Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol (34243 Views)

Jonathan Approves Diezani’s Sister And 60 Others For Political Appointments / Pres Jonathan Approves Automatic Promotion for Soldiers who Liberated Baga / Falling Crude Oil Price and Nigeria's N97/Litre Fuel Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by stagger: 9:20am On Jan 16, 2012
Labour has asked that there should be no rallies.

Anyone going to Ojota especially with reports of soldiers being deployed there is risking his/her life!

Stay alive! REMAIN AT HOME!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by 989900: 9:22am On Jan 16, 2012
97/litre is unacceptable 97/litre = chaos and no defined parameters.

65/litre. . we want transparency, accountability and defined parameters for arriving at any new price after our refineries start producing at over 75% capacity
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by aljharem(m): 9:23am On Jan 16, 2012
Beaf:

What do you think the jobs of your LG chairman and state governor should be doing? There is no reason why the 36 states should be dependent on the FG in a federal system.
This is why I called you a parasite earlier, you are happy with the status quo of dependency.

Yes of course there is no reason why LGC and SG should be dependent on the FG.

but if that is the reason why GEJ removed subsidy then I would expect the following to have been done not remove subsidy

1. Merge non viable states and LG together.

2. Diversify the economy a bit more by opening plantation of the various food crops each regions specializes in

3. explore other minerial resourses eg bitumens which is Nigeria (ondo, edo, ogun) has the third largest in the world after canada, russia and china, also coal in enugu and lead in bauchi

4. I would also have expected him to tell us about the port harcourt fertilizer company and how it would be able to keep up with the production since the country is going back to basics.

Those are the things I would have expected and I am sure millions of Nigerian too would have loved to here that. It seems to me it goes beyond fuel subsidy and cabals

It seems to me after reading the SURE program scheme and he just wants more allocations to the ND states and he did not know how to go about it, thus he brought out this deregulation thing

1.3 trillion, half of it goes to the governors

and quarter of the allocations goes to the ND states - 8 states

while the remaining quarter goes to all other nIgerian state.

200 billion of it is used by the FG to do something not clear

while the remaining half is used for the buses etc.

Buses which is also a form of subsidy. thus back to square one ain't we ?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 16, 2012
jamace:

Please, if you can't protest,  don't discourage others from protesting. If the soldiers dare kill, hell will be let loose. Govt belongs to the people, not the leaders.

That's an irresponsible protest. Soldiers are deployed and you are encouraging protests, in a country like Nigeria. I am sure you are in one comfort zone in your house typing nonsense.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by LogicMind: 9:26am On Jan 16, 2012
F.uuck you Jonathan.
Fifa president coughed, you changed position.
A few lazy beggars in the streets, you changed position.
Can't you just for once make a decision and stick to it?
There are a silent majority in favour of the subsidy removal.
Is your govt. that of favouring who shouts loudest.
F.ucking dissappointed.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 16, 2012
engineerd:

Even the Military did not shoot at non violent protest.
of course, they will be specifically instructed not to shoot at peaceful protesters. But the question is do you have 100% assurance that the protest will not be violent? If the answer is NO, stay in your house and encourage others to stay home as well.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by BetaThings: 9:27am On Jan 16, 2012
bayooooooo:

If you are anywhere near Ojota, it's time to go home. Pass the message across to as many people you can reach. Soldiers are not sent to threaten people, they are sent to kill. and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Next election, if someone  with history of incompetence in government tells you he was once without shirt, of course you should know what to do.

By the man they stayed in the sun for hours to vote for 9 months ago?
Seems like 9years ago by actions of GEJ
Nigerians have got themselves Mobutu Sese Seko, Mubarak and Mugabe rolled into 1
How some people reward their supporters
Of course some people are joyous here
FRESH AIR
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jjzones(m): 9:30am On Jan 16, 2012
It is a shame if we accept this new price. This punk of a president promised electricity by december 2011, have you seen any difference except for the first few days of the strike? Do not mistake this protest for that of the subsidy removal, it is a protest against corruption in high places. It is only unfortunate that Nigerians don't get the picture sometimes. Maybe because of the suffering and smiling syndrome we are suffering from but the real truth is that whether we like it or not these people 'government' do not have wards in Nigerian universities, no. if they did, no one of them would want their children to spend 8 years running a 4 year course, you tell me. They get feed in billions of our naira we only eat crumbs from their tables. They fly first class, we get stuck in traffic due to bad roads. At the end of the day our children don't get jobs, theirs is only a phone dial away even months before they graduate from harvard. Their children are also considered first for public offices before any of us or ours. I think our siddon look disease has eaten away the 'area' from Nija. Let us protest. Nija, Area!!! By the way I wap for those who have weak hearts towards the fight for justice. Don't get me wrong, I do want peace but justice must be done. Justice is not given, we gotta take it. Oyinbo dem dash us democracy, maybe na him put us where we dey. If to say we take am by force nobody for try this trash with our heads. If you decide to leave the oil cabals to enjoy their deeds unperturbed and you aim for the chikini naira in the pockets of innocent Nigerians, you have gone too far taking us for fools. Time to let everyone know the evil you guys do. Gadaffi didn't do this bad before he got the bullet. We will peacefully protest against the government. The handshake might reach our elbows later if we shake N97/litre in the hand.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 9:30am On Jan 16, 2012
1 thing is clear, no one from Niger Delta will ever have a chance to get to Aso Rock again! Nigerians from all over rallied around this man and this is what you get.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jamace(m): 9:31am On Jan 16, 2012
If you are anywhere near Ojota, it's time to go home. Pass the message across to as many people you can reach.
Soldiers are not sent to threaten people, they are sent to kill. and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Next election, if someone  with history of incompetence in government tells you he was once without shirt, of course you should know what to do.
Stop that propaganda. Soldiers are never sent to kill protesters. If you don't have the balls to protest, let those who have do it for you. Thank you.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by aljharem(m): 9:31am On Jan 16, 2012
jjzones:

It is a shame if we accept this new price. This punk of a president promised electricity by december 2011, have you seen any difference except for the first few days of the strike? Do not mistake this protest for that of the subsidy removal, it is a protest against corruption in high places. It is only unfortunate that Nigerians don't get the picture sometimes. Maybe because of the suffering and smiling syndrome we are suffering from but the real truth is that whether we like it or not these people 'government' do not have wards in Nigerian universities, no. if they did, no one of them would want their children to spend 8 years running a 4 year course, you tell me. They get feed in billions of our naira we only eat crumbs from their tables. They fly first class, we get stuck in traffic due to bad roads. At the end of the day our children don't get jobs, theirs is only a phone dial away even months before they graduate from harvard. Their children are also considered first for public offices before any of us or ours. I think our siddon look disease has eaten away the 'area' from Nija. Let us protest. Nija, Area!!! By the way I wap for those who have weak hearts towards the fight for justice. Don't get me wrong, I do want peace but justice must be done. Justice is not given, we gotta take it. Oyinbo dem dash us democracy, maybe na him put us where we dey. If to say we take am by force nobody for try this trash with our heads. If you decide to leave the oil cabals to enjoy their deeds unperturbed and you aim for the chikini naira in the pockets of innocent Nigerians, you have gone too far taking us for fools. Time to let everyone know the evil you guys do. Gadaffi didn't do this bad before he got the bullet. We will peacefully protest against the government. The handshake might reach our elbows later if we shake N97/litre in the hand.

we have not accepted the price o
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 9:32am On Jan 16, 2012
And to think people already died for this struggle, only for us to be taken for a ride again. And to be threatened by soldiers?? The last i checked Nigeria belongs to all of us, so why use force and intimidation?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Okijajuju1(m): 9:33am On Jan 16, 2012
In the end, what did we achieve with the street protests?! Answer is "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING". 97Naira simply means we are still subsidising, prices of goods and services still remains high, the Cabal is still importing and still jave enough profit margin to bribe, over-inflate and divert products as the corrupt officials are still incharge, yhe senators are still earning their overbloated salaries and allowances and in the end, the masses are still the ones to suffer.

This is what you get when an Aboki is the spokesman of the ppl and you stage a protesy for the wrong reasons. Summarily its business as usual. I laugh at everyone who wasted their time on the #OCCUPY NIGERIA protests. You were all used by politicians to achieve nothing. Meanwhile, no new refinerirs as it still isnt profitable to locally produce at 97naira hence no new jobs.

I weep for this nation.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by goldng: 9:34am On Jan 16, 2012
I pray for peace and tranquility in Nigeria. Amen.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by BetaThings: 9:34am On Jan 16, 2012
bayooooooo:

of course, they will be specifically instructed not to shoot at peaceful protesters. But the question is do you have 100% assurance that the protest will not be violent? If the answer is NO, stay in your house and encourage others to stay home as well.

The soldiers are intimidating people and would like to elicit a response so that they can shoot
You are forgetting that some people are mentally wired to enjoy killing
The boys killed at Ojota were not protesting - one was going home after reading newspaper at the bus stop, other were playing football
You don't need any assurance - throughout last week, there was not a single incident of violence
If there is any violence now, then you can trace to the new factor introduced into the situation - soldiers

FRESH AIR
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 16, 2012
jamace:

Next election, if someone  with history of incompetence in government tells you he was once without shirt, of course you should know what to do. Stop that propaganda. Soldiers are never sent to kill protesters. If you don't have the balls to protest, let those who have do it for you. Thank you.

Exactly! I mean what nonsense is this, GEJ should not feel threatened by Nigerians exercising their rights as long as it is within the rules of democracy!
This is what happens when u let Bakare speak at the rally! Now they have an excuse, bakare should have been stoned!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by londoner: 9:36am On Jan 16, 2012
I think GEJ knew all along that he would cause an uproar, which will then give him the necessary pressure/space to negotiate.

He isn't as stupid as some  people take him for. It is regrettable that people lost their lives though.

Lets see if people accept it or if they push for 65 naira.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by honeric01(m): 9:37am On Jan 16, 2012
Things GEJ said by not saying in his speech:

1) If I call you protesters miscreants and instruct ministers and media to do so, the whole world will believe me and will not blame me for killing you
2) I have to protect my friends. They provided the funds I bribed you with pre election. Have you quickly forgotten how much money you made off them? All the times you went away smiling with tablets and dollars, you did not know you would need to pay it back? They need to make their money back so please shut the f*ck up. Can you now see why I am angry with you
3) We still need N1b for food. We are hungry in Aso Rock. I worked hard to get re-elected. I kissed a lot of a*ses I hated and humbled myself, and you don't want me to enjoy the fruit of my labour?
4) The Oil is not even your own. We Ijaws have been subsidising you for years. Did yorubas Nigeria with their cocoa? It is our money and we must chop it.
5) The people or should I say miscreants that died, died for nothing. How dare they kick against my command?
6) I don't know what else you want me to do - at least I am now pretending to address corruption. When last did anybody do that?
7) If you do not like my regime, get out of my country.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by BetaThings: 9:42am On Jan 16, 2012
engineerd:

Exactly! I mean what nonsense is this, GEJ should not feel threatened by Nigerians exercising their rights as long as it is within the rules of democracy!
This is what happens when u let Bakare speak at the rally! Now they have an excuse, bakare should have been stoned!

Federal government people have been talking
Why should Bakare not be allowed to talk
All you need is shred his arguments. What are they afraid of
Is Bakare, a known and vocal critic, not better than silent plotters?

Rule of Law NOT, Rule of LORD by FORCE it now is
FRESH AIR
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 9:44am On Jan 16, 2012
BetaThings:

Federal government people have been talking
Why should Bakare not be allowed to talk
All you need is shred his arguments. What are they afraid of
Is Bakare, a known and vocal critic, not better than silent plotters?

Rule of Law NOT, Rule of LORD by FORCE it now is
FRESH AIR

True.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by pharmow: 9:44am On Jan 16, 2012
GEJ now turned to a dictator. OMG I cant believe this. No man can be trusted. He shall regret this
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by ebonino: 9:45am On Jan 16, 2012
i am still at ojota right now and there are lots of soldiers here.i don't think they are asked to shoot if not they should have dispelled us.the number is not much though as most people are discouraged by the massive security presence
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 16, 2012
jamace:

Next election, if someone  with history of incompetence in government tells you he was once without shirt, of course you should know what to do. [b]Stop that propaganda. [/b]Soldiers are never sent to kill protesters. If you don't have the balls to protest, let those who have do it for you. Thank you.

I am not cut out for propaganda. I just think it does not make sense wasting lives of poor Nigerians on an issue where the president is a clear loser no matter how you analyse it. Even, if he reverts the price to N65 today, he is still a loser politically and what have you. If soldiers presence will mean more comportment, then it may well be a good thing. But this GEJ may as well send thugs there to foment trouble and under the guise of bringing a turbulent situation under control, innocent citizens are killed. It depends on how you look at it.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 16, 2012
If Nigerians agree to this price of 97 Naira, it will be business as usual! we must force GEJ to challenge corruption and not dump it on the heads of the Masses, How long are we going to suffer? We are last on their list of priorities!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by camry2008: 9:46am On Jan 16, 2012
engineerd:

@ Engineerd, first time of seeing a reasonable post frm u, keep it up, u are improving (Dont mean to Insult)
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by BigBenoski(m): 9:47am On Jan 16, 2012
Hmmnn, the ijaw youth council is seriously mobilizing in ph as we speak. The isaac boro park is swimming wt people, d president of iyc says its 'occupy ur resources'. 4rm his speech ds morning, the'l take 5days 2 'conscientize ol niger deltans' and den d mega protests will begin. The iyc says no going back on true federalism. Yea, b4 i almost 4got, he also said they are also mobilizing 2 go and pay tribute 2 ojukwu who he refered 2 as 'd 1st person who fought 4 true federalism' , says d igbos are already waiting 2 recieve them. Hmmn, are we looking at a SS/SE alliance here?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by BetaThings: 9:49am On Jan 16, 2012
If soldiers are shutting down protest by innocent, honest Nigerians
When will they shut down the activities of the Cabal
If fuel price is N97,we are still subsidising the cabal, are we not?

When will they face the "full wrath of the law"
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by honeric01(m): 9:50am On Jan 16, 2012
[size=18pt]Princess Adeyemi wrote: I confirm to you this morning (7:46am) that Pastor Tunde Bakare has been arrested on order of GEJ. This is bringing back the regime of Abacha. GEJ shld immediately release Pastor Bakare. Pls broadcast to all your social media contact. Pls call +2348023411451 for further confirmation.[/size]
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Alebros: 9:52am On Jan 16, 2012
65 naira or nothing talk bores me.U guys should give peace a chance.Some talk about a 100% increase in transportation despite this reduction.If we can fight the fg, why cant we also fight the touts of nurtw who increase transport disproportionately?Focus on fighting corruption and stop all these childish talks about 65 naira or nothing.I am ready for your insults, nairalanders!abi na insultland i go call am!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 9:53am On Jan 16, 2012
camry-2008:

@ Engineerd, first time of seeing a reasonable post frm u, keep it up, u are improving (Dont mean to Insult)
LOL, no offense taken,  abi? Young shall grow!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by BetaThings: 9:54am On Jan 16, 2012
Nigerian democracy
Majority having its say
Minority having its way!

FRESH AIR
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by walterman: 9:57am On Jan 16, 2012
We should be clamouring for change in this country,if the govt has come out with a programme to aid development which we can hold them accountable for and subsidy has to be cut to a certain level to aid this development i believe we need to give d FG our support.what labour has to be talking now is how to cut FEC & SENATE ALLOWANCES if we can have a minimum wage as poor as N18,000 as been a third world country our politicians should also have their pay, been rated as a third world country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Caption This Photo Of Osinbajo, Ambode And Ajimobi / Ruga: How Buhari Left Governor Lalong In Public Disgrace – Hon. Kaze / 13 Facts About The Late James Ocholi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.