Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? (30237 Views)

Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour / Why are Nigerian so Abusive and Insulting / Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Etin(f): 11:57am On Dec 05, 2007
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. This is to wish you all a very wonderful Christmas and a great New Year ahead. May God direct all our steps and utterances in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by davidif: 11:07pm On Dec 16, 2007
this post is the truth, we just can't agree to disagree. No wonder we can't figure democracy out. if somebody comes up with something different we shout them down (common get out) woe unto them if they think of something different, we call them all kinds of names like small boy or mumu, and we wonder why our country never progresses, when we can't come to a consensus amongst ourselves. I must admit i am just like that, i guess its the way we were raised, we need to start reeducating our kids lest they become like us.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Ivvie: 11:17pm On Dec 16, 2007
davidif:

this post is the truth, we just can't agree to disagree. No wonder we can't figure democracy out. if somebody comes up with something different we shout them down (common get out) woe unto them if they think of something different, we call them all kinds of names like small boy or mumu, and we wonder why our country never progresses, when we can't come to a consensus amongst ourselves. I must admit i am just like that, i guess its the way we were raised, we need to start reeducating our kids lest they become like us.

The issue is still worse than what is addressed. Knowing the nature of Nigerians, I'll reserve my comment 'cause it'll do them no good. You reap what you sow. It's bad to know that within a "body" its inhabitants still dont get along. Nigerians cannot re-educate their kids because in life, you cannot give what you don't have. It isn't the way is raised but choices made.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by BigSis(f): 7:19pm On Dec 21, 2007
Left,

You are absolutely right in your assessment. I use to wonder why Nigerians behave the way they did, i.e. tactless, crass, rude, abrasive, overbearing, etc. Then I went to Nigeria. I understood. The society is a harsh place.

Once I witnessed a bus stop to pick up passenger, and the adult pushed children to the pavement in order to get a seat. Now this is the sort of treatment little children get. So what do you think will become of the little children?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Ivvie: 7:26pm On Dec 21, 2007
BigSis:

Left,

You are absolutely right in your assessment. I use to wonder why Nigerians behave the way they did, i.e. tactless, crass, rude, abrasive, overbearing, etc. Then I went to Nigeria. I understood. The society is a harsh place.

Once I witnessed a bus stop to pick up passenger, and the adult pushed children to the pavement in order to get a seat. Now this is the sort of treatment little children get. So what do you think will become of the little children?

I guess you answered the entire post.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by almondjoy(f): 8:12pm On Dec 21, 2007
BigSis:

Left,

He he he he he he he heh! grin

It is called survival of the fittest! Children do not count!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Dreloaded(f): 8:21pm On Dec 21, 2007
all these akata people just dey run their mouths sha\

Madam Akata, BigSis, if an elderly person needs to sit and some brat is just looking there, you better believe he will be pushed so the elderly person can sit down. Uusally you dont have to tell them as they know what to do but some children need it knocked into their heads.

Get over it cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by almondjoy(f): 8:47pm On Dec 21, 2007
D-reloaded:

Madam Akata, BigSis, if an elderly person needs to sit and some brat is just looking there, you better believe he will be pushed so the elderly person can sit down. Uusally you don't have to tell them as they know what to do but some children need it knocked into their heads.

Get over it cheesy

He he he he he he he he he he HEH! cheesy

And the saga continues!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Busta(f): 8:58pm On Dec 21, 2007
lol

Perfect Example is NL. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by davidif: 8:24pm On Dec 23, 2007
Its more of a societal thing, therefore we need to start reeducating our kids so they don't become like us

Social studies classes should be teaching our kids conflict resolution starting in Primary school. They need to teach our kids to agree to disagree with people at times and that since somebody has a differing opinion from you doesn't mean they are "mumus"(stupid). They also need to teach them that every disagreement does not need lead to a shouting march or a belligerent response from them.

Another big problem in our society is that we are not thought how to handle pressure and how to control our emotions, just fly a nigerian plane and see how horrible the hostesses are; extremely mean. Just because you've had a bad day doesn't mean you should take it out on everybody else. This also extends all the way to the top especially in leadership were people are ridiculed for having a differing opinion or even shouted down or barked at (common shut up jo or commot here jare).

Leadership requires cooler heads hence the cliche "cooler heads will prevail"  and our kids should also be thought in school how to reach consensus; where a decision is made that satisfies everybody and not just the majority, instead of those with stronger personalities ("gra gra" people) or those with louder voices dominating everybody else. If our kids don't get this right Nigeria might never ever get better, because there is no electricity or you don't have a job or because "go-slow" dey does not mean you should relay your anger on everybody else.

On a side note on leadership, a leader must always be calm during crisis and not show emotion and should make tough decisions and take responsibility when it doesn't work out, instead of giving excuses and blaimin other people for it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nwaka77: 10:26pm On Dec 23, 2007
D-reloaded:

Madam Akata, BigSis, if an elderly person needs to sit and some brat is just looking there, you better believe he will be pushed so the elderly person can sit down. Uusally you don't have to tell them as they know what to do but some children need it knocked into their heads.

Get over it cheesy

LOL, abi o! I notice say that woman never get anything positive to say about Naija and its people. Why she no become member of akata forums I sorry for the Naija man wey marry this vampire. I can never be married to a man whose people I dispise but then again everyone is not me so,
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by cuteNhot(f): 5:05pm On Jan 01, 2008
Etin:

How exactly our we going to grow as a nation if the enlighten ones do not have basic respect other peoples opinion. This basic respect is the hallmark of civilized society

My dear, this is a paradox.
Enlightened people do not display coarse and gross behavior.
A true enlightened person would behave appropriately in all fora.
Nigeria's current situation is reflective of how truly enlightened
the enlightened one are.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by henry007(m): 2:58am On Mar 13, 2008
y can't a nigerian be duped of ova 1 million dollars but y?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by mamaorga(f): 10:03am On May 02, 2008
HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
WE NEED DIVINE INTERVENTION TO HELP SOLVE THIS CRISIS OF HARSH AND ABUSIVE CHARACTER OF NIGERIANS
BUT IT MAKES NIGERIANS UNIQUE AND DIFFERENT U KNOW, LMAO
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by rubi(f): 8:39pm On May 06, 2008
Everyone is unique and fine in there own ways
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by PapaDingo: 8:54pm On May 06, 2008
It took years of shaping by the British to reach that behavior. I am not trying to aggaravate any fire or make anyone

feel like British people are evil. Those from back then who embraced slavery certainly were evil. My point is if you

look back to the days of slavery africans were abused and beaten, but were controlled in the name of respecting and

fearing God. Why do you think most African countires are authoritarians, bcause that behavior was embedded in their

system after so many years of colonism. The British proclaimed themselves as fathers to the Africans and that gave them a chance to mold our behaviors, disrespect their women and our women and WE LEARNED TO TREAT WOMEN LIKE SHIT TILL THIS DAY AND THE REST OF THE uGLY BEHAVIORS CAME LATER. ITS NOT NIGERIANS ONLY.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by PapaDingo: 9:13pm On May 06, 2008
ANOTHER THING I HAVE TO SAY IS THAT THE CONSERVATIVE NIGERIANS NEED TO LEARN HOW TO RESPECT

OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINION/LIVES EVEN IF THEY DO NOT LIKE IT. IT IS SO IRONIC TO HEAR FROM A NIGERIAN THAT GOD
SAID " DO NOT JUDGE OTHERS, AND I SHALL NOT JUDGE YOU." BUT I SEEM TO HAVE EXPERIENCED THE OPPOSITE FROM NIGERIAN ACADEMIC INSTITUTIONS, FAMILIES, COMMUNITIES, EVEN SO CALLED FRIENDS. WE NEED TO GET RID OF THAT COLONIAL MASTERS ATTITUDE. NO WONDER WE ARE STILL BEHIND. IF WE LET OUR MINDS WORK TOGETHER WE COULD GONE FAR IN CIVILIZATION AND I AM NOT EXXAGERATING.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by lucabrasi(m): 11:52pm On May 06, 2008
speaking for nigerians in nigeria,i guess its the stress, struggling under the hawt sun can make u have a very short fuse, also i think it has a lot to do with the way you were brought up,speaking for myself,even when im abused online like a forum like this,it takes a while for me to go deep down and dirty because i wasnt brought up that way and if it was a real life situation and u abused me ill walk off and leave you to rant and rave or just keep on laughn at you(always seems to piss people off when u r like that ,than actually replying)
for nigerians abroad,i honestly dont have any excuse for theirs,guess we can put it down to the nigerian thing or personality traits that some nigerians have and others dont
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by robby1(m): 5:13pm On May 28, 2008
who tell u say nigerians dey insultive? abi u dey craze? cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Gabry(f): 2:00pm On May 29, 2008
As a complete foreigner, I find most of the Nigerians here to be rude. They get angry for no reasons, they curse to the ends of their tongues, they love criticizing over everything especially on people's looks, they say so much bad words, My goodness, The list goes on. I am not saying that Nigerian people are bad but most of this has to be reduced because other people's perception on Nigerians will be a negative one and believe me, it will affect your whole country's population.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by amaechijay: 2:34pm On May 29, 2008
I beg to disagree.

Nigerians are not as bad-mouthed as South Africans. We are more cultured than most African countries.

This can be deduced from the BBII where Ofunneka beat the rest of other African ambassadors in morals.

Moreso,considering what we are going through here in the hands of bad leaders, which citizens of Africa could be angrier yet we remain united.

Fellow Nigerians HAPPY DEMOCRACY DAY!!! grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Gabry(f): 2:41pm On May 29, 2008
Oh yes, I completely agree with that amaechijay.

But I just dont understand why some Nigerians have this sort of anger in them (Well, as I have observed, I notice quite a number in here actually). Its like they have been tortured all their life and then they had to explode it here or something. I just cannot believe the number of bad words coming out from a person's mouth which I find it really a shock indeed. Where on earth do they learn all these bad words since for me, 25 years living on earth and I dont know much and infact, I dont say it at all.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Blatant: 4:00pm On May 29, 2008
Go to the UK and see people who abuse you for NOTHING. Sometimes they dont just abuse you, they also physically attack you.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Gabry(f): 4:08pm On May 29, 2008
I guess you are talking about Londoners yes? Cause yes, its true that mos tof them there are like that but I've been to so many other parts in the UK, their very friendly.

I guess perhaps its safe to say that no matter where we are around the globe, there are bound to have rude people.

I have to admit that I have quite a number of my fellow Malaysian people here whom are rude and can be fully known as rapers cause everyday, there are bound to have an average of 2-5 rape cases.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by savanaha: 4:08pm On May 29, 2008
Blatant:

Go to the UK and see people who abuse you for NOTHING. Sometimes they don't just abuse you, they also physically attack you.

The Blantant truth.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by tboy1(m): 4:09pm On May 29, 2008
Blatant:

Go to the UK and see people who abuse you for NOTHING. Sometimes they don't just abuse you, they also physically attack you.

Which part of UK did you go?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Gabry(f): 4:13pm On May 29, 2008
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by sheniqua: 4:16pm On May 29, 2008
I've had a little Mexican boy call me bitch in spanish a few years ago.
A little 3 year old receiving a shot in a public health clinic.
In all my time in Nigeria that would be unheard of that a kid would call anyone such names let alone a doctor giving him a shot.

Nigerians can be loud and rude but so is everyone else.
The cuss words that come off the mouths of Americans is nothing compared to Nigerians.
The only difference is that Americans know when to be quiet, Nigerians don't
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Gabry(f): 4:26pm On May 29, 2008
Maybe the little ones are not rude because theres the eldest there but I think the middle age Nigeriens can be alittle over the top at times.

Like today, a guy called me ugly like the devil and called me bitch and I did not call him anything to begin with and when another Nigerian guy ask him what is his problem, he told the guy to kiss his black ass, undecided

And like the other day, another guy called me a Malaysian Slut and not worth for a Nigerian guy since I did not talk to this guy at all also to begin with

And last week, another person called me a LovePeddler pretending to be a virgin. He just snap out and everyone thought he had his period or something,

Now thats what I call Plain Rude, (Sorry, I dont and never would saybad words or to swear but just to give examples. So excuse me for this time. Thank you)
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by savanaha: 4:39pm On May 29, 2008
gabrywyl:

Maybe the little ones are not rude because theres the eldest there but I think the middle age Nigeriens can be alittle over the top at times.

Like today, a guy called me ugly like the devil and called me bitch and I did not call him anything to begin with and when another Nigerian guy ask him what is his problem, he told the guy to kiss his black ass, undecided

And like the other day, another guy called me a Malaysian Slut and not worth for a Nigerian guy since I did not talk to this guy at all also to begin with

And last week, another person called me a LovePeddler pretending to be a virgin. He just snap out and everyone thought he had his period or something,

Now thats what I call Plain Rude, (Sorry, I don't and never would saybad words or to swear but just to give examples. So excuse me for this time. Thank you)

This is however a public forum over the internet where people have the ability to hide themselves. Any forum or chatroom you go into there is a likely possibilty that someone can start arguing for no reason.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Gabry(f): 4:42pm On May 29, 2008
Hey savanaha, well, the first one is in here and the other two is reality.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by sheniqua: 4:45pm On May 29, 2008
gabrywyl:

Now thats what I call Plain Rude, (Sorry, I don't and never would saybad words or to swear but just to give examples. So excuse me for this time. Thank you)

I've had some people call ne ashewo here on nairaland just because I dared to disagree with them.
Nigerians are rude no doubt but we are not any worse than other people.
Come and see Americans using F words infront of their own kids together with other expletives

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Oluwo Of Iwoland Erects Golden Gate Along Iwo-Ibadan Expressway / Olowu Of Owu Oba Dosunmu Is Dead / Rare Yoruba Names And Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.