Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit (1505 Views)

Buhari, Obama, Other World Leaders In Group Pics At The Nuclear Security Summit / Buhari To Attend Nuclear Security Summit In Washington / Photonews: President Jonathan At AU Peace & Security Summit In Nairobi, Kenya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by Superego: 9:05pm On Jan 30, 2012
Bet you guys did not know this. Yup, it happened while we were sleeping.

[B][SIZE=4]The Middle Belt holds Nigeria together[/SIZE][/B]

http://www.newsrescue.com/2012/01/the-middle-belt-holds-nigeria-together/

[B][SIZE=2]Middle Belt ‘Security Summit’ held January 19th, 2012[/SIZE][/B]

[B]Middle Belt ‘Security Summit’ held January 19th, 2012[/B]

The hidden significance, role and character of the Middle Belt can best be illustrated with this report on a January security summit. According to AllAfrica andDaily Trust (Abuja):

So many things are happening at the same time in Nigeria. But did you notice that a ‘Middle Belt Security Summit’ was held on Thursday last week? It was addressed by a specially invited Israeli security expert who undertook that his country would provide the Middle Belt with security support.

Yet neither the Minister of Foreign Affairs nor the security agencies have called the Israeli envoy or the Israeli government to order, to the effect that there is no other sovereign country within the borders of Nigeria that organises its own security and diplomacy. Again, Nigeria’s challenged government has not bothered to call the organisers of that conference to order either. And it was such a gathering of the Middle Belt who-is-who, men and women. The only missing notables were General Yakubu Gowon, General Yakubu Danjuma and Senate President David Mark. Otherwise it was a Jerry Gana and Solomon Lar field day, liberally showcased by the NTA, at prime viewing time.

Pray, if Gani Adams or Frederick Faseun had gathered the Yoruba in a similar manner, would the Federal Government have kept quiet? Wouldn’t Tinubu or some other fall guy or both have been in the can by now, accused of treason? Why, then, are MASSOB and its Uwazurike being harassed?

What would be the reaction of the government if ACF were to hold a “Security Summit” (not conference on security or a peace conference) to which it invited Iran or an Iranian to help it secure the region? It is curious that the equally challenged Nigerian media have gone quiet on this.
[SIZE=3]
[B]Highlights from Middle Belt Security Summit[/B][/SIZE]
[B]
We gathered you invited the Israelis to help with the security situation in the country?[/B]

It’s not quite correct to say we invited the Israelis. We had three sub-teams and we looked for experts who could give us well informed lecture on those things. So, we invited General Gwai who is from Kaduna State, a former chief of defence staff and adviser to United Nations on defence. We invited General Ibrahim Sabo, a Muslim from Bauchi State and a former director of military intelligence. We invited a gentle man who works in the Israeli Embassy in Nigeria, who is an expert in counter – terrorism. He was specifically invited to give lecture on what a nation that is under siege like Nigeria needs to do and throughout his lecture he didn’t address the Middle-Belt, he addressed Nigeria.

[B] Those saying the country will break up in 2015, 2030 have no understanding of who we are as a people. Those of us from the Middle Belt, our position for now is that we know that the far north has not been friendly to us and have never  been interested in our well-being. Whenever  we talk about north the far north is referring to the far north and themselves only. They want us to put our eggs in the same basket but they will eat the eggs. So, if Nigeria is going to break we are not going with the far north and where will you begin to draw the boundary?[/B]

[B]The truth is let’s stop deluding ourselves about anybody creating one small empire somewhere out of this Nigeria. God brought us together and it was not by accident. We only need to work out our differences and build trust so that this country can fulfil its destiny. I still believe that a northern Nigeria where every Muslim child is well educated, every Christian  child is well educated and the government is accountable and well focused will produce prosperity comparable to Dubai, and with time the country will become an example of how a pluralistic society can co-exist on the basis of tolerance and mutual respect.
[/B]

[B]What is your advice to government  for  lasting solution to the security challenge?[/B]

We need continuous engagement and dialogue. But this blanket call for sovereign national conference is just lazy thinking because sovereign or no sovereign, we have had so many conferences . I was a delegate to the 2005 Political Reform Conference. We thought we had proffered the answers to all the problems of Nigeria. Everyone said this was the best thing that has happened to this country. What came out of it? That was not the first. It will not be the last.

, It has to be a continuous process and that way we enrich the ideas that are in the market place. For the government specifically: fight corruption, build infrastructure and empower the youth.

, If we don’t drop our hypocrisy and stop pretending that these people are faceless, we will roast in this for long and the overall consequences is that Nigeria will be adversely affected but northern Nigeria will be devastated economically and socially. So, northerners should see it as a northern problem before they even see it as a Nigerian problem. If our governors start the process of dialogue, what makes you think the federal government will not key into it?

source
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by Valon4ego(m): 9:14pm On Jan 30, 2012
[color="red"]links please[/color]
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by seenoevil1: 9:17pm On Jan 30, 2012
which one be sey middle belt holds Nigeria together ? abi make we hear word . everybody carry your own cross and OCCUPY YOUR RESOURCES . sovereign national conference 2012 is on the way.
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by edoyad(m): 9:29pm On Jan 30, 2012
Hahaha grin, you wouldn't believe the fury that some abokis started exhibiting after they heard of a security summit organised by some middlebelters with the Israelis being present. Honestly one guy equated it with treason on my office.
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by Acidosis(m): 10:34pm On Jan 30, 2012
this is a good one.
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by PointB: 10:54pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nice one from middle belt! More of this.
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by ASOROCKb(m): 3:00am On Jan 31, 2012
@op, you said that God made nigeria to be killing themselfs, huh? Pls, remove God from one nigeria and look for solution to the one nigeria=Disintegration
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by Superego: 3:02am On Jan 31, 2012
Nigerians kill themselves because of a few bad leaders. Let us focus our energy on dealing with the real enemy. The Cabal.
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by Ojiofor: 3:26am On Jan 31, 2012
Ah superEgo u don carry ur wahala reach hia? Every single death of an innocent citizens by your brothers (boko animal) diminishes one Nigeria concept.Sorry u cant force anybody to live in ur Talibanized Afghanistan.
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by NegroNtns(m): 3:44am On Jan 31, 2012
People sit at their computer and use publishing applications that make fabricated type ups look authentic as if its authoritative news.

This is nothing but someone trying to elevate middle belt to significance through news fabrication and make beliefs.
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by Superego: 3:59am On Jan 31, 2012
Denying the reality never makes our desired reality become real.

As Babangida said, it is only an illusion fed Nigeria for the last 3 years by the western media, that Nigeria is Muslim North, Christian South. There is nothing further from the truth than this.

Terror has neither a home up Boko North
nor down MEND and Helen Ukpabio and Kidnapping South.

The leader of the Southern rebellion, Asari Dokubo as the article mentioned is actually a Muslim, who selected 'Jihad' as his name.

I have asked many to draw the line of division, but no one has yet been able to. A separation will be bloody, last several decades, never be complete and result in poverty and destruction on all of 15- 521 resulting territories. And the result will simply be US-Israel exploitation and draining of resource, till the pieces are left cold, high and dry.

Can someone here on Nairaland draw the line of division for me?
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by Lasinoh: 4:01am On Jan 31, 2012
I hope their idea of 'security briefing' does not involve recruiting Christians to start roasting other religious and ethnic sects like bazaar bushmeats o!
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by emmke(m): 6:05am On Jan 31, 2012
^^why are u like this. Quit using the act of a few boys to judge an entire people. U are truely a very very bias person. No time in the history has the middle belt attacked anyone without being deeply provoked. They have always been taken for granted and now they've decided enough is enough. In plateau, a certain time, an entire family of 8 was exterminated by fulani herdsmen in cold blood in their home. I've never heard u condemn it. U really dont know how this people have suffered, just for being hospitable and accommodating. I'm writing u cos i believe the human in u will reason and give a people that have so suffered for no fault of their's a break. If i haven't communicated, then pls ride on with the hate.
Re: Middle Belt Holds Nigeria Security Summit by 9javoice1(m): 8:09am On Jan 31, 2012
Good development:

we need more of this from the middle beltan.

later we shall know who is who. the SE/SS is very happy on this developement.

but My Hausa friend was very angry as he read this but wat shock me so much is what my Yoruba friend said
as we are discusing it "let they minus our yoruba brothers from kwara and kogi from this nonsense".
i asked him "did u for one like this slavery we are all pasing tru" or are u happy bcus yorubas has some good ground now?

anyway i wont continue cus his intention and intention of some yorubas suprises me.

all the same HUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY to Middlebeltans.welcome to our world.

(1) (Reply)

Doctors' Strike In Lagos State: Chronicle Of Events / The Financial Implications Of Managing The N43,000 Idps In Delta State. / Wierd: Giant Bat Upto The Height Of A Man Found In Peru... PHOTO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.