Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. (2164 Views)

Audu Maikori: I'm Angry With Nigerian Youths / Why Are The Igbos Still Angry At Other Tribes Because Jonathan Lost? / Mugabe Still Angry At Nigeria Over Sahara TV Incident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by oduasolja: 1:21pm On Jan 17, 2012
You dragged this country through a bloody war , because of your desire to control the land and resources of other people. hundreds of thousands died on all sides.

and now you are trying to place the blame on others. When it was your perfidy and cunning that led us to war.

you talk about you were fighting for your freedom but at the same time you were trying to deprive so called minorities of the eastern region their freedom.

Well listen, even in a million years you will not convert minority land into your own.

That so called minority land will always remain minority land.

And if this country breaks up , they will have the same right as all to determine their destiny.
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Wily1Wily: 1:25pm On Jan 17, 2012
Are u a Gambia Goat?
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Valon4ego(m): 1:33pm On Jan 17, 2012
@oduosolija na by force be say you go post?
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Ndata(m): 2:10pm On Jan 17, 2012
If person quarrel with him girlfriend finish he will come online to vent his anger and frustration on Igbos.Wetin Igbos do una?Na waooo!
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 17, 2012
Don‘t mind the bastard. He wants to be popular on. I don‘t blame him, I blame his parents that phocked on a hot saturday afternoon to conceive the mofo.
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by ACM10: 4:03pm On Jan 17, 2012
This Yorubas obsession with igbos have approached the level of insanity
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by manny4life(m): 4:22pm On Jan 17, 2012
ACM10:

This Yorubas obsession with igbos have approached the level of insanity

This is no longer obsession but plain bigotry, SMH

This dude has opened at least three topics about Igbos at least within the last four months, If there aren't deleted, you can see some of them post. Like, the dude is having serious sleepless night about Igbos, don't die of High Blood Pressure cry cry cry
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Nchara: 4:40pm On Jan 17, 2012
manny4life:

This is no longer obsession but plain bigotry, SMH

This dude has opened at least three topics about Igbos at least within the last four months,  If there aren't deleted, you can see some of them post. Like, the dude is having serious sleepless night about Igbos, don't die of High Blood Pressure cry cry cry

Don't mind them. We are here to continue to hammer them as they twist facts. We will use attack and both defense modes to do so

Is it our fault that they failed to explain that it was because they are so poor they cannot pay the new fuel price that they are protesting and killing themselves? If they were humble enough to explain and beg us to help them, we could have considered them. Did you not read where their Gov said his people are so poor that they are practically untaxable?

Why we can’t tax Osun people, by Aregbesola
By Adesoji Adeniyi 21 hours 46 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Rauf Aregbesola Rauf Aregbesola

Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola at the weekend explained why his administration has refused to tax the people.

Aregbesola said his people are very poor and tax would be an unnecessary burden on them.

He spoke at the Banquet Hall of the State House in Osogbo, the state capital, during a dinner with representatives of various financial institutions.

The dinner was part of activities marking the one year anniversary of the Aregbesola administration in office.

The governor urged the institutions to assist in eradicating poverty in the state, assuring them of security and a business friendly environment.

He solicited for funds to finance capital projects and programmes that would improve the state’s economy.

Aregbesola said: “I am in Osun State to eradicate poverty. If you are talking about Unclad poverty, it is here in the state. We can not tax anybody here because we do not want them to die.

“Are we going to tax people waiting to die? We were able to save 13 million in the last year, not through tax, but by blocking leakages in the system. So you bankers have no choice than to help us deliver good governance to the people. We need your support to eradicate poverty.

“I am amused about the uninformed comments of our predecessor in office about the finances of the state. They are confused and cannot comprehend what we are doing because they are not financially literate.

“We have the vision, passion and action. I am here to change the fate of the black man through the various programmes and projects of our unusual and unconventional government.

“My predecessor left the state’s account in a bad state. We met a suffocating loan of N18.3 billion, which the Olagunsoye Oyinlola administration secured in an unprofessional manner.

“But within a year in office, my administration was able to increase the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the state from N300 million to N600 million and pay the loan through the access of N25 million bond from the bank, with the monthly servicing of less than N100 million, instead of the N800 million used to service the former loan.”

The governor said his administration does not wait for the federal allocation before it pays its workers, adding that any state waiting for it is doomed.

He said states rejected the October allocation because of President Goodluck Jonathan’s decision to deduct some amount from it for the creation of Sovereign Wealth.

Aregbesola said nobody has the right to deduct from any state’s allocation without the governor’s consent.

He advised state governments to exploit other avenues for generating revenue.

Commissioner for Finance, Economic Planning and Budgeting, Dr. wale Bolorunduro said the government plans to increase the IGR to N1 billion next year.

On incessant bank robberies in the state, Bolorunduro said the government has collaborated with security agencies to forestall a recurrence. He said the governor has ordered for five Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and established a security trust fund to combat the menace.

Many of the bank executives acknowledged the governor’s passion for development and promised to support his administration.

They include: Ayo Abina, Skye Bank; Elias Akenzua, Zenith Bank; Akinleye Ogunleye, Diamond Bank; and Boyin Oladokun, Unity Bank.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/27811-why-we-can%E2%80%99t-tax-osun-people%2C-by-aregbesola.html
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Nchara: 4:41pm On Jan 17, 2012
Emerging trend of social almajiri in Yorubaland
By Hakeem Jamiu

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his death has led to the proliferation of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work, In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-149827.0.html
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Okijajuju1(m): 4:50pm On Jan 17, 2012
Unu nwe kwa Ike!!

You can see that this is a wasted effort at gaining popularity. He wants to identify with Nairalanders and build a rep as an Igbo basher.

I would have loved to listen to the Nkpi, but the anumani has absolutely nothing to say.

Please lets ignore the Nama, he is a waste of s,emen and the product of a drunken one night stand with an Allen Avenue hooker.
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Yeske2(m): 6:41pm On Jan 17, 2012
Ignore
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by dustydee: 6:58pm On Jan 17, 2012
Nchara:

By Hakeem Jamiu

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of[b] almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country[/b]. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his death has led to the proliferation of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work,  In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.

Almajiri means student. Most of them end up being beggers because their parents don't cater for them neither do the imams whom they train under.
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by ezeagu(m): 9:09pm On Jan 17, 2012
[center][/center]
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by amaham(m): 9:32pm On Jan 17, 2012
slowpoke on the loose, poverty induced depression is really among the highest cause of madness in southwest nigeria
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Dede1(m): 10:13pm On Jan 17, 2012
oduasolja:

You dragged this country through a bloody war , because of your desire to control the land and resources of other people. hundreds of thousands died on all sides.

and now you are trying to place the blame on others. When it was your perfidy and cunning that led us to war.

you talk about you were fighting for your freedom but at the same time you were trying to deprive so called minorities of the eastern region their freedom.

Well listen, even in a million years you will not convert minority land into your own.

And if this country breaks up , they will have the same right as all to determine their destiny.

You are a professed dimwit. From the gibberish you posted, you seemed ridiculously uninformed swine. At this stage of your miserable live, you still display inherent laziness towards acquisition of knowledge.
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 17, 2012
see traits of cannibalism!
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Ngodigha1(m): 11:11pm On Jan 17, 2012
diluminati:

see traits of cannibalism!
Bingo, what do you mean?.
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by megawax8: 11:17pm On Jan 17, 2012
I tink u shuld take plenti water cos ur brain sure aint workin wel no more
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by sbeezy8: 11:23pm On Jan 17, 2012
Nchara:

By Hakeem Jamiu

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work, In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

they are like future OPC/Agberos/Ilayes boys- I support it
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by HighChief4(m): 11:30pm On Jan 17, 2012
Another rascal on the loose. St[i]u[/i]pid people
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by odumchi: 11:34pm On Jan 17, 2012
ezeagu:

[center][/center]

grin grin

Lmaoo I'm going to borrow this.
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by odumchi: 11:37pm On Jan 17, 2012
Please sit down. You've clearly shown that you know nothing about the Nigerian-Biafran war.

oduasolja:

you  talk about you were fighting for your freedom but at the same time you were trying to deprive so called minorities of the eastern region their freedom.

Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by Akanbiedu(m): 8:12am On Jan 18, 2012
sbeezy8:

they are like future OPC/Agberos/Ilayes boys- I support it

Same here.
Re: Why I'm Angry At The Igbos. by OneNaira6: 8:35am On Jan 18, 2012
Proud to be Igbo.

^^^^@OP

@rest of Yoruba commenting on this thread

(1) (Reply)

Gen Ike Nwachukwu Is He Still Growing In Politics Or What. / GEJ Was Only Joking When He Said He Won't Run In 2015 - Abati / Amaechi Is A Beneficiary Of The ‘missing’ $5 Billion ECA Fund-fg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.