Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Life In The Usa As A Student. - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In The Usa As A Student. (140201 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by tanimola22: 8:48pm On Mar 31, 2012
freemon50: am a final year student, will be thru by June this year, can I do my masters on scholarship without GRE? Pls if yes or no explain other means. Thanks

I don't know if your question has been responded to because I have not gone through all the posts. But, I would like to ask, what other way can you signal your intellectual superiority to your preferred schools to make them give you scholarships without the GRE?

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by tanimola22: 8:58pm On Mar 31, 2012
obowunmi: I had a different experience since my papa na politician:

I am the second born
I went to a school upstate New York , after attending the prestigious British School of Lome
I made lots of friends, most of them were white
I drank a lot, had loads of sex, but NEVER did drugs
I spent money like a mad man
I traveled around the world, and tried to spend my weekend in a different state
Most of the kids I hung out with were wealthy as well so I fit right in

I lived on campus but during my junior and senior year, I lived in a frat house and in five star hotel rooms,
People asked my for money, and I gave it freely. cry cry cry

I DID not own a car but had friends who did, and a phone call to a limousine company was not far away
I made friends with everyone, white, black, pink, asian, south asian,

I had fun. Finished my MBA in New York City at Columbia University now I'm back in Nigeria. I miss my college days angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Guy, I am just seeing your post. From bottom to top, you had it really nice. Enjoy O, and hope you won't pay for all these enjoyments someday wink.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by tanimola22: 9:05pm On Mar 31, 2012
birdman: To get through 4 years of college, you are going to have to come up with ~60k over that period. Im really concerned that some "good" advice being peddled here will still mislead a few folks into taking the leap. For real, go to Canada, you'll thank me when 6 yrs down the line you have a job with no school debt and Canadian green card and your paddy in yankee is forced to enroll for PhD because he finished in the middle of a recession, has no job, no money, subsisting on cold noodles at the ripe age of 30.

Your points are strong and well noted. I hope prospects are listening and reading.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Square65: 12:16am On Apr 01, 2012
kacytunde: Hello guys,

My wife intend to visit me and go back to nigeria just for two months because she need to do her NYSC. Does she need to apply for F2 visa or Visiting visa since she will not stay long before she return. My question is just that can visiting also work for wife of F1 instead of F2.

phy:

@Kacy, 1) if your wife's passport has your surname and 2) she has documents showing that you're married, 3) I'll advise she goes for F2 and that will save you a lot of stress. 4) Try to fund your account for the period as evidence that you can take care of her when comes 5) (she will also need a sponsor from home if her account is not sufficient) 6) and you'll need to get a letter from your school. 7) That will guarantee her a multiple entry even if she wants to go/come back at anytime. 8 ) Visiting visa may restrict her to single entry.

Kacy, I make the below additional comments on Phy's response from my own experience

1) your wife's passport doesn't have to bear your surname

2) yea of course you have your marriage docs, right?

3) Gbam! easier and better except if you didnt declare her as your wife when filling the ds160

4) Very key or else see 5)

5) a) If the funds on her i-20 (essentially yours) are enough to support her per your sch's minimum requirement she does not need any extra sponsor.
b) otherwise she has to provide her own proof she can support her stay either by herself or via an extra sponsor.
c) Either way, it's advisable for her to have a little something to show personally, especially if she's working.
d) if she's not working no need for personal

6) Not a bad idea but not necessary

7) Not true. Multiple entry is guaranteed, of course, with or without a letter from your sch. once she gets F2 her status will be good as yours except for the fact that she can't go to sch or work unless she changes to F1 or something else.

8 ) That's just it!

If you did not declare her as your wife in ds160, then it's understandable u wanna consider another type of visa for her. (Note that F2 is still possible here, so long as you are married)

If you declared her as your wife, then there's almost no issue just make available the basic necessary supporting docs (which might not be asked for) and she has over 90% chance of having a smooth ride at the embassy if she applies for F2. Go for F2.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by darellrivers: 12:51am On Apr 01, 2012
I just got into my top choice University and got part scholarship - for Masters! Please i really do need advice on how i can get more funding as the tuition scholarship was just $10k and i still need about $30k which i cant afford now! Should i contact the graduate office, financial aid office, international office or the Program director?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 1:03am On Apr 01, 2012
darellrivers: I just got into my top choice University and got part scholarship - for Masters! Please i really do need advice on how i can get more funding as the tuition scholarship was just $10k and i still need about $30k which i cant afford now! Should i contact the graduate office, financial aid office, international office or the Program director?

Contact all the those offices you listed above(in bold); they would all provide useful and accurate information.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by tanimola22: 2:23am On Apr 01, 2012
darellrivers: I just got into my top choice University and got part scholarship - for Masters! Please i really do need advice on how i can get more funding as the tuition scholarship was just $10k and i still need about $30k which i cant afford now! Should i contact the graduate office, financial aid office, international office or the Program director?

And also see which philanthropist you can contact back home. A guy used this strategy and got sponsored by one.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rowlandoo: 7:58am On Apr 01, 2012
Please more advise to my post
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by darellrivers: 11:09am On Apr 01, 2012
Thanks a whole lot. I will contact all three offices.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 11:36am On Apr 01, 2012
darellrivers: Thanks a whole lot. I will contact all three offices. I got into three schools- 2 in the UK- Oxford University, University college London and 1 in the US- University of Notre Dame (the only one i applied to. I love the looks of the Prog at NotreDame but its quite expensive! I'm thinking of going to the UK instead- Whatdya think?

Those three school are excellent schools, and I mean really top notch based on their overall reputations. However, the ultimate decision rests with you; the decision should be carefully weighted based on all available options such as financial aid, programme, and future prospects. By and large, weigh all your available options before choosing because in all honesty those are all top tier schools by most measures and standards anywhere in the world. Good luck!
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 11:38am On Apr 01, 2012
rowlandoo: Please more advise to my post

I honestly don't know more than I've suggested, but I'm sure others would chip in with theirs(opinions e.t.c) very soon.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by darellrivers: 4:53pm On Apr 01, 2012
Thanx OZreal, I didnt even know NOTREDAME was top notch until i applied to the school, but i'm leaning towards going there. I'm in a health related field and i think the US is the place to be for us.. especially since i'm going to be applying for a Phd afterwards! but having an OXFORD certificate sounds very tempting. Most folks in Nigeria dont know anything about Notre Dame even though it is a highly regarded school in the US. Thank u so much! Someone on Nairaland helped me proofread my SOP. I really appreciate what you guys are doing here
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 6:40pm On Apr 01, 2012
^^^
Yeah I feel you. Having an OXFORD certificate is really tempting, but like you I didn't even know about Notre Dame till I got here. Overall, that school is highly regarded in this country(really top notch). Anyway, good luck with whatever decision you finally make.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by rowlandoo: 8:31am On Apr 02, 2012
Thanks ozreal ,

Is it possible to get an external student grant while studying .
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by bukahands(m): 12:32pm On Apr 02, 2012
Good day
I am going over to the US soon for studies, do I use my gtbank domicilary account with their dollar card or do I need to open a new account in the US which is more expensive?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by yankison(m): 1:28pm On Apr 02, 2012
@all people currently in the uSA ,

Can anyone help me in paying my sevis fee
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by kacytunde: 2:16pm On Apr 02, 2012
@ imperiouxx

Please, let me have your email address so that I can send you my phone number. Thank for your assistance all the time.I am sorry for my late response.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by omega25red(m): 2:27pm On Apr 02, 2012
bukahands: Good day
I am going over to the US soon for studies, do I use my gtbank domicilary account with their dollar card or do I need to open a new account in the US which is more expensive?
it actually doesn't cost you anything to open a bank account in the U.S (from my experience) you might need to have a minimum balance though because some accounts will be charged a monthly fee if you dont maintain a certain minimum balance.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by omega25red(m): 2:36pm On Apr 02, 2012
rowlandoo: Thanks ozreal ,

sorry to cut in, but it is possible to get those student grants but it's very difficult to get. This is because you and about over 100k other students will be applying for the same grants and most of these grants want an essay written. Also there a tons of sites on google that you will find that will have endless listings of those grants. the trick is to apply apply apply and be careful when applying because you might also get suckered into signing up for services you dont want. Glad im done with school pheww
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by yankison(m): 4:56pm On Apr 02, 2012
omega25red: sorry to cut in, but it is possible to get those student grants but it's very difficult to get. This is because you and about over 100k other students will be applying for the same grants and most of these grants want an essay written. Also there a tons of sites on google that you will find that will have endless listings of those grants. the trick is to apply apply apply and be careful when applying because you might also get suckered into signing up for services you dont want. Glad im done with school pheww

Men thanks , did you just comple your UG or something . Am going for UG and my tuition fee is 25k but am sure can't get all from hom maybe half that is why am looking into this Grant . And do you have to pay each semester or you pay full year tution all at once . Thanks for more info
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by bukahands(m): 7:27pm On Apr 02, 2012
Thanks for d info. Please I have about $10k for miscellenous things apart from tuition like rent, phone settling down etc till I get a job while I study I don't know if that would b enough thanks
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by OzReal(m): 8:00pm On Apr 02, 2012
omega25red: sorry to cut in, but it is possible to get those student grants but it's very difficult to get. This is because you and about over 100k other students will be applying for the same grants and most of these grants want an essay written. Also there a tons of sites on google that you will find that will have endless listings of those grants. the trick is to apply apply apply and be careful when applying because you might also get suckered into signing up for services you dont want. Glad im done with school pheww
rowlandoo: Thanks ozreal ,

@ rowlandoo : Omega25red has answered your question. It is possible, but very competitive to get.

@ Omega25red: Thanks for answering.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by omega25red(m): 11:51pm On Apr 02, 2012
yankison:

Men thanks , did you just comple your UG or something . Am going for UG and my tuition fee is 25k but am sure can't get all from hom maybe half that is why am looking into this Grant . And do you have to pay each semester or you pay full year tution all at once . Thanks for more info
i graduated in 2000 and since the i have gone back to school for professional training so i didnt just finish.

you should start applying now even before you get to the u.s because there are no garuntees. apply for as many as you can and start thinking of jobs to also help pay but seriosly that battle will be hard. you should try to get all your money settled before you come because things can spin out of control quick here.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by imperiouxx(m): 11:57pm On Apr 02, 2012
bukahands: Good day

When you get to US, look for Wells Fargo Bank. Thats all. Little initial deposit (even with $12), no need of your SSN. It's the new comers first choice bank.

kacytunde: @ imperiouxx

Please, let me have your email address so that I can send you my phone number. Thank for your assistance all the time.I am sorry for my late response.

imperiouxx at yahoo dot com

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by omega25red(m): 11:58pm On Apr 02, 2012
bukahands: Thanks for d info. Please I have about $10k for miscellenous things apart from tuition like rent, phone settling down etc till I get a job while I study I don't know if that would b enough thanks
well 10k is more than enough to open an account you shouldn't open the account with cash because they might want to give you trouble like contacting the i.r.s and questioning where you go the money from or what you did to get it. so get travellers checks or somthing. make sure you research banks well too with all their stupid hidden fees.

what state are you going to by the way? in washington dc area i would say bank of america would be good and in NYC area chase bank.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by bukahands(m): 8:10am On Apr 03, 2012
Thank you all for ur speedy replies. I am heading to chicago
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by yankison(m): 4:45pm On Apr 03, 2012
omega25red: i graduated in 2000 and since the i have gone back to school for professional training so i didnt just finish.

you should start applying now even before you get to the u.s because there are no garuntees. apply for as many as you can and start thinking of jobs to also help pay but seriosly that battle will be hard. you should try to get all your money settled before you come because things can spin out of control quick here.

Thanks your contributions brouv highly appreciated . You see the skool gave me student grant of 12k out of 38k so I have 27k to battle with now am thinking of stayin off Campus ,how is that hard maybe homestay ,how mch shud I bugdjet for off campus living . If can live off campus then my expenses is less 9k again leaving me with 18k . Pls let me know what u tink , staying on campus or get homestay around campus .
Thanks don't find it hard to explain brouv . I really appreciate , also pls can give me some links u applied too before and am I going to be needing ACT to apply coz I do have a ACT report
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by omega25red(m): 12:45am On Apr 04, 2012
yankison:

Thanks your contributions brouv highly appreciated . You see the skool gave me student grant of 12k out of 38k so I have 27k to battle with now am thinking of stayin off Campus ,how is that hard maybe homestay ,how mch shud I bugdjet for off campus living . If can live off campus then my expenses is less 9k again leaving me with 18k . Pls let me know what u tink , staying on campus or get homestay around campus .
Thanks don't find it hard to explain brouv . I really appreciate , also pls can give me some links u applied too before and am I going to be needing ACT to apply coz I do have a ACT report
um off campus living can be expensive because depending on the area rent can be crazy. you also have to consider transportation, paying utilities light light (24hrs and everyone must pay) water in some places food clothing etc

if you live on campus, some schools might provide food or discounted food you already pay for all the fees so no extras and you get to really enjoy what it means to go away to college like the campus parties all the girls all the booze the life long friends you can make etc

if you are hell bent on living off campus one way to have a quick idea of what apartments might cost is to go on craislist/chicago there in the rental section you will get a brief idea of how much apartments are renting for. anyway good luck
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by yankison(m): 1:10pm On Apr 10, 2012
omega25red: um off campus living can be expensive because depending on the area rent can be crazy. you also have to consider transportation, paying utilities light light (24hrs and everyone must pay) water in some places food clothing etc

if you live on campus, some schools might provide food or discounted food you already pay for all the fees so no extras and you get to really enjoy what it means to go away to college like the campus parties all the girls all the booze the life long friends you can make etc

if you are hell bent on living off campus one way to have a quick idea of what apartments might cost is to go on craislist/chicago there in the rental section you will get a brief idea of how much apartments are renting for. anyway good luck

@ all who can contribute

Is it good to apply for a student loan. , how possible is it while am still in Nigeria . Please let me know .

Thank you
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by omega25red(m): 1:40pm On Apr 10, 2012
yankison:

@ all who can contribute

Is it good to apply for a student loan. , how possible is it while am still in Nigeria . Please let me know .
Thank you
That might be more than difficult. First off you will need a social security number so that bank can chase you for the rest of your life if you default on the loans, secondly since you are originally from Nigeria, which means you have absolutely no credit history which might make it impossible for a loan. Furthermore if for what ever reason they find you a lender who would afford you the loan, the interest rate would be off the charts meaning e.g you borrow $100,000 at 16% - 23% interest you will end up paying back almost double the original amount you borrowed.

Best thing to do would be to either get a loan from Nigeria already or if you have family here, one of them can co-sign a loan for you or better yet take the loan for you because again you will need a social security number.

i might be wrong though about needing the social security number undecided
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by yankison(m): 2:33pm On Apr 10, 2012
omega25red: That might be more than difficult. First off you will need a social security number so that bank can chase you for the rest of your life if you default on the loans, secondly since you are originally from Nigeria, which means you have absolutely no credit history which might make it impossible for a loan. Furthermore if for what ever reason they find you a lender who would afford you the loan, the interest rate would be off the charts meaning e.g you borrow $100,000 at 16% - 23% interest you will end up paying back almost double the original amount you borrowed.

Best thing to do would be to either get a loan from Nigeria already or if you have family here, one of them can co-sign a loan for you or better yet take the loan for you because again you will need a social security number.

You are God sent , with the school that gave me a scholarship of 1ek out of 38k , can iuse the loan to balance the tuition . Or better still can a white man who is my friend , a Uscitizen be a co signer for the loan . And yes you are right on the co signer most that doesn' reuire it don't support Niherians . Been on reasearch my whole week . Pls tell me if u had any loan or grants , would like you to give me some links as well .

Thank you
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 10, 2012
omega25red: That might be more than difficult. First off you will need a social security number so that bank can chase you for the rest of your life if you default on the loans, secondly since you are originally from Nigeria, which means you have absolutely no credit history which might make it impossible for a loan. Furthermore if for what ever reason they find you a lender who would afford you the loan, the interest rate would be off the charts meaning e.g you borrow $100,000 at 16% - 23% interest you will end up paying back almost double the original amount you borrowed.

you are right about needing the SSN. The only option to getting a loan from naija is through a private facility and even that is very difficult. That doesnt even include the seriously high interest rate involved. Best is to look for alternative funding sources in naija.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply)

Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. / Top 10 African Countries With The Finest Men / Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.