Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

Life In The Usa As A Student. - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In The Usa As A Student. (140205 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rowlandoo: 2:26pm On Mar 09, 2012
@Davidylan

please house anyone with idea of how good to get an homestay, AND also can i turn my international student grant meant for my boarding nd feeding toward my tuition , if i decided to stay with homestay families off campus .

thanks all advice and tips is highly appreciated .
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Can2012: 2:59pm On Mar 09, 2012
imperiouxx:

@can2012,

You don't need the beginning of your second post. No one is humiliating you. Before my first interview, I was humiliated just for helping others whereas I haven't gotten my visa then and at the end I got denied. How would you feel if you happened to be in that shoe? Still I wasn't deterred. Listen bro, to succeed in life, you've gotta experience a lot. Do more research yourself I bet it with you, you won't regret it.

Thank you Imperiouxx
I know your story very well but I don't feel humiliated just loathe braggards who are filled with self-importance and unfortunately couldn't let his comments slide. I'm done with the young man now though.

It's not like you spoon-fed me either but you talked with experience and maturity and that is appreciated.
I'm still on the research, sent my documents to WES for evaluation sef, not because any school has asked for it but because it prevented me from taking some shots in the past. Will most likely miss fall of 2012 because I made up my mind late so looking towards next year.
Thank you once again dude, you've always been a helper.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by KayDee4: 3:06pm On Mar 09, 2012
@Can2012
funding availability varies with different states, different schools and different courses. Maybe you should state what your course of study is, then people can advice you about the best options WRT schools, funding, scholarships and a lot of other factors. You should take the GMAT too, it might just boost your chances.

true, there's always some hidden information about opportunities, things you may not see on websites and someone who has been down that road will tell you how best to go about it.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Can2012: 4:52pm On Mar 09, 2012
Thank you Kay-Dee

At the end of this month, I'll register for the GMAT and take the exams mid April by God's grace, started preparing.

In the beginning I was leaning towards an MBA but now I feel maybe an Msc would be the best place to start. Finance or Intl. Business. Too many ppl in that field right?
The STEM areas, I learnt, have more opportunities but. . .

States: apparently Texas has a lot of funding, so that'll be a good place. Also Maryland. I don't have preferences per se as long as it isn't Alaska (I nor wan freeze).
Those hidden opportunities could be very hidden indeed and that's why I asked for heads up earlier.

Thank you
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by wehla(m): 11:20am On Mar 11, 2012
Good experiences and advice from everyone
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by wehla(m): 12:00pm On Mar 11, 2012
Great Change
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by dbaba2: 8:21pm On Mar 12, 2012
Hello all,

I know I shouldn't do this but I just need some home info about the University of Rhode Island. I know its the smallest state in d States and maybe most Nigerians do not tend to study in the university but I'd love to hear from anyone who might have studied there or visited the state. How is life there, what to expect, standard of living, funding, etc.
I have my reasons for choosing the school with respect to the course (masters degree) I want to study so any useful info would be welcomed. thanks
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 7:07am On Mar 13, 2012
[quote author=Can2012]Thank you Kay-Dee

At the end of this month, I'll register for the GMAT and take the exams mid April by God's grace, started preparing.

In the beginning I was leaning towards an MBA but now I feel maybe an Msc would be the best place to start. Finance or Intl. Business. Too many ppl in that field right?
The STEM areas, I learnt, have more opportunities but. . .

States: apparently Texas has a lot of funding, so that'll be a good place. Also Maryland. I don't have preferences per se as long as it isn't Alaska (I nor wan freeze).
Those hidden opportunities could be very hidden indeed and that's why I asked for heads up earlier.

Thank you[/quote
I intend takin GRE too.. Note dat dos exams shuld nt be rushed.. Since u said u takin end of d month.. Hope u re prepared?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by cophild: 8:14am On Mar 16, 2012
Hey guys i got good news...My school has finally decided to give us documents to apply for our SSN o and i ve gone to apply for mine in the Social Security office, dey said it ll tk about 2 weeks, it ll b with me soon mk i begin file for tax and apply for other important things i need...U wont believe to use certain bank services without d SSN was even wahala...Thank God for me o... Woohoo...Now I can face other things!
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by imperiouxx(m): 9:25am On Mar 16, 2012
cophild: Hey guys i got good news...My school has finally decided to give us documents to apply for our SSN o and i ve gone to apply for mine in the Social Security office, dey said it ll tk about 2 weeks, it ll b with me soon mk i begin file for tax and apply for other important things i need...U wont believe to use certain bank services without d SSN was even wahala...Thank God for me o... Woohoo...Now I can face other things!

1) With your SSN you can't work off campus.
2) Wells fargo don't require your SSN before you open account with them.
3) You can't file for tax now until a year but with your SSN your tax will be going to your tax payer file.
4) Nothing big about the SSN for now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 5:34pm On Mar 16, 2012
Hey guys, is it possible to get scholarship funds while being a Graduate assistant? Or any additional funds apart from your pay..
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by cophild: 5:53pm On Mar 16, 2012
@ impe baba i feel u...I knw I cant work with the SSN but let ur guys feel U in on the SSN if U got any of dem in d U.S and u ll realise how important it is...Try roll with the right crowd bro and dont dull in Yankee o... D use of a SSN is enormous...Open ur eyes bro...Cheers

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by imperiouxx(m): 7:39am On Mar 17, 2012
@uberino,

Yes, it's possible but your GA will screen you off in the midst of those without any funding. Still try your luck.

@cophild,

Tell me what I don't know mehn. I was told getting Walmart night shift job sef say school fit know at the long running.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 11:04pm On Mar 18, 2012
Thanks imperiouxx
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rowlandoo: 9:06pm On Mar 23, 2012
@house

What do I do after arriving do I trll my scholl official to come pick me up. Or what do I do
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by imperiouxx(m): 8:05am On Mar 24, 2012
rowlandoo: @house

What do I do after arriving do I trll my scholl official to come pick me up. Or what do I do

Yes from the airport.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Square65: 3:00am On Mar 25, 2012
hello
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by oyewolejos(m): 5:52am On Mar 25, 2012
cophild: @ impe baba i feel u...I knw I cant work with the SSN but let ur guys feel U in on the SSN if U got any of dem in d U.S and u ll realise how important it is...Try roll with the right crowd bro and dont dull in Yankee o... D use of a SSN is enormous...Open ur eyes bro...Cheers

True talk and i like the way u let it out. CODED

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by kacytunde: 5:59pm On Mar 25, 2012
Hello guys,

My wife intend to visit me and go back to nigeria just for two months because she need to do her NYSC. Does she need to apply for F2 visa or Visiting visa since she will not stay long before she return. My question is just that can visiting also work for wife of F1 instead of F2.

2 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by kacytunde: 6:21pm On Mar 25, 2012
I think localphone.com for international call is very cheap. U can try it, its 6.5cent per minute to Nigeria frm US. They give 5min free even if u re not subscribing, just for you to test their service. That is what I am using.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rowlandoo: 9:59am On Mar 26, 2012
@House

Please I need urgent assistant on what to do fast , my skool gave me international student grant but my counselor said I will be asked to pay what I owe for the first semester before I-20 is been sent to me, and eeveryone knows paying part of the tuition doesn't not appraise to your visa issuance , so please does anyone one know what and how I could tell them to send my I-20 as I have book an appointment already .

Please I wait for your foremost help
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by bayfam(m): 2:03pm On Mar 26, 2012
Nice one to everybody,very educative n insightive thread but some pple shld learn not to comment with Pride, no one knows all,even will need to show love to change pple's mind.we shld just keep it up...i know my pple,d courage n fire is there in all, to stay on top outside dia country, but here in naija pple work hard wit less pay n if such pple get little job out there they do it with dia might. I believe Nigerians r not lazy pple atall.God bless u all 4ur updates. Thanks
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by kacytunde: 5:22pm On Mar 26, 2012
imperiouxx please help me answer this,

My wife intend to visit me and go back to nigeria just for two months because she need to do her NYSC. Does she need to apply for F2 visa or Visiting visa since she will not stay long before she return. My question is just that can visiting also work for wife of F1 instead of F2.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 5:37pm On Mar 26, 2012
@ uberino : I would like to contact you; how do I do so?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by imperiouxx(m): 3:00am On Mar 27, 2012
kacytunde: imperiouxx please help me answer this,

Mind gving me ur phone in my imperiouxx mail box and I call? We might need to say one or two things physically.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Olami1224: 12:13pm On Mar 27, 2012
Thank you all for the posts, it's been really helpful.

Please i need anyone who can help me with getting Admission from any Good University in USA. I need procedures and School that are not much expensive.

Please I'll appreciate any information that can help in any way. (sodiqonas@yahoo.com)

Warm Regards

Olami
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2012
kacytunde: Hello guys,

@Kacy, if your wife's passport has your surname and she has documents showing that you're married, I'll advise she goes for F2 and that will save you a lot of stress. Try to fund your account for the period as evidence that you can take care of her when comes (she will also need a sponsor from home if her account is not sufficient) and you'll need to get a letter from your school. That will guarantee her a multiple entry even if she wants to go/come back at anytime. Visiting visa may restrict her to single entry.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rowlandoo: 2:16pm On Mar 31, 2012
@ ALL

Since there is no one to respond to my last post I guess everyone is a jambite on this thread lol .
Please everyone its time to make a right decision and I want people
in the house to help me make a right one too , I have 2 admission now , the first tuition is $25000 per year and was not giving any scholarship or student grant but was told there is going to be available student grants for international student in the second year . MY second school is costing me $38000 but I was giving internationals student grant marking 50% off from the total cost of attendance . Now I that I have interview in June I am wondering on which I-20 to go with for my interview that will earnestly approve me for visa. . And also the first school is affordable for me but since I have been denied visa 3 times I don't know which one should go with . Please evryone just help me make right decision , both people that already gone tru this and wise NLDRS
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 2:51pm On Mar 31, 2012
rowlandoo: @ ALL

Since there is no one to respond to my last post I guess everyone is a jambite on this thread lol .
Please everyone its time to make a right decision and I want people
in the house to help me make a right one too , I have 2 admission now , the first tuition is $25000 per year and was not giving any scholarship or student grant but was told there is going to be available student grants for international student in the second year . MY second school is costing me $38000 but I was giving internationals student grant marking 50% off from the total cost of attendance . Now I that I have interview in June I am wondering on which I-20 to go with for my interview that will earnestly approve me for visa. . And also the first school is affordable for me but since I have been denied visa 3 times I don't know which one should go with . Please evryone just help me make right decision , both people that already gone tru this and wise NLDRS

I really can't state to a certainty what the right choice here is, but I would probably take the take the second option if it were a short term programme, such as a Master's degree. Since the school would cover half of the cost while you can take care of the remainder; however, if it is a long term one I'm not quite sure. Because under the first option(availability of grants), you have to be very careful because that is what is usually being said, but the reality on ground is that these grants are very limited as there is a preference for Americans over foreigners.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rowlandoo: 2:59pm On Mar 31, 2012
OzReal:

I really can't state to a certainty what the right choice here is, but I would probably take the take the second option if it were a short term programme, such as a Master's degree. Since the school would cover half of the cost while you can take care of the remainder; however, if it is a long term one I'm not quite sure. Because under the first option(availability of grants), you have to be very careful because that is what is usually being said, but the reality on ground is that these grants are very limited as there is a preference for Americans over foreigners.

Thanks brouv , am going for a 4year program and the second skool that gave 50% off total cost. Sai they will keep it with for 5years provided am keeping 2.0 Gpa , how is that hard to get . Am majoring in business admin & managemnt. Do you mean the first skool that promised student grant in the second year might not make it up to me .

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (29) (Reply)

Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. / Top 10 African Countries With The Finest Men / Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.