Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,321 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:47 AM

The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) (91626 Views)

OOGUN KIRIJI -the World’s Longest Ethnic Civil War / KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group / Pastors Wars - I Will Not Worship In TB Joshua’s Church, Says Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Africaman: 1:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
Tony Spike: This is a recent article from Punch Newspaper on the Kiriji Wars. It is dated September 16th, 2013.

Can someone confirm that the information in red actually happened in 1886? I thought the treaties between the Ibadan armies and the Ekitiparapo armies happened in 1893...
I believe there were a series of treaties from 1886 until the 1890s. Different Yoruba Traditional states might have signed at different times.

Check it out in Revd Samuel Johnson's book 'History of The Yorubas' :
https://archive.org/stream/historyofyorubas00john#page/n13/mode/2up

Go to page 651, 'Treaties and Agreements'.

ciao
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sloan: 2:55pm On Oct 26, 2013
Onlytruth:

hehehe! They think it is that sticks and stones hide and seek chasing games they were playing with themselves calling it "war". I dey laugh.
Aboki has been itching to thoroughly colonize their @sses and dip that Koran in the Lagos lagoon.
War ko, rat race ni. undecided

A typical ibo man and bigot! If in your hallucination you think Hausas hate the Yorubas, what do you think their position is with ibos? If not that Gowon was Head of State and Awolowo was his deputy (2 conscionable men), and suppose it was a core northerner, ibos surrender of biafra would never have been accepted! Looking back on what the average Hausa man will do to detonate bombs where buses are bringing people into their land, imagine how they would never have wasted the opportunity to clear up people like you from existence. BTW, Ibos never fought more than 1 war in their existence and the only one they fought (biafra, 42 years go), they lost most catastrophically with the highest casualties, second only to WW 2. No hate, but I had to tell you the blank truth!

6 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by MAYOWAAK: 11:02pm On Oct 19, 2014
OAM4J:
Our dear historians,

Another Yoruba war I would like to know more about is Ogun Adubi. Any information.

When I was younger, I used to like the song: Ogun Adubi to to ju mi ja . . ." i still remember part of the song. . . very funny especially the part "Iya re n be lo bi ewure, baba re nbelo bi igala"  cheesy

Bi e ba n gbo gbagada gbagada (band repeats)
Bi e ba n gbo gbogodo gbogodo (band repeats)
E ma ya s’otun, e ma ya s’osi (band repeats)
Ile olowo n’oro ngba lo (band repeats)
Ogun adubi s’oju re ja (band repeats)
Ogun adubi le lopo lopo (band repeats)
Iwo nikan n’odagba shoja mefa (band repeats)
Oro o wo mo, o pada seyin (band repeats)
Opada s’eyin, o wa n fi ewe bora (band repeats)
Iya re nke lo bi ewure (band repeats)
Baba re nke lo bi aparo (band repeats)
Iwona n be lo bi igala (band repeats)
Omi ireke l’en bu sebe (band repeats)
L’en bu sebe, l’etun fin r’omo (band repeats)

O o o oya o, eni omo wu, oya kalo o (band repeats)
Oya o o, eni omo wu, oya kalo eh (band repeats)
Oya o o, eni omo wu, oya kalo eh eh eh eh (band repeats)
Oya o o, eni omo wu, oya kalo eh eh ye eh (band repeats)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCql2yWnASU

4 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by oluwasola5454: 7:36pm On Apr 06, 2015
I READ WHAT YOU COMPILED ON EKITI GENERALS DURING THE KIRIJI WARS. THE LIST OMITTED OLUGBOSUN (FAJEMBOLA) OF ILUPEJU EKITI WHO FOUGHT ALONG WITH OGENGBE, FABUNMI, AND OTHERS. THERE IS A PICTURE ON EKITI STATE SITE ONLINE SHOWING FOUR GENERALS OF EKITI. THE PICTURE HAD NO NAMES. BUT ABOUT FOUR YEARS AGO, THE NATION PUBLISHED THE SAME PICTURE WITH ALL NAMES LISTED. THE THREE I REMEMBER NOW AS LISTED BY THE NATION WERE OGEDENGBE, FABUNMI, OLUGBOSUN, THE FOURTH PERSON WAS LISTED BUT I CANT REMEMBER THE NAME. IT WILL BE IN THE NATION NEWSPAPER ARCHIVES. HISTORY SHOULD BE WELL DOCUMENTED. THIS IS WHY EKITI RECOGNISED FABUNMI AND OGEDENGBE WITHOUT DUE RECOGNITION FOR OLUGBOSUN (FAJEMBOLA). THIS TITLE OF OLUGBOSUN IS A CHIEFTANCY TITLE IN ILUPEJU EKITI TODAY. KINDLY FILL THIS GAP.

4 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 5:05am On Aug 18, 2015
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 6:26am On Aug 18, 2015
Ufeolorun:
So our forefathers were basically kicking one another's bu.tt.

o ga!

I thought the Akokos were involved too? Anyone?

no way they wouldnt have been.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 6:30am On Aug 18, 2015
dayokanu:
Should we have a Nairaland version of Kiriji wars where i would be kicking the Ekiti parapo armies butts.

Who would be the Ogedengbe, the Fabunmi, Sodeke, the Kurunmi, the Latosa, the Ogunmola etc

Ektbear might end up being the leader of the Ekiti army on NL or Ufeolorun, you want to challenge him?

Who is the Ijesha to represent Ogedengbe etc?

Ileke can replace Ektbear.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 6:32am On Aug 18, 2015
ektbear:

Some of this stuff is kind of confusing to me. How did we end up in Ekiti State (or I guess the old Ondo State) rather than the old Oyo State?

probably language based.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 6:52am On Aug 18, 2015
9jacrip:
Andrew Uweh, I will advise you get better works on Yoruba history - check with Toyin Falola.
Samuel Johnson's work is not 'scholarly' and filled with 'intriguing' myths/oral tradition.

Why not try Ground work of Nigerian History by Obaro Ikime and many other co-authors.

strange post.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 7:02am On Aug 18, 2015
delpee:

At least i have understood how and why Yorubas learnt to be more patient (the ignorant see it as cowardice), more accomodating, fight more diplomatically and strategically

I think Yorubas have always been like that though.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 7:25am On Aug 18, 2015
shymmexx:
@Negro_Ntns
@Katsumoto

I have learnt a lot about Yoruba history from you guys

I never knew we were this great - I always had the impression that the greatest civilizations in West Africa were Ghana, Mali and Songhay

Thanks guys

seesaw.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 7:59am On Aug 18, 2015
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 8:07am On Aug 18, 2015
IjogzK:
This thread is still on shocked

yes.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by zimoni(f): 8:21am On Aug 18, 2015
This is the best thread I've ever read in this forum.

God Bless Prof Katsumoto.

Proudly Ijesha.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by pazienza(m): 8:42am On Aug 18, 2015
Sloan:

A typical ibo man and bigot! If in your hallucination you think Hausas hate the Yorubas, what do you think their position is with ibos? If not that Gowon was Head of State and Awolowo was his deputy (2 conscionable men), and suppose it was a core northerner, ibos surrender of biafra would never have been accepted! Looking back on what the average Hausa man will do to detonate bombs where buses are bringing people into their land, imagine how they would never have wasted the opportunity to clear up people like you from existence. BTW, Ibos never fought more than 1 war in their existence and the only one they fought (biafra, 42 years go), they lost most catastrophically with the highest casualties, second only to WW 2. No hate, but I had to tell you the blank truth!

Kiriji is not a war, it's a fatal tribal wrestling matches amongst the Yorubas. No apologies, but that's the truth.
I will even rate the Nupe war against the Yorubas that saw the capture of Oyo Ile capital of the Oyo empire by the Nupes, higher than your wrestling matches.

Biafra stood the might of USSR and British backed Nigerian Army for 3years. Now that's war.

3 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by orisa37: 9:38am On Aug 18, 2015
That was the war between the "Ara-okes" and the "Ara-okos".
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 2:49pm On Aug 18, 2015
tunnytox:
subscribing

Contributions?
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 3:09pm On Aug 18, 2015
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 3:18pm On Aug 18, 2015
. . . . . . . .
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiaT: 5:34pm On Aug 19, 2015
. . . . . . . . . .
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiaT: 6:38pm On Aug 19, 2015
.. . . . . .
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiaT: 8:21pm On Aug 19, 2015
. . . . . . . .
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Nobody: 10:21pm On Aug 19, 2015
pazienza:

Kiriji is not a war, it's a fatal tribal wrestling matches amongst the Yorubas. No apologies, but that's the truth.
I will even rate the Nupe war against the Yorubas that saw the capture of Oyo Ile capital of the Oyo empire by the Nupes, higher than your wrestling matches.

Biafra stood the might of USSR and British backed Nigerian Army for 3years. Now that's war.

But what's your business with this tho? It wasn't fought on your land, there's no mention of ibo in the write up. Its strictly a Yoruba war yet you've made the most comments here. Sigh!

4 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Maghan37: 8:02am On Aug 20, 2015
RPG92 & Tonyspikes thanks 4 ur articles I acquired a lot of knowledge.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2015
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpiander: 5:31pm On Aug 20, 2015
. . . . . . . . . .
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ayosmiles(m): 10:53pm On May 26, 2016
Great thread
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by lawani: 10:09pm On Jul 15, 2016
Nice and informative thread. Kudos to Katsumoto and others. I am Ijesa but I salute Basorun Oluyole, Ogunmola, Ibikunle and Latosisa for their vision of Yoruba unity. It is sad that it never materialized. It is incumbent on us, the 21st century Yoruba to unite our lands and people in West Africa under one government. Yoruba, Ewe and Fon have been together for centuries and we are all Ife people without controversy. Same culture and etc. Unity should be what we should focus. We must unite to start contributing our quota fully to human advancement. May God help us.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by olajorn(m): 9:53am On Mar 22, 2017
I'm still reading grin grin
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by olajorn(m): 9:54am On Mar 22, 2017
lawani:
Nice and informative thread. Kudos to Katsumoto and others. I am Ijesa but I salute Basorun Oluyole, Ogunmola, Ibikunle and Latosisa for their vision of Yoruba unity. It is sad that it never materialized. It is incumbent on us, the 21st century Yoruba to unite our lands and people in West Africa under one government. Yoruba, Ewe and Fon have been together for centuries and we are all Ife people without controversy. Same culture and etc. Unity should be what we should focus. We must unite to start contributing our quota fully to human advancement. May God help us.
eem I'm Ijesa also

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by isalegan2: 4:23am On Nov 14, 2017
isalegan2:

shocked  shocked   angry  Good to know.

You are an American Imperialist Capitalist anti-Monarchical anti-Traditionalist so-and-so!  angry  Don't even let me start with you. grin grin grin

Didn't we used to be buds?  lol. 

A man with a gun.
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGL446lkUFmC3tMt1JWmZL3MNl1EZPjFakjix1DPcRMOIzJvCQ[/img]

A girl with a sword  grin

This has nothing to do with Kiriji war but. . . there is a development with the fencing lady above. 5 years later: First Barbie doll with hijab, inspired by her!

https://jezebel.com/barbies-newest-model-is-olympic-fencer-ibtihaj-muhammad-1820397202

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Senator Dino Melaye's Outfit To AMVCA 2020 (photo) / DSS Arrests Suspended CBN Gov, Godwin Emefiele / Hausas Asking Igbos To Leave: See What Some Northern Youths Are Saying Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.