Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man (10972 Views)

Remaining Possessions Of Tafawa Balewa At His Tomb. Photos / Sanusi, The Most Intelligent Man In The Country- IMF / Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by BizBooks(m): 1:17pm On Feb 02, 2012
Growing up in the early 70s, we were fed the propaganda that Nigeria's first Prime Minister, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was an illiterate cattle rancher. The propaganda had it that Zik was supposed to be the Prime Minister but happened to be too smart for the British so they chose the dumb Balewa instead. While it may be true that the British preferred Balewa for their own political purposes, the assertion that he was illiterate or dumb could not be farther from the truth.

For some reason, I took this propaganda on face value and never bothered to verify it's authenticity until a few days ago when I stumbled upon Tafawa Balewa on YouTube. It turned out that Balewa was not only literate, he was highly intelligent. He spoke good English with little northern accent and was highly conversant of the hot political topic of his time (ie the struggle for power between the defunct USSR on the one side and Western Europe and USA on the other).

On that subject, Balewa said the following in an interview about neutral countries and neutrality:

Journalist: (inaudible) in the latest remark made by Mr Nehru the other day that when a neutral country joins a neutral bloc, it ceases to be neutral.

Balewa:
Exactly. I entirely agree with him. I told reporters in Lagos the same thing yesterday evening. They said “well what about the neutralist group?” I said well they are committed.

Journalist: So what kind of neutralism do you envisage?…

Balewa: I don’t like this idea of neutrality. I don’t like the word. I think it is the wrong word.

Journalist: (inaudible) how do you hope to maintain your real independence of the political world.

Balewa: We want to pursue an independent view.

The interesting part of this interview in my opinion is the bolded portion where Balewa argued that the neutral countries are not neutral since they are committed. This argument may sound absurd. But it requires somebody with a higher level of intelligence to understand that in fact, a neutral position does not exist. If one takes a neutral position in an argument, that in itself becomes a position.

Balewa was later vindicated when the neutralist countries formed the Non-Aligned Movement.

P.S: Nehru was a former Prime Minister of India.
Interview is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4twfjk3hoA4
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nduchucks: 1:24pm On Feb 02, 2012
Indeed! Tawawa Balewa was very intelligent, gracious, and great

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by kunlekunle: 2:13pm On Feb 02, 2012
i saw a documentary on bbc sometimes ago.
those guys were tutored on public administration before the handing over.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Jarus(m): 2:35pm On Feb 02, 2012
The stereotype about the North/northerners has been around for long, and doesn't seem it will end soon.

Tafawa Balewa, trained in England and with excellent command of English language and good accent to boot, was at par with the Ziks and Awos of this world in oration then, despite the latter duo being more schooled.

It still happens today, anybody from the north is dismissed as 'gworo-chewing, cattle-rearing illiterate'. Or isn't it funny that some people still call Lamido Sanusi illiterate even after he has proved himself at global stage, including delivering lectures at LSE, schooling American congress on how to deal with economic reforms, being the only speaker that received standing ovation in CFA global conference in 2011 etc? Funny? Isn't it? He is indeed illiterate.

Until those of us from the lower side of the Niger drop our arrogance and accept we are not the only educated and brilliant Nigerians, we will continue to receive shellacking from the Northerners!

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by jaybee3(m): 2:39pm On Feb 02, 2012
Jarus:

It still happens today, anybody from the north is dismissed as 'gworo-chewing, cattle-rearing illiterate'. Or isn't it funny that some people still call Lamido Sanusi illiterate even after he has proved himself at global stage, including delivering lectures at LSE, schooling American congress on how to deal with economic reforms, being the only speaker that received standing ovation in CFA global conference in 2011 etc? Funny? Isn't it? He is indeed illiterate.

Until those of us from the lower side of the Niger drop our arrogance and accept we are not the only educated and brilliant Nigerians, we will continue to receive shellacking from the Northerners!
You can't necessarily use the select few to judge entire flock.
I don't think the argument is that nothing good ever comes from the north
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by energylink: 2:53pm On Feb 02, 2012
jay bee:

Its not necessarily that nothing good comes from the North, but the few that are good shld put minds together to develop their basterdised regions, socially, educationally, etc. Look at Dangote, he is from Kano, the first time I got to kano, I was watching with mouth agape hundreds of kids I see trekking on the main streets right under the very nose of the purposed educated ones, begging for what to eat.

They shld try and do something. Honestly, the northerners are lagging due to their ignorance. Ignorance solidly built on religious ideology that produces shit.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Jarus(m): 2:59pm On Feb 02, 2012
jay bee:

Unfortunately, the argument by more than 90% of southerners is nothing good can come out of the north. Two is the tendency to rationalize shortcomings of the south/southerners too.

That is what I find nauseating.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Nobody: 3:01pm On Feb 02, 2012
There are a lot of intelligent Northern Nigerians around.

Farouk Lawan is presently a shining example.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by espiritdav(m): 3:09pm On Feb 02, 2012
cool my first time on nairaland, Balewa was an intellegent ma, understood how to rule his country via manuals from the Queen, shchooled in England and downed 42 cups of Tea, although its highly irrational to generalise the North in terms of education, there have been quality people produced from the North.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Jarus(m): 3:14pm On Feb 02, 2012
espiritdav:

cool my first time on nairaland, Balewa was an intellegent ma, understood how to rule his country via manuals from the Queen, shchooled in England and downed 42 cups of Tea, although its highly irrational to generalise the North in terms of education, there have been quality people produced from the North.

This is another condescending fabrications you hear about the north, same we were fed Balewa was an illiterate, before modern tools like YouTube proved them wrong.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nagoma(m): 3:15pm On Feb 02, 2012
There is nothing prestigous about southerners dicovering the intelligence of the Nigeria's fisrt prime minister or acknowledging the literacy of Lamido Sanusi. I will always prefer my "Goro chewing cattle rearer aboki description" so that , with them southerners, I as a northerner will have the full cognizance of my standing.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by BizBooks(m): 3:16pm On Feb 02, 2012
espiritdav:

downed 42 cups of Tea,

I forgot that one. That was another popular legend. This legend has it that Balewa did not know the English tea etiquette and ended up drinking 42 cups at a conference in London before Zik came to his rescue.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by aljharem(m): 3:19pm On Feb 02, 2012
nagoma:

There is nothing prestigous about southerners dicovering the intelligence of the Nigeria's fisrt prime minister or acknowledging the literacy of Lamido Sanusi. I will always prefer my "Goro chewing cattle rearer aboki description" so that , with them,I have the full cognizance of my standing.

+ 10
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nduchucks: 3:37pm On Feb 02, 2012
BizBooks:

I forgot that one. That was another popular legend. This legend has it that Balewa did not know the English tea etiquette and ended up[b] drinking 42 cups [/b] at a conference in London before Zik came to his rescue.

Assuming that a cup of tea is 8oz (it is probably smaller), 24cups =10liters approx = 2.64 gallons. Is it possible for any human being to consume that much tea within a 30 -60 minute time span, after eating breakfast? Let us use our God given brains abeg.

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by aljharem(m): 3:44pm On Feb 02, 2012
DJTee:

There are a lot of intelligent Northern Nigerians around.

Farouk Lawan is presently a shining example.

+ 100
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by BizBooks(m): 3:49pm On Feb 02, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Assuming that a cup of tea is 8oz (it is probably smaller), 24cups =10liters approx = 2.64 gallons. Is it possible for any human being to consume that much tea within a 30 -60 minute time span, after eating breakfast? Let us use our God given brains abeg.

You will likely believe that story if you heard it at the age of 10. That notwithstanding, in my statement, I called the "42 cups of tea" story a legend. Legend is defined as "an unverified story handed down from earlier times."

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nagoma(m): 3:55pm On Feb 02, 2012
You will likely believe that story if you heard it at the age of 10. That notwithstanding, in my statement, I called the "42 cups of tea" story a legend. Legend is defined as "an unverified story handed down from earlier times."

These are "the tribal hatred programming" that had to start at an early age. It is the result we are seeing here on Nairaland.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by occam(m): 4:28pm On Feb 02, 2012
Jarus:

The stereotype about the North/northerners has been around for long, and doesn't seem it will end soon.

Tafawa Balewa, trained in England and with excellent command of English language and good accent to boot, was at par with the Ziks and Awos of this world in oration then, despite the latter duo being more schooled.

Until couple of years ago, I also assumed Tafawa Balewa was an illiterate politician who became President by mistake. Now I know better. I was moved to tears when I saw an interview of this man on youtube. A brilliant man dedicated to the Nigerian cause.

Teaching on Nigerian Political history should be compulsory in schools. Sadly, Nigerians know very little about what happened during the First republic and Second Republics; events that took happened less than 50 yrs ago

Chief Adegoke "Penkelemesi" Adelabu was also portrayed as a buffoon by Yoruba elders. My goodness! if you read the history of this man you'll be amazed at his level of intellect and political astuteness.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nduchucks: 4:51pm On Feb 02, 2012
BizBooks:

You are not the one I am concerned about because you've already shown a certain objectivity. Unfortunately, there are others among us who will believe the "legend" as facts if we don't show them how unreasonable it is.

Africans, even the so-called educated ones, believe unreasonable legends. For example, I know of many PhD holders who still believe that Oduduwa descended from Heaven accompanied by his lieutenants and landed at Ile-Ife.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by kbdrim(m): 5:00pm On Feb 02, 2012
To those who do not know he was often called the golden voice of Africa, If you read his biography, .His Right honourable Gentleman by Sir Trevor Clark, The book highlights his Philosophy to life, His politics and relationship with the other founding fathers(Azikiwe, Awolowo and Ahmadu bello). You would understand from the book that he was of a very sound mind and could debate at any level with his peers at any time. It was even claimed in the book that he was better at convincing his opponents on their opposing views than awolowo or azikiwe because he was hardly condescending when arguing. He still remains my favourite founding father. He died  penniless with 600 naira to his name and didnt even own a house. The only house he ever had was the one his father had built while he was in school. Unlike Awolowo or Azikiwe who aquired lots of properties. He was always a gentleman.
The erroneous belief that the south still remains the beakon of knowledge is also a myth. I was privileged to serve in one of the SW states about 6 years ago and i was shocked to witness what you call schools. I was supposedly in the one of the best private schools there and the level of illiteracy is absurd and it was an experience many corpers who had lots of respect for the south west as far as education was concerned had. Exam malpractice was the order of the day in these schools and the students could hardly express themselves. The fact remains that Nigeria produces a few brilliant folks but majority of students either in the north, south, east and west are hopelessly educated illiterates at best. Infact, that motivated me to take up teaching as a career. By the way Im from the North Central(middlebelt as a yoruba man would have it be)
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by edoyad(m): 5:09pm On Feb 02, 2012
ndu_chucks:

You are not the one I am concerned about because you've already shown a certain objectivity. Unfortunately, there are others among us who will believe the "legend" as facts if we don't show them how unreasonable it is.

Africans, even the so-called educated ones, believe unreasonable legends. For example, I know of many PhD holders who still believe that Oduduwa descended from Heaven accompanied by his lieutenants and landed at Ile-Ife. 

How different is that from professors who believe that "god" was conceived by a virgin 2000 years ago? Or those who believe that the devil lives in a giant black cube in Mecca?

1 Like

Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nduchucks: 5:16pm On Feb 02, 2012
edoyad:

How different is that from professors who believe that "god" was conceived by a virgin 2000 years ago? Or those who believe that the devil lives in a giant black cube in Mecca?

Are you trying to derail the thread? Stop pretending to be a dummy, olodo. You know the point being made, now flee flea. cheesy
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by PHIPEX(m): 5:19pm On Feb 02, 2012
He may not be as educated as Awo and Zik but he is certainly not an illiterate.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by nagoma(m): 5:21pm On Feb 02, 2012
Prime Minister Tafawa Balewa's address to the nation on Independence day

TODAY is Independence Day. The First of October 1960
is a date to which for two years every Nigerian has
been eagerly looking forward. At last our great day
has arrived, and Nigeria is now indeed an independent
sovereign nation.

Words cannot adequately express my joy and pride at
being the Nigerian citizen privileged to accept from
Her Royal Highness these Constitutional Instruments
which are the symbols of Nigeria's independence. It is
a unique privilege, which I shall remember forever,
and it gives me strength and courage as I dedicate my
life to the service of our country.

This is a wonderful day, and it is all the more
wonderful because we have awaited it with increasing
impatience compelled to watch one country after
another overtaking us on the road when we had so
nearly reached our goal. But now we have acquired our
rightful status and I feel sure that history will show
that the building of our nation proceeded at the
wisest pace: It has been thorough, and Nigeria now
stands well built upon firm foundations.

Today's ceremony marks the culmination of a process
which began fifteen years ago and has now reached a
happy and successful conclusion. It is with
justifiable proud that we claim the achievement of our
Independence to be unparalleled[b] in the annals of
history. Each step of our constitutional advance has
been purposefully and peacefully planned with full and
open consultation between representatives of all the
various interests in Nigeria but in harmonious
co-operation with the administering power which has
today relinquished its authority -----------[/b]

------(about 6 pargraphs later-----------------So that we
find ourselves today being tested to the utmost, We
are called upon immediately to show that our claims to
responsible government are well-founded, and having
been accepted as an independent state we must at once
play an active part in maintaining the peace of the
world and in preserving civilisation. I promise you,
we shall not fail for want of determination.

Today, we have with us representatives of those who
have made Nigeria Representatives of the Regional
governments, of former Central Governments, of the
Missionary Societies, and of the banking and
commercial enterprises, and members, both past and
present, of the public service. We welcome you, and we
rejoice that you have been able to come and share in
our celebrations. We wish that it could have been
possible for all of those whom you represent to be
here today. Many, I know, will be disappointed to be
absent, but if they are listening to me now, I say to
them: Thank you on behalf of my countrymen. Thank you
for your devoted service, which helped to build up
Nigeria into a nation. Today we are reaping the
harvest, which you have sowed, and the quality of the
harvest is equaled only by our gratitude to you. May
God bless you all.

This is an occasion when our hearts are filled with
conflicting emotions: we are, indeed, proud to have
achieved our independence, and proud that our efforts
should have contributed to this happy event. But do
not mistake our pride for arrogance. It is tempered by
feelings of sincere gratitude to all who have shared
in the task of developing Nigeria politically,
socially, and economically. We are grateful to the
British officers whom we have known, first as masters,
and then as leaders, and finally as partners, but
always as friends. And there have been countless
missionaries who have laboured unceasingly in the
cause of education and to whom we owe many of our
medical services
. We are grateful also to those who
have brought modern methods of banking and of
commerce, and new industries. I wish to pay tribute to
all of these people and to declare our everlasting
admiration of their devotion to duty.

And finally, I must express our gratitude to her Royal
Highness the Princess Alexandra of Kent for personally
bringing to us these symbols of our freedom, and
especially for delivering the gracious message from
her Majesty, The Queen. And so, with God save our
Queen, I open a new chapter in the history of Nigeria,
and of the Commonwealth, and indeed of the world.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Ayatullah(m): 5:41pm On Feb 02, 2012
Fela has said it all you people from the 'south' have allowed yourseves to be taught non sense. Just as your bible have been tampered with and you have been made to forsake the REAL BOOK- the QURAN. So shall your eyes be opened on the last day to find islam as the truth. Beware of your teachers use your common sense. Now you have no excuse in this internet age. Shine your brain!!!
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:07pm On Feb 02, 2012
Ayatullah:

Fela has said it all you people from the 'south' have allowed yourseves to be taught non sense. Just as your bible have been tampered with and you have been made to forsake the REAL BOOK- the QURAN. So shall your eyes be opened on the last day to find islam as the truth. Beware of your teachers use your common sense. Now you have no excuse in this internet age. Shine your brain!!!

[size=20pt]Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar! Allahu Akbar![/size]
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by DRANOEL(m): 6:24pm On Feb 02, 2012
Ayatullah:

read what people are posting then read the garbage you just posted and feel s.tupid! you violent m.oron
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by dayokanu(m): 6:29pm On Feb 02, 2012
Good point Edoyad
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by monex(m): 6:53pm On Feb 02, 2012
edoyad:

now this is a very liberal and objective view devoid of all dogmas and I know edoyad wld be a christian.

@OP. truth is you don't get to such positions and not be intelligent. even our current President who is called retardeen cannot be dumb. people @ that level suffer from two things: too much info or too little info.

rising through the ranks doesn't take just luck. even @ age 10, i couldn't have believed President Tafawa Balewa was dull/illiterate. sometimes the humble & simple lifestyle of northern intellectuals make southern peeps underrate them.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Dede1(m): 6:55pm On Feb 02, 2012
The poster of this thread has issue with actual meaning of certain English words. It is unfortunate the original poster and subsequent ones seemed to intertwine intelligence and literacy in a misguided comparison with illiteracy.

Of course, Balewa was a very intelligent man and not a dunce since he never went unclad in the public or on the podium. He was never seen picking foods on the street or chasing after beautiful women. Even he knew where to buy fine gworo. In fact, intelligence has minimal part to play in a person’s belief or lack thereof. Beliefs are notoriously false.

As for literate, the last time I checked though, he was trained as grade II teacher. At the era in question, he was qualified to be a headmaster or principal. It is erroneous strain in judgment that certain folks still had the audacity to call a person who can read and write an illiterate.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Ayatullah(m): 7:54pm On Feb 02, 2012
@DRANOEL Your block head is never meant to receive the truth idiets like you still abounds keep fooling yourself about the fables about the 'North'. Idiets and half-baked graduates(if u ever go beyond Jakande school) like u go to their grave unrepentant. Foool.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man by Nobody: 8:22pm On Feb 02, 2012
He was indeed intelligent but with out the education he acquired in Britain,he would be another aristocratic fulani Emir.
I wonder why since he became enlightened,he couldn't cajole the people he was closest to,infact force them to go to school. Nigeria's problem would have greatly lessened.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Buhari Is Yet To Act On NJC’s Recommendation / Keyamo: APC Will Win 2023 Presidency Irrespective Of The Zone It Picks Candidate / Who Are The Top Ten Most Tribal Nairaland Members?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.