Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,200 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash (9180 Views)

Yoruba And Hausa Clash In Mile 12 Lagos / ‘Prayer Man’ Tries To Revive Abubakar Audu, Confusion In Kogi / Three Killed, 30 Vehicles Burnt In Yoruba-hausa Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by OneNaira6: 6:39am On Feb 14, 2012
afam4eva:

@One naira
I meant to say the oppsite. It was a slip of keyboard. Does the sentence even make sense to you?

The implication the post directed towards is that you were correlating us to Hausa, in other words implying Asabaians are barbarians that attack anyone willy-nilly. As long as it is not as it implies, I'm alright with it. smiley
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by PhysicsQED(m): 1:50pm On Feb 14, 2012
Nnenna1:

One example is this thread. I find it interesting that there isn't as much political implication in the threads discussing the earlier attacks on the Northerners in Benin and Sapele as there is in this one. Why is that?

Do Benin and Sapele people have a history of clashes or conflict with Northerners? No.

It's obvious why any Igbo + North thread is going to result in a lot of political discussion on this forum.

@ chiekh, lol, I think you should bow out of this thread already and admit your hypothesis was wrong. . .
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Nnenna1(f): 2:31pm On Feb 14, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Do Benin and Sapele people have a history of clashes or conflict with Northerners? No.

It's obvious why any Igbo + North thread is going to result in a lot of political discussion on this forum.

Yes I know this. I was trying to imply that Igbos posters here should not be told to "forgive" and "forget" anymore than the rest of the Nigerian posters should be told to stop applying bias (from the past) in their political assessment of Igbos. It goes both ways.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Afam4eva(m): 3:37pm On Feb 14, 2012
@Nnenna
I agree with you. I've noticed that anything that happens in the east is always blown out of proportion. Even if the same event has occured elsewhere without eyebrows being raiised. For instance, let me use the Aba armed robbery era when all the banks closed shop. I noticed the way media houses and other Nigerians derived joy in over-shooting the incident. Now, just last year the same thing happened in Ogun and Ondo states where a day did not pass without an armed robbery incoident being recorded. Banks even had to close shop just like Aba but we never saw the same level of awareness from the media like they did during the Aba saga.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by cheikh: 9:43pm On Feb 14, 2012
PhysicsQED
lol, I think you should bow out of this thread already and admit your hypothesis was wrong. . .

@^^Maybe you're right or very wrong grin hence I was curious as to the reason(s) why a fleeing Hausa person will head for Asaba(Igbo) town instead of Obosi or some other nearby place in Anambra?. It's not just distance and geography alone that explains the desire to head for Asaba. It is a serious sociological enquiry. Let me give you a hint or part of the answer.

I am aware that there is a[b] traditional "Edict"[/b] against harming or killing of Strangers especially fleeing Hausa from across the Niger, by the traditional ruler and council of Asaba. Also, the people of Asaba it seems are scrupulously holding on to their ancient traditional values of hospitality towards strangers. It is considered an abomination and seriously objectionable to harm strangers just like any Igbo community. It is scrupulously observed and adhered to. It has nothing to do with size, distance or geography hence I advised posters to find out for themselves from the Hausa or from the indigenes of Asaba. It is obvious that the "enemy" wink knows a thing or two about the customs of his "pursuers", yet we have ignorant loud mouths who know nothing about their backyard giving us spurious geography lessons. It is like the great Oba of Benin with his council of Elders/advisers passing a traditional "Edict"in Benin City, do you think that it will not be obeyed or adhered to just because Benin is a so called "big" city or Capital of a modern Nigerian state? We should not forget that a majority of Nigerians are inherently traditional(world view) and are deferential to authority, traditional or government. I believe some Northern Emirs, may have similar authority or influence in their domain. Perhaps, mischievously, they do not wish to be proactive for a positive outcome. I may be wrong or perhaps I may not fully understand the constraints holding them back from doing the same like in Asaba and possibly in Benin too. Our traditional institutions and values have not died away because of so called "modernity". We can always look inwards and pick out those things that have helped us to maintain social cohesion and order in the absence of "Prisons" and "Police men" in our domain, before the arrival of destructive marauding Europeans and Arabs.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by cheikh: 10:41pm On Feb 14, 2012
Nnenna1
I also strongly believe that Nigerian potential would be fully realized[b] if the populace were homogeneous.[/b] I think that our number one undoing is this whole ethnic and religious hullabaloo that keeps us barking like wild dogs, feeling nothing close to love for Nigeria, and letting the real enemies continue to take us unaware while we do so.

It will actually be nice if a level of homogeneity is reached now but that won't happen in centuries - if Nigeria were to exist then, which is not likely, it seems.

@^^ Your post is so beautiful and thoughtful. I appreciate your sentiments. It is unfortunate that in the age of IPOD et al, most people find it difficult to read beyond headlines. It is also important that us as a people, need to exercise our minds a little more by reading, comprehending, listening and thinking or else we miss the "big picture", hence I am a little concerned about the perceived "defensive" attitudes of some NL Igbo. I hope with your very lovely post the "actors" or "pseudo-warriors" will have a rethink and tone down their "haughty" meaningless posts like any other Nigerian on NL. it is worrisome and wearisome too.

Homogeneity may help in national cohesion but our diversity is actually our strength. Is Somalia not one of the most homogeneous place on earth? We know of their total chaos, anarchy and almost 'permanent' self destructive war sad shocked.
We lack creativity and we want easy answers to everything in our national and personal life. We are lazy. It is easier and profitable for the ruling elite to stir up/ encourage mundane 'tribal' differences in order to maintain their hold on the purse strings and power base(corruption).
I think that our problems stem from the fact that our Leadership is inherently wicked, self centred, lazy, visionless and self destructive too. We glamourise and legitimise our gross Leadership deficit by ascribing excuses like "tribalism" or "ethnicity" to grotesque behaviour. Deliberate ignorance and Laziness is a shocking indictment on us all. Just take a look at the local government and state levels. Most of our Nigerian [b]states [/b]are almost homogeneous but are they exactly a picture of good successful leadership? I don't think so sad.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Nnenna1(f): 5:54am On Feb 15, 2012
^^^^I remember watching a documentary on Somalia and how "clans" and their respective warlords have been the major cause of the state of the country today. While they are are physically homogeneous and identify as Somali, they have a unique form of tribalism that has obviously gotten out of hand.

Much of Sub-Saharan Africa's problems are rooted in ethnocentrism and Xenophobia, IMO.

Thanks for the thoughtful message - I would also hope that you read my thoughts on how things are a two-way street with respect to politics here and have taken up an equal amount of understanding on your part, but whatever decision you take is up to you. Heh.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by cheikh: 9:03pm On Feb 15, 2012
Nnenna1
^^^^I remember watching a documentary on Somalia and how "clans" and their respective warlords have been the major cause of the state of the country today. While they are are physically homogeneous and identify as Somali, they have a[b] unique form of tribalism[/b] that has obviously gotten out of hand.

Much of Sub-Saharan Africa's problems are rooted in ethnocentrism and Xenophobia, IMO.

Thanks for the thoughtful message - I would also hope that you read my thoughts on how[b] things are a two-way street with respect to politics here [/b]and have taken up an equal amount of understanding on your part, but whatever decision you take is up to you. Heh.

@Nnenna ^^^ "It is said that if a person does not have any problem, then they'll have to invent one to keep busy"grin. I think that the Somali have a heightened sense of clannishness in the absence of identifiable "other" (tribe), that is culturally and linguistically distinct from each other like in Nigeria, Ethiopia, Kenya, the Cameroons, Tanzania, South-Africa, DRC Congo et al sad. Tribalism is quite distinct from Intra-Tribal rivalry(clan(ish). In Rwanda the lines are blurred but the differences and conflict between the citizens was exacerbated by the Belgian colonial domination of the country- "Divide and and Conquer". Anyway, that's what enemies do or should be expected of the Belgians.

Much of our so called African 'problems', outwardly, may appear rooted in ethnocentrism and xenophobia but are they really? We can always and easily ascribe all of our problems to both fancy words because it has become very handy and easy. It does not employ any intellectual rigour by our lazy, posturing pseudo-intellectuals(elite). It is almost frustrating when we deliberately wish our lives away by employing failed or borrowed inapplicable methods from other people who never can wish us well in the first place, in tackling inherent African problems. For example, we can easily tackle problems pertaining to Law and Order if we try a little harder to look inwards for solutions. Since so called "in-dependence" of a lot of African countries, the new self appointed and installed ruling elite have consistently and systematically grabbed power for themselves to the exclusion of the  traditional institutions everywhere, perhaps not wholly perfect but we can at least synthesise and legitimise our values. I guess it is very easy not to delve into such systems because it might sabotage the power base of the new elite who are inherently decadent and corrupt. Sister, the subject is rather deep and a little time consuming for a NL forum like this. Besides, it is off topic grin wink. Maybe another day, another place and time, we'll have a lengthy conversation on perhaps a variety of topics close to my heart as a concerned African(Naija) smiley in another forum/topic.

Yes it is a two way street. Personally, I cannot be flustered by foolish, ignorant loud mouth 'tribalists' or small minds because that's simply what it is smiley. Do not let such mischief making individuals affect your sense of self please. wink.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by igboboy1(m): 6:19am On Feb 18, 2012
^^checik alhaji biko put your house in order first before you come here and start giving us sermons and lectures,
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by Onlytruth(m): 11:38am On Feb 18, 2012
Asaba is one of the most important part of Igboland. All these mischievious gimmicks by oafs can never hoodwink us umu Igbo. We are waiting for anybody that will mess with our land. Nuff said. angry
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by cheikh: 1:02am On Feb 19, 2012
Onlytruth
Asaba is one of the most important part of Igboland. All these mischievious gimmicks [/b]by oafs can never hoodwink us umu Igbo. We are waiting for anybody that will mess with our land. Nuff said.

@^^ Eze Igbo NL, the salient points I made in my post should be very obvious to any serious "soldier" or "warrior" yet none of them was able to disprove my points. They went ballistic with the usual defensive sorry arse noises and curses peppered with the usual misinformation and "turanci". [b]Ignorance [/b]of what your "enemy" knows about you is the beginning of the end or loss of war wink. That was my point and not[b] presumptions
nor assumptions or simplistic explanations - "distance" and "geography" lessons grin. All they could have done, is find out for themselves if I was wrong or right by doing their own research. After all they claim to be the foot soldiers of the Igbo race yet they lack basic awareness and understanding of their backyard. Perhaps they are lost in faraway lands hence their abject ignorance of their own society which the purported "enemy" knows very well. Sincerely, laziness and sloppiness is not an option in "war" and some loud mouths on NL should be cautioned and called to order as they know nothing about the backyard they claim to represent wink cool. I respect your views, especially on business and defence without the curses though grin.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by OneNaira6: 1:12am On Feb 19, 2012
cheikh:

Onlytruth

@^^ Eze Igbo NL, the salient points I made in my post should be very obvious to any serious "soldier" or "warrior" yet none of them was able to disprove my points. They went ballistic with the usual defensive sorry arse noises and curses peppered with the usual misinformation and "turanci". Ignorance [/b]of what your "enemy" knows about you is the beginning of the end or loss of war wink.  That was my point and not[b] presumptions nor assumptions or simplistic explanations -  "distance" and "geography" lessons grin. All they could have done, is find out for themselves if I was wrong or right by doing their own research. After all they claim to be the foot soldiers of the Igbo race yet they lack basic awareness and understanding of their backyard. Perhaps they are lost in faraway lands hence their abject ignorance of their own society which the purported "enemy" knows very well. Sincerely, laziness and sloppiness is not an option in "war" and some loud mouths on NL should be cautioned and called to order as they know nothing about the backyard they claim to represent wink cool. I respect your views, especially on business and defence without the curses though grin.

You honestly thought what you said needed to be opposed or fought against. ROFLMFAO. I'm from Asaba and I barely paid mind to your dabbles, now imagine how a SE or anambra would have thought. It was easy to detect your purpose on that line of comments without bothering to analyze it.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by cheikh: 4:41am On Feb 19, 2012
One_Naira
You honestly thought what you said needed to be opposed or fought against. ROFLMFAO. I'm from Asaba and I barely paid mind to your dabbles, now imagine how a SE or anambra would have thought. It was easy to detect your purpose on that line of comments without bothering to analyze it

@^^ Why don't you confirm or disprove my hypothesis as PhysicsQED called it grin? You can simply add to our pool of knowledge if you are from Asaba as you claimed and let's see if my "hypothesis" is right or wrong without sentiments or ethnocentrism. The truth shall set you free wink. I am not hating nor trying to put a wedge between brothers please grin. It is all for better understanding and knowledge about our various societies in Nigeria without falsehoods or sophistry by some air heads on NL. It is about proper education based on facts not sentiments grin. It does not diminish anybody to admit it, if we are wrong or right. It is not a contest or "war" either grin.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by OneNaira6: 6:18am On Feb 19, 2012
cheikh:

One_Naira

@^^ Why don't you confirm or disprove my hypothesis as PhysicsQED called it grin? You can simply add to our pool of knowledge if you are from Asaba as you claimed and let's see if my "hypothesis" is right or wrong without sentiments or ethnocentrism. The truth shall set you free wink. I am not hating nor trying to put a wedge between brothers please grin. It is all for better understanding and knowledge about our various societies in Nigeria without falsehoods or sophistry by some air heads on NL. It is about proper education based on facts not sentiments grin. It does not diminish anybody to admit it, if we are wrong or right. It is not a contest or "war" either grin.

You've not provided anything to support your so called hypothesis, just of you saying it does not make it true. You have neither provided any facts, figures or article, like asked, to support your thesis thus why should anyone take it seriously?
If you actually want me to take this your brohaha seriously, provide the necessary documents like they asked such as articles of hausa running to Asaba from Enugu or any other SE region when conflict arise, until such necessary documents are provided, everything you are saying is disregarded as "trash".
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by cheikh: 9:55pm On Feb 19, 2012
One_Naira
You've not provided anything to support your so called hypothesis, just of you saying it does not make it true. You have neither provided any facts, figures or article, like asked, to support your thesis thus why should anyone take it seriously?
If you actually want me to take this your brohaha seriously, provide the necessary documents like they asked such as articles of hausa running to Asaba from Enugu or any other SE region when conflict arise, until such necessary documents are provided, everything you are saying is disregarded as "trash".

@^^ I challenged the loud mouths including yourself who claimed to come from Asaba to disprove my so called "hypothesis". Sincerely, you are part of the problem of Nigeria promoting-  deliberate ignorance and engaging in sophistry [/b]to obscure the [b]truth or fact. If you are from Asaba or fleeing Hausa, why don't you confirm or disprove my assertion about the "traditional Edict" that forbade the harming of strangers or fleeing persons. My friend do not add to our collective confusion and ignorance. Just admit it that you do not know shikena grin. I wonder why some of you are mentioning faraway Enugu and Aba whereas the topic is about fleeing HAUSA in Onitsha. It is not about our silly egos or looking good or bad. It takes nothing away from you and your ilk grin. Have a good day wink.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by OneNaira6: 2:52am On Feb 20, 2012
cheikh:

One_Naira

@^^ I challenged the loud mouths including yourself who claimed to come from Asaba to disprove my so called "hypothesis". Sincerely, you are part of the problem of Nigeria promoting-  deliberate ignorance and engaging in sophistry [/b]to obscure the [b]truth or fact. If you are from Asaba or fleeing Hausa, why don't you confirm or disprove my assertion about the "traditional Edict" that forbade the harming of strangers or fleeing persons. My friend do not add to our collective confusion and ignorance. Just admit it that you do not know shikena grin. I wonder why some of you are mentioning faraway Enugu and Aba whereas the topic is about fleeing HAUSA in Onitsha. It is not about our silly egos or looking good or bad. It takes nothing away from you and your ilk grin. Have a good day wink.

As usual, a child caught in his own web of lies would run around in circles in an effort to save him or herself, while still entangling himself/herself in that same web. What need for I to argue against your hypothesis when you are literally staring face with an article that disproves your theory. WTF?  grin grin grin Agreeable, Asaba, similar to any Igbo community are acceptable to any foreigner as long as he or she does not cross our community or the Igbo community in general. A well known fact proven even by the article.

You, ironically enough, brought in the far away Igbo nations into this discussion yet wondering why everyone is asking you to back up it.
A past quote of yours
"Please find out why Hausa people instinctively choose to run to Asaba instead of other neighbouring smaller towns in Anambra, Enugu and Imo states."
which bring us back to find articles of Hausa fleeing from Enugu that went to Asaba rather than a neighboring state or to make even easier for you find articles of Hausa fleeing from Akwa Anambra, ran past onicha and other neighbor towns and ran straight to Asaba, a city further away from them (unlike Asaba and Onicha connection), in effort to elude persecution. Until such documents are provided just accept you are ignorant of what you speak and admit your hidden intention of that line of argument. I've seen individual like yourself try the same act repeatedly in the past months, comically enough, they also deny it when caught.

Even non-Igbo have informed you of your ignorance of such theory, so far only you seem to believe your so called self proclaimed "vast" knowledge. Dude just accept defect when you are defeated rather than entangling yourself some more.
Re: Confusion In Asaba As Igbo, Hausa Clash by vanstanzy(m): 3:04pm On Jul 07, 2012
sheyguy: Is this thread for real? An igbo man is killed in his land and all his people can do is go on a looting spree to enrich themselves. Now i see why the hausas/fulanis like to use the igbos as collateral damage while sparing their material things.

Ur illiteracy is second to none. U could have told the moderator that u can't read, or that u only read at night. Clearly u did not read the post. Don't even beg me to explain the post to u, cos i won't. WHY AM I WASTING MY TIME ON U ANYWAY?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prof. Kperogi Denies Accusing FG Of Spending £6million On Buhari's Health Trip / See Photos Of Fulani Herdsmen Shot Dead After They Attacked Igangan On Saturday / I Will Fulfill My Promises – President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.