Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,724 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. - Car Talk (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Audi B5 420-R: The Build. (69908 Views)

Audi B5 420-R DTM: The Build / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! / Official Audi B5 RS4 "Outlaw" Sedans Around The World Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by mili3kid(m): 12:19am On Apr 08, 2016
wow!!! m soooo blown away!!! now I see d reason why U love ur audis
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Apr 28, 2016
Due to incompatibility issues between my ECU and harness (ME7.1. versus ME7.1.1) my car ran like ass, worse when warm. I removed the harness, originally to re-pin the connectors, but with so much different, it's not worth the time. It's so much easier to build a new harness from scratch. I have hacked up the harness, retaining just the connectors.

Time to transfer measurements across to my wall nail board. [wink]

I picked up reels of wire in assorted colours and gauge, as well as a bag of assorted VAG harness terminals. I've got rolls of cloth tape already, so it'll all be well wrapped up.

I could have simply replaced the ECU with an ME7.1 unit to match the harness, but I want to retain wideband. On another note, I managed to get hold of a genuine S8 manual ME7.1.1 ECU, so no coding will be required. I just couldn't pass it up at the price the seller was asking for it.

For any interested parties, I have put together the C5 4.2 / S6 ECU pin-outs in chart form, for both the ME7.1 and 7.1.1 variants.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/701197-Audi-C5-A6-S6-4-2-V8-40V-ECU-Pin-Outs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 28, 2016
The annual Vehicle Excise Duty on my B5 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro Sport expires on the 30th. I don't really want to renew it, as it's going to be taking the place of my Pelican Blue car - having a D2 S8 motor shoved in, while having the interior gutted.

Back to B5 420-R.

I need to get the immobiliser coded to my keys, as opposed to being deleted. I want to be able to soft code the cluster, which would not be possible if it doesn't get an immobiliser authorisation. It will store it as a code.

I don't like the way the power steering resovoir area is exposed. Sure, it's got a black surround, but still, it could be better. I ordered a full-size cover, which will be delivered sometime tomorrow. I also feel Audi could have done a lot better with their headlamp and lock carrier mounting hardware. They are prone to corrosion.

I have also ordered some stainless steel bolts in the same profile (domed head torx) with the correct washers, to replace Audi's nasties. Looks like this car's going to be ready just in time for summer.

A brand new OEM coolant reservoir makes all the difference too:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by mili3kid(m): 10:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
Siena:
The annual Vehicle Excise Duty on my B5 2.5 TDI V6 Quattro Sport expires on the 30th. I don't really want to renew it, as it's going to be taking the place of my Pelican Blue car - having a D2 S8 motor shoved in, while having the interior gutted.

Back to B5 420-R.

I need to get the immobiliser coded to my keys, as opposed to being deleted. I want to be able to soft code the cluster, which would not be possible if it doesn't get an immobiliser authorisation. It will store it as a code.

I don't like the way the power steering resovoir area is exposed. Sure, it's got a black surround, but still, it could be better. I ordered a full-size cover, which will be delivered sometime tomorrow. I also feel Audi could have done a lot better with their headlamp and lock carrier mounting hardware. They are prone to corrosion.

I have also ordered some stainless steel bolts in the same profile (domed head torx) with the correct washers, to replace Audi's nasties. Looks like this car's going to be ready just in time for summer.

A brand new OEM coolant reservoir makes all the difference too:

an amazing job U're doing there boss... i salute ur dedication... a litu off topic now, pls I requested to be added to d whatsapp group u created bt noffin yet. just wanted to ask if it still exists or not... Incase it does pls kindly add +2347062222998.... grateful
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:45pm On Apr 28, 2016
Added bro.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by mili3kid(m): 10:49pm On Apr 28, 2016
Siena:
Added bro.
God bless boss..
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 29, 2016
My left-hand side engine bay cover arrived this morning:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by lourash(m): 2:00pm On Apr 29, 2016
God bless Siena......
my dream is for Siena to modify a car for me

I guess I need to hustle more..
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Apr 29, 2016
Mr Siena did you by any chance study mechanical engineering or how did you become the car guru that you are today?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 29, 2016
dumo1:
Mr Siena did you by any chance study mechanical engineering or how did you become the car guru that you are today?

I majored in Mechanical Engineering, though what I currently do, I picked up more as an enthusiast, who happens to love cars.

I can remember my dissertation all those years ago, you can guess what it was all about. wink

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 29, 2016
Manual D2 S8 ECU installed, of course, immobiliser is active, so the engine fires up for a couple of seconds, then shuts down. New ECU will be matched to the instrument cluster tomorrow.

I replace the rusty headlamp retaining bolts and washers with fresh stainless versions, gave the lock carrier the same treatment. I ordered a brand new lock assembly, which was delivered today by Audi. I'll tackle that replacement over the weekend.

I also need to order the appropriate lock carrier stickers. I hacked mine about way too much, it was a mess. I ordered and modified a replacement, which came off a 2001 1.9 TDI, so it has the wrong label attached. I also intend to order the A8 D3 4.2 specific sticker, which usually sits besides the one with the electric fan caution.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 29, 2016
New stainless steel headlamp and lock carrier retaining bolts, and washers:

This sticker's got to be replaced. Why do B5 hood lock assemblies rust so bad? This one's pretty crusty:

OEM replacement hood lock assembly:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Joebo(m): 1:27am On Apr 30, 2016
Boss...hats off to you.....I now know where to catch you off here http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/656380-B5-420-R-DTM-The-Build wink
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:47am On May 01, 2016

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 02, 2016
I replaced the crusty hood latch, and discovered the latches for I4 and V6 cars are different, they also differ between aircon and non-aircon.

For the first time in 6 months, the car is on the driveway, and I hosed down, and washed off months of dust. She looks pretty good. All that's left is to have the new S8 manual ECU matched to my instrument cluster, connect the 3 fans and coolant pipes, replace bumper.

And of course, get the aircon charged up, and the car tested and taxed.

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Lexusgs430: 4:33pm On May 02, 2016
Siena, any plans to debadge the rear? Don't let an innocent 2.8 V6 attempt a racing challenge with your 4.2 V8. And end up picking car parts on the hard shoulder!!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 02, 2016
Lexusgs430:
Siena, any plans to debadge the rear? Don't let an innocent 2.8 V6 attempt a racing challenge with your 4.2 V8. And end up picking car parts on the hard shoulder!!!!!

Lol! No plans to debadge, but ....... wink

2 Likes

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Lexusgs430: 3:16am On May 03, 2016
Siena:

Lol! No plans to debdge, but ....... wink
Now that is project is almost over, are you selling her or keeping him? If you were selling, what price tag would place on her/his head?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:32am On May 03, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Now that is project is almost over, are you selling her or keeping him?
If you were selling, what price tag would place on her/his head?

The car isn't for sale. I've never modified cars mechanically with the thought of selling in mind. Standard cars, probably.

Besides, Pelican Blue is rare, as it was one of Audi's special order paints on selected models.

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Lexusgs430: 8:05am On May 03, 2016
Siena:

The car isn't for sale. I've never modified cars mechanically with the thought of selling in mind. Standard cars, probably.

Besides, Pelican Blue is rare, as it was one of Audi's special order paints on selected models.

The time, blood, craftsmanship, skills, emotions, finances etc etc etc, is probably priceless!!!
Would it be insured has an A4 or S8's modified younger brother? Would taxation be any different?
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:39am On May 03, 2016
Lexusgs430:

The time, blood, craftsmanship, skills, emotions, finances etc etc etc, is probably priceless!!!
Would it be insured has an A4 or S8's modified younger brother? Would taxation be any different?

I use brokers that cater for modified cars, it will be insured as an Audi A4 4.2 V8 Quattro.

Taxation class does not change.

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 10:47pm On May 04, 2016
Tomorrow, the radiator will have the angle on the top outlet altered. I will then fit the 12" curved-blade inner (puller) fan, then fit the radiator for good, with the top retainers in place.

I am running an OEM B5 S4 pusher fan in front of the radiator, with a 10" 120W curved-blade slimline beside it. The OEM S4 pusher, and the inner puller are being controlled by a B5 RS4 harness and matching controller. I will run the front 10" pusher independently.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by mili3kid(m): 11:25pm On May 04, 2016
Siena:
Tomorrow, the radiator will have the angle on the top outlet altered. I will then fit the 12" curved-blade inner (puller) fan, then fit the radiator for good, with the top retainers in place.

I am running an OEM B5 S4 pusher fan in front of the radiator, with a 10" 120W curved-blade slimline beside it. The OEM S4 pusher, and the inner puller are being controlled by a B5 RS4 harness and matching controller. I will run the front 10" pusher independently.
written in English yet feels like Arabic ....hihihihi ... welldone bro
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 9:41pm On May 05, 2016
My radiator is done, no more clearance issues.

But more importantly, the car now runs the way it should. I had the immobiliser coded with VCDS. This meant pairing the new S8 manual ECU with my instrument cluster (after extracting the SKC / PIN).

I could have gone with a simple immobiliser defeat, the issues with this are a flashing immo warning. This will be stored in the cluster as a DTC, which will certainly prevent any sort of future coding. I'm stoked!

I'll post a quick video later.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by mili3kid(m): 10:37pm On May 05, 2016
Siena:
My radiator is done, no more clearance issues.

But more importantly, the car now runs the way it should. I had the immobiliser coded with VCDS. This meant pairing the new S8 manual ECU with my instrument cluster (after extracting the SKC / PIN).

I could have gone with a simple immobiliser defeat, the issues with this are a flashing immo warning. This will be stored in the cluster as a DTC, which will certainly prevent any sort of future coding. I'm stoked!

I'll post a quick video later.
supercool... expecting the video
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 8:47am On May 06, 2016
Thanks bud!

It's been one hell of a journey. To my knowledge, there is no other B5 A4 of any year, with a BFM V8 engine swap. It's been more Research & Development, a journey of discovery. Hopefully by next week, I can book the car in to get it tested, and back on the road.

My B5 A4 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro Sport is next. As the motor is up for sale, as soon as it's paid for, stripping of the car will begin.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by billy187(m): 1:07pm On May 06, 2016
Siena:

Lol! No plans to debdge, but ....... wink

This is the most evil phrase I've read on Nairaland all day - and I'm just from the politics section!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 12:46pm On May 07, 2016
Update: 7th May, 2016:

After listening to the Audi A8 D3 power steering vane pump whining and groaning, and frothing the fluid, I was convinced it was not compatible with the B5 A4's rack, and I was quite prepared to put the front end in service position, and replace the pump.

I decided to give it another bleed this morning, and after about 2 minutes of loc to lock action, it gave a load gurgle, spat up a bit of fluid, then became quiet as it was in my D3 A8. I made an extension to the fluid reservoir, so I could put in more than the usual amount of fluid, without losing any. It worked, so that's all well.

I tested the alternator output with a digital multimeter, and it's dead. Hopefully, I'll be able to replace the combined voltage regulator and brush assembly with the alternator in situ, otherwise, service position calls.

I have been running the engine with the C5 RS6 oil cooler sandwich plate inlet and outlet take offs bridged with a loop of rubber hose. It came off while I was getting to grips with a nice, quiet PAS pump, so I shut the motor off pretty quick. I might as well do an oil change, so I ordered a genuine C5 RS6 oil filter, and Audi's Quantum Longlife Fully Synthetic oil. The oil has been delivered, though the filter won't be with me until Tuesday.

I also purchased some genuine Audi G13 concentrate coolant, though I have been running the motor with plain water. I would be pretty narked if I had to lose the expensive stuff, if the front end had to go into service position. The cooling system will be filled up and bled, once I'm satisfied the alternator doesn't need to be pulled.

I'm a bit of a stickler for OEM, and the incorrect Turbo Diesel sticker on the lock carrier bugged me. I got the part number for the sticker that would have been on the D3 A8, ordered it, and it was delivered. I removed the incorrect one, and carefully applied the correct one.
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:45pm On May 07, 2016
Up on axle stands, just after I bled the power steering. I'll have a shot at replacing the alternator voltage regulator while it's in this position.

Power steering fluid, Audi G13, Audi Quantum Fully Synthetic and the defunct Turbo Diesel sticker from the lock carrier:

Much happier with the correct sticker:

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 07, 2016
A quick teaser. No more whining, groaning power steering pump. Note method used in extending the fluid reservoir capacity during the bleeding process, highly recommended to prevent fluid loss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljn7KXl_C9E

1 Like

Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by ataspray(m): 6:39pm On May 07, 2016
Siena:
[color=Blue]Up on axle stands, just after I bled the power steering. I'll have a shot at replacing the alternator voltage regulator while it's in this position.

Much happier with the correct sticker:
that plant/tree/shrub/flower is really beautiful!
Re: Audi B5 420-R: The Build. by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 07, 2016
ataspray:

that plant/tree/shrub/flower is really beautiful!

I'm pleased for you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Have You Seen This Innoson IVM 6857 Bus Before? (photos) / Mercedes-Benz C300 Used In Selling Local Herbs In Kaduna (Photos, Video) / The Toyota Land Cruiser That Is Faster Than A Lamborghini

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.