Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,052 members, 7,821,625 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? (30195 Views)

Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour / Why are Nigerian so Abusive and Insulting / Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Uche2nna(m): 11:32pm On Oct 15, 2007
omoge:

i think some of them are worst off in real life. if they are insult you while hiding behind the computer, pray you don't meet them in real life o.

Exactly!!!!!

Some of them argue that it is just an online persona. I dont buy that. If cussing comes naturally to you while holding a conversation online, then U have the tendency to cuss people out in real life (the only reason that might hold u back is the consequences). And believe me, I have seen some natural born cussers on nairaland. These guys will cuss U out just for the sake of cussing. They do prolly cuss without provocation
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Uche2nna(m): 11:33pm On Oct 15, 2007
@ Debo

LMAO
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Kobojunkie: 11:33pm On Oct 15, 2007
omoge:

Nna, na so we see am ooo, na so we go take am grin

LAUGHING SO HARD NOW!!!

I am of the mind that people who resort to throwing insults at others are usually people who were raised by barbarians, have serious low self esteem and have a nagging need to control the world or they throw a tantrum when they can't. Simple !! Engaging such is simply encouraging them without allowing them time alone with their minds.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 15, 2007
Uche2nna:

Some of them argue that it is just an online persona.

Perhaps they are right. Most of those who make so much noise and throw up mud online most often have very poor human relations skills, have a low self esteem and most likely have very few friends.

NL makes up for the inadequacies in their lives.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Uche2nna(m): 11:38pm On Oct 15, 2007
Probably.

Either way, they still have issues.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by whatnext: 12:00am On Oct 16, 2007
I hope TOH, Jackal are reading this. Change 4 d better!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by iykrion(m): 12:06am On Oct 16, 2007
Compatriots,

Insults is not intrinsic in Nigerians. @Ifeanyi212 low level of education does not guarantee scruples. @Denex it is erronous to believe that conniption is a trait of Nigerians at home.

Nigerians are decent people who believe that mutual respect is a sine qua non for peaceful co-existence. It's just that, sometimes we allow our emotions to rule us. Having said this, we must also understand that sometimes, people on Nairaland post pixilated comments, which ordinarily shouldn't give any cause for alarm. I think we should always give room for people's facetious remarks.

We cannot forget in a hurry how the traditional Hausas venerate one another, is it the Yorubas, the Igbos and host of others? Scruples in an integral part of our culture.

Finally, ignoring an apparent insulting/disrespectful reply will do us a lot of good.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Kobojunkie: 12:28am On Oct 16, 2007
whatnext:

I hope TOH, Jackal are reading this. Change 4 d better!!!

You just had to go name them, didn't you grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by debosky(m): 12:42am On Oct 16, 2007
Jackal's insults are restricted only to the sports threads, those of us who converse with him regularly know its just plain fun with no ill intended.

its just part of the friendly ribbing that is a constant feature of the sports section.

TOH can sometimes be abrasive in nature, but thats because people rub her the wrong way. The key is learning how to relate properly with her and you'll have her purring like a kitten wink

others like ayefele/star need serious psychological attention, I cannot fathom any rational cause behind his actions.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by naira4doll(m): 1:11am On Oct 16, 2007
good point, hope we change but i enjoyed the funny posts
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Kobojunkie: 1:13am On Oct 16, 2007
debosky:

Jackal's insults are restricted only to the sports threads, those of us who converse with him regularly know its just plain fun with no ill intended.

its just part of the friendly ribbing that is a constant feature of the sports section.

TOH can sometimes be abrasive in nature, but thats because people rub her the wrong way. The key is learning how to relate properly with her and you'll have her purring like a kitten wink

others like ayefele/star need serious psychological attention, I cannot fathom any rational cause behind his actions.

I don't give a hoot who it is. If a person does not respect me enough to know not to call me names or throw insults my way?? I would rather forego relating in any way with such human beings. I really have a zero tolerance for such attitude. I would rather not have friends at all than to have friends who insult me in any way, even if they claim it is for jokes. I myself can not STAND such people. If I were to find myself in the same room with the same people, If they expect me to have to deal with their rotten manners, they should be willing to deal with me and my abrasive reaction to their rotten mouths.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nobody: 1:31am On Oct 16, 2007
Jackal's posts are not only annoying but very immature. Not everyone is used too his abberant use of insultive words.
i probably am on someone's list of insulting posters but you just cant help it especially when u're dealing with wooden heads.

TOH is actually very nice, perhaps those moaning are only expressing the pain of spurned overtures.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by debosky(m): 1:56am On Oct 16, 2007
well I have no issues personally with Jackal, he is straight up and very clear about his nature/intentions, and the insults are part of the sports banter we have. Its not really a matter of respect in this case, but the chosen mode of conversation. I have no apologies on his behalf and I'm sure he has none either. Not everyone was meant to get along nice and chummy; he doesn't go looking for fights on other threads because we keep it in house in sports. Besides, Jackal is not one to shy away from word jousting, he takes it in good spirits too so there is no issue in that regard wink

it is a free world after all, if you feel someone's abusive or wordy mode of communication is not amenable to you, simply avoid the person. There are many people I will not even bother with because it is pointless, the ones I choose to understand and relate too are fine by me.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nobody: 1:58am On Oct 16, 2007
I dont have any personal issues with Jackal either and i understand its his own unique was of relating to others. But i cant count how many times merely looking at some of his posts has completely put me off participatiing in some sports threads.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by mrsquib(m): 3:08am On Oct 16, 2007
Being abusive is not a solely Nigerian trait. You only need to take a look at the message strip of Big Brother Africa 2!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Kobojunkie: 3:10am On Oct 16, 2007
I don't really mind people. Sure it is a free world and just as the person is free to go on allowing his/her mouth to rot, I am allowed to choose to spend my precious time with persons who can discuss without those instead. I would rather spend my minutes talking to an slowpoke who does not rush to using insults when making a point than spend my time with an intelligent being who can not make a point without resorting to use of foul language.

I can not stand such behaviour. Nothing personal but it is just me and mine.

I can understand someone who has tourettes and can not do much about it but a grown up with his faculty together doing that ?? HECK NO!! put me back in the room with the kid with tourettes instead.!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by dayokanu(m): 7:32am On Oct 16, 2007
I think Jackal is an epitome of this. He is so uncouth and always goes around abusing everybody. Same with Afam.

But Jackal's case/condition is pathetic.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by almondjoy(f): 8:02am On Oct 16, 2007
@Topic

It is cultural--handed down from generations before.  High level of aggression in an unfulfilled or unhappy, poverty stricken environment.  A hungry man is an angry man.  When the brain is starved of food--no telling what can happen.  Most cultures other than African have other reasons like psychosis or medical conditions related to hormonal imbalance or drug abuse.

In Nigeria, it is mostly as a result of high levels of frustrations from life's dissapointments and lack of communication skills.  No outlet for anger management.  Lack of therapists to work with manic depressive or biopolar personalities. Also a culture of intimidation and arrogance breeds aggression in Nigerians as seen in most countries with dictatorship government. Lastly, we have not learned to respect peoples' individual choices--everyone must see things the same way or else face the bullet.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by dayokanu(m): 8:21am On Oct 16, 2007
This was my post on a sport thread.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has proposed increased number of Nationals in the various European leagues

What does this portend for the English teams as hardly does any of the teams field up to 5 local players at times you wonder if Portsmouth is an African team. Imagine Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal without the foreign legion even hardly do you get English Managers for the teams too.

Even in the whole of Europe of all the big teams maybe only AC milan and Bayern Munich would make that cut of 6 local and 5 foreign players ratio.

And this is an excerpt from Jackals response immediately.

Your intelligence on football matters needs to be brushed up . . . . .You ooze of sheer stupidity!

And later this:

Dayokanu, the only thing i can call u now is Nairaland's resident retard. What the Bleep are u talking about?
I just gave u the spine of Man Utd: RIO-HARGREAVES/CARRICK-SCHOLES-ROONEY. Is there any non-English player in this SPINE.
At any point in time . . . .United plays at least 5-6 English players even before the Sepp Blatter's foreign policy.
Cant understand why you are acting like a gay suffering from MID-LIFE CRISIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this

You are by far the most senseless and brainless gay i have met on any blog . . . . and thats serious because i have used more than 1000 blogs.
No one compares to your stupidity and moronic nature of reasoning.

Even some one had to complain about Jackal see this

@jackal

ROFLMAO Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin chie jackal wetin dayo do u now!!!!!!!

dayokanu wats up na u them murder like this

i am laffing and crying

And this

yes,got BANNED by the gaffer 4 'abusive behaviour'.
[b]can't beleive i got d axe and folks like jackal didnt,[/b]peek at d beginin of this thread n c what i mean.i'm absolutely FLABBERGASTED!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by dayokanu(m): 8:29am On Oct 16, 2007
Another one.

Amenhotep (m)
UK

Re: African Ststesmen - Icons Or Pawns?
« #9 on: Today at 04:41:31 AM »

@ posters

Quote from: davidylan on Today at 04:32:06 AM
Ahmedinejad - Icon or Idiot?

And on this note people, I'd like to draw your attention to a Mr. Davidylan. He is a mad disillusioned individual who suffers from solitary confinement and loneliness and as a result can only vent his anger on forums like this. Be Warned! He is on almost every thread and every post, and never has anything to say that makes sense. So while we proceed with this thread, I urge fellow members to bear with this nuisance if you cannot ignore it, as it will continue to pop up now and again.

Thank you. We may now continue with the thread.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 16, 2007
it is in the blood
some have been taught how to abuse from age 1 and this trend as continued and is now a pattern of life.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by 9ja4eva: 9:27am On Oct 16, 2007
Why is d focus on Nigeria?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by somze(f): 9:43am On Oct 16, 2007
Deborsky
I'm really disappointed with your post and your open show of hypocrisy and blind support for what is wrong.

Earlier you rightly claim that moving away from the topic of threads and being emotional cause abuse, yet here you clearly support someone who does that same thing while condemning others. Cant you see your own double standards?

Even on sports thread you have been accused of this blind support by someone else. Just a week or so ago, you came in when he was having his usually fights with others and called the others dogs. Anyway your loyalties are your bizness, just quit speaking from both part of your mouth

I think we as nairalanders have to try as much as possible to keep it clean and unabusive. As much as we may have been pushed we should look inside and try to keep it as matured as possible. Even I am guilty of this.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Etin(f): 9:54am On Oct 16, 2007
9ja4eva:

Why is d focus on Nigeria?

What Country would you have us focus on seeing that this thread clearly states its referring to a pattern noticed on nairaland ? and as a Nigerian I believe it should be my primary focus to change things I can. What do you think?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by labiyemmy(m): 10:26am On Oct 16, 2007
because they think they are better than every other person - example is every where here on Nairaland - they are nothing but empty barells which makes the loudest noises.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 16, 2007
@topic

It's actually not a Nigerian thing alone. It's got alot to do with our temperament as individual. Moreso, frustration could be another factor! It's really saddening when for no reason someone picks on your post and start abusing you using dirty languages! To me, such a fellow needs help and urgent attention.  grin We've got a few of them here on Nairaland. And I do pity such because, it really makes no sense getting angry at someone you cannot see. I wonder what might happen if you are in close contact with such .

A little write-up i did some months back, got me some terrifying/insulting phone calls from fellow Nigerians which is not supposed  to be! I feel there are better ways you could air your views without being abusive nor sarcastic! wink
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by oyinyechi(f): 10:57am On Oct 16, 2007
hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:07am On Oct 16, 2007
This reminds me of a thread I posted my opinion and someone called ThiefOfHearts started insulting me just because my opinion was different from hers. I went into the mud pit with her.

I also recall my experience with davidylan. He started with some rude comments; I exercised restraint and requested that we air our views (even if different) without resulting to nasty comments. He respected that for no more than two posts and then went back to insults. I removed my gloves.

Some people just can't express their views without use of derogatory/rude/insulting terms - I guess it's just how they are.

I'm of the opinion that if anyone insults or speaks rudely to me, that I reserve the right to respond in kind. However, I won't be the one to start a fight.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by barikisu(f): 11:29am On Oct 16, 2007
well I can already see a series of fights looming, so lets hope this thread doesnt turn out to be an example of what the topic is supposed to be addressing cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by 4christ(f): 11:34am On Oct 16, 2007
if you must know y check the house of reps/ senate, you will know WHY   cry grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by angezy2k(f): 11:47am On Oct 16, 2007
olowoTee is right!

being abusive has nothing to do with only Nigerian, rather, it depend on one's temperament.

although  different State's in Nigeria differ in their attitude and their way of life, for example people from Delta, Edo,etc are use to insulate words because is their way of life in that part of the country, but there are still some that re cool headed.

well that not withstanding, i still believe people out there as in other part of the country, there are more of bad temperament than we Nigerian, but we may decide not to express it in Nairaland.

for those  that re insulting, please insult is not the only way to express your thought, we all should try and control our speech both within this forum and outside. Because two letter words is enough to destroy along relationship. NB: every one is entitle to his or her own opinion, you can alway learn something out of something that looks absurd, if you wish to . Nigerian Economy is not the cause of our attitude, if you like have Billions of Naira but if you don't know that you have a bad character, and make a change towards it, you will remain a disgrace to the world at large.

let us all try to make a change towards our bad behaviour if we have one, so that we  can make the world a better place.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by pejubaby(f): 12:13pm On Oct 16, 2007
nigeria is not the only country in africa/world going through rough times but yet to me, in my opinion they are the meanest people. i rather hang out with non- nigerians than to hang with my very own people.

Are you now saying, you are not proud to a nigerian?

Any way i just think i should start from there, thats just by the wayside.

Thanks for the observation. fellow nairalanders lets try to respect the feelings of others We all cannot just think the same way. Most of us know about freedom of speech and not freedom of expression. I think i need to be careful so as fall a victim of the topic we are trying to address.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Emir Of Daura's One-year-old Daughter Turbaned Magajiya Yakumo Of Daura Emirate / Ooni Ogunwusi At Ogun Drums Festival - Photos / Oluwo Of Iwoland Erects Golden Gate Along Iwo-Ibadan Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.