Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,537 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. - Car Talk (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi B5 420-R: The Build. (69825 Views)

Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! / Official Audi B5 RS4 "Outlaw" Sedans Around The World Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 05, 2015
Update: 05th September 2015.

Pair of Motorsport mounts ordered. I may well do the same for the transmission mounts.

My previous V8 swaps utilised stock engine mounts, and a custom front mount to replace the usual snub mount. It's possible the Motorsport mounts will be stiff enough NOT to require the front torque mount, but we'll soon find out. These Motorsport mounts are adjustable, and can be rebuilt as required.

There are lots of options for the transmission mounts without spending big bucks, if you know what you're looking for, and where to look. I'm not talking lumps of Delrin and studding either.

My C5 RS6 combined oil cooler / filter housing and right hand engine bracket also turned up this morning, so this takes care of physically bolting the engine in place.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 06, 2015
While I'm waiting for my Motorsport engine mounts, and flywheel to turn up, there's not much I can do.

So I decided to clean up my RS6 lower brackets, and give them a couple of coats of Audi Aluminium silver.

As received post purchase:

After a session with a selection of rotary brass wire brushes, and a wash with boiling hot water, and dish washer liquid:

After a coat of primer, and 2 coats of Audi Aluminium Silver:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 06, 2015
I also have this:

C5 S6 / RS6 oil cooler and filter housing. Which some of you may know also incorporates the right hand upper engine bracket. I have swapped the D3 V8 left hand upper engine bracket for a C5 RS6 item, though the engine mount hole appears to be identical to that of the original D3 A8 one.

The D3 right hand upper bracketMAY well fit the lower bracket, meaning there MAY be no need to replace it with the C5 RS6 bracket / oil cooler / filter housing. The only way to know for sure will be by way of trial mounting.

Once my Motorsport mounts and flywheel arrive, and I've completed the machining to all ALL the D3 V8 engine mounting holes to bolt up to my 01E, I will mount the C5 RS6 subframe on a jig, then lower the engine and 01E transaxle onto it, bolting the gearbox mounts and the left hand engine mount in place. I will then see where I am with the right hand engine mount. If the discrepancy is minor, I'll do what needs to be done to get it to line up. If it's massive, then I'll simply swap the assembly with the C5 RS6 one.

My B5 30V subframe has been despatched, so that will be with me sometime this week. It will then be used as a jig to modify the C5 RS6 aluminium one to fit a B5.

I've got another busy weekend ahead of me.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 09, 2015
Update: 09th September, 2015,

I got home from work, and found some packages waiting.

My Motorsport mounts, V8 40V flywheel, aluminium coolant pipe are here. The steel B5 30V subframe I intend to use as a jig, to modify the aluminium C5 RS6 one, has also arrived, though I haven't ripped open the odd-shaped package yet.

I'm still expecting my B6 S4 exhaust manifolds, they should be with me sometime this week.

All I need to order now is a B5 S4 or B5 2.6 Quattro rear differential, and a B5 RS4 clutch. The Motorsport mounts and steel lightweight flywheel are so well made, it's kind of a shame they won't be visible once fitted, haha. This flywheel was worth the wait, as it does NOT require a spacer, and is super light. Much lighter than the B5 S4 item, or the 30V.

Pictures:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by tunergy(m): 10:15pm On Sep 09, 2015
Siena:
Update: 09th September, 2015,

I got home from work, and found some packages waiting.

My Motorsport mounts, V8 40V flywheel, aluminium coolant pipe are here. The steel B5 30V subframe I intend to use as a jig, to modify the aluminium C5 RS6 one, has also arrived, though I haven't ripped open the odd-shaped package yet.

I'm still expecting my B6 S4 exhaust manifolds, they should be with me sometime this week.

All I need to order now is a B5 S4 or B5 2.6 Quattro rear differential, and a B5 RS4 clutch. The Motorsport mounts and steel lightweight flywheel are so well made, it's kind of a shame they won't be visible once fitted, haha. This flywheel was worth the wait, as it does NOT require a spacer, and is super light. Much lighter than the B5 S4 item, or the 30V.

Pictures:

See as the parts fine,
If it is by this beauty alone, one should just keep the parts in a showcase, but its good these parts will form part of a masterpiece.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 09, 2015
tunergy:
See as the parts fine,
If it is by this beauty alone, one should just keep the parts in a showcase, but its good these parts will form part of a masterpiece.

Thanks bud. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Joebo(m): 2:59pm On Sep 11, 2015
Bros...All I'll say [typed] is "I hail" What is your average budget on projects like these? These things don't look cheap at all shocked
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 12, 2015
These parts dont come cheap at all but its worth it in the long run. cos they would last you years and with siena's expertise i wont be surprised if someone comes to buy the car when he is done just as he sold the apple green toyota hilux and the other audis. i have read all his audi threads from first to the last pages.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:06am On Sep 12, 2015
Joebo:
Bros...All I'll say [typed] is "I hail" What is your average budget on projects like these? These things don't look cheap at all shocked

Not cheap. wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:12am On Sep 12, 2015
Update: 10th September, 2015.

My B6 S4 exhaust manifolds turned up today.

As I stated previously, the D3 V8 headers don't match the B6 stainless steel de-cat pipes I purchased. Slightly wider stud spacing, and different method of sealing.

D3 A8 BFM V8 header-to-downpipe sealing flange. Note the conventional metal laminate gasket:

B6 S4 BBK V8 sealing flange. Note the integral domed end, to match the flared ends of the B6 stainless de-cats:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:29am On Sep 12, 2015
Though the B6 S4 headers are very similar in construction to those fitted to the D3 A8 V8, they are different internally. The D3 headers are geared more towards comfort, and quieter operation. The B6 S4 headers are sportier, which is one of the reasons the B6 S4 has a gruffer V8 rumble, the D3 4.2 V8 is almost silent in comparison.

B6 headers were in good shape, just needed some of the "treatment" to get the stainless steel gleaming. Damn A1 A2 German! Now everything on this engine's got to be either polished, or painted, haha.

B6 headers, as delivered. A bit discoloured, but at least being stainless, they polish up good:

I clamped the first header in my bench vice, and got to work with a selection of rotary brass wire wheels / cups:

The partially finished result of one header versus the untouched one. I say partially finished, as I'm picking up some stainless steel polish, to get them to the same mirror-like finish as my B5 S4 stainless exhaust system:

A close-up:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:48am On Sep 12, 2015
I have been looking at clutch options for my B5 420-R.

Whilst I don't want to install a clutch that will slip when driven in anger, I don't want a clutch combination that will make the car nasty and anarchy to drive, especially in traffic. Remember, this is a street car, at full weight. The heavier a car is, and the greater the torque the engine generates, the less compatible a race-style, or paddle clutch will be.

Paddle 6/8 PUK friction discs are grippy, but they're not kind to flywheels, it's not unusual to find a flywheel chewed up pretty bad after 30,000 miles of driving.

Heavy cars are not nice to drive either with lightened flywheels, or crankshaft pulleys, which is why though my flywheel is lighter than that of the B5 S4/RS4 or 30V, it still has a decent weight to it. Aluminium flywheels are bad news - not only due to the extreme light weight, but the very construction.

A steel insert against aluminium, secured with rivets. We're talking 2 different metals against each other, with different expansion rates. There have been quite a few cases with B5 RS4's, S4's and big-power 1.8T's, where there has been slight slip, enough to generate heat, causing the steel insert to warp, pulling the rivets out of the steel.

I have ordered a genuine B5 RS4 clutch from my local dealership. Like most modern Audi models, the clutch is NOT available from Audi as a kit, you purchase the parts individually. So pressure plate, friction disc and throw-out bearing.

The B5 RS4 runs the same components as the B5 S4, with the only difference being the pressure plate. Same construction in both cars, same profile. However, the B5 RS4's pressure plate has a stiffer diaphragm, meaning the clamping load is significantly higher. I'll have the lot with me by Tuesday. I can then complete the necessary modifications to allow the 01E transmission to mate properly to the D3 BFM V8 motor.

Just in case anyone's interested, the part number for the B5 RS4 clutch pressure plate is 078 141 123 G.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 12, 2015
I got my second B6 S4 header cleaned up today. Then gave both of them a polish with a proprietary metal polish. My favourite brand has always been Autosol, and was my weapon of choice here.

B6 S4 headers, de-cat downpipes and B5 S4 cat-back exhaust:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:17pm On Sep 16, 2015
Update: 16th September, 2015.

My clutch turned up today, together with a pair of exhaust manifold gadgets.

The beauty of Audi selling most current model clutches as individual parts rather than as kits, is you can pretty much mix and match. I went with a B5 RS4 clutch pressure plate, but opted for a friction disc for the B6 3.0 TDI Quattro, though it is listed for some other models. The TDI friction disc is marginally thicker than a stock B5 RS4 one, and more heavy duty.

The throw-out bearing will be with me tomorrow at some point.

Pictures!

With single-mass V8 flywheel. I'll measure the stack height once I purchase a set of bolts from Audi, and it's all bolted together:

The standard flywheel bolts from the A8 are obviously too long, so I need to get a new set. The ones for my 30V flywheel will work, but given the torque that needs to be applied when tightening these bolts, I would feel more comfortable knowing they were new, and unlikely to let go at 7000rpm.

Gaskets:

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by shamecurls(m): 1:59am On Sep 22, 2015
Jesus is LORD! I hail thee Siena
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 3:17pm On Sep 22, 2015
My low-coolant level warning came up on my DIS this morning. A check showed the coolant was indeed low, and I topped it up.

On my return from work, I noticed a dripping underneath the engine area. Too far forward for it to be the climate control drain, or water pump. Some of you guys may have guessed it - a bust radiator. After 15 years of service, it finally sprung a leak from the lower left-hand end tank.

One thing is certain - I'm NOT pulling the bumper to replace it with an aluminium one. Looks like my V8 swap will happen much sooner than I originally planned.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 22, 2015
I bolted my B5 RS4 clutch assembly to my bespoke V8 40V single-mass flywheel, so I could measure the stack height. Very comparable with that of my DTM car, which will be running a different set-up, an OEM European D2 S8 flywheel and clutch.

D2 S8 flywheel and clutch stack height, 85.0mm:

Bespoke V8 40V flywheel and B5 RS4 clutch stack height, 85.5mm:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 24, 2015
Update: 24th September, 2015.

I originally planned to retain my original 30V radiator, but it sprung a leak a few days ago. It's sealed for now, but do I truly want to cool a big V8 motor with a 15-year-old radiator?

I had previously purchased a B5 aluminium radiator for my 32V S8 motor, which was installed in my old 1995 B5 2.6 V6 12V Quattro, but that was adapted to that engine.

This time, with my 40V D3 BFM engine going into an '00 B5 2.8 30V Quattro, I intend to keep the coolant hoses in their stock positions, on the right-hand side. So I ended up pulling the trigger on another B5 aluminium radiator. Unfortunately, there's no B5 that has both upper and lower coolant hoses on the right.

I could flip the radiator, but then that messes up the lower mountings, as well as the integral brackets for the air conditioner condenser. I could also run aluminium radiators for the VW Golf MK5, or probably a B6 S4, but again, these solutions are pretty gash. I've gone for a different, and dare I say cleaner look.

I'm getting the radiator coolant inlet and outlet pipes cut off, and transferred to the right-hand end tank. The holes left will then have aluminium discs welded in place. This arrangement will keep the original coolant hoses of the D3 40V stock, for a more OEM look.

I should have the radiator with me sometime next week.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:49pm On Sep 26, 2015
Update: 26th September, 2015.

A big box arrived today, via DHL:

Containing my aluminium radiator. Very well packaged, it's actually a branded item, FENIX. The build quality is streets ahead of the one I purchased for my 32V, and is reflected in the price, 4 times more expensive. The one I purchased previously is a Chinese-made item.

As I previously posted, I am getting the inlet / outlet connections moved to the right hand side, to match the D3 V8 40V hoses. The plan was to have the original connections cut off, circular aluminium discs welded over the redundant holes, then get the stubs welded into the right hand end tank.

Looking closely at the radiator, I have decided to just cut down the inlet and outlet connectors, leaving a generous stub. My reasoning is simple - aluminium welds are fairly substantial, so going with a flush cut may not be the best solution. This means the stubs may be too short to install on the opposite end tank. I opted to order a new pair of aluminium inlet and outlet connectors, in the same size. These will be with me sometime next week.

Radiator pictures. The radiator manufacturer actually supplied a catalogue, listing their other products. They also produce heater cores, intercoolers, condensers and lil coolers:

32mm aluminium inlet and outlet connectors:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 31, 2015
Update: 31st October, 2015.

I pulled the D3 A8 wiring harness of my V8 motor this arvo.

It is possible to use the D3 harness in a B5, but it'll take a lot of work. Getting a VSS signal into the ECU is just one of the obstacles to overcome.

I purchased a 2001 C5 S6 engine harness, which I am currently splicing to the stock D3 engine harness. I'm still working on bank 1, soldering and heat shrinking. I will then complete the lot with the proper black cloth tape, keeping the OEM look.

Audi A8 D3 4.2 V8 40V engine harness:

Audi S6 C5 4.2 V8 40V engine harness:

A8 D3 4.2 V8 40V. Hybrid engine harness build in progress:

Tomorrow I should have the hybrid wiring harness all buttoned up, then I can torque down the flywheel, fit the clutch and bolt the 01E transmission to the motor.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Piyke: 3:19pm On Nov 04, 2015
Siena:
Update: 31st October, 2015.

I pulled the D3 A8 wiring harness of my V8 motor this arvo.

It is possible to use the D3 harness in a B5, but it'll take a lot of work. Getting a VSS signal into the ECU is just one of the obstacles to overcome.

I purchased a 2001 C5 S6 engine harness, which I am currently splicing to the stock D3 engine harness. I'm still working on bank 1, soldering and heat shrinking. I will then complete the lot with the proper black cloth tape, keeping the OEM look.

Audi A8 D3 4.2 V8 40V engine harness:

Audi S6 C5 4.2 V8 40V engine harness:

A8 D3 4.2 V8 40V. Hybrid engine harness build in progress:

Tomorrow I should have the hybrid wiring harness all buttoned up, then I can torque down the flywheel, fit the clutch and bolt the 01E transmission to the motor.

Men! Siena. The contrast of the blue valve covers and red ignition coils just looks wicked!
Pretty stuff!
Guess you'll spend quite sometime admiring them whenever you pop the hood.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:35am On Nov 15, 2015
Piyke:

Men! Siena. The contrast of the blue valve covers and red ignition coils just looks wicked!
Pretty stuff!
Guess you'll spend quite sometime admiring them whenever you pop the hood.

Thanks bro. The contrast is less in reality. That photograph was taken in poor light, and the flash actually makes the blue look darker than it really is.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 2:49am On Nov 15, 2015
Update: 14th November, 2015.

I finally completed my hybrid Motronic ME7.1.1 wiring harness. Actually it had been completed for a while, I just had to fit it to the BFM V8 motor. It should now at least plug into my 2000 B5 2.8 Quattro. The original BFM harness would not.

I have also fitted the B6 S4 (BBK) exhaust headers, as well as one of the aluminium billet Motorsport engine mounts. Time allowing, I should install the clutch, and bolt the BFM V8 to the 01E 6-speed manual.

Some pictures:

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:37pm On Nov 15, 2015
Flywheel and clutch installed, and torqued to spec.

Sheesh! You better be pretty healthy, with a good dose of spinach before installing the flywheel. The 180 degree angle tightening you need to apply AFTER the initial torque sequence is really taxing, even if it's done in 2 steps of 90 degrees. At one point, I thought I was gonna bust the flywheel bolts.

Good reason to ALWAYS use new bolts.

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Isiri: 6:06am On Nov 16, 2015
@_Siena...I was told to contact by Sultan..if u can help me to get a clutch pedal for Chevrolet spark 2013 manual car at http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com. it over 2 weeks had been searching for this before sultan help me to get where I can buy it online.. u can check my thread here to know what I wanted to buy.and pls accept my bbm request. got ur pin from ur page here. await ur reply asap.thanks sir
attached is the pic of what I'm looking for.

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 16, 2015
Isiri, I haven't used BBM for quite a while now. I've migrated over to Whatsapp. Are you on Whatsapp?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Isiri: 11:08pm On Nov 16, 2015
Siena:
Isiri, I haven't used BBM for quite a while now. I've migrated over to Whatsapp. Are you on Whatsapp?

yes I'm on WhatsApp ...08023500268
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Isiri: 11:18pm On Nov 16, 2015
Siena:

yes... 08023500268
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by XerXesNG(m): 11:20am On Nov 17, 2015
Siena:
Flywheel and clutch installed, and torqued to spec.

Sheesh! You better be pretty healthy, with a good dose of spinach before installing the flywheel. The 180 degree angle tightening you need to apply AFTER the initial torque sequence is really taxing, even if it's done in 2 steps of 90 degrees. At one point, I thought I was gonna bust the flywheel bolts.

Good reason to ALWAYS use new bolts.

Hehe...
More built muscles for you.

Bolt on the 01E 6spd next?

Audis have really good gearing lever spacing.
I mean the space between position 1 & 3 & 5, 2 & 4 & 6 on the lever.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 11:50pm On Nov 19, 2015
So I put my 2.8 V6 30V up for sale, whilst it was still in the car (still is). 4 days later, it sold, for more than I paid for my car.

The engine is destined for a Ferrari Dino kit car, with an air cooled Volkswagen Beetle chassis, designed to accept a mid-mounted Audi V6 30V. Oddly, it's a girl's project, she purchased the engine and harness, she'll be running the standard Motronic ME7.1. Now, that's a project I'll be following.

Of course, this now means I've got to pull the motor and trans, so this weekend, I'll be putting my Pelican Blue B5 into my garage, and getting some work done. It's been a while since I drove a B5 V8, I can't wait to complete this swap, and turn the key for the first time.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Nov 21, 2015
Well done sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL / Artega Gt, A Car I Saw Today At School, I Am Speechless( Veiw Pic / Have You Seen This Innoson IVM 6857 Bus Before? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.