Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol (34261 Views)

Jonathan Approves Diezani’s Sister And 60 Others For Political Appointments / Pres Jonathan Approves Automatic Promotion for Soldiers who Liberated Baga / Falling Crude Oil Price and Nigeria's N97/Litre Fuel Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by mukina2: 1:39am On Jan 16, 2012
Presidential Address On The Implementation Of The Deregulation Policy In The Downstream Sector Of The Petroleum Industry, Sunday, January 15, 2012
1. This is the second time in two weeks I will address you on the deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. In the last seven days, the nation has witnessed a disruption of economic activities. Although, the economic imperatives for the policy have been well articulated by government, the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) went ahead to declare a nationwide strike.

2. There was also near-breakdown of law and order in certain parts of the country as a result of the activities of some persons or groups of persons who took advantage of the situation to further their narrow interests by engaging in acts of intimidation, harassment and outright subversion of the Nigerian state. I express my sympathy to those who were adversely affected by the protests.
3. At the inception of the deregulation policy, Government had set up the Justice Alfa Belgore Committee to liaise with Labour and other stakeholders to address likely grey areas in the policy, but despite all our efforts, Labour refused the option of dialogue and also disobeyed a restraining order of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.

4. However, following the intervention of the Leadership of the National Assembly, and other well-meaning Nigerians, Labour accepted to meet with government, but this yielded no tangible result.

5. It has become clear to government and all well-meaning Nigerians that other interests beyond the implementation of the deregulation policy have hijacked the protest. This has prevented an objective assessment and consideration of all the contending issues for which dialogue was initiated by government. These same interests seek to promote discord, anarchy, and insecurity to the detriment of public peace.

6. Government appreciates that the implementation of the deregulation policy would cause initial hardships and commends Nigerians who have put forth suggestions and credible alternatives in this regard. Government also salutes Nigerians who by and large, conducted themselves peacefully while expressing their grievances. Let me assure you that government will continue to respect the people's right to express themselves within the confines of the law and in accordance with the dictates of our democratic space.

7. Government will continue to pursue full deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. However, given the hardships being suffered by Nigerians, and after due consideration and consultations with state governors and the leadership of the National Assembly, government has approved the reduction of the pump price of petrol to N97 per litre. The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has been directed to ensure compliance with this new pump price.

8. Government is working hard to reduce recurrent expenditure in line with current realities and to cut down on the cost of governance. In the meantime, government has commenced the implementation of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment projects: including the Federal Government- assisted mass transit programme which is already in place, and job creation for the youth.

9. Furthermore, the legal and regulatory regime for the petroleum industry will be reviewed to address accountability issues and current lapses in the Industry. In this regard, the Petroleum Industry Bill will be given accelerated attention. The report of the forensic audit carried out on the NNPC is being studied with a view to implementing the recommendations and sanctioning proven acts of corruption in the industry.

10. Let me assure Nigerians that this administration is irrevocably committed to tackling corruption in the petroleum industry as well as other sectors of the economy. Consequently, all those found to have contributed one way or the other to the economic adversity of the country will be dealt with in accordance with the law.

11. My dear compatriots, I urge you to show understanding for the imperatives of the adjustment in the pump price of petrol and give government your full support to ensure its successful implementation. I further appeal to Nigerians to go back to work and go about their normal duties as government has made adequate arrangements for the protection of life and property throughout the federation.

12. Government will not condone brazen acts of criminality and subversion. As President, I have sworn to uphold the unity, peace and order of the Nigerian State and by the grace of God, I intend to fully and effectively discharge that responsibility. Let me add that we are desirous of further engagements with Labour. I urge our Labour leaders to call off their strike, and go back to work.

13. Nigeria belongs to all of us and we must collectively safeguard its unity.

14. Thank you. God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN, GCFR
President,
Federal Republic of Nigeria

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/breaking-news-president-jonathan-unilaterally-reduces-fuel-price-n97

@MobilePunch Punch Newspapers
President Goodluck Jonathan approves new pump price of N97 per litre.

https://twitter.com/MobilePunch/status/158707495836196866
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 1:46am On Jan 16, 2012
Not good enough.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by BigBenoski(m): 1:48am On Jan 16, 2012
Has d strike been called off then?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by igbogolo: 1:48am On Jan 16, 2012
i hope nigerians dont settle for this, this is clearly not good enough

not good enough at all!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 1:50am On Jan 16, 2012
BigBenoski:
Has d strike been called off then?

NLC has suspended their strike. I'm sure protesters will still be in Ojota by morning.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by AjCityOne: 1:51am On Jan 16, 2012
Is this the most retarded person living on this planet. What people are saying is N65 or nothing. Go back and play more of your tribalism hand of card because it won't work. N65 or a Revolution to root out all corrupt politician.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by DanKan0: 1:51am On Jan 16, 2012
ogugua88:

NLC has suspended their strike. I'm sure protesters will still be in Ojota by morning.

source on them suspending?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by mayor360(m): 1:52am On Jan 16, 2012
Strike still on
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Iranoladun(f): 1:53am On Jan 16, 2012
Aluta continua; victoria ascerte!
N95 is not acceptable. FGN should revert price to N65!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Obiagu1(m): 1:53am On Jan 16, 2012
If this is true, then I will formally write him off as a useless man!

Increase from N65 to N97, demonstrations, strikes and deaths. Buses will hike their fares by 100%.
From N97 to whatever, demonstrations, strikes and deaths. Buses will still hike their fares by 100% making it 400% overall.

Why not get it done with once and for all?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by DanKan0: 1:54am On Jan 16, 2012
hmmm.

Which Way Nigeria which way?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by nairaman66(m): 1:54am On Jan 16, 2012
N65  or W.A.R
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by DanKan0: 1:55am On Jan 16, 2012

1.    This is the second time in two weeks I will address you on the deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. In the last seven days, the nation has witnessed a disruption of economic activities.  Although, the economic imperatives for the policy have been well articulated by government, the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) went ahead to declare a nationwide strike.

2.    There was also near-breakdown of law and order in certain parts of the country as a result of the activities of some persons or groups of persons who took advantage of the situation to further their narrow interests by engaging in acts of intimidation, harassment and outright subversion of the Nigerian state. I express my sympathy to those who were adversely affected by the protests.
3.    At the inception of the deregulation policy, Government had set up the Justice Alfa Belgore Committee to liaise with Labour and other stakeholders to address likely grey areas in the policy, but despite all our efforts, Labour refused the option of dialogue and also disobeyed a restraining order of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.

4.    However, following the intervention of the Leadership of the National Assembly, and other well-meaning Nigerians, Labour accepted to meet with government, but this yielded no tangible result.

5.    It has become clear to government and all well-meaning Nigerians that other interests beyond the implementation of the deregulation policy have hijacked the protest. This has prevented an objective assessment and consideration of all the contending issues for which dialogue was initiated by government. These same interests seek to promote discord, anarchy, and insecurity to the detriment of public peace.

6.    Government appreciates that the implementation of the deregulation policy would cause initial hardships and commends Nigerians who have put forth suggestions and credible alternatives in this regard. Government also salutes Nigerians who by and large, conducted themselves peacefully while expressing their grievances. Let me assure you that government will continue to respect the people's right to express themselves within the confines of the law and in accordance with the dictates of our democratic space.

7.    Government will continue to pursue full deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. However, given the hardships being suffered by Nigerians, and after due consideration and consultations with state governors and the leadership of the National Assembly, [size=20pt]government has approved the reduction of the pump price of petrol to N97 per litre. [/size]The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has been directed to ensure compliance with this new pump price.

8.    Government is working hard to reduce recurrent expenditure in line with current realities and to cut down on the cost of governance. In the meantime, government has commenced the implementation of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment projects: including the Federal Government- assisted mass transit programme which is already in place, and job creation for the youth.

9.     Furthermore, the legal and regulatory regime for the petroleum industry will be reviewed to address accountability issues and current lapses in the Industry. In this regard, the Petroleum Industry Bill will be given accelerated attention. The report of the forensic audit carried out on the NNPC is being studied with a view to implementing the recommendations and sanctioning proven acts of corruption in the industry.

10.                       Let me assure Nigerians that this administration is irrevocably committed to tackling corruption in the petroleum industry as well as other sectors of the economy. Consequently, all those found to have contributed one way or the other to the economic adversity of the country will be dealt with in accordance with the law.

11.                       My dear compatriots, I urge you to show understanding for the imperatives of the adjustment in the pump price of petrol and give government your full support to ensure its successful implementation. I further appeal to Nigerians to go back to work and go about their normal duties as government has made adequate arrangements for the protection of life and property throughout the federation.

12.                       Government will not condone brazen acts of criminality and subversion. As President, I have sworn to uphold the unity, peace and order of the Nigerian State and by the grace of God, I intend to fully and effectively discharge that responsibility.  Let me add that we are desirous of further engagements with Labour. I urge our Labour leaders to call off their strike, and go back to work.

13.                       Nigeria belongs to all of us and we must collectively safeguard its unity.

14.                       Thank you. God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN, GCFR
President,
Federal Republic of Nigeria

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/breaking-news-president-jonathan-unilaterally-reduces-fuel-price-n97
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 1:56am On Jan 16, 2012
DanKan0:
source on them suspending?

The NLC Leader said it on Channels TV. I don't have that channel but everyone that heard him speak is confirming that NLC protests are suspended. That doesn't mean Occupy Nigeria won't be out tomorrow. They're demanding N65 or nothing.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Obaino34(m): 1:56am On Jan 16, 2012
Bros eeeh, i swear we no go gree' All we r sayn is #65 n nutin more!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Skii(m): 1:56am On Jan 16, 2012
Why don't they ever do these meetings at neutral venues? angry

There is an effect negotiating in your enemy's territory has on the one coming from outside, now labour has fallen for it

%*$#!!!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jmaine: 1:59am On Jan 16, 2012
Security building up at the Ojota Park  . . .No more Carnival fest cos the NLC has suspended public rally for security reasons . . .thread with caution fellas, as you occupy

With this move . . .It's unofficially over . . .
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 1:59am On Jan 16, 2012
Strike is still on, its the street protests that have been suspended due to security concerns
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 2:01am On Jan 16, 2012
^^^ Ah, thanks.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by DanKan0: 2:02am On Jan 16, 2012
jmaine:

Security building up at the Ojota Park  . . .No more Carnival fest cos the NLC has suspended public rally for security reasons . . .thread with caution fellas, as you occupy

With this move . . .It's unofficially over . . .

They have not got enough security to cover the nation o. Is that Ojota Park the only place? Or will they put curfew stop people coming out?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by nairaman66(m): 2:05am On Jan 16, 2012

Stop living your life on unconfirmed reports/rumors!

Read this;

ABUJA (AFP) – The Nigerian labour unions said they were considering their next moves after talks Sunday with President Goodluck Jonathan aimed at ending a week-old strike and mass protests over fuel prices.

“We have come and listened to the president … on the issue of removal of fuel subsidy and we are going now to analyse the submission of Mr President and take a decision,” said Nigeria Labour Congress chief Abdulwahed Omar.

Asked whether the strike that has shut down the country would resume as planned on Monday after a weekend pause, he said, “there are a wide range of possibilities.”

Jonathan was expected to address the nation either late Sunday or Monday.

Talks on Saturday at the presidency failed to end the strike over soaring fuel prices in Africa’s largest oil producer due to an end to government subsidies.

But the mediator in the crisis, Senate President David Mark, said earlier Sunday that the government had reached a decision on how to move forward.

A nationwide strike and protests that began January 9 have brought tens of thousands into the streets and shut down Africa’s most populous nation.

While the strike was suspended for the weekend, labour leaders warned it would resume Monday if a deal had not been reached. But an earlier threat to shut down oil production however has been put on hold.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by chillex8(m): 2:06am On Jan 16, 2012
15 th January, 2012
Press Statement
WHY LABOUR— FG TALKS STALLED AND STRIKE/PROTESTS CONTINUE MONDAY 16 JANUARY
The talks between the Federal Government and Labour represented by the Nigeria Labour Congress
(NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) in Abuja on Saturday 14 th January, 2012 stalled due to
differences on the methodology in finding a solution to the crisis.
Labour's analysis of the situation is that tension is very high in the land following the fuel price increase,
the resultant strikes, rallies and street protests and the human causalities that have followed. And that a
suspension of the new petrol prices will reduce tension and return the country to normalcy.
We decided to make a plea to President Goodluck Jonathan in the overriding interest of the country to
suspend the PMS (petrol) price increases and direct that talks between government and Labour be
concluded on the petroleum industry especially at it affects fuel subsidy and pricing within a short time
frame.
We made a pledge that once the price increase suspension is announced, Labour and its allies will
immediately suspend the strikes, rallies and street protests.
The summary of Labour's position at the meeting was that talks and consultations were on- going
before government aborted them by announcing the 120- 220 per cent increase in the price of petrol,
and that it is necessary to return to the status quo in order to douse tension, return the country to
normalcy and allow for a conducive atmosphere for consultations and talks.
However, Government's only offer was to reduce the new prices while declining to allow a phased price
increase. We think that the government position will not return the country to normalcy. The Labour
Movement pledges that whenever and wherever government invites us for talks, we shall be there
without any conditionality.
Objectives of the Strikes and Protests
The Labour Movement once again reiterate that the strikes, rallies and streets protests must be peaceful
and that the objective is the reversal of the petrol (PMS ) prices to their pre- January 1, 2012 level. We
are therefore not campaigning for 'Regime Change'
The Labour Movement is wedded to democracy, therefore, anybody or group that wants a change in
the political leadership of the country at whatever level, should do so through the ballot box.
The Labour Movement and its Civil Society allies are also saddened by the unprecedented loss of lives
and injuries sustained during the indefinite strikes, rallies and streets protests that commenced from
Monday January 9, 2012.
We reiterate that those who visit violence on protesters and their masters who gave such evil orders will
individually be brought to justice.
We in the Labour Movement have done our duty to our country; we have made tremendous sacrifices
including loss of lives; we have carried out the mandate of the Nigerian people; we can do no more.
For the avoidance of any doubt, the indefinite strikes, rallies and protests continue nationwide
from Monday 16 th January, 2012.
Owei Lakemfa John Kolawole
Acting General Secretary Secretary General
Nigeria Labour Congress Trade Union Congres
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by tainot2002(m): 2:06am On Jan 16, 2012
We know how they use to play the game already, Every dick and harry knows that they actually wanted to increase the fuel pump price,so what is the meaning of their so call Subsidy now, abi they dont know the meaning of subsidy ni, Bunch of fools head by a clueless leader!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jmaine: 2:06am On Jan 16, 2012
[size=18pt]Furthermore, the legal and regulatory regime for the petroleum industry will be reviewed to address accountability issues and current lapses in the Industry. In this regard, the Petroleum Industry Bill will be given accelerated attention.[/size] The report of the forensic audit carried out on the NNPC is being studied with a view to implementing the recommendations and sanctioning proven acts of corruption in the industry.

Let's see the sincerity of the NASS as the touted mouth piece of the people in recent days . . . . and the sincerity of the protesters to hound them till that bill is passed into law . . . Time to prove to us that our agitation is beyond subsidy removal but a holistic approach to tackle the root cause of our challenges
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 2:07am On Jan 16, 2012
[size=13pt]Those of you busy spreading false news should know that you aid in ruining the chance this country has for real change. Instead of constantly creating threads with conflicting reports. . . .most of them UNSUBSTANTIATED rumours. Rather than allow yourselves used to derail the efforts of the people, why not stay your hands until we get real reports on changes occurring, or not occurring.[/size]
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Beaf: 2:09am On Jan 16, 2012
[size=14pt]I will advise the good people to avoid Ojota.
NLC suspended their strike because of serious concerns bordering on treason. Be wise.[/size]
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by iluvnaija: 2:10am On Jan 16, 2012
This presido is a JOKE!
Who is paying the difference? Obviously they know what they are doing.

IT IS N65 OR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by DanKan0: 2:10am On Jan 16, 2012
chillex8:

[size=16pt]We in the Labour Movement have done our duty to our country; we have made tremendous sacrifices
including loss of lives; we have carried out the mandate of the Nigerian people; we can do no more.
[/size]
For the avoidance of any doubt, the indefinite strikes, rallies and protests continue nationwide
from Monday 16 th January, 2012.

Nigeria. Which way?  cool . NLC have done what they can now its the people. Can we sacrfice for tommorow
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Kobojunkie: 2:11am On Jan 16, 2012
[size=13pt]Those of you busy spreading false news should know that you aid in ruining the chance this country has for real change. Instead of constantly creating threads with conflicting reports. . . .most of them UNSUBSTANTIATED rumours. Rather than allow yourselves used to derail the efforts of the people, why not stay your hands until we get real reports on changes occurring, or not occurring.[/size]
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by toluxa1(m): 2:11am On Jan 16, 2012
All the N65 or nothing people are just wasting their time. This is a final, I repeat FINAL decision by Government. I will suggest anyone who protest this infact to be arrested.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by portage(m): 2:11am On Jan 16, 2012
This thing is no longer about 65 naira or even 97 naira/ litre of petrol. angry angry

It is about corruption in Government and people should be held responsible.

There are no "checks and balances" in the Government and also there is lack of "separation of powers"

If SLS has been shouting all these while about corruption and some people are taking the fuel out of the country to sell, why is it then difficult for judiciary to act independently and prosecute all these thieves without the executive interfering?

If Jonathan can reduce the pump price to 97 naira, why is it difficult for him to reduce salaries and allowances of these thieves in the SENATE AND HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVE??

So, this is all about accountability and transparency in Government.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by stkris(m): 2:12am On Jan 16, 2012
N65 or nothing.

A push should also be made to review and cut the ridiculous allowance packages payed to govt. officials.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Man Drinks Dirty Water To Celebrate Yahaya Bello's Victory(photos) / Anambra 2021: Arthur Eze Drums Support For Nnewi Governorship Candidate / Keep Quiet! Ex-Militants Tell Edwin Clark

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.