Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,712 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:52 PM

Corruption, Ethnocentricism And Religious Bigotry - The Realities Of Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Corruption, Ethnocentricism And Religious Bigotry - The Realities Of Nigeria (802 Views)

Why Is Father Mbaka Silent In The Face Of These Harsh Economic Realities? / Apc/tinubu's Folly And Pdp/ffk Bigotry! The Ogun Drama. / Nigerians, Lets Shun Religious Bigotry!! (the Naira Note Symbols) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Corruption, Ethnocentricism And Religious Bigotry - The Realities Of Nigeria by banks44(m): 5:53pm On Jan 12, 2012
I have been following the recent political storm making the headlines in Nigeria, from the frequent mass murders carried out by a notorious terrorist group in the north, to the mass protests across the country against government's removal of its subsidy for fuel (petrol and petroleum products). I have listened to arguments from both sides of the fence and tried to find some sense amidst the madness. The situation is bad to say the least. Hundreds of lives have been lost over the past few months to bombings and massacres in the north while threats of even more killings has gripped the country with panic. Fear of reprisal killings in the south have raised the possibility of a full blown sectarian conflict. On the other hand, security forces sent by government to quell mass protests organised against the removal of the government's fuel subsidy have been accused of shooting at protesters. The country is on the brink and some now fear another civil war might be looming.

My question is how did we as a country get here? How did we get to be ruled by a president whose every statement infuriates the citizenry rather than inspire them? President Goodluck Jonathan has displayed a shocking incapacity to provide neither hope for Nigerians in times of despair nor support in times of their greatest need. A slow-speaking intellectual from the southern part of the country, President Goodluck has made it clear to everyone that a PhD afterall doesnt guarantee knowledge to lead and govern. I dont care if the removal of the fuel subsidy is a good or bad economic move, but whatever decision a government makes, it must have quantified the reaction and put adequate measures to mitigate impact. These measures must be trustworthy and believable. President Jonathan addresses Nigerians as if they are in primary school, spinning promises without specifics and making sweeping statements without evidence.

See more on my blog @ www.issuesinthenews.com
Re: Corruption, Ethnocentricism And Religious Bigotry - The Realities Of Nigeria by DRANOEL(m): 6:06pm On Jan 12, 2012
sentiments brought us gej!

nigeria is a funny country in that you can't criticize a president without his kinsmen(region) coming out to defend him. it is always "he is our own they don't want him thats why they are talking". if we were all the same tribe in this country'with out a doubt gej would have been the most infamous president ever! but alas we tend to see things through regional and religious eyes.
in the first place a man like gej shouldn't have been president going by his past records!

(1) (Reply)

Only A Northern President Can Handle/ Solve Boko Haram? / Is Mandela Dead For Real / Where Are Teh 1600 Buses?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.