Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,047 members, 7,825,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash (9181 Views)

Yoruba And Hausa Clash In Mile 12 Lagos / ‘Prayer Man’ Tries To Revive Abubakar Audu, Confusion In Kogi / Three Killed, 30 Vehicles Burnt In Yoruba-hausa Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by ak47mann(m): 5:51am On Feb 10, 2012
A violent clash between Hausa traders and some Igbo youths left many wounded in Asaba, Delta State on Thursday.

Over 200 northerners, most of them soaked with blood, have taken refuge at the B Division of the Delta State Police Command, Asaba, as a result of the violence.

Though, there were various versions of the cause of the violence, our correspondent learnt that some Igbo were provoked by the burial of the easterners who lost their lives in the North in Onitsha, about 15 minutes from Asaba.

The deceased were suspected to have been killed by Boko Haram.

The Igbo youths were said to have been angered by the thinking that while they were still mourning and burying their dead, the northerners in the area were going about their trading.

Some of the injured were receiving treatment at the Police Clinic and state hospital, Okwe, close to the division at the time of filing this report.

The popular Abraka Market operated by the northerners was deserted as hoodlums hijacked the situation to burgle shops in the market.

More than 10 truckloads of riot policemen were stationed at the Onitsha Bridge Head to quell the violence which took residents of the state capital by surprise.

A victim, who identified himself as Ibrahim, who had several machete cuts, said he was able to escape from Onitsha but was stopped by some hoodlums in Asaba who injured him and escaped with his motorcycle and mobile phones.

Another unconscious victim, a yam seller who had his face bloodied, recounted how he was hit on the head by his assailants while he was trying to escape.

“If not for the sake of the policemen who came to my rescue they would have killed me by now. We were caught unawares and there was no way we could have fought back as they far outnumbered us,” he said.

The Divisional Police Officer, Usman Yusuf, said the violence emanated from Onitsha, adding that the division was only trying to save the lives and property of the fleeing northerners.

http://www.punchng.com/news/confusion-in-asaba-as-igbo-hausa-clash/
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Proxytalk: 6:04am On Feb 10, 2012
they should leave these poor hausa people alone and face policemen that killed a bus driver at onitsha yesterday, the genesis of the whole violence
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Nobody: 6:09am On Feb 10, 2012
ak47mann:

Another unconscious victim, a yam seller who had his face bloodied, recounted how he was hit on the head by his assailants while he was trying to escape.

Look at the bolded and tell me illiteracy of those that think themselves literate is not the numero uno problem of that dungeon.

2 Likes

Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Nobody: 6:16am On Feb 10, 2012
^^where will you find the police, moreover most police are hausas, you know the jobless guys will want use this opportunity as excuse to retailate moreover i condemn this act tho! Nobody has power over life if you cant create one
by the way did anyone got killed?
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by BlackPikiN(m): 6:20am On Feb 10, 2012
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Afam4eva(m): 7:31am On Feb 10, 2012
Asaba Igbos are known to be violent that's why fleeing hausas always take refuge in Asaba as if it's hausaland. But I remember one incident when northerners were running into Asaba for their lives only to be met by another fierce blood thristy youths.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by MeAboki(m): 10:43pm On Feb 10, 2012
YEP, SO CALLED PEACEFUL CIVILIZED CHRISTIAN IGBOS, SMH sad
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by EzeUche(m): 10:56pm On Feb 10, 2012
Me_Aboki:

Sorry, but my people will not be turning the other cheek anymore.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by sheyguy: 11:22pm On Feb 10, 2012
Is this thread for real? An igbo man is killed in his land and all his people can do is go on a looting spree to enrich themselves. Now i see why the hausas/fulanis like to use the igbos as collateral damage while sparing their material things.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by bashr8: 11:29pm On Feb 10, 2012
they ran from frying pan to fire , instead of them to run into the barracks in onitsha, besides i thought they all moved back to the north
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by bashr8: 11:32pm On Feb 10, 2012
Me_Aboki:

not when you keep pushing them to the wall, remember during obj time when they brought dead bodies of igbos from the north the repraisal attack in onitsha and aba was very deadly , dead bodies of hausas and fulanis were littered on the express all the way from onitsha to awka.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by cheikh: 11:39pm On Feb 10, 2012
afam4eva
[b]Asaba Igbos are[b] known [/b]to be violent that's why fleeing hausas always take refuge in Asaba [/b]as if it's hausaland.

@^^ Is the above not a contradiction? Is the statement above really true of the indigenes of Asaba? Please check your facts before making such uninformed and presumptuous statement. Why would a fleeing Hausa person run to Asaba to seek refuge amongst presumed violent and dangerous (Igbo) speaking people, if your statement above is ok? Is it? There is a history of peaceful coexistence and tolerance actively promoted by the indigenes of Asaba hence Hausa people and the rest of Nigerians find the place very peaceful and interesting. Besides, much of Nollywood is now based in Asaba because of the inherent very good nature of the people of Asaba despite the horrors of the recent Nigerian history(war). They are amongst or perhaps the most forgiving and tolerant people in Nigeria. Please, do your research again wink.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by bashr8: 11:47pm On Feb 10, 2012
cheikh:

afam4eva

@^^ Is the above not a contradiction? Is the statement above really true of the indigenes of Asaba? Please check your facts before making such uninformed and presumptuous statement. Why would a fleeing Hausa person run to Asaba to seek refuge amongst presumed violent and dangerous (Igbo) speaking people, if your statement above is ok? Is it? There is a history of peaceful coexistence and tolerance actively promoted by the indigenes of Asaba hence Hausa people and the rest of Nigerians find the place very peaceful and interesting. Besides, much of Nollywood is now based in Asaba because of the inherent very good nature of the people of Asaba despite the horrors of the recent Nigerian history(war). They are amongst or perhaps the most forgiving and tolerant people in Nigeria. Please, do your research again wink.

they run to asaba because it is not a commercial city , attacks also dont happen in enugu,awka,asaba and owerri its mostly happens in aba and onitsha cus those are the commercial cities where you see all sorts of people and hoodlums.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by ak47mann(m): 12:11am On Feb 11, 2012
This is to show them that in onicha we use our GUNS loosely,we still stock in our ways,we are not paranoid very truly, dangerous,we will fucck up your flag and blast our way through cool
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by ak47mann(m): 12:12am On Feb 11, 2012
we about to take this war to new bracket bitcch cool cool you come over here, you fucck with us, we fucck u up so that Ur next door neighbour will not wana fucck with us cool
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by OK2NV: 12:16am On Feb 11, 2012
Africa. Some of you posting here are no different than your fellow country men in the north who are killing, maiming and r@ping all in the name of religion and ethnicity. Enjoy your civil war. No one will give a ratazz when it starts. It will just be another prime entertainment news for the rest of the world.

Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by NegroNtns(m): 12:43am On Feb 11, 2012
Im interested in this pic. . . . look at the intensity on this game. If this guy can use crooked and unpolished sticks to pocket rough-edged seed crops rolling on an uneven table surface, I wonder what he can achieve in accuracy and precision of play when tooled with advanced equipments.

Does anyone here know this guy? Id love to raise awareness on his behalf and get a pool table and equipment donated to him in that village. I am a billiard player and I am impressed with his ingenuity!

Respond if you know the dude please.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by MeAboki(m): 12:59am On Feb 11, 2012
cheikh:

afam4eva

@^^ Is the above not a contradiction? Is the statement above really true of the indigenes of Asaba? Please check your facts before making such uninformed and presumptuous statement. Why would a fleeing Hausa person run to Asaba to seek refuge amongst presumed violent and dangerous (Igbo) speaking people, if your statement above is ok? Is it?

No mind am, na so so e de display low IQ logic all over im posts; but just give am chance, e go quick talk say aboki no go school.

@ ExeUche and bashr8:
It is not about turning the other cheek or being pushed to wall, but the stance of igbos always (playing the victims card and) trying to claim the moral high ground of non violence.
How can you then reconcile your (above) positions with the teachings of Christianity or should we assume you are merely nominal Christians, or even jettison your faith? How also were the Hausas being attacked by your brothers in Onitsha responsible for the killing of the Igbo bus driver by the policeman? BTW, emerging information suggests that the policeman was not in fact Hausa or a Muslim but Tiv and a Christian; yet igbos were killing innocent Hausas for his crime.
The issue really is about Igbo double standards, where your ppls actions in this case proves Igbos are no better than the others they are criticizing.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by NegroNtns(m): 1:04am On Feb 11, 2012
BTW, emerging information suggests that the policeman was not in fact Hausa or a Muslim but Tiv and a Christian; yet igbos were killing innocent Hausas for his crime.

. . . you are kidding, right? Igbo slaughtered the wrong people you mean? I dont believe it!
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by bashr8: 1:08am On Feb 11, 2012
Me_Aboki:

No mind am, na so so e de display low IQ logic all over im posts; but just give am chance, e go quick talk say aboki no go school.

@ ExeUche and bashr8:
It is not about turning the other cheek or being pushed to wall, but the stance of igbos always (playing the victims card and) trying to claim the moral high ground of non violence.
How can you then reconcile your (above) positions with the teachings of Christianity or should we assume you are merely nominal Christians, or even jettison your faith? How also were the Hausas being attacked by your brothers in Onitsha responsible for the killing of the Igbo bus driver by the policeman? BTW, emerging information suggests that the policeman was not in fact Hausa or a Muslim but Tiv and a Christian; yet igbos were killing innocent Hausas for his crime.
The issue really is about Igbo double standards, where your ppls actions in this case proves Igbos are no better than the others they are criticizing.

we dont encourage killing of people especially innocent northernoers that are in onitsha to make their daily bread just like every other person but ask your self for how long will igbos continue to be christians, these things started before civil war and 1966 coup ,for how lng do you think they will let peace regn , right now you should be blaming your leaders,governors and religious leaders for allowing the killing of christians continue in the north and not igbos to preach moral judgement to.

see the difference between the north and the east , within hours the whole place was brought under control by police, army and govt even massob but in the north the killing spree will continue for days and all you muslim leaders wont utter a word about it.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by bashr8: 1:11am On Feb 11, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

. . . you are kidding, right? Igbo slaughtered the wrong people you mean? I dont believe it!

its does not really matter where he is from onitsha people am sure have been waiting for an excuse to go on revenge, trust me the onitsha residents i used to know would not have waitted this long. infact i will call this a minor fracas cus normally by now it should have spread to aba.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by NegroNtns(m): 1:13am On Feb 11, 2012
Bashr, stop your bigotry and make yourself valuable in society. Do you recognize of the players in that billiards game? Locate them.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by cfours: 1:21am On Feb 11, 2012
sad
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by BlackPikiN(m): 2:39am On Feb 11, 2012
Me_Aboki:

@ ExeUche and bashr8:

hahaha, Islam is a religion of peace!
I mean big time peace. You all will not say jack when Igbos are on the receiving end but you all wouldnt hesitate to use that your gworo chopping mouth to say rubbish when Igbos start a not-near-simple retaliation.

Dem just shake una, una begin dey shout like eddiiootttss.

So Hausa people love money die too. I thought they all packed to the North.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by UKBobo(m): 3:02am On Feb 11, 2012
Looking at events from a distance, it seems as though every group should be armed in order to protect themselves.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by cheikh: 3:19am On Feb 11, 2012
bashr8
they run to asaba because it is not a commercial city , attacks also dont happen in enugu,awka,asaba and owerri its mostly happens in aba and onitsha cus those are the commercial cities where you see all sorts of people and hoodlums.

@^^ It's the above kind of haughtiness and thinking, that's the bane of Igbo society today. Please find out why Hausa people instinctively choose to run to Asaba instead of other neighbouring smaller towns in Anambra, Enugu and Imo states. Your logic is very faulty and lacking in awareness of some basic[b] social history[/b]. It's a shame that the Hausa from faraway North of Nigeria are aware of such difference in behaviour and social history of a place like Asaba yet you don't have the simplest of insight about differences in behavioural patterns between so called Igbos across the Niger and those of the East. Please go and research or interview persons from Asaba especially the traditional ruler of the town. It's not a recent attitude to strangers by natives of Asaba, hence they were easy prey and victims of the infamous genocide/massacre by the same Hausa and Nigerian federal soldiers. There are so much in our Nigerian history and cultures that are obscured by ignorance and perhaps deliberate too, like everything else in Nigeria. The shame of it all, is that most of this subtle difference in culture and social history is common knowledge to the so called Hausa and Fulani living amongst the Igbos and other Nigerians. There are far more "all sorts of people and hoodlums" in Asaba than the indigenes in numbers yet there is an effective moral and social control/code of conduct operating in the town. Does Onitsha not have a traditional ruler etc like most Nigerian and Igbo towns etc? It's a choice to be bad and delinquent. Is Benin not a fairly big town populated by "all sorts" yet the Oba of Benin to some extent can actually issue orders that can effectively impact on the citizens of the city just like the Emirs in the North of Nigeria. Perhaps he has not done enough of that in recent times  hence there are a lot of "out of control" activities in the city. Nigerians have not used the traditional institutions well enough to work for us for national cohesion and peace because we are inherently lazy, wicked and thoughtless. We love chaos sad.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by BlackPikiN(m): 4:47am On Feb 11, 2012
^^^^Stop all this preaching.
Go to tell that to all the Emirs in the North!
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by cheikh: 5:05am On Feb 11, 2012
BlackPikiN
^^^^Stop all this preaching.
Go to tell that to all the Emirs in the North!

@^^ You'll continue to be a "victim" everywhere because you do not have a sense of history let alone the simplest of social awareness [/b]of your surroundings. You obviously did not understand let alone learn a thing or two from my post hence you [b]assumed that I was preaching or a pacifist grin. Far from it grin.  Please learn to comprehend properly before writing. I guess you know nothing about your society/culture hence your haughtiness. The Emirs are smarter than you think wink.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Nnenna1(f): 5:13am On Feb 11, 2012
^^^Are you trying to imply that other Igbo Cities have chaos and are comprised of a societal framework that is inherently bad?  undecided

I would like for you to explain what you mean by the nuances between the "so-called" Igbos across the Niger and the "real" Igbos, now that you're at it.

Btw, Asaba is just a small bridge away from Onitsha, unlike Aba and Owerri, which will take days on end to reach on foot.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Afam4eva(m): 5:14am On Feb 11, 2012
@Cheik
What exactly are you preaching? That northerners run to Asaba instead of Enugu or Owerri because people there have higher morals? Your logic is faulty because I don't know why you expect then to run to Enugu or Owerri that is over one hour away than Asaba that's just 10 minutes away.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by BlackPikiN(m): 5:33am On Feb 11, 2012
cheikh:

BlackPikiN

@^^ You'll continue to be a "victim" everywhere because you do not have a sense of history let alone the simplest of social awareness [/b]of your surroundings. You obviously did not understand let alone learn a thing or two from my post hence you [b]assumed that I was preaching or a pacifist grin. Far from it grin.  Please learn to comprehend properly before writing. I guess you know nothing about your society/culture hence your haughtiness. The Emirs are smarter than you think wink.

Satan punish all the Emirs. I say it again F0rk all the Emirs!

Now I dnt intend to go round with all your idle talk.
Tell me when the SE have gone around town to cause mayhem to the northerners living with them.
There have been tonnes of assault on the SE community living peacefully in the north, but the SE have continued to act dumb.

So the Emirs are doing their job when they allow all the almajiri to kill every Igbo man.

Finally, thunder fire the sultan to the least Emir!
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Ojiofor: 5:50am On Feb 11, 2012
I wonder if hausa peeps are attacked in a place like Aba where are they gonna run to? ASABA?aboki shine ur eyes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala, Saharareporters In War Of Words Over Nigerian Economy / Stakeholders Doubt December Handover Date Of Port Harcourt Refinery / June 12 Presidential Election Is Fiction – Tofa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.