still not working as promised (failed promises) ?
4. When will the private refineries take off?

Finally, Falana and others said it plainly, the masses find it hard to trust the Govt because of past failed promises.
I pray God will help Nigeria

Thank you! This government began her journey from the pit of deceit during the PDP primaries, engaged in massive deceit during the electioneering campaign, and has continued to engage in deceit since she came into power in May 2011.

While the nation yet mourn the death of her precious citizens during the christmas day bombing, a heartless Jonathan played His cards of deceit yet again on Nigerians.

Like you rightly said, there is no room for subsidy of Petroluem products to remain they way it is, but the FG have failed to spell out to nigerians how this policy will not send them to early graves.

ARE WE GOING TO BE SHOUTING SOON , DEATH TO GEJ LIKE THE LIBYIANS DID TO GADAFFI
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by dadicvila(m): 10:34am On Jan 02, 2012
Oya oOO!!!Nigerians time don reach oO!!!No much talk,leave the comfort of your house and protest 4 ur unborn kids,, we kant continue to be kicked around
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by moshoodn(m): 10:36am On Jan 02, 2012
Lets take to the streets. . .

Let our voices rant the air and overwhelm Aso Rock!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by Babamide(m): 10:43am On Jan 02, 2012
There is going to be no protest whatsoever. People just finished christmas and new year celebrations so the are broke. Next pay is at the end of the month and by then school fees would be overdue. The pay after that is end of february and lets face it, whatever you've managed with for 2months is not worth the trouble of strike and protest. Happy 2o12 nigerians
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by ceejayluv(m): 10:45am On Jan 02, 2012
Make una calm down ooo, Fuel subsidy removal aint worth dying for,
We should be pressurising the govt for improved power, transport, educational and health infrastructure, Those will benefit us more than having cheap fuel.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by Beaf: 10:47am On Jan 02, 2012
Omo_Tier1:

Thank you! This government began her journey from the pit of deceit during the PDP primaries, engaged in massive deceit during the electioneering campaign, and has continued to engage in deceit since she came into power in May 2011.

While the nation yet mourn the death of her precious citizens during the christmas day bombing, a heartless Jonathan played His cards of deceit yet again on Nigerians.

Like you rightly said, there is no room for subsidy of Petroluem products to remain they way it is, but the FG have failed to spell out to nigerians how this policy will not send them to early graves.

ARE WE GOING TO BE SHOUTING SOON , DEATH TO GEJ LIKE THE LIBYIANS DID TO GADAFFI

Is your "revolution" going to take place in London?
Welldone bros! You de UK de tell pipul make take bele face mopol! You are a "strong" man sha!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 02, 2012
I am not demonstrating anything. In the end the Labour Leaders will take bribe and my sweat will be in vain.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by OmoTier1(m): 10:50am On Jan 02, 2012
Beaf:

Is your "revolution" going to take place in London?
Welldone bros! You de UK de tell pipul make take bele face mopol! You are a "strong" man sha!
I hope you know those that made Gaddafi down fall possible where not all in LIBYA? , Your pay master in chief has shown to be a distant cousin of Gaddafi and I hope He is not hiding in the bunker of aso rock like He did during the 1st of October Independence day celebrations.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by charlsecy4(m): 10:53am On Jan 02, 2012
donguutti:

prepare your austerity measures,cut all frivolous spending,i forsee economic slowdown.i see the light at the end of the tunnel,but its either a train or some drunk fisherman roastin plantain with our subsidy "savings".This is how government builds "trust",the anti removal proponentS at the town hall charade must be feeling like dimwits.JUST BE PREPARED FOR ANYTHING

There is something fishy about the "subsidy gains." Since the government claimed they were borrowing to finance subsidy, where would the savings from the removal of subsidy emanate from?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Withdrawal: Nlc And Tuc Mobilizes For Street Demonstrations by TopAnalyst(m): 10:54am On Jan 02, 2012
n.oxide:

Where are you from? Is it not better to keep quiet and listen to others if you have nothing useful to say on this matter?
I'm very sure you're not a Nigerian (probably a stroll) or a Nigerian in diaspora.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan’s Alleged Forged Doctorate Certificate Surfaces / Senate Passes Power Sector Reform Act Amendment Bill / 'Sunset Workers' Employed By Abdulfatah Ahmed Not Sacked - Kwara Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.